Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-14-2005, 04:56 PM   #1
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

HDTV Help

Umm... yeah, like the subject says. Anyone have any HDTV advice? Digital cable is available here - up to $2,000 or so is the price range...

lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 09:29 PM   #2
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I'm loving my HDTV. There is to little made for it yet, though. It is quite stunning when available. I can't reccomend anything on the TV. I bought mine last year on the lower end. It is a rear projection 42 inch Toshiba. It is really nice, came with its own stand/case. You could something much bigger. I think the 52 inch Toshiba was a best buy from Consumer Reports last year. At $2000 you might could go with a different format that would better.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 09:40 PM   #3
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

My advice is to stay away from rear projection in favor of smaller plasma or LCD tv's - a lot more expenesive, but I think its worth its personally.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 09:44 PM   #4
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
My advice is to stay away from rear projection in favor of smaller plasma or LCD tv's - a lot more expenesive, but I think its worth its personally.

And personally I don't, but like I said it is up to how you want to spend your money (Size versus picture quality).
Old 01-14-2005, 09:49 PM   #5
JimboJ
High School Varsity

I bought a Toshiba 55" rear projection TV last year (the one that was rated #1 by Consumer Reports), and I love it. As GrantDog mentioned, there still aren't a lot of TV shows made for HD right now. For that reason, I'm kind of sorry I didn't wait for the prices to come down first. If you watch a lot of DVD's then its probably worth getting one. If you watch mostly TV, you might want to wait a bit.
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 09:54 PM   #6
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

I've got a 52" RCA rear projection that I bought a year ago. The picture is stunning. With this tv and the surround sound system we put in I pretty much refuse to go to a theatre. Why bother when I can watch a movie at home on my comfy couch with plenty of snacks and drinks at a fraction of the cost
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 09:59 PM   #7
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Sony 34" Wega tube TV here. Great set, and football is awesome in HD ;-)
Old 01-14-2005, 10:17 PM   #8
JimboJ
High School Varsity

You know what's even better on HD than football??

Not that it does you much good now, but.... hockey on ESPN! I got mine near the end of the season last year, and I remember how amazing the game looked and how much easier it was to follow the puck.

Maybe sometime in our lifetime we'll get hockey back.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:11 AM   #9
henry296
College Starter

At the 2,000 price point, the LCD or Plasma sets are out of reach though unless you want a small LCD. I have a 46" Sony and love it. No complaints, currently around 1500 and then 200 for the stand.

Todd
Old 01-15-2005, 07:02 AM   #10
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot

I couldn't disagree more. The increase in picture quality is minimal (if any) compared to the amount that you will pay for the LCD or plasma. I have a 53" RPTV, my dad has a 53" LCD. Neither one of us notice a difference in picture quality and my dad paid nearly twice as much for his TV as I did.

If the reason to avoid RPTV is because of ghosting/burn-in, just adjust the contrast to a reasonable level when you first get the TV. I watch shows with logos in the lower corner, play X-Box, blah, blah, blah, all the time. Absolutely no sign of any ghosting.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:34 AM   #11
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I bought my HDTV 3 years ago. We didn't watch much in HD until the past 6 months. It really all depends on what you are looking for. The HD part is going to work about the same from model to model. I have an RPTV and have had no problems. An advantage is how easy it is to move around compared to a non-RPTV (at least the ones I have checked out).

It is important to note that it isn't just "digital cable" that makes use of the HD components, it has to be High Definition (which may or may not be offered at all by your cable company). The cable company in my area offers ZERO HD programming. I get my HD programming from DirecTV and with an antenna (you will still need a receiver).

The best advice I could give is to avoid any TVs that have built-in ATSC (over-the-air digital tv) tuners or DirecTV receivers.

Last edited by Tekneek : 01-15-2005 at 07:40 AM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 07:37 AM   #12
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmar
If the reason to avoid RPTV is because of ghosting/burn-in, just adjust the contrast to a reasonable level when you first get the TV. I watch shows with logos in the lower corner, play X-Box, blah, blah, blah, all the time. Absolutely no sign of any ghosting.

As long as you don't leave a static screen on for extended periods, you will be fine. It really only happens if you watch one channel all of the time. I've seen one that had the "Fox Sports Net" logo burned into the upper right corner...but that is an abnormal occurence. They literally had the TV on a FSN channel constantly.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:57 AM   #13
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
As long as you don't leave a static screen on for extended periods, you will be fine. It really only happens if you watch one channel all of the time. I've seen one that had the "Fox Sports Net" logo burned into the upper right corner...but that is an abnormal occurence. They literally had the TV on a FSN channel constantly.

Like at sports bars and such. I saw one with the Fox News burned on in a shop where they leave that on all day.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:05 PM   #14
JimboJ
High School Varsity

Quote:
I couldn't disagree more. The increase in picture quality is minimal (if any) compared to the amount that you will pay for the LCD or plasma. I have a 53" RPTV, my dad has a 53" LCD. Neither one of us notice a difference in picture quality and my dad paid nearly twice as much for his TV as I did.

I pretty much felt the same way. Sure it's cool to show off your new plasma TV, but at the end of the day are you really going to notice that much difference for the extra $ you paid?

It's like I can't understand why anyone would spend $2000 for a stereo system, when my $300 system sounds just fine to my ears. It just depends how picky you are.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:53 PM   #15
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboJ
It just depends how picky you are.

Or if you prefer style over substance...
Old 01-15-2005, 05:47 PM   #16
moriarty
College Starter

If you have a Costco in your area, check out the 50" Samsung DLP for about $2500. The 43" might be in your price range. I have one and have been very satisfied.

The DLP's have a very good picture w/ HD (any big screen isn't going to look too good w/ standard television). Plus it's alot thinner and lighter (17" and 70lbs) than alot of the older rear projection, 3 gun models.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 05:28 PM   #17
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
Bump, since I'm into buying mode now and am starting to think about these sorts of things.

For those with widescreens, how do you watch regular programming? Do you stretch it (and if so, how does it look) or do you use the side bars (in which case, any fear of burning there)?
Old 01-25-2005, 05:32 PM   #18
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Bump, since I'm into buying mode now and am starting to think about these sorts of things.

For those with widescreens, how do you watch regular programming? Do you stretch it (and if so, how does it look) or do you use the side bars (in which case, any fear of burning there)?

post here too

hxxp://www.avsforum.com/
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 05:42 PM   #19
henry296
College Starter

I stretch it. It doesn't bother me and I really can't tell the difference.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:06 PM   #20
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Just adding to the discussion here... does anyone know if this has any basis?

In my operations management class, this morning, the topic of plasma TV's came up. The professor, who seems to be pretty well-versed in various industries as a consultant, said that currently the price of plasma TV's is halving each year... is that a total exageration, or is there some truth to it?
Old 01-26-2005, 07:31 AM   #21
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

Well, the ghosting/burn in thing takes years to show up. Don't say it does not exist because you don't see it after a few months.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:42 AM   #22
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
Well, the ghosting/burn in thing takes years to show up. Don't say it does not exist because you don't see it after a few months.

I have difficulty believing that it takes "years" for it to show up. If you want to burn your RPTV, crank up the contrast on the set and leave it on ESPN for a week without turning it off. I'd say you'll burn-in the bottom line pretty quickly. Fact is, usage patterns and contrast settings make all the difference in the world. Don't act as though it can't be prevented with a little attention to detail. Its impact on the way that you use your TV is overstated. Can it happen? Sure. All I'm saying is don't let the guy down at Tweeter talk you into paying twice as much for an LCD TV because of the horrors of burn-in on the RPTV models...

Last edited by Aylmar : 01-26-2005 at 07:58 AM.
Aylmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:51 PM   #23
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

One of the stores up here has a good deal on the Hitachi 46F500. Anyone have one, or have any thoughts on the specs below?

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...chi_46f500.htm
Old 01-26-2005, 02:49 PM   #24
Bee
Pro Starter

IF you can control the light in the room, I'd highly recommend checking out a front projector. You can get a Infocus 4805 for $1300 and then easily build a screen for less than $100.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 03:31 PM   #25
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
I have difficulty believing that it takes "years" for it to show up. If you want to burn your RPTV, crank up the contrast on the set and leave it on ESPN for a week without turning it off. I'd say you'll burn-in the bottom line pretty quickly. Fact is, usage patterns and contrast settings make all the difference in the world. Don't act as though it can't be prevented with a little attention to detail. Its impact on the way that you use your TV is overstated. Can it happen? Sure. All I'm saying is don't let the guy down at Tweeter talk you into paying twice as much for an LCD TV because of the horrors of burn-in on the RPTV models...

If you leave it on one channel it will burn in quickly. However, even taking the recommended precautions of never leaving a still image, or leaving it on the same channel with stationary graphics for hours, you will see some burn in in a couple years.

Usage patterns and contrast settings cannot prevent, they can only delay, burn in.