Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-24-2005, 01:08 AM   #1
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Existentialism on Prom Night

I'm just fascinated that there is a song that's gaining popularity with the name "Existentialism on Prom Night".

Not a bad video, or song, either, for that matter. But I can't imagine that 10% of the high school kids singing it even know what the title means.

For what it's worth, the band is called Straylight Run.

Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 02:26 AM   #2
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Straylight Run blows!!!

Sorry.

Okay--I take it back...I have actually never heard straylight run's music. I'm just trying to be cool here....

Last edited by Karlifornia : 01-24-2005 at 02:28 AM.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 02:42 AM   #3
TLK
Pro Starter

Who are they?

am I out of the loop or something?

My sister (16) told me today that she gets to see them, and she only paid $10 for her ticket. I listen to a lot of music (not the radio though), and have never heard of them....
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 06:54 AM   #4
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'm familiar with the song, it's available as a free download from Straylight Run's website. I'm not a huge fan of the song or band, but it's different than most of the stuff out there.

FYI- The lead singer of Straylight Run is a former member of Taking Back Sunday. The only reason I know is because both bands are big on campuses everywhere, from what I can tell.

Last edited by samifan24 : 01-24-2005 at 06:55 AM.
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:27 AM   #5
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i wasnt too impressed with the song at first. but after about 5 listens, i like it now. though i dont think i was ever a fan of taking back sunday (who can tell them all apart these days?)
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:52 AM   #6
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24
FYI- The lead singer of Straylight Run is a former member of Taking Back Sunday. The only reason I know is because both bands are big on campuses everywhere, from what I can tell.

I knew there was something familiar with the thing, and I never knew why.

Song is ok, gets decent play on a couple different Sirius rock stations....
Old 01-24-2005, 02:44 PM   #7
zums
H.S. Freshman Team

was supposed to see them last sat. as an opening act for something corporate, along with hidden in plain view and the academy is (my gf got tickets for xmas), .... unforutnately a snow storm hit w/ severely blowing winds and i got stuck in a snow drift about 5 miles from my house (2 hours from chicago) FUCK!

anyways... they are ok, gotta be in the right mood to listen to em, i think those other two bands could end up hittin it big in the future as well so keep ur ears open for em. something corporate is definately awesome though, if you have never listened DEFINATELY check em out.

-zums
zums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 02:50 PM   #8
samifan24
Pro Starter

I don't think Straylight Run is even in the same league with Something Corporate. One's opening for the other. I'm a big SoCo fan myself.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:51 PM   #9
Recoil
High School Varsity

They're defiantely a "moody" type band. Existentialism on Prom Night is defiantely their best song as I can't get into any of their other songs besides maybe Your Name Here on occasion.
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 02:52 PM   #10
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zums
was supposed to see them last sat. as an opening act for something corporate, along with hidden in plain view and the academy is (my gf got tickets for xmas), .... unforutnately a snow storm hit w/ severely blowing winds and i got stuck in a snow drift about 5 miles from my house (2 hours from chicago) FUCK!

anyways... they are ok, gotta be in the right mood to listen to em, i think those other two bands could end up hittin it big in the future as well so keep ur ears open for em. something corporate is definately awesome though, if you have never listened DEFINATELY check em out.

-zums
SoCo is something else. I can't wait to see him do some solo work with just him and the piano it would be great.

I saw them a couple years back right before they did their first big time tour.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 02:54 PM   #11
Recoil
High School Varsity

SoCo is decent. Leaving Through The Window is a pretty good pop record, but I thought North was horrible.
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 02:57 PM   #12
zums
H.S. Freshman Team

yeah they are my gf's all time favorite band (soco), and i'm a pretty big fan myself so needless to say we were pretty disappointed we couldnt make it. i havent read any show reviews either as i'm scared to see i missed something awesome... anways, anybody got any info/links/mp3s of jack's mannequin, which is i believe andrew's solo side project? i noticed there is a song on the upcoming purevolume comp. any body wanna hook me up?!!?

zums

ps - as a make up xmas present, she may be getting us tickets to the taste of chaos tour in marchish.. wouldnt be too bad
Old 01-24-2005, 02:58 PM   #13
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil
SoCo is decent. Leaving Through The Window is a pretty good pop record, but I thought North was horrible.
Yeah they let me down a little with North, but it grows on you. Just like the most recent Sugarcult album, I wasn't really into it at first but I haven't been able to stop listening to it the past week.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:00 PM   #14
zums
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil

i agree leaving through the window was better.. couldnt get into north as much but still good.

-zums
Old 01-24-2005, 03:02 PM   #15
zums
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion
Yeah they let me down a little with North, but it grows on you. Just like the most recent Sugarcult album, I wasn't really into it at first but I haven't been able to stop listening to it the past week.

that is kind of surprising, i think sugarcult's new album is miles ahead of "start static" and was into it immediately. also, the new anberlin cd is pretty good if anybody is into them.

-zums
Old 01-24-2005, 03:04 PM   #16
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zums
that is kind of surprising, i think sugarcult's new album is miles ahead of "start static" and was into it immediately. also, the new anberlin cd is pretty good if anybody is into them.

-zums
I guess I was just so used to 'start static', but the new album is now one of my faves.

Tomorrow I get to hopefully pick up a copy of Plain White T's new album, I just have to see if my local record store will have it.