Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-21-2005, 12:33 AM   #1
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Thumbs up 2005 Daytona 500

Though I thought this years race was a kittle boring it did provide with one of the greatest finishes in a long time. The race was a little slow and I certainly didnt like the pack spread out . It was still a great 4 hours spent. I thought that Dale had the win during the lwaining moments but was proven wrong. Still a great race overall though.

CHEMICAL SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:41 AM   #2
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

The only thing I hate about Daytona is that you can work so hard for the 195 laps, then go for top 5 to 20th something in the last five just because you get out of line or something.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 09:11 AM   #3
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Exactly, I think that the aero package needs to be dirtied up a bit. I hated the ''Follow the leader'' cookie cutter type race that has happened at daytona the lasrt few years.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:22 AM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Wimmer's crash was spectacular, if nerve-wracking. Very glad to hear that he's fine, amazing that the worst of that was having the wind knocked out of him.

Hard luck for Mikey yesterday, that car was a serious contender, but it looks like the shop tried to get a little too much out of the engine.

After watching this weekend, I'm more convinced than ever that "freezing the field" has got to go. The final lap caution is inevitable at tracks like Daytona, and determining winners by blinking yellow light just doesn't cut it IMO.

Anybody notice the less-than-enthusiastic response of Gordon when Johnson came to visit in Victory Lane? I don't think WonderBoy was all that happy with his sidekick.

And did they ever show the 24's pass of Junior? The camera was on the wreck in the back of the pack when it happened, the new leader seemed to catch the whole booth off-guard, and the replays that followed were of the 8's pass of Stewart. I still haven't seen how Jeffie got by Jr.

For his own sake, I'm glad Tony didn't respond to Chad Knauss. For my sake though, I wish they'd take the handcuffs off Stewart & let him deal with the whiney asses like Knauss, Johnson, etc. Them, the Buschs, etc., have probably done as much damage to my enthusiasm for NASCAR as the collective rule changes, etc.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:54 AM   #5
Dutch
"Dutch"

I watch NASCAR because I'm a sucker for monopolies...but, the only thing I like about the NASCAR racing style at the super speedways is the hope for the big wreck. Otherwise, I hate the Nascar strategy of Yellow Flag every 20 minutes or so to keep it "close" and absolutely no racing really happening until the last 5 laps.

I fell asleep about 40 laps in and woke up near the end. I saw the big wreck and the finish. What did I miss? Nothing.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 02:27 PM   #6
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
Exactly, I think that the aero package needs to be dirtied up a bit. I hated the ''Follow the leader'' cookie cutter type race that has happened at daytona the lasrt few years.

For a race that is "dubbed" as NASCAR's SuperBowl, I would think it should be the most demanding, and the best cars should win with smart racing and great teamwork. I just don't get this from the Daytona 500.

Last edited by SunDancer : 02-21-2005 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:23 PM   #7
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

My favorite part was the left turns.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:27 PM   #8
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Gordon won so "everyone" (meaning the majority) is pissed.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 03:30 PM   #9
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Why is Gordon dislike so much? He's better then guys like Tony Stewart, Kurt Busch, ect.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:32 PM   #10
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDancer
Why is Gordon dislike so much? He's better then guys like Tony Stewart, Kurt Busch, ect.

Well I don't really follow Nascar but I think it's cause he's a prettyboy and not a "true" racer in the Dale Sr vein.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:35 PM   #11
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
Well I don't really follow Nascar but I think it's cause he's a prettyboy and not a "true" racer in the redneck vein.

Fixed that for you.

Last edited by RPI-Fan : 02-21-2005 at 03:35 PM.
RPI-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 03:35 PM   #12
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
Well I don't really follow Nascar but I think it's cause he's a prettyboy and not a "true" racer in the Dale Sr vein.

I watch NASCAR closely, but never understand the hate for Gordon.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:44 PM   #13
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Fixed that for you.

Well, I wasn't going to SAY it
Old 02-21-2005, 05:33 PM   #14
wbatl1
High School Varsity

We Gordon was a little bit of a pretty boy when he came to the Winston series. That and driving a rainbow colored car. But compared to a lot of the young wusses up there today, he's middle of the road.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:52 PM   #15
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I just saw that this was yesterday....oh well, maybe I'll see it next year.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:57 PM   #16
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

so, no one wants to talk about Hootie in that silly BK commercial?
Old 02-21-2005, 06:22 PM   #17
cmp
Pro Rookie

I'm happy Gordon won, actually I would have been happy with anyone but Junior winning. All these fans of his have made me dislike him quite a bit. Most all Junior fans, unless they were previously fans of his father, know not a thing about racing at all.

Last edited by cmp : 02-21-2005 at 06:22 PM.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 07:05 PM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Here's a decent write-up on the whole Gordon-hating/Junior-loving thing, allegedly by Benny Parsons (I say "allegedly" because this just doesn't sound like BP, I smell a ghostwriter)
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5189547/

This quote, IMO, sums it up pretty well
"A simple example would be if Gordon were sponsored by a spirits manufacturer, it would be a champagne or wine company, where with Junior, it would be a beer company that would be putting its marketing dollars behind him.