Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-04-2005, 07:21 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

"We're going to have to bring some grenades or something!"

My boys are playing in the state finals in basketball this afternoon, and I can't go. I tutored young Mr. Duncan in math for a year. Great quote from Hartry.

Quote:
Quote:
Tatum, Duncan net 59 in Tucker's semifinal win

From the opening minute, the Sandy Creek-Tucker Class AAAA semifinal was the Cameron Tatum and Damaian Duncan show.

That meant curtains for Sandy Creek.

Tatum poured in 31 points and Duncan scored 28 as Tucker (27-3) survived a 75-71 overtime victory against the Patriots, earning a shot at the DeKalb County school's first state championship since 1996.

Tatum's white-hot first quarter, when he scored 12 points, served as the opening act for what was to come.

Trailing by three in the final 30 seconds, Duncan drove the floor and found an open Tatum for the tying 3.

"We're both good shooters," Duncan said. "I just told him to be ready because I was going to bring it up the floor. As soon as I saw it in his hands, I knew it was going to be good."

That nullified what had been a scintillating comeback by the Patriots (26-5), who trailed 29-11 in the first half before rallying to take the lead twice in the fourth period. The last came on two free throws each by Aaron Caruthers and Charles Belton for a 62-59 edge in the final 30 seconds..

After Tatum's tying 3, the Patriots had five seconds to get a shot off but Caruthers turned it over in a play that typified Sandy Creek's night.

"The turnovers really hurt," said Sandy Creek coach Darrell Evans. "We had 5.2 seconds and double bonus, and we couldn't get a shot off."

Tatum scored 18 in the first half, opening the scoring on a silky 3-pointer and finishing three alley-oops from Duncan, then scored the Tigers' final seven points in regulation to force overtime, where he closed the deal with six of his team's 13 points.

Now, Tucker (27-3) gets a matchup with one of the last two state champions — either defending champion Mays or 2003 champ Griffin.

"As great as this is, we ain't finished yet," Tucker coach James Hartry said. "We're going to have to pack our bags, lace up our shoes and bring some grenades or something. It's going to be a battle."

Caruthers scored 19 points for Sandy Creek, making its first semifinal appearance and gunning for Fayette County's first basketball championship.

SANDY CREEK (26-5): Kevin Lott 10, Aaron Caruthers 19, Charles Belton 14, Michael Gates 6, Marcus Erves 8, Daniel Hendricks 14.

TUCKER (27-3): Damaian Duncan 28, Cameron Tatum 31, Jeremy Simmons 8, Terrance Richmond 1, Brandon Dixon 2, Michael McGee 5.

Sandy Creek 9 15 20 18 9 — 71

Tucker 17 17 13 15 13 — 75

CURTIS COMPTON /AJC

CURTIS COMPTON /AJC
Tucker's Cameron Tatum dunks off a pass over Sandy Creek's Michael Gates (left) and Charles Belton. More high school news
Buy photo reprints

CURTIS COMPTON /AJC
Tucker's Cameron Tatum, the bench, and the crowd react as his 3-point shot is good to tie the game and force overtime with seconds left. More high school news
Buy photo reprints

CURTIS COMPTON /AJC
Tucker's Damian Duncan soars to the basket past Sandy Creek's Daniel Hendricks (left) and Aaron Caruthers. More high school news
Buy photo reprints

CURTIS COMPTON /AJC
Tucker fan Beshan Lewis wears the shirt Cameron Tatum as he cheers his team to a berth in the AAAA final. More high school news
Buy photo reprints

CURTIS COMPTON /AJC
Tucker celebrates a hard-fought win over Sandy Creek. At right is Damian Duncan. More high school news
Buy photo reprints

Tucker's Damiam Duncan goes airborne and lands on his teammates as he celebrates a 75-71 overtime victory over Sandy Creek at the Gwinnett Arena in Duluth in the AAAA semifinals. More high school news
Buy photo reprints

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 07:30 AM   #2
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
I'm planning to ride over to the game with Coach Gilbert, so I'll represent the computer geek contingent for you.

Thank you sir! Davis Stewart is supposed to call me with updates, but he really gets into the games. You can feel free to give me a buzz at the end of any quarter you so choose. I'll be on a bus with middle school kids---riding on 85 right past the arena at around tipoff time, too.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:31 AM   #3
digamma
Torchbearer

I'm planning to ride over to the game with Coach Gilbert, so I'll represent the computer geek contingent for you.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:36 AM   #4
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Any relation?
Nope.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:38 AM   #5
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Tucker fan Beshan Lewis wears the shirt Cameron Tatum as he cheers his team to a berth in the AAAA final.

Any relation?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:40 AM   #6
Ben E Lou

Tucker duo a well-kept secret, but not for long

You see Cameron Tatum and Damaian Duncan do what they did Wednesday night at the Gwinnett Arena and you think: I've missed this all year?

You feel kind of silly, talents like Tatum and Duncan receiving only a modicum of adulation rather than the heaps they merit.

My bad.

Thankfully, the tantalizing Tucker tandem will play on, if only barely. If you had any sense of compassion, you had to feel for Sandy Creek, which was down by 18 early, rallied to lead by three in the closing seconds of the fourth quarter, only to fall to the skill and gumption of Tatum and Duncan.

They represent the best duo in the state not named Louis Williams and Mike Mercer. Yes, they're that good, and it's unfortunate you're likely just learning of them.

"I guess because we won just six games last year, people didn't expect anything from us," Tatum said. "We were picked to finish seventh in our region and we won it. We were expected to be knocked out of state, and now we're in the championship game. So maybe they'll notice now."

For sure. The Tigers' 75-71 overtime victory served a dual purpose: It got Tucker to the AAAA championship game Friday and it offered Tatum and Duncan the kind of exposure they needed to express their deft skills.

How's this for seizing the moment? Tatum, a cinnamon stick-thin forward, ripped Sandy Creek for 31 points, including a 3-pointer from NBA range with 11.7 seconds left to force overtime. His wingman, the 6-foot-1 Duncan, contributed 28 points, including consecutive third-quarter bombs when Tucker's offense was in dire need of an injection.

It's not just that they are wildly talented; it's that they seem to come to the other's aid just when needed most. Tatum, a Tracy McGrady play-alike, carried the game in the first half, scoring 18 points in awe-inspiring fashion, including three alley-oop dunks.

No wonder Georgia, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Tennessee and a litany of other colleges are recruiting him.

Duncan controlled the action after halftime, ringing up 10 straight points -- two 3s and two daring maneuvers to the basket -- to offset the Patriots, who had finally found their game.

"We're the second-best combination in Georgia, if not the best," said Duncan, who has been courted by Alabama, Marshall and others. "We just play well off each other."

Make no mistake: Tucker is a full team. Brandon Dixon, Jeremy Simmons and Michael McGee, in particular, made crucial plays in the deciding moments Wednesday night. They are athletic and fearless, and when they do not force the action, they complement Tatum and Duncan nicely.

Still, the Tigers nearly suffered a devastating collapse. Sandy Creek showed admirable heart in not quitting after falling behind big early. Patrick Delisser, Kevin Lott and Charles Belton charged a rally that moved the Patriots all the way to a 62-59 advantage with 19 seconds to play.

But Tatum, who had missed badly on his previous two 3-pointers, was locked and loaded and launched from 25 feet. Bottoms.

"Damaian and I lead this team," Tatum said. "The ball came to me in that situation and, as a leader, I had to take it."

And now he and Duncan take their heretofore unheralded tandem to the ultimate showcase. It's a show worth seeing, even if it's a bit late.