Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-08-2005, 08:04 PM   #1
Bo Jackson's Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

What if #2. What if the Confederates win the Civil War?

Namely starting with Pickett's Charge being successful at Gettysburg.

Bo Jackson's Hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 08:08 PM   #2
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

The Confederacy would suffer a catastrophic economic collapse and the North would swoop in to finish the job.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 08:09 PM   #3
vtbub
College Starter

They needed the support of a major Euro power to survive long term.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 08:13 PM   #4
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

My knowledge of the US Civil War is limited, but in the long run, the South simply could not survive - like WW II with the US, the dominant power was likely to win, sooner or later.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 03-08-2005 at 08:13 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 08:20 PM   #5
Franklinnoble
Banned

Assuming the Confederacy makes it all the way North... burns and slaughers everything and nearly everyone from Philadelphia to New York City... then, maybe, the we're the CSA today instead of the USA.

But it's not likely. At all.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 08:22 PM   #6
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Would I know what grits were?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 08:34 PM   #7
Buccaneer
Head Coach

There have been so much written about this that it's amazing (and I think I have read most of these types of books). Much like the What If on American Revolution, the Civil War would be more of a 2nd-Order Counterfactual.

In fact, the book I am reading right now is Dixie Victorious - a series of essays about the South winning at any one of the many turning points (starting with the Trent Affair with Britain/France joining and the Union having to fight on two fronts). It is edited by Peter Tsouras who wrote perhaps the best alternate history Civil War book ever - An Alternative Gettysburg. In that book, he focuses on Longstreet successfully turning the Union's left flank and "Pickett's" Charge being better coordinated. However, interestingly, the success of the Charge proved devastating to Lee's army in that they immediately got enveloped (or swallowed up) from both flanks. Anyway, I would recommend Dixie Victorious if you want a good breadth of the ways the South would have won and their ramifications. But to answer the initial question, the 2nd-Order Counterfactual would have shown that the Union fighting again about 10 years later and winning both militarily and politically (not to mention that destruction of the Old South).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 08:36 PM   #8
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
There have been so much written about this that it's amazing (and I think I have read most of these types of books). Much like the What If on American Revolution, the Civil War would be more of a 2nd-Order Counterfactual.

In fact, the book I am reading right now is Dixie Victorious - a series of essays about the South winning at any one of the many turning points (starting with the Trent Affair with Britain/France joining and the Union having to fight on two fronts). It is edited by Peter Tsouras who wrote perhaps the best alternate history Civil War book ever - An Alternative Gettysburg. In that book, he focuses on Longstreet successfully turning the Union's left flank and "Pickett's" Charge being better coordinated. However, interestingly, the success of the Charge proved devastating to Lee's army in that they immediately got enveloped (or swallowed up) from both flanks. Anyway, I would recommend Dixie Victorious if you want a good breadth of the ways the South would have won and their ramifications. But to answer the initial question, the 2nd-Order Counterfactual would have shown that the Union fighting again about 10 years later and winning both militarily and politically (not to mention that destruction of the Old South).

Yes, but would sovereignstar know what grits are then?
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 08:42 PM   #9
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

NASCAR is the national sport?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:08 PM   #10
st.cronin
General Manager

Skydog would not be a dictator.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:20 PM   #11
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I think there are two possible outcomes. Either the previously mentioned war a decade or two later or the South would see the light and ask for readmittance with a few bones thrown their way and slavery still left undecided.

If their was another war it would be even more brutal than the Civil War. The aftermath would also be far more bitter with a likelyhood of a bloodbath after the North finally defeated the rebels.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:27 PM   #12
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
I think there are two possible outcomes. Either the previously mentioned war a decade or two later or the South would see the light and ask for readmittance with a few bones thrown their way and slavery still left undecided.

If their was another war it would be even more brutal than the Civil War. The aftermath would also be far more bitter with a likelyhood of a bloodbath after the North finally defeated the rebels.

Back in the 70's there was a wargame I glanced at once that was about the Civil War taking place in the 1930s. Had some backstory to it but I never got a chance to look at that. Always thought that would make for a good game, though, a look at the Civil War using 1930s technology before WW2.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:37 PM   #13
kingfc22
Head Coach

We would have a different flag.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:40 PM   #14
Dutch
"Dutch"

Wasnt' slavery on it's last legs in the 1860's? Was any industrialized nation still using slavery in 1860 besides the USA?
Dutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 12:50 PM   #15
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
Wasnt' slavery on it's last legs in the 1860's? Was any industrialized nation still using slavery in 1860 besides the USA?

Nope - I think it was limited to the US - though I'm wondering if you want to include the Caribbean colonies in this.

On the larger note, does anyone believe that an independent southern state would have lasted for more than 5-10 years - especially one based on preserving an institution that the rest of the world was trying to abolish (especially the major European powers) ?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 12:52 PM   #16
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Would I know what grits were?
grits is good eatin'
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 12:55 PM   #17
mhass
High School Varsity

Slaveryl wasn't going to stand for the same reasons Communism isn't. It's morally corrupt as an institution and freedom, given any chance at all, triumphs.

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:00 PM   #18
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Nope - I think it was limited to the US - though I'm wondering if you want to include the Caribbean colonies in this.

On the larger note, does anyone believe that an independent southern state would have lasted for more than 5-10 years - especially one based on preserving an institution that the rest of the world was trying to abolish (especially the major European powers) ?

For example, until the Confederacy happened, I don't believe that Virginia and Texas had a lot of things in common. Virginians probably felt a closer kinship to people from Maryland than someone from the Deep South. So the lack of true cultural ties (besides slavery) and the fact that the whole issue they were fighting over was states' rights, indicates to me that the whole thing would have split into a bunch of factions within a year or two of a peace settlement.

Last edited by Desnudo : 03-09-2005 at 01:01 PM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:03 PM   #19
Hurst2112
College Starter

Skynard's "Free Bird" would be played before each sporting event.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:04 PM   #20
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
grits is good eatin'

Is that taken right out of Webster's?
Old 03-09-2005, 01:53 PM   #21
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Did Hank Williams Jr. answer this in a song already?
Old 03-09-2005, 01:54 PM   #22
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels
Back in the 70's there was a wargame I glanced at once that was about the Civil War taking place in the 1930s. Had some backstory to it but I never got a chance to look at that. Always thought that would make for a good game, though, a look at the Civil War using 1930s technology before WW2.

Not sure that would matter much. A ton of the technology from WWI arose as a direct result of the American Civil War. If the ACW doesn't get fought until the 1930s, technology would certainly have progressed during the interceding 70 years, but I'm not sure the killing technologies would have been as efficient, necessity being the mother of invention, and there not being a necessity in the interim...
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 02:13 PM   #23
Bo Jackson's Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhass
Slaveryl wasn't going to stand for the same reasons Communism isn't. It's morally corrupt as an institution and freedom, given any chance at all, triumphs.

Any chance you've been writing any speeches for George W.?
Old 03-09-2005, 02:14 PM   #24
Bea-Arthurs Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Skynard's "Free Bird" would be played before each sporting event

HaHa..Good one Hurst.

For those interested here is a link to a pretty good documentary about what would have happened ...

http://www.reel.com/movie.asp?MID=13...reviews&CID=13
Bea-Arthurs Hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 02:31 PM   #25
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea-Arthurs Hip
HaHa..Good one Hurst.

For those interested here is a link to a pretty good documentary about what would have happened ...

http://www.reel.com/movie.asp?MID=13...reviews&CID=13

Not that good if you think about it...imagine having to sit through 7 plus minutes of that song? Or Molly Hatchet, whom I like a bit.

yikes
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 02:53 PM   #26
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:

I'm not a communist, but how exactly is communism morally corrupt? Communism doesn't succeed because people are greedy and lazy.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:00 PM   #27
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche
Did Hank Williams Jr. answer this in a song already?

Yes, he did, and the answer is "we'd of had it made." He would have also run for President of the Southern States
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:04 PM   #28
KevinNU7
College Starter

What if #2. What if the Confederates win the Civil War?

Why don't you just start watching Sliders on the Sci-Fi channel
Old 03-09-2005, 03:04 PM   #29
Bo Jackson's Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333
Yes, he did, and the answer is "we'd of had it made." He would have also run for President of the Southern States

IIRC, the national treasury would be in Tupelo, Mississippi, and Hank Williams Sr.'s picture would be on the 100 dollar bill.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:22 PM   #30
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNU7
Why don't you just start watching Sliders on the Sci-Fi channel

Hey! I suggested that in the first thread

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:27 PM   #31
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

More important question, does the South know they lost yet?
Old 03-09-2005, 03:28 PM   #32
mhass
High School Varsity

Quote:
I'm not a communist, but how exactly is communism morally corrupt? Communism doesn't succeed because people are greedy and lazy.

It's exactly the opposite. Communisim failed because people, by nature, have aspirations, dreams, goals, desires to improve their station in life. Communism requires all to work not for themselves, but for one single "other" - namely government.

Old 03-09-2005, 03:31 PM   #33
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman
More important question, does the South know they lost yet?

There is just a lull in the fighting.
And it's "The War of Northern Aggression".
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:36 PM   #34
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

I was refering to the confederate flag still being used.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:48 PM   #35
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
It's exactly the opposite. Communisim failed because people, by nature, have aspirations, dreams, goals, desires to improve their station in life. Communism requires all to work not for themselves, but for one single "other" - namely government.

That doesn't really answer my question, but I'll respond anyways.

Quote:
Communisim failed because people, by nature, have aspirations, dreams, goals, desires to improve their station in life.

You're correct. Communism has failed because of greed - the desire for more at the expense of someone else.

Quote:
Communism requires all to work not for themselves, but for one single "other" - namely government.

It sounds like you don't really know what fundamental communism is. There is no true representation of communism in the world today. Think of tribes, something you may be more familiar with. Each person in your community is your brother and sister and you strive for the equal benefit of everyone as a whole.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:22 PM   #36
mhass
High School Varsity

If that's your definition of communism then fine. There definitely isn't any of that in the world, nor has there ever been that I can recall.

The answer to your question is that communism (as it exists and existed) fails/failed because it is amoral and immoral to deprive people living under any governing system of the freedom to acheive and prosper (Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness) at any level they choose. Communism mandates that all be "equal" regardless of ability or achievement - and "equal" at a the level of the lowest achiever at that.

The success you or I achieve here isn't "at the expense of someone else" unless you're saying that having my job is "greedy" because someone else could be doing it. And greed, defined as the desire for more, is a fundamental tenant of any economic system involving free choice including your version of communism ("equal benefit of the whole").

Old 03-09-2005, 05:17 PM   #37
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
And greed, defined as the desire for more, is a fundamental tenant of any economic system involving free choice including your version of communism ("equal benefit of the whole").

I don't see why you decided to bold the word benefit - the words around it are what's key in that quotation. It's not my version of communism. It's what communism is.

Quote:
The answer to your question is that communism (as it exists and existed) fails/failed because it is amoral and immoral to deprive people living under any governing system of the freedom to acheive and prosper (Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness) at any level they choose. Communism mandates that all be "equal" regardless of ability or achievement - and "equal" at a the level of the lowest achiever at that.

That's fine. That's your opinion.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:32 PM   #38
Klinglerware
College Starter

The Coates family would have had enough Confederate money to live on... and Old Yeller wouldn't have had to die.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 08:24 PM   #39
Dutch
"Dutch"

Well, if anybody wants a pretty solid taste of Communism, join the military. But don't give up a good paying civilian job to do it.
Dutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:27 PM   #40
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
That doesn't really answer my question, but I'll respond anyways.

You're correct. Communism has failed because of greed - the desire for more at the expense of someone else.

It sounds like you don't really know what fundamental communism is. There is no true representation of communism in the world today. Think of tribes, something you may be more familiar with. Each person in your community is your brother and sister and you strive for the equal benefit of everyone as a whole.

I actually believe the last point is a liberal talking point in itself. By that I mean I first heard that argument about 'no true example' from my high school civics teacher and many times since. But in my opinion because of human nature true communism can never exist...its a pipe dream, fairly tale. Communism believes that man is good, oppressed by bad folks (capitalists.) Christianity teaches the exact opposite, man is fallen in nature and needs redemption to be good. That is why the two conflict and can never co-exist peacefully. A Christian would further argue that the roots of communism go back to paganism in the Old Testement and therefore has always been at war with Judeo-Christianity.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 10:08 PM   #41
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

WWI Would be fought in places like Sequoyah and Roanoke County and such, So according to Harry TurtleDove.