Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-18-2005, 03:46 PM   #1
jeronemitchell
n00b

3rd Round Pick Penalty

Is there a reason for the "third round pick" penalty for being over the cap? Should there be more or less? I understand that, for the most part, noone ever goes beyond the "hard" salary cap in the NFL; is there simply no established penalty for doing so?

I ask this because I'm not really a football fan, but more of a basketball fan. As such, I didn't give a second thought to going over the salary cap in a MP game, and even asked a few players (and a then-Commish of the league) about it. Everyone essentially said "it's crazy, it won't work, but you can try it if you want". Now, after a tweaking of Commish-ship and a trading/drafting strategy designed to work around the limitations of being over the cap, there is a bit of an issue in the game I play in about being hopelessly over the cap. Soooooo... I'm curious as to why there is a mechanism for it if you aren't supposed to do it... and why the penalty is what it is.

Anyone have any insight?

jeronemitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:40 PM   #2
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

First, let me know how it goes. We had a debate at IHOF about how feasable this stragety could be. It seems like it would take a couple of years to set it up, and you would have to cross your fingers and hope for no injuries that require you to sign someone that year.

As to whether a MP league should allow someone to do it or impose a penalty beyond the third round pick . . . that is completely up to the league.

I think that I recall someone mentioning that the real life rules/penalties for salary cap breaking are harsh and complex. I assume that Jim designed the FOF engine to mimic reality to the extent that it would be fun, but to sacrifice some realism for the sake of ease and fun. I don't want to put words into Jim's mouth, but it would make sense.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:49 PM   #3
Joe
Pro Starter

the denver broncos only got penalized a 3rd round pick and 950K for circumventing the cap during 96-98, in their championship years.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote