Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-20-2005, 03:55 PM   #1
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

EA Sports NFL deal

Some 'official' feedback from a local tech columnist on the EA/NFL deal.http://www.freep.com/money/tech/newman20e_20050120.htm

Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 04:42 PM   #2
SackAttack
Head Coach

I don't think anybody denies that. EA spent a pretty penny to get the license, and they aren't going to make it up in volume, as the saying goes.

The question is whether they sell it for $54.99 or $59.99, or the more outlandish $69.99 that's been whispering around among retail employees.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 05:23 PM   #3
Kodos
Resident Alien

I don't think people will be willing to pay more than $50.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 05:27 PM   #4
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
I don't think anybody denies that. EA spent a pretty penny to get the license, and they aren't going to make it up in volume, as the saying goes.

The question is whether they sell it for $54.99 or $59.99, or the more outlandish $69.99 that's been whispering around among retail employees.

I would think that they would have a lot more advertisements in the game to offset the cost of the game increasing.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 05:31 PM   #5
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
I don't think people will be willing to pay more than $50.

You didn't see how the collector's edition flew off the shelves, apparently. People will pay it.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:33 PM   #6
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

For me, If it was very good, I think I'd pay more than 50. I don't think I'd pay 70 unless I knew it was MUCH better than the previous version. If they go to 70, I'll likely just keep playing Madden 2005 next year.

I'm not sure where my line would be, but I do think 70 will be over it.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 05:33 PM   #7
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
I would think that they would have a lot more advertisements in the game to offset the cost of the game increasing.

Also a possibility, but limited effectiveness. They can't circumvent the stadium naming deals the NFL teams have, for example, nor can they go to those sponsors and say "your stadium name will be in our game, you should pay us more."

What they're limited to will be things like logos on the field (a possibility, but one wonders if the NFL or the several teams might prefer their own ads there), the sponsorship of the game being played ("Week 13 of the NFL brought to you by Nokia," or something), or the halftime show. Possibly once they start using the ESPN brand, they can call it "Sportscenter sponsored by," etc.

But while they'll certainly look to sell more ads (or charge more for the existing ones), they don't have the flexibility TV networks have - specifically, the ability to sell 30 second ad spots.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:34 PM   #8
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
For me, If it was very good, I think I'd pay more than 50. I don't think I'd pay 70 unless I knew it was MUCH better than the previous version. If they go to 70, I'll likely just keep playing Madden 2005 next year.

I'm not sure where my line would be, but I do think 70 will be over it.

I don't think 70 would fly for the mass market, but for the "gotta have it on day 1" crowd, you just never know.

I think the price will ultimately settle for something like a collector's edition at 59 or 64, with the game itself being 59 or 54.

EDIT: Obviously if the CE is $59, the regular would be $54, but other than that, mix-and-match applies.

Last edited by SackAttack : 01-20-2005 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:37 PM   #9
Kodos
Resident Alien

I bought the collector's edition, but that was a one-time deal. I don't think I've even used the extra features but once.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:38 PM   #10
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
But while they'll certainly look to sell more ads (or charge more for the existing ones), they don't have the flexibility TV networks have - specifically, the ability to sell 30 second ad spots.

I have always felt that, at some point in the future, sports games will have 'commercial breaks' that you cannot skip through.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 05:58 PM   #11
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
I have always felt that, at some point in the future, sports games will have 'commercial breaks' that you cannot skip through.

And I'd wager that when that happens, you'll see a significant drop in game sales.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:01 PM   #12
Kodos
Resident Alien

I wouldn't put up with that kind of crap. I would just stick with the old non-commercial ridden game. Irregardless, alot of that depends on what kindof gamer ur and weather or not the game is dominate.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:05 PM   #13
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I read somewhere that though EA is paying a steep price now (for the exclusive license), when the five years are up it's going to be a different story. Most of the current developers will have likely stopped putting forth much of an effort into developing new football products. EA will pretty much be the only game in town for the NFL and could re-new the agreement for a reduced price. Eh, it could happen.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 02:23 AM   #14
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

70 for a game? Payed 80 for MK 3 all those years back.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:41 AM   #15
SackAttack
Head Coach

Phantasy Star IV was $99.99 brand new when it came out. Such price points aren't without precedent, but the folks willing to spend that kind of money on one game tend to be hobbyists. Just look at the prices collectors pay for games such as Radiant Silvergun or Panzer Dragoon Saga on the Sega Saturn, or Stadium Games on the NES.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:59 AM   #16
Ragone
Pro Rookie

ncaa 2005 had commericals in it.. those stupid pontiac classic moment things.. or whatnot
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 02:59 AM   #17
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
And I'd wager that when that happens, you'll see a significant drop in game sales.

People still go to the movies even though you're subjected to 15 minutes of ads and previews now.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 03:02 AM   #18
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
I read somewhere that though EA is paying a steep price now (for the exclusive license), when the five years are up it's going to be a different story. Most of the current developers will have likely stopped putting forth much of an effort into developing new football products. EA will pretty much be the only game in town for the NFL and could re-new the agreement for a reduced price. Eh, it could happen.

Yeah, but since it is the NFL which initiated the exclusive deal talks, they may just say that EA has to pay up or else they'll see if someone else wants that exclusive deal.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:45 AM   #19
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
People still go to the movies even though you're subjected to 15 minutes of ads and previews now.

I try to show up late in the previews.