Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-13-2005, 01:58 PM   #1
Suicane75
Coordinator

Online Poker Eitquite

Ok, so yesterday i'm at a table, and the moment I sit down theres a group of 4 gusy going back and forth with each other, "I can't believe you chased that" "Lucky river for you, I had the nut flush" "I had top pair till the river you #@$@" "Do you even know what you're doing?" Yadda yadda yadda, it was just incesant, constant, was driving me insane, after and during every hand they were bickering like schoolkids, so I finaly had enough. I got my cards and made an announcement, "I have 7c5h7h5c, what should I do?" Well, 3 people at my table went nuts, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" "YOU ARE BREAKING THE FIRST RULE OF POKER!@" "IM EMAILING SUPPORT!@!"

Did I go over the line?

Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:02 PM   #2
Calis
College Starter

Ignore it, or use it against them. I try to drown out 99% of the chat in poker rooms.

One thing did bother me the other day, 3 of us left in a tourney and I had about 3-4x as many chips as they did. One guy went all in, the other folded, it came to me and I had AKo..well obviously I called.

He had pocket 10's..and when it ended he told me I got lucky and it was a horrible move. Then we had a couple minutes discussion about it, and I couldn't believe the guy actually thought it was a horrible move. I'm used to seeing people play crazy online, not people who play tight beyond all reasoning. Bugged me though.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:06 PM   #3
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis
Ignore it, or use it against them. I try to drown out 99% of the chat in poker rooms.

One thing did bother me the other day, 3 of us left in a tourney and I had about 3-4x as many chips as they did. One guy went all in, the other folded, it came to me and I had AKo..well obviously I called.

He had pocket 10's..and when it ended he told me I got lucky and it was a horrible move. Then we had a couple minutes discussion about it, and I couldn't believe the guy actually thought it was a horrible move. I'm used to seeing people play crazy online, not people who play tight beyond all reasoning. Bugged me though.
Was it a preflop call?
Old 01-13-2005, 02:11 PM   #4
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover
Funny how these types of players think they know what they're talking about. I usually ignore their comments, or at least snicker at them from behind my monitor.

Same here, I just snapped. Hehe.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:11 PM   #5
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
Ok, so yesterday i'm at a table, and the moment I sit down theres a group of 4 gusy going back and forth with each other, "I can't believe you chased that" "Lucky river for you, I had the nut flush" "I had top pair till the river you #@$@" "Do you even know what you're doing?" Yadda yadda yadda, it was just incesant, constant, was driving me insane, after and during every hand they were bickering like schoolkids, so I finaly had enough. I got my cards and made an announcement, "I have 7c5h7h5c, what should I do?" Well, 3 people at my table went nuts, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" "YOU ARE BREAKING THE FIRST RULE OF POKER!@" "IM EMAILING SUPPORT!@!"

Did I go over the line?
Funny how these types of players think they know what they're talking about. I usually ignore their comments, or at least snicker at them from behind my monitor.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:22 PM   #6
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I certainly wouldn't announce your hand. There might be some cardinal rule about that, but I am not aware of that. I just generally wouldn't because you might be screwing with another player, even inadvertantly.

As for the incessant talking I was playing an online game with one of my friends. I actually joined the table after sitting on the waiting list for a while. There was a guy sitting to the right of my buddy who was playing crazy loose, and he was chatting up a storm. He was proclaiming his dominance at the table. My friend surprised me by joining in. He was giving it right back at the guy. Saying "Keep right on playing those shitty hands, pretty soon it's gonna catch up to you." The guy gets pissed, and takes it up a notch. My buddy keeps right along with him. Well to make a long story short, within an hour my friend had busted the guy three times. So you can use overconfident chattiness to your advantage.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:27 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I've already become a fan of the "ignore chat", or whatever the heck it's called, feature.

I think the worst I've seen was over this past weekend, a genuinely obnoxious guy who HAD A BROKEN CAPS LOCK or something, driving an entire table up the wall. When he was finally sent packing with his tail between his legs, no less than 3 people thanked the person who cashed him out in just a matter of seconds.

In wise internet poker form, the recipient of our gratitude ... didn't say a word in response
Old 01-13-2005, 02:38 PM   #8
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I always have chat turned off.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:52 PM   #9
AnalBumCover
College Starter

At the micro limits, I see a constant stream of observers coming in and begging for a quarter. "i'll pay you back 50c when i win." "please?" "anyone?"
Old 01-13-2005, 02:58 PM   #10
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover
Was it a preflop call?

Yeah.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 03:04 PM   #11
Suicane75
Coordinator

I usualy do turn chat off, but i admit that in the early morning im generaly alot more talkative and alot more loose with my cash, probably shouldnt play when im tired, lol. I do turn off chat usualy if people are being annoying, i guess i just got fed up and decided to be a dick.

One night i sat down at a table and there was a chatty fellow just to the left of me, and he was raising everything and calling everything to the river, annoying playing habits but at the same time he was really funny and a nice guy, it seemed like he just didnt care about losing. I took him for a $40 pot and begged him to calm down but he just reloaded and kept on playing.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:05 PM   #12
korme
Go Reds

what is eitquite?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 03:06 PM   #13
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
what is eitquite?

Eat me.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:08 PM   #14
Subby
lolzcat

Don't tap the fish tank.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 03:10 PM   #15
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Don't tap the fish tank.

agreed.

If they're colluding report them and leave. If they're just fish let them do what they want while you take their money. Or, if they are that annoying, there's quieter fish in the sea.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 03:13 PM   #16
sooner333
College Starter

I just wish there were rules against calling all-in's with 4-7 suited against my Q-J suited...even if he had the chip-lead in a tournament. And if they do that, I wish there were rules against him ending up with two-pair to my queen high...but I guess we always forget how much luck has to do with it.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 03:57 PM   #17
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333
I just wish there were rules against calling all-in's with 4-7 suited against my Q-J suited...even if he had the chip-lead in a tournament. And if they do that, I wish there were rules against him ending up with two-pair to my queen high...but I guess we always forget how much luck has to do with it.

Well, depending on your relative stack sizes and the blinds, that was the correct call.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 01-13-2005, 04:46 PM   #18
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Well, depending on your relative stack sizes and the blinds, that was the correct call.

Okay, here's the situation.

5 people at the table, 50/100 blinds

Position 1 (ME): 1,535
Pos 2: 1,550
Pos 3: 2,780
Pos 4 (Caller) 3,615 (Small blind)
Pos 5: 520 (Big Blind)

I'm first to act and call 100 bucks.
Pos two folds
Pos 3 calls
Pos 4 raises 150
Pos 5 folds on his big blind
I go all-in, seeing that there was enough money out there to increase my position enough to try to make a run at the top 3 (which is usually my goal and I go from there).
Other guy in hand folds
Caller calls all-in.

I have KQ spades
he has 74 clubs.

I still think it's a ridiculous call on his part.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:47 PM   #19
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I agree sooner. Maybe he was he was large stack and decided to play agressive. guess you have a shot at the flush and straight but it was either a ballsy all or a stupid call depending n how you look at it.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:53 PM   #20
sooner333
College Starter

Yeah, I mean, it's not like I was playing all tourney with a really loose repuation and showing all kinds of bluffs. I basically had won two hands to get to where I was. One time I went all-in and they folded (when i had a high flush draw after the flop) and one where I had stayed in off of my checked big blind (I think, may have just played the hand late in position when the blinds weren't huge) and got three eights (one in my hand, one on the flop, one on the river) and just bet 30 bucks at the end to sucker a guy into calling me. Didn't end up winning much though.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:06 PM   #21
sooner333
College Starter

Dola: I mean, I'm glad he called because I'm a 63-37 favorite in the hand and if I had won (like I would the majority of the time), I would have been in very good position to win the whole thing. Granted, I thought I was more of a favorite than that, but still, I want a player like that to call every time.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:14 AM   #22
digamma
Torchbearer

I had an awful beat the other night. A guy drew Q, then A on the turn and river for a full house of aces over queens to beat my set of Kings (which became a full house of kings over aces with the ace on the river).

I can take bad beats like that, but from reading the chat munchkins, you would have thought this guy was a seasoned pro making a great play (he called my all-in post-flop--and not that it was a bad call initially, with top pair, you can certainly justify it, but it wasn't the stuff of which legends are made).

Last edited by digamma : 01-14-2005 at 09:15 AM.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 09:33 AM   #23
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333
Okay, here's the situation.

5 people at the table, 50/100 blinds

Position 1 (ME): 1,535
Pos 2: 1,550
Pos 3: 2,780
Pos 4 (Caller) 3,615 (Small blind)
Pos 5: 520 (Big Blind)

I'm first to act and call 100 bucks.
Pos two folds
Pos 3 calls
Pos 4 raises 150
Pos 5 folds on his big blind
I go all-in, seeing that there was enough money out there to increase my position enough to try to make a run at the top 3 (which is usually my goal and I go from there).
Other guy in hand folds
Caller calls all-in.

I have KQ spades
he has 74 clubs.

I still think it's a ridiculous call on his part.

You made the first mistake in that hand by not open raising at least 3xBB...

I think your second mistake was pushing all-in over a raise with KQ (you are already behind 26 possible starting hands at this point).

Yes, the chip leader was being overly aggressive, but I think you also made several mistakes in this hand.

I only say that because I have been there way too many times