Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-04-2005, 03:21 PM   #1
maximus
Banned

Is Hypnosis real?

What are your thoughts on using Hypnosis for medical reasons? Ex: Spasticity, ECT.

I am asking this in all seriousness. There is a big reason why I am asking this but because this is a very sensitive case I am not allowed (on lawyers advice) to talk about it.....just yet.

maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 03:24 PM   #2
jbmagic
Pro Starter

yes it really real

i saw Hypnosis done at a fair..

they ask 10 people to go up to the stage and they made them do a lot of funny things

i was one of them that went up, but it ddint work on me. and ask several of us to leave because we didnt get Hypnosis. i guess i didnt concentrate correctly.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 03:29 PM   #3
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

All hyponosis really involves is a state of extreme relaxation. All that stuff on TV involving barking like dogs or thinking you are naked in front of a crowd is nonsense.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:35 PM   #4
maximus
Banned

I want to make clear a few things, First, I know some believe Hypnosis to be witchcraft. Personally, I am a firm believer in God, Christ and the Holy Spirit. I do not condone the work of witchcraft. So whatever findings that any of you come up with about Hypnosis, I would really appreciate it. I am currebtly doing research about it.

NOTE: Just to give you guys some light on the situation on why I am asking (this is all public knowledge and easily found if living in Kenosha, WI)

My brother Dale was *crushed* by a 22 ton frontloader on Aug 13th 2004. He sustained many injuires to his body and head. He lost his left leg and nearly lost his left arm as well. The brain damage sustained was montumental. Both his right and left side of the brain had hemeroging (inside of the brain). He also had hemeroging on outside of the brain (right side). He had other major injuires but thats not really to important right now (for this post that is).

If I have time, I will post news articles, ECT about it. Its a pretty big story in Kenosha.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:42 PM   #5
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

No one with any brain believes hypnosis to be witchcraft - its simply a mental relaxation technique - nothing wrong with it.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 03:52 PM   #6
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOhioStateUniversity
All hyponosis really involves is a state of extreme relaxation. All that stuff on TV involving barking like dogs or thinking you are naked in front of a crowd is nonsense.

What he said.

This relaxed state can make you more suggestible which can help to a moderate degree with smoking cessation, pain management, etc. However, the data isn't very robust that it is a reliable treatment method. However, I've trained in how to perform hypnosis and used it with moderate success to help a few patients.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 03:54 PM   #7
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

If someone is truly spastic from Upper Motor Neuron damage (which is the cause of true spasticity) than I do not think hypnosis would be very helpful.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-04-2005 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:57 PM   #8
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
No one with any brain believes hypnosis to be witchcraft - its simply a mental relaxation technique - nothing wrong with it.

Double dola -

What he said.

It is not witchcraft. It is a technique to relax and make one somewhat more suggestible. You can't make anyone do anything they don't want to do. It is a technique. There is no morality to it either way in my opinion. Decent people use it. I'm sure not so decent people use it too.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:58 PM   #9
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Dola -

If someone is truly spastic from Upper Motor Neuron damage (which is the cause of true spasticity) than I do not think hypnosis would be very helpful.

Is there anything you can recommed? My brother can move his left arm to a degree. He can move his left index finger and left thumb but just barely. The rest of the fingers he cannot move. His wrist is on the hunched position and very tight.

The therapist have given him Botox to relieve the spasticity but it only helped a little....

Last edited by maximus : 02-04-2005 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:03 PM   #10
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Botox is one of the best treatments. There are other medications (Baclofen for example)which can help some, but I suspect physical therapy is going to be the most important treatment for your brother. There are some medications in research which might help him more, but they are likely a few years away.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother suffering through this ordeal.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:05 PM   #11
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'm just glad you're on the scene, doc. This thread had a chance to spiral *way* out of control.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 04:06 PM   #12
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Botox is one of the best treatments. There are other medications (Baclofen for example)which can help some, but I suspect physical therapy is going to be the most important treatment for your brother. There are some medications in research which might help him more, but they are likely a few years away.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother suffering through this ordeal.

Thanks for the help.

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear about your brother suffering through this ordeal

Thank you.
Yea, this really sucks. We lived together and we were really close. We were told he wasn't going to make it but he continued to fight on. He was in comatose for 2 months. He still isn't fully "awake" yet.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:47 PM   #13
condors
College Starter

I wish your brother the best of luck
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 11:50 PM   #14
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Good luck Maximus -I hope you have good doctors.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote