Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-13-2005, 09:33 PM   #1
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

New Car

I just bought a 2005 Chevy Equinox(my first new car) on Saturday. I had no trade in, private financing and an employee discount for the total price of the car. So there was no negotiation whatsoever. I knew going in the dealer wouldnt love the situation, they were making $0 on me. However the actual auto salesman was kinda a jerkoff. He made no effort at all to make my wife and I comfortable. He told us he would make no money off of us as soon as I said I had an employee discount. Has anyone else been in a situation like this? I figured at least the guy would be happy with a sale.

bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 10:10 PM   #2
Clark
n00b

I had a similar experience buying a new Buick Rendezvous. I used the employee discount and the salesman was a total dick. I didn't mind his attitude with the deal I got.

Window sticker: $26,075
GM employee price: $22,917
With sales tax, title & registration: $24,154
Rebate + Gm Card earnings: -$5407
Total paid: $18,747
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 10:24 PM   #3
kcchief19
Pro Starter

A car salesman was a jerkoff -- there's a news flash. I'm not knocking all car salesmen -- we probably have one or two on FOFC and I'm sure they are upstanding individuals. But it's an industry with a seemingly statistically significant number of jerkoffs.

When Mrs. kcchief19 and I were shopping for a new car for her, we had a salesman trying to work his charm ask us -- I'm not kidding -- "So, what do you plan on using the car for?" We looked at each other and then looked at the salesman and in perfect unison said, "Driving."

Gold.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 10:26 PM   #4
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark
I had a similar experience buying a new Buick Rendezvous. I used the employee discount and the salesman was a total dick. I didn't mind his attitude with the deal I got.

Window sticker: $26,075
GM employee price: $22,917
With sales tax, title & registration: $24,154
Rebate + Gm Card earnings: -$5407
Total paid: $18,747
How do you like the Rendezvous? My company has a deal where I can get GM supplier pricing discount, which I think is a notch below employee pricing on the ol' discount chart, but the Rendezvous is the only thing somewhat in my price range that I would buy.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 11:37 PM   #5
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
How do you like the Rendezvous? My company has a deal where I can get GM supplier pricing discount, which I think is a notch below employee pricing on the ol' discount chart, but the Rendezvous is the only thing somewhat in my price range that I would buy.

I cant help with the Rendezvous but the supplier discount is 3% above dealer cost. So you CAN negotiate a little bit lower. Manufactuer rebate is $4000 which is SEPARATE from the price you pay.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:38 PM   #6
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

My uncle works for GM and my father used his family-discount one time. As my uncle told him, my father didn't mention the discount until everything else was settled on the car. Uncle said that's the way to do it. Get everything (optionwise, payments, etc.) all ironed out and THEN announce that you have the discount. Won't help now, but in the future I guess that's the way to do it.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 11:44 PM   #7
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
My uncle works for GM and my father used his family-discount one time. As my uncle told him, my father didn't mention the discount until everything else was settled on the car. Uncle said that's the way to do it. Get everything (optionwise, payments, etc.) all ironed out and THEN announce that you have the discount. Won't help now, but in the future I guess that's the way to do it.

You should never mention a trade in or private financing if possible until the last moment. However if you have an employee discount the price can change VERY little(aside from the trade in and financing). Manufacturers rebates dont change and dealer rebates are almost always cancelled when dealing with an employee discount.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:06 PM   #8
Clark
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19

I like it. I'm not crazy about the way it looks, but my wife likes it. Everyone comments about how nice it rides and I agree. You can fold the back seats up or take them out which is great for hauling stuff. I'm most impressed by the "fit and finish" of it. Not the usual rattles and poor fitting plastic of a typical GM built product. Apparently Buick is rated very high for reliability which is comforting.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote