Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-16-2005, 09:33 AM   #1
Balldog
Pro Rookie

The Diet....

With the conlcusion of baseball season next Monday my gym membership begins Wednesday the 25th. A few years ago I posted about losing 30 some pounds, I am mainly focusing on adding muscle to my upper body while mainting my lower body, I'm one of those guys that has pretty decent size legs with a small chest and skinny arms. Almost forgot to mention, a slight beer gut. I am currently at 6'3" 185 lbs, was 6'3" 225 lbs, would like to be at 6'3" 205 lbs adding 20 lbs of muscle (at least).

I am trying to find a diet that includes 2500 calories and 280g of protein. I am finding this to be pretty hard without taking some Whey Protein shakes or supplements. Right now what I have is taking three shakes / day and two chicken breasts / day as my main provider of protein. This is getting me up to 270g of protein and around 2000 calories.

Also, I have a Men's Health Magazine at home I am thinking about pulling some ideas from. Some of the stuff they have is a little too extreme, I don't want to eat any shrimp spaghetti and weird shit like that.

Guess I am asking for some diet ideas, I would like to stay away from the protein shake stuff but I am thinking it's not going to be possible to do so.

Your thoughts please...

Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:54 AM   #2
wade moore
lolzcat

What's weird about shrimp and pasta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:10 AM   #3
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
What's weird about shrimp and pasta?

I'm not a seafood type of guy.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:42 AM   #4
Telle
College Starter

Add in some eggs, low-fat cheese, and skim milk. You can put cheese on just about anything, and hard-boiled eggs make great snacks (also the whites are where the protein is, so if you want to cut out fat just don't eat the yoke). If you can stand beans, they can be slipped into most any entree or salad. Have larger portions of meat. I'd also recommend varrying what kind of meat you eat.. chicken breast can get kind of boring after awhile if that's all you're eating.
Telle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:45 AM   #5
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Protein bars and Stallone's pudding. Stallone's pudding has 20g of protein. It's casein as well, so it's "ideal" for a snack before you sleep.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:53 AM   #6
Havok
College Starter

Protein bars for teh win!!

Seriously i love them... i buy 'Extreme' protein bars at Wal-mart for a $1.50 each and they have 30 grams of protein, like 350 calories and 5 grams of creatine.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:02 AM   #7
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm a fan of "OneWay" bars by Designer Whey. No creatine that I recall, but similar amounts of protein and calories. I sold a box of them to one customer last week. Yesterday the same guy came in and bought 3 boxes of them from me.

Last edited by Poli : 05-16-2005 at 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:17 AM   #8
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast
Protein bars and Stallone's pudding. Stallone's pudding has 20g of protein. It's casein as well, so it's "ideal" for a snack before you sleep.

Is this pudding available only at GNC?
Old 05-16-2005, 11:27 AM   #9
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast

is that "Frank Stallone's" Pudding?

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:28 AM   #10
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog
Is this pudding available only at GNC?

I think you can buy it through Instone Nutrition as well. I think other places carry it as well.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:31 AM   #11
Balldog
Pro Rookie

This stuff sounds good.

I think I am going to go with something similar to what is in that Men's Health Magazine and just replace the stuff I don't like with these alternatives.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:31 AM   #12
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
is that "Frank Stallone's" Pudding?

Get a hobby.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:54 AM   #13
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

You are not going to gain on 2,500 calories a week. You won't do much of anything. Love the protein, good call on that. Many people are afraid to give their bodies that much. You really need to up the calories though.

Think 3,000 at a minimum. Try to eat "clean". That means slow burners... oatmeal (not the kind loaded with sugars), brown rice, apples

I've gone through several periods of growth. I started as a cyclist competing at a high level. I was at my peak, 6'2", and 171lbs. Around 8-9% bodyfat. I never had a 6-pack, even when I was that light and riding 30+ hours a week. It's not in my genetics. If you're looking for that, it may or may not work out for you.

I'm now up to 212 or so. It's a MASSIVE difference. I did it through lifting and eating. Eating every 3 hours, eating "clean" food. TONS of chicken, quick digesting whey after lifting, and controlling the timing and type of food I eat to use insulin to my advantage.

The lifting I do/did is generally around heavier weights. Your body, after just 30minutes of weight training will begin having much higher levels of cortisol (catablic and a cause of VAT fat storage). I try to limit my lifting to 45minutes or so. It's easier to look forward to, keep high energy during, and be extremely productive during.

DO NOT start buying supplements without knowing what they are. Anything you want to buy, I can direct you towards an on-line company or four that I have already used and can vouch for. It will save you at least 50% over what you'd pay otherwise.

In the end, you need to lift with a solid routine, and you need to eat well, and most importantly recover. Rest is where you make the gains. Food lets the gains come, and lifting makes the meat want to grow
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 12:00 PM   #14
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnMikeBrown
You are not going to gain on 2,500 calories a week. You won't do much of anything. Love the protein, good call on that. Many people are afraid to give their bodies that much. You really need to up the calories though.

Think 3,000 at a minimum. Try to eat "clean". That means slow burners... oatmeal (not the kind loaded with sugars), brown rice, apples

I've gone through several periods of growth. I started as a cyclist competing at a high level. I was at my peak, 6'2", and 171lbs. Around 8-9% bodyfat. I never had a 6-pack, even when I was that light and riding 30+ hours a week. It's not in my genetics. If you're looking for that, it may or may not work out for you.

I'm now up to 212 or so. It's a MASSIVE difference. I did it through lifting and eating. Eating every 3 hours, eating "clean" food. TONS of chicken, quick digesting whey after lifting, and controlling the timing and type of food I eat to use insulin to my advantage.

The lifting I do/did is generally around heavier weights. Your body, after just 30minutes of weight training will begin having much higher levels of cortisol (catablic and a cause of VAT fat storage). I try to limit my lifting to 45minutes or so. It's easier to look forward to, keep high energy during, and be extremely productive during.

DO NOT start buying supplements without knowing what they are. Anything you want to buy, I can direct you towards an on-line company or four that I have already used and can vouch for. It will save you at least 50% over what you'd pay otherwise.

In the end, you need to lift with a solid routine, and you need to eat well, and most importantly recover. Rest is where you make the gains. Food lets the gains come, and lifting makes the meat want to grow

GNC = ripoff.

Gold card or not.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:10 PM   #15
Subby
lolzcat

Stay away from skim milk. That shit is one of the worst frauds perpetuated on mankind in the past 50 years.

Maybe I am overstating it...but fat aids in nutrition aborption - you want some fat in the milk.

Milk has a ton of sugar though - might be worth looking at lite vanilla soy milk instead...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 12:44 PM   #16
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Canned tuna is another great source of protein if you can stand to eat it. I try to eat around 2 or so of the 6 oz. cans a day. 1 can has 37g of potein and only 2.5 g of fat with 0g sat fat. (Make sure you get the "solid white" variety for the highest protien and lowest fat contents.)

Subby, I don't know anything about fat aiding in nutrition absorption. I am on a new diet and I try to eat non-fat EVERYTHING. I probably only eat 10-15 g of fat a day now, and I almost never eat saturated fat. (Or sugar for that matter) I'm a rookie at this though, so I could be going about it wrong.

Last edited by mrsimperless : 05-16-2005 at 12:45 PM.
mrsimperless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 12:55 PM   #17
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Never thought of tuna, I don't mind it as long as it is in pita bread.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:58 PM   #18
Telle
College Starter

Quote:
Stay away from skim milk. That shit is one of the worst frauds perpetuated on mankind in the past 50 years.

Maybe I am overstating it...but fat aids in nutrition aborption - you want some fat in the milk.

Milk has a ton of sugar though - might be worth looking at lite vanilla soy milk instead...

I only suggested skim milk because I figured that he was looking for low-fat options (since he mentioned eating chicken, not just meat in general). Also, soy milk has a ton of sugar in it in order to make it drinkable.. I'd assume the lite has less sugar but might taste too nasty to be bothered drinking.
Telle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 01:06 PM   #19
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I prefer skim milk with my protein shakes actually.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:44 PM   #20
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Something that kind of bugs at me too. . .

When did men's health become some sort of credible magazine? Entertaining perhaps, but would you think of ever not criticizing your significant other if they started doing a diet from Glamour? Somebody else started a diet they'd found in a men's magazine that sounded odd, and I didn't say anything. I always feel a little guilty for not saying such when I think about it.

I'd encourage you to do some independent research on this. Sit down for a night and plug away on different bodybuilding sites. No, you don't want to be a bodybuilder or look like one (probably) but a summer of hard work isn't going to make anybody look like one. They do have the market cornered on diet and what works. They especially know how to put lean mass on.

I second what AE said, I love to put the milk in my shakes, but with limits. Only when I'm trying to push weight on do I do it, and I usually don't use skim. Fats are not a bad thing, especially from great sources like fish (yummy omega 3's!). The shakes, which already taste kind of nice to me, are almost decadent when made with milk.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:25 PM   #21
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Here is a site that has an excellent table on it. It is a vegn vs. meat kind of site, but just ignore that since you are probably not into it. The table has tons of foods on it, their protein levels, and other information.

http://www.soystache.com/plant.htm
Old 05-16-2005, 10:52 PM   #22
Subby
lolzcat

8th Continent Lite Vanilla SoyMilk has just 5g of sugar per serving and tastes like sweet nectar.

Low fat diets are doomed to fail. Your body needs fat. Fat satiates you and aids in nutrition absorption. Lean fats and proteins and vegetables are the way to go. Tuna, Salmon, Cheese, Chicken, Tofu, Avacado, Nuts. YES!!!!!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 05-16-2005 at 10:52 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:29 PM   #23
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

If you want to get lots of protein just go for the double whopper with extra mayo on top.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:38 PM   #24
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Tuna, Salmon, Cheese, Chicken, Tofu, Avacado, Nuts. YES!!!!!

Need a towel to wipe up your mess?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:02 AM   #25
JeeberD
General Manager

This should be a "Ping: indoorsoccersim" thread

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:56 AM   #26
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

It's summer time and it's time for me to drop the 15 lbs I gained this semester in nursing schoool.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:55 PM   #27
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Does anyone have any good links for information on fat consumption? Like I said, I'm going for a mainly lowfat diet with no cheese, skim milk, etc.

Subby, I'm interested in where you got your information and I'd like to learn more.