Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-24-2005, 02:58 PM   #1
maximus
Banned

Any updates on what Solecismics' next sim is going to be?

Although I am hoping it to be either TCY2 or imo better yet a graphically updated verion of FOF5(6) *think FM2005 or OOTP*, I would to at least have an update. I believe Jim mentioned something awhile back but there are so many threads and I don't remember which one it was. I believe he said he was going to announce something this spring. Is this correct?

maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 03:06 PM   #2
Flasch186
Coordinator

FOC

Front Office Curling....I think he guaranteed that, didnt he?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 03:14 PM   #3
jbmagic
Pro Starter

i think it will be TCY before FOF because its the older one.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 03:18 PM   #4
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
i think it will be TCY before FOF because its the older one.

ha ha
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 03:20 PM   #5
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

To be honest I stopped caring a long time ago... I don't understand his logic in not saying what it is...
Old 04-24-2005, 03:42 PM   #6
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I think he has explained before in some recent thread that he works on several projects at once, and that has something to do with him not announcing projects far in advance?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 03:47 PM   #7
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I think he has explained before in some recent thread that he works on several projects at once, and that has something to do with him not announcing projects far in advance?

Does that make sense to you?
Old 04-24-2005, 03:49 PM   #8
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop
Does that make sense to you?

Yes. I like to do creative writing in my spare time, and I write on several different projects at once because I sometimes become stuck or bored with one of them.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 04:02 PM   #9
gstelmack
Pro Starter

He' still got 2-3 months before we should be expecting any announcements:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...6&postcount=16
Old 04-24-2005, 04:13 PM   #10
Joe
Pro Starter

does it really matter? most of you will buy it no matter what it is.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 04:31 PM   #11
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
does it really matter? most of you will buy it no matter what it is.

bingo
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 04:35 PM   #12
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I won't buy unless the reviews from this site say this game is A++...
Old 04-24-2005, 04:46 PM   #13
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Quote:

Why am I betting that they will be...
Old 04-24-2005, 04:49 PM   #14
cody8200
High School Varsity

Quote:

Maybe you better to a different site to get a review...has this site ever said his games are not a++? Sure people ahve had problems but this is afterall a Jim fansite.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 05:07 PM   #15
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody8200
Maybe you better to a different site to get a review...has this site ever said his games are not a++? Sure people ahve had problems but this is afterall a Jim fansite.

Actually i wouldn't consider this a Jim fansite... because this site has long past out-grown him. It has become something else which just happens to have the FOF title in it. Unless I am just blown away from his feature list and some of the feedback from other members of this board, I won't buy his game. Because as it stands I will buy NCAA 2006 before I consider TCY and that is saying alot considering I use to perfer Jim's game to anything on a console. Consider me a bitter fan who doesn't like secrets...
Old 04-24-2005, 05:21 PM   #16
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Actually i wouldn't consider this a Jim fansite... because this site has long past out-grown him. It has become something else which just happens to have the FOF title in it. Unless I am just blown away from his feature list and some of the feedback from other members of this board, I won't buy his game. Because as it stands I will buy NCAA 2006 before I consider TCY and that is saying alot considering I use to perfer Jim's game to anything on a console. Consider me a bitter fan who doesn't like secrets...

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 04-24-2005, 05:30 PM   #17
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody8200
Are you talking about FOFC? If so, I'm surprised, given how long you've been a member, that you would say that. I don't feel that's the case at all.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:47 PM   #18
Joe
Pro Starter

maybe Druez will do a review of his next game. his fof2k4 one was so great.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:12 PM   #19
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186

I offended you?
Old 04-24-2005, 06:15 PM   #20
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
maybe Druez will do a review of his next game. his fof2k4 one was so great.

I don't think Druez does reviews for free, does he?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:22 PM   #21
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
I don't think Druez does reviews for free, does he?

you'd have to ask Joe Stallings about their arrangement.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:34 PM   #22
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
I offended you?

nope

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 04-24-2005, 06:37 PM   #23
maximus
Banned

OK< back to the original subject. If I remember correctly Jim did knid of hint to a football game, didn't he?
Old 04-24-2005, 06:44 PM   #24
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

it's going to be front office lockout. naviagte your franchise through labro strife towards the ultimate goal: a labor impasse!
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 08:56 PM   #25
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Quote:
you'd have to ask Joe Stallings about their arrangement.
ouch
Old 04-24-2005, 08:57 PM   #26
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
nope

Old 04-24-2005, 08:59 PM   #27
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

I consider you a bitter fan who doesn't like secrets.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:03 PM   #28
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
I consider you a bitter fan who doesn't like secrets.

Old 04-24-2005, 09:08 PM   #29
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I consider these "Whats the next game?" threads way more annoying now then the secret of what the game is. I actually back the secret keeping now.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:12 PM   #30
JimboJ
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Yes. I like to do creative writing in my spare time, and I write on several different projects at once because I sometimes become stuck or bored with one of them.

And why is it a bad thing to talk about what you're working on? Would that give some kind of advantage to the competition? I'm not expecting a feature list or anything. Maybe something like "I'm working on a new football game and a hockey game, but I'm not sure when they will be released."
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:13 PM   #31
McSweeny
College Starter

it seems that the keeping of the "secret" creats far more buzz than an announcement followed by months of waiting would. We seem to have one of these threads every 3 weeks
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:44 PM   #32
streetballer22
Mascot

As a prospective FOF2K4 buyer this info would be very helpful to me.
streetballer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 10:25 PM   #33
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
I consider these "Whats the next game?" threads way more annoying now then the secret of what the game is. I actually back the secret keeping now.

I tend to agree, but consider that if we get rid of the secret keeping, we also get rid of these threads (or limit them to the dummies who just aren't paying any attention). I say let's finish off both at once.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 11:15 PM   #34
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I would be suprised, very suprised if jims next game for FOF. Then again, I could be very wrong. Look at the most successful developer on this board. AFAIK, he never strayed from CM and look where it took him...

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 11:54 PM   #35
cody8200
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Are you talking about FOFC? If so, I'm surprised, given how long you've been a member, that you would say that. I don't feel that's the case at all.

Yeh FOFC. I agree that there is always some dissent around these boards after a game is released but compared to the forum at OOTP or when .400 studios forum was around, this forum is much less antagonistic towards Jim's games. I guess I'm mainly comparing it to how many people at the OOTP forums tore Markus apart over OOTP 6 when it came out due to bugs or lack of features or that they didn't like the new RISP system.

I also want to comment that I have liked all of Jim's games but I reiterate that I don't remember hearing too much criticism (when compared with other game forum sites) for any of them since he got rid of EA.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:23 AM   #36
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

I just hope the next game is released soon. I havent bought a game in a while.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:46 AM   #37
Icy
Pro Starter

I must admit i agree with noop:

I agree that is a bad politic for game developers to set a releasing date in advance as they could bring them some problems like angry fans if it's not released at that date, we all are so impatient. But i dont' agree at all with Jim that to not to give out any info about his next project is a good thing for his bussines. It could help him to create expectation on this board, but to have previews, news etc at games sites/boards helps a lot to create expectation too and i'm sure it would help him a lot on his games spreading and at the end sales that is what matters.

Now examples of good and bad politics IMHO and how a company learned from their mistakes:

400ss: they set release dates way in advance, they couldn't release their games on that set dates, that created tons of angry fans who pushed them and made them to release buggy games because the rush and at the end that killed their bussines (along with personal problems).

Greydog: they say some months in advance what are their new projects, this helps them to get tons of feedback from customers, this excites the fan base, this spread their future works, and at the end i think it brings him more and more fans and sales. In the other hand, they don't say now any release date until they know for sure they can meet it, so they don't create false expectations. I must admit i really like their new bussines politics when i didn't like them at all when they were 400ss. They showed how they learned and how open minded they were to be able to change.

Of course this is just my vision of bussines, Jim can do what he wants and i'll keep buying his games if i like them as i have bought all them until now, but that doesn't mean i apreciate his bussines politics as customer related to new projects, i just love his games and the free and great support that he keeps giving us with new patches etc but i'm really tired about this secrets about new games, about the lack of info about how some things work in FOF for example (after some years we still don't know how works the double cover, etc) and it really pisses me as i'm sure it does to tons of his fans that maybe are afraid to say it in public with the fear that Jim could get angry at them and not release any game, that is a plain stupid thought as of course Jim develops games for fun and as bussines and he won't stop to develop games just because some of us doesn't agree with his politics about new projects.

In resume, it's his bussines and he runs it as he wants, but imho this doesn't help his sales at all, one thing is to not to say a release date and another to not even say if he is working or not an anything new (we have guessed it based on answers at some threads). Anyway this is just my rant, of course he will keep doing what he wants as all us do with our bussines and i hope it is working for him this way but as one of his games fan that i am, i whish he was much more communicative with his fans and customers.

Last edited by Icy : 04-25-2005 at 03:49 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:22 AM   #38
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I've been through six release cycles now, and I have a very good idea of what works and what doesn't when it comes to publicity.

I've tried many different methods, and playing it close to the vest has met with the most positive reaction in the long run. I realize that a few of you are frustrated. But I think most of you understand that it doesn't do you one bit of good to know what I'm doing in the privacy of my own home. It seems like the same two or three people complaining, over and over. I got the message, so you can stop that pitiful whining now.

When I have something to announce, people here will be the first to know. I'm not going to win you over with hype or empty promises. I am going to win you over with quality products and long maintenance cycles.

Experience tells me that the shorter the pre-release period, the better. And that period starts the minute I announce a new product is coming. I have nothing to announce right now. Trust me, it's better this way.

Honestly, I've mostly been doing other things for the last few months. I have a few games and other projects I've been working on over the last couple of years, but nothing remotely near release right now, and no guarantee any of these projects will ever see release. So why talk about them? They don't matter one bit until you can download them.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:50 AM   #39
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
I've been through six release cycles now, and I have a very good idea of what works and what doesn't when it comes to publicity.

I've tried many different methods, and playing it close to the vest has met with the most positive reaction in the long run. I realize that a few of you are frustrated. But I think most of you understand that it doesn't do you one bit of good to know what I'm doing in the privacy of my own home. It seems like the same two or three people complaining, over and over. I got the message, so you can stop that pitiful whining now.

When I have something to announce, people here will be the first to know. I'm not going to win you over with hype or empty promises. I am going to win you over with quality products and long maintenance cycles.

Experience tells me that the shorter the pre-release period, the better. And that period starts the minute I announce a new product is coming. I have nothing to announce right now. Trust me, it's better this way.

Honestly, I've mostly been doing other things for the last few months. I have a few games and other projects I've been working on over the last couple of years, but nothing remotely near release right now, and no guarantee any of these projects will ever see release. So why talk about them? They don't matter one bit until you can download them.

At least now we know that you're not going to release a game soon, we all were thinking that a new game could be released or at least enounced before the summer (reading betwen lines in the few comments you made) and that false hype is worst that knowing the true from you imho. I respect your opinion but i think more communication (like right now) would be better but as i said before and you just said, you know what is better for your bussines, i just said what i think it's not good in my opinion but of course it means nothing so i will stop my pitiful whining now and only will tell you how happy i am when you release a new game or patch.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:29 AM   #40
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I think this means he's working on Front Office Baby: The Toddler Years.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:36 AM   #41
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
It seems like the same two or three people complaining, over and over. I got the message, so you can stop that pitiful whining now.

I am a bitter, pitiful and whining fan....that sounds about rigth. Only thing your missing is I whine with bad grammar.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:37 AM   #42
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
doesn't do you one bit of good to know what I'm doing in the privacy of my own home.

Front Office Standoff!

You want your privacy, and the government needs to just stay away! Stockpile weapons, build secret bunkers in and around your house. Don't forget to buy those gas masks for when the ATF and FBI try to come in. Do you sneak out a secret door? Or stay and get into a gun fight with help from those around you?

Later expansion pack will include scenarios for Ruby Ridge, Waco, and other well known standoffs.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:58 PM   #43
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:

Hah. Front Office Tour De France.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 01:18 PM   #44
maximus
Banned

Just for the record, I wasn't complaining about not having updates but rather didn't remember what Jim said about an announcement but someone already answered that question in an eariler post.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:07 PM   #45
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
Front Office Standoff!

You want your privacy, and the government needs to just stay away! Stockpile weapons, build secret bunkers in and around your house. Don't forget to buy those gas masks for when the ATF and FBI try to come in. Do you sneak out a secret door? Or stay and get into a gun fight with help from those around you?

Later expansion pack will include scenarios for Ruby Ridge, Waco, and other well known standoffs.
You begin the game as a simple bearded man, armed only with a standard shotgun and the ability to yell "Get off my property!" in reference to the acre of land surrounding your one room shack. You have to build your empire from there.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote