Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-23-2005, 12:54 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

(fantasy baseball) Is it dishonest to trade a player you know is injured?

In one of my non-FOFC leagues, someone just tried to trade me Bonds for Roy Oswalt. Apparently he doesn;'t know what the #1 story has been in the last 24 hours.

Do you consider it insulting when someone tries to trade you a player you know is injured semi-long term?

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 12:57 PM   #2
rexallllsc
Banned

No, only because there's a chance Bonds will be back this year...
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 12:58 PM   #3
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
In one of my non-FOFC leagues, someone just tried to trade me Bonds for Roy Oswalt. Apparently he doesn;'t know what the #1 story has been in the last 24 hours.

Do you consider it insulting when someone tries to trade you a player you know is injured semi-long term?

In that case no. It's so obvious that maybe he is thinking you may take a flyer on Bonds.

More underhanded are the not so obvious ones. In that case I'd not play in leagues where this was a tactic.

As always it's up to each owner to do their due dilligence but I've mostly played with friends who would not do that to begin with.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:02 PM   #4
JHandley
High School Varsity

I don't know if it's as much insulting as a sign of a lack of maturity on the other person's part. It's been my experience that immature people think the rest of the world is either exactly as smart as them or dumber. I wouldn't be insulted, but I would keep my eye on that person as someone I could take advantage of later.
JHandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 01:14 PM   #5
Anthony
Banned

everyone is supposed to do their own homework. i'm in a money league with my friends, and as soon as one of my guys goes down i'm buesy sending out trade offers trying to move him.

it's not my job to look out for other teams. i wouldn't blame someone if they traded me an injured guy.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 01:15 PM   #6
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I'd always preface an offer like that with something indicating there was new news about the injury. Everyone pays varying degrees of attention to the news, and especially during pre-season, something important could escape someone.

Nothing kills interest in a league more than an unfair trade, so, yes, I think there's something wrong with someone making an offer based on recent news without revealing that.

I agree with JH, the offer is immature. And it marks someone who isn't trading intelligently. He's selling low. I'd keep him in mind if one of his star players gets off to a slow start.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 01:27 PM   #7
Bee
Pro Starter

Can you counter offer him Barry Sanders for Barry Bonds?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 02:08 PM   #8
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I'd say its dishonest. If a player is injured, you should make it clear that the other person knows (like Jim said). The worst thing in a fantasy league is when someone pulls the trigger on a deal and then finds out the guy is injured for a good portion (and perhaps it JUUUUUST came on the news), and then is pissed off for the rest of the season.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:38 PM   #9
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I gotta agree with HA on this one. {shudder} It isn't my fault if my opponent hasn't done his homework. This isn't real life; it is *fantasy* baseball, a venue in which I have no problem with someone being as Machiavellian as possible when it comes to trades. For example, I would *never* make a trade during spring training with a guy who lived in Florida or Arizona, because there's always the chance that he saw his guy turn his ankle during warmups and sit out the game, and had the 4-1-1 before rotonews picked it up. Caveat emptor.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:54 PM   #10
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Yes, it's dishonest. How much dishonesty is acceptable will vary from league-to-league. If you're playing in a very competitive league then it's probably fair game, but in most "fun" leagues this kind of thing is misplaced.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:57 PM   #11
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Yes, it's dishonest. How much dishonesty is acceptable will vary from league-to-league. If you're playing in a very competitive league then it's probably fair game, but in most "fun" leagues this kind of thing is misplaced.

Particulary playing with people you know.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:15 PM   #12
JHandley
High School Varsity

I'm interested in how effective that philosophy works. The saying goes "Fool me once, shame on you...Fool me twice, shame on me" After you've screwed a guy in April, doesn't that pretty much sour the relationship to the point that when you need to make a July trade that could benefit both teams, there's no chance he'll pull the trigger, thinking you're trying to screw him again?

I do agree that you shouldn't have to do the fact-finding for him, and I can't stand it when trades are voided due to some kind of "fairness" safety net. I'm just not convinced you can ultimately come out ahead of the deal when you factor in the long-term effects. Especially in a keeper league, or a league of people you plan on playing with the following year and years.

Last edited by JHandley : 03-23-2005 at 03:16 PM.
JHandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 03:21 PM   #13
Huckleberry
College Starter

I really don't see it as dishonest. Did he claim Bonds won't miss any time?

All I see is that he offered to trade you the fantasy rights to Barry Bonds for the fantasy rights to Roy Oswalt. Because you pay at least a little attention to sports news, you know this might not be a good idea. At least much worse than it was 3 months ago.

I don't consider it insulting at all. I play in for-fun leagues with friends and they pull this kind of stuff just so they can mock you forever if you accept it. I would respond by offering him the fantasy rights to Cesar Izturis for Oswalt.

Better yet Juan Brito or someone like that for Oswalt.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings

Last edited by Huckleberry : 03-23-2005 at 03:24 PM.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote