Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-04-2005, 02:08 PM   #1
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Bednarik wants Eagles to lose Super Bowl, an interesting story

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3375796

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Chuck Bednarik holds a grudge only slightly larger than his legacy as the last of the 60-minute men.

Known for his hard-nosed play and big hits, Bednarik is just as well-known for his biting, blunt diatribes about today's NFL, Philadelphia Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie and any other topic that reminds him the game isn't the same as when he played.

Super Bowl XXXIX
Complete coverage of this year's big matchup.

Patriots vs. Eagles (on FOX):

Seymour 'good to go'
Media Day confidential
T.O. promises he's playing
HOT SPORTS OPINIONS:

Why the Patriots will win
Why the Eagles will win
Super Bowl X-factors
HISTORY:

Top 10 best moments
Top 10 worst moments
Best of Super Sunday
FUN STUFF:

Super Bowl time capsules
Fun facts and figures
FUNHOUSE: Wanna bet?
VIDEO:

Tough task awaits Pats
Eagles flapping their wings
Media Day gone awry!

He also is protective of his Hall of Fame legacy. While he boasts about playing both center and linebacker for part of his 14-year career, Bednarik is equally as proud to have played on the last Eagles team to win a championship (1960).

That's why Bednarik will be rooting against the Eagles in the Super Bowl against New England. He has no desire to ever see the franchise win another title.

"I can't wait until the Super Bowl is over," said Bednarik, who played for the Eagles from 1949 to 1962. "I hope the 1960 team remains the last one to win. I hope it stays that way."

Bednarik admits he's jealous and resentful about the salaries and spotlight today's players receive, calling them "overpaid and underplayed." Bednarik says he never made more than $27,000 and supplemented his income with an afternoon job selling concrete, earning him the nickname "Concrete Charlie."

Imagine the multimillion dollar endorsement deals and magazine covers for a 60-minute player today. Forget working for a concrete company. He could probably own one. Or five.

"How would you feel sitting there knowing what transpired when I played?" said Bednarik, who lives in Coopersburg, Pa., and turns 80 in May.

Maybe Bednarik would keep his sentiments to himself if not for a dispute with the only team he ever played for.

Bednarik's acrimony stems from a 1996 visit with Lurie when he asked the Eagles owner to buy 100 copies of his book at $15 a pop, a total of $1,500, or "tip money," as the Hall of Famer described it.

Bednarik wanted Lurie to give the books to the team. He says Lurie refused because the Eagles aren't allowed to give the team gifts.

Bednarik has since distanced himself from the Eagles, only reluctantly showing up for a reunion because the organization surprised him by agreeing to his demand for a limousine. Bednarik still watches football and likes Eagles coach Andy Reid because his stoic demeanor reminds him of Buck Shaw, the coach of the 1960 team.

"Andy's just a nice person," Bednarik said. "When he first came here, he wanted to meet me."

Appropriately, a man who worked in concrete forever cemented his stature as one of the legendary Eagles with two of the most celebrated hits in team history in 1960.

He knocked out New York's Frank Gifford with a blow so ferocious - and legal - that the Giants running back suffered a concussion and didn't play again until 1962. Then there was Bednarik's game-saving tackle of Green Bay's Jim Taylor on the final play of the '60 title game.

Bednarik refused to let Taylor up as the final seconds ticked off, allowing the Eagles to hang on for a 17-13 championship win on Dec. 26, 1960, in Franklin Field.

"Everybody reminds me of it and I'm happy they remind me of it," Bednarik said. "I'm proud and delighted to have played in that game."

Bednarik recalled playing on all but two kickoffs against the Packers. He said he could have kept playing if he needed to, unlike today's players who "suck air after five plays."

In 1996, Deion Sanders played regularly on both offense and defense for the Cowboys, becoming the NFL's first two-way starter since Bednarik in 1962. Bednarik was not impressed.

"The positions I played, every play, I was making contact, not like that ... Deion Sanders," Bednarik said. "He couldn't tackle my wife. He's back there dancing out there instead of hitting."

No topic is off limits for Bednarik, not even the crazed Eagles fans who paint their faces, sing the fight song and camp out early for the perfect tailgate spot on home games.

"The fans were for us, but these people are nuts," he said. "It wasn't like that then. Nobody would get there at 6 a.m. and wait and do all that. ... No way. To me, they're nuts."

Some would say the same thing about Bednarik.

Tommy McDonald, a Hall of Fame receiver who played with Bednarik from 1957-62, remains an avid Eagles supporter (he offered to suit up if Terrell Owens can't go) and has grown tired of Bednarik's act.

"I don't know how many times I've said, 'C'mon, Chuck. Get over it.' He won't let it go," McDonald said.

While McDonald says he recently rejected an offer to sell his championship ring for $5,000, Bednarik pawned the same ring and his Hall of Fame ring for needed cash.

"I'm not struggling, but I'm not that well off," Bednarik said. "I have my wedding ring. I don't need to wear nothing else. It paid for some of my income tax. I never had a child go to school here and my school tax is $5,116. School tax!"

Bednarik receives a football pension check, but, not surprisingly, he said it isn't enough.

"It stinks," Bednarik said. "It's nothing."

The winning players in Sunday's Super Bowl will get a bonus that is more than Bednarik ever made in a season. He just hopes the Eagles won't be the ones cashing those checks.

"They can root for 'em, but I want us to be the last champions," he said.

SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 02:10 PM   #2
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Old fart.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:16 PM   #3
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

What rk said.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 02:18 PM   #4
gstelmack
Pro Starter

So he's mad that his attempt to blackmail the Eagles for $1500 failed?
Old 02-04-2005, 02:18 PM   #5
Schmidty
Coordinator

Old 02-04-2005, 02:45 PM   #6
DanGarion
Coordinator

Damn I thought this was about former Liberitarian Presidential Candidate Michael Badnarik.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 02:50 PM   #7
Dutch
"Dutch"

Haha, I found it hilarious.

Quote:
Bednarik recalled playing on all but two kickoffs against the Packers. He said he could have kept playing if he needed to, unlike today's players who "suck air after five plays."

In 1996, Deion Sanders played regularly on both offense and defense for the Cowboys, becoming the NFL's first two-way starter since Bednarik in 1962. Bednarik was not impressed.

"The positions I played, every play, I was making contact, not like that ... Deion Sanders," Bednarik said. "He couldn't tackle my wife. He's back there dancing out there instead of hitting."
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 02:52 PM   #8
rkmsuf
Head Coach

That guy has issues. Let it go man.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:54 PM   #9
Dutch
"Dutch"

Lighten up, the man is 80, give him a break. But it sounds like he could still kick your ass if you called him an old fart to his face.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:55 PM   #10
QuikSand
lolzcat

Congratulations, old fart, you made the papers. Now, back off, and let us stare again at our milionaire heroes.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 02:58 PM   #11
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
Lighten up, the man is 80, give him a break. But it sounds like he could still kick your ass if you called him an old fart to his face.

Never, I'd poke him the eyes like Moe.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:26 PM   #12
condors
College Starter

Benarik is a guy i loved to watch films of on the field. Off the field he has his way of thinking. I don't doubt for 1 minute he would take all the money offered to him if he was playing today. He probally would hold out because he wants to be paid like a pro bowl linebacker AND center that he played like. He can't rip players for taking money he wouldn't turn down and not look bad about it. Guy is a hall of fame player shame he is so bitter.
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 03:30 PM   #13
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Guessing the $1500 would count as "salary" against the cap. They are pretty tight about this stuff.

Bednarik has since distanced himself from the Eagles, only reluctantly showing up for a reunion because the organization surprised him by agreeing to his demand for a limousine. No topic is off limits for Bednarik, not even the crazed Eagles fans who paint their faces, sing the fight song and camp out early for the perfect tailgate spot on home games.

"The fans were for us, but these people are nuts," he said. "It wasn't like that then. Nobody would get there at 6 a.m. and wait and do all that. ... No way. To me, they're nuts." "I'm not struggling, but I'm not that well off," Bednarik said. "I have my wedding ring. I don't need to wear nothing else. It paid for some of my income tax. I never had a child go to school here and my school tax is $5,116. School tax!"

Bednarik receives a football pension check, but, not surprisingly, he said it isn't enough.

"It stinks," Bednarik said. "It's nothing."

The winning players in Sunday's Super Bowl will get a bonus that is more than Bednarik ever made in a season. He just hopes the Eagles won't be the ones cashing those checks.

"They can root for 'em, but I want us to be the last champions," he said

Like the demands he makes for an organization he hates. Great way to piss off the fans that pay your pension plan buddy. Does this guy do anything after football to supplement his income? Love his complains about school taxes. Maybe he should move to a cheaper area if property taxes and home values (usually they reflect each other) are so high for his income?
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 03:34 PM   #14
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i found that article highly entertaining. good read.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 04:03 PM   #15
Franklinnoble
Banned

What a bitter, egotistical old bastard.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 04:33 PM   #16
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Never, I'd poke him the eyes like Moe.

I'm pretty sure the guy is half blind....but this dude sounds pretty tough, regardless. He could probably smell you and hone in on your scent and rip your arms off with his teeth. He's got BAD-ASS written all over him.

Last edited by Dutch : 02-04-2005 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:58 PM   #17
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
I'm pretty sure the guy is half blind....but this dude sounds pretty tough, regardless. He could probably smell you and hone in on your scent and rip your arms off with his gums. He's got BAD-ASS written all over him.

Fixed that for ya.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:02 PM   #18
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
Fixed that for ya.

lmao!