Soccer 49 65.33%
NASCAR 15 20.00%
I beg my captors to kill me, or at least jab my eyes out! 11 14.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2005, 03:34 PM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Rock - Hard place

You are abducted and forced to watch one of the following 24 hours a day. WHICH DO YOU CHOOSE?!?

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 03:36 PM   #2
Radii
Head Coach

I like soccer :P
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 03:37 PM   #3
3ric
College Starter

Watching Real Madrid - Juventus right now. Great game.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:38 PM   #4
Kodos
Resident Alien

This thread was aimed more at folks who like neither.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:41 PM   #5
SackAttack
Head Coach

What, Trout TV doesn't exist in your deluded fantasy world?!
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 03:44 PM   #6
Franklinnoble
Banned

Funny. I watched the Daytona 500 on Sunday... first NASCAR even I've ever seen.

I have determined that there's no point whatsoever in watching anything but the last 30 minutes of any such broadcast ever again. Most of it was just plain boring.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 03:51 PM   #7
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble

I have determined that there's no point whatsoever in watching anything but the last 30 minutes of any such broadcast ever again. Most of it was just plain boring.

I agree that it was boring to a large degree. However, you might want to check out the races at Martinsville, Bristol, and Richmond. They are typically a lot 'racier' with a lot more excitement. No gaurantees that you'll like it, but you might find it a tad more exciting.

Also, unless you have a driver or three that you are rooting for, it can be very difficult to get into. Without a driver to pull for, it's about like watching the Brewers play the Royals. Who cares?
Old 02-22-2005, 03:52 PM   #8
Swaggs
Coordinator

I would beg them to jab my eyes out with trout.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 03:56 PM   #9
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

I love them both.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 04:00 PM   #10
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble

I watched my first race this weekend, too. Seems like a restrictor plate race is broken into two stages:

First 180 laps: Don't wreck.

Last 20 laps: Try to get ahead of the other guys.

It did seem that the first 180 laps were much more about luck than anything else.

What I did find interesting compared to other sports was the need for teamwork even though everyone was competing against each other. It seems that you need help to actually win the race, so everyone needs to walk the fine line between not being seen as a dick, but also being selfish enough to be the guy getting helped at the end instead of vice versa.

Oh--and I've also decided to cheer on Tony Stewart. In every other sport, I cheer for the "good guys" and against the "bad boys." It's nice to have one complete and utter asshole to cheer for. Keeps it fresh for me and all that.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 04:02 PM   #11
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
Oh--and I've also decided to cheer on Tony Stewart. In every other sport, I cheer for the "good guys" and against the "bad boys." It's nice to have one complete and utter asshole to cheer for. Keeps it fresh for me and all that.

I'd love to root for an asshole soccer player, except I don't think I could name more than 2 outside of that kid who is revolutionizing the way I don't watch soccer.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 04:03 PM   #12
JeeberD
General Manager

Beg for death.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 04:11 PM   #13
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Soccer, because it's more like hockey than anything.
Except with wusses.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 04:13 PM   #14
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
What I did find interesting compared to other sports was the need for teamwork even though everyone was competing against each other. It seems that you need help to actually win the race, so everyone needs to walk the fine line between not being seen as a dick, but also being selfish enough to be the guy getting helped at the end instead of vice versa.

This is true primarily at Daytona and Talledega. At most other tracks teamwork, while it can still play a factor, is much less important.

The quirky thing about NASCAR is the Daytona 500 is seen as the premier race. This is mainly because of the history, but also because of the money involved. However, with the introduction of restrictor plates (to help reduce the speed) races at Daytona and Talledega are so uncharacteristic of most of the other races that you really can't get a feel for the total picture by just watching that one race. Unfortunately, that is the one that gets the hype and that curious fans choose to watch. As a result, the reaction is much like that exhibited here. I watched. It was boring except for the last 30 minutes. I don't think I'll watch again.

Quote:

Yes, he can be an absolute asshole. However, he is probably one of the best drivers in North America. He is certainly one that will give you a lot to cheer for, as he is usually competitive.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:17 PM   #15
Joe
Pro Starter

blah... who would voluntarily watch 'neckcar?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 04:24 PM   #16
Buzzbee
College Starter

Considering Mr. Bush campaigned so hard to attract "NASCAR dads" you would think he would know a tad more about the shifting demographic.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:27 PM   #17
mhass
High School Varsity

For whatever reason, I cannot get with racing. I'll take pansy-ball.

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 04:31 PM   #18
Anthony
Banned

soccer for me. NASCAR is very boring, restrictor plates or not.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 04:32 PM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just piling on that, of all the races for someone to watch as their first NASCAR event, Daytona is just about the worst possible choice. Since restrictor plates, about all Daytona has going for it is history ... and a lot of tedious moments.

Bristol on the other hand ... well, the only sporting event more entertaining than Bristol on a Sunday afternoon is Bristol under the lights on Saturday night.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:42 PM   #20
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Just piling on that, of all the races for someone to watch as their first NASCAR event, Daytona is just about the worst possible choice. Since restrictor plates, about all Daytona has going for it is history ... and a lot of tedious moments.

Bristol on the other hand ... well, the only sporting event more entertaining than Bristol on a Sunday afternoon is Bristol under the lights on Saturday night.

Or the Saturday night fights...on pit road after the race at Bristol.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:44 PM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
Or the Saturday night fights...on pit road after the race at Bristol.

It's Bristol, that kinda goes without saying

And, while I'm posting anyway:
Starting in 2007, the auto-racing circuit will switch its allegiance from XM to Sirius, ending a partnership that began when XM launched and robbing XM of one of its premier sports partnerships. The deal, which will cost Sirius $107.5 million over five years, was announced today in a joint conference call with Sirius CEO Mel Karmazin and NASCAR President/CEO Brian France.
from www.radioandrecords.com
Old 02-22-2005, 04:45 PM   #22
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Soccer is something I actually want to understand.

NASCAR might win IF there are lots of wrecks.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 04:50 PM   #23
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Nothing beats rock.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 04:52 PM   #24
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Except cockroach.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-22-2005 at 04:52 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 05:06 PM   #25
Kodos
Resident Alien

When I was growing up, we used to go to Spencer Speedway to watch the Modifieds race. That was pretty fun, and the cars just look cool. I remember rooting of Maynard Troyer and George Kent and Doug Hewitt. Those were fun times. Much more entertaining than watching the Daytona 500 on TV.

Maynard Troyer's "White Lightning" Car

Doug Hewitt's car

George Kent's car

These pictures don't really do the cars justice. They are really cool looking in person.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:57 AM   #26
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Daytona 500 on FOX posts highest rating ever

FOX Sports' coverage of yesterday's thrilling Daytona 500 — a race that featured four lead changes in the final nine laps — produced a 10.9/23 preliminary national rating/share (18.7 million viewers), according to Nielsen Media Research.

FOX's 10.9 ties the highest rating ever recorded for a NASCAR race, matching the rating set for the 2002 Daytona 500 on NBC, and is up +3% vs. last year's race on NBC (10.6/24). Yesterday's 18.7 million viewers makes it the second most-watched NASCAR race ever (18.8 for the 2002 Daytona 500), the most-watched ever on FOX, and +5% better than a year ago (17.8 million). Nielsen estimates that 35.3 million Americans watched all or part of yesterday's race, another best for FOX.
The 2005 Daytona 500 caps the biggest twelve month viewership period in FOX Sports' 11-year history. In the calendar year beginning with last year's NASCAR Nextel Cup race in Rockingham and ending with the 2005 Daytona 500, FOX totaled just under 1.3 billion viewers, the network's largest total ever for any twelve month period. In addition to regular season coverage of NASCAR, MLB and the NFL, the last 12 months saw FOX Sports broadcast the MLB All-Star Game, postseason and World Series, the NFL postseason, including the NFC Championship Game and Super Bowl XXXIX, plus yesterday's Daytona 500.

Eight of the top-10 metered markets posted double-digit percentage increases compared to last year's race, and all of the nation's top five markets delivered their best rating ever for a Daytona 500 on FOX. NEW YORK posted a 5.5/12, LOS ANGELES earned a 5.3/14, and CHICAGO came in at 9.0/19. PHILADELPHIA drew the highest figure of the top 5 with a 10.4/18 and BOSTON tallied an impressive 8.6/19.

Numerous major markets posted big year-to-year increases for the 500, with many of those markets located outside of NASCAR's traditional southeast US footprint. CLEVELAND was FOX's most impressive growth market for Daytona, up +49% (13.7 vs. 9.2). Following close behind were DETROIT (+47%, 11.6 vs. 7.9), NEW ORLEANS (+40%, 7.4 vs. 5.3), SAN FRANCISCO (+32%, 5.8 vs. 4.4), and ATLANTA (+28%, 20.4 vs. 16.0).

GREENSBORO topped all metered markets with a 24.7/40, followed by ORLANDO (23.0/42), GREENVILLE (22.5/36), CHARLOTTE (21.0/35), and ATLANTA (20.4/35). The 20.4/35 in Atlanta is that market's best for the 500 since at least 1999.

Initial tune-in for the Daytona 500 was the highest in history. The first full half-hour of yesterday's race posted a 9.9/23 (2:30-3:00), beating last year's 9.7/23, which was helped by an appearance by President Bush as Grand Marshal. Ratings growth during the race was steady through the first half — then explosive from 5:00 through the dramatic conclusion. FOX notched an 11.6/24 at 5:00, a 13.0/25 at 5:30, and a 13.5/26 from 6:00-6:20 as Jeff Gordon captured the race in the first-ever "green-white-checkered" finish in Daytona 500 history. The 13.5/26 from 6:00-6:30 is the highest rating for any portion of a NASCAR race ever on FOX.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote