Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-09-2005, 01:39 PM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Cardio Equipment Recommendations

Mrs. A. and I are thinking of dropping the gym membership and getting a piece of cardio equipment for the home. As with all major life decisions, I want to run this by FOFC.

What, in your experience, are good and bad brands of workout equipment? Any major difference in the type (treadmill v. those glide machines v. etc.)?

It seems to make sense to get something like this used out of the paper since so many people buy them and do not use them. Is that right?

And how much should a good one cost? I'm thinking about $500, but I could be wrong. Any idea?

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:41 PM   #2
bbor
Pro Starter

Only cardio equipment i could recommend is paddles....to start your heart again after you faint

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:45 PM   #3
Suicane75
Coordinator

Kenyans aint got no cardio equipment, they got lions chasin em, and son of a bitch can those guys run. Buy yourself a lion, you'll be fit in no time.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:25 PM   #4
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

I think that the bigger you are, the better equipment you should buy. I am a large fellow and I don't think a cheap machine could handle the pounding i dish out while exercising.

I like the stair climber. easier on your joints than running on a treadmill. better workout than using an elipses machine. Those elipses machines just do not give me a workout
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 04:58 PM   #5
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk
I like the stair climber. easier on your joints than running on a treadmill. better workout than using an elipses machine. Those elipses machines just do not give me a workout

I have to disagree here, I can go about three times longer on an elliptical than I can on a stairmaster, and don't have that light-headed, 'about to pass out' feeling afterwards. It's all a matter of preference though, I'd recommend getting a feel for each machine and buying the one you are comfortable with.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:20 PM   #6
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
As with all major life decisions, I want to run this by FOFC.

I love this place.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:08 PM   #7
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

jogging shoes.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:26 PM   #8
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci
jogging shoes.

But why spend $50 when you can spend $1000?
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 07:17 PM   #9
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I can go about three times longer on an elliptical than I can on a stairmaster

I agree with you, and in fact i own an elipses. But i don't want to go three times longer on the elipses, i want to get a tougher workout quicker on the stair climber. Overall though, just getting good exercise of any kind is very beneficial
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:56 PM   #10
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

The wife & I bought a treadmill recently. The research I did seemed to indicate that if you buy one for less than $1500, there's a good chance it'll be too cheap to last.

For us, it's been great - we're both exercising on a more regular basis than we ever did with the gym, especially now that it's winter. It's set up in front of a TV, and I like the fact I can jump on for as long as I want and watch something I want to watch (again, as compared to the gym).

Elliptical trainers will be less harsh on your knees, and are cheaper, though, so that's something to consider.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote