Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-13-2005, 12:27 PM   #1
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Firewall Help

Hey guys and girls i could use some firewall help. I am moving into a new house that i had wired with a network. I am a mortgage broker and will be doing a lot of work from home and would like some firewall safety. I have no clue in this area so any suggestions would be great. I will be using Comcast cable internet as my service provider. Thanks in advance.

cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 12:37 PM   #2
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Zone Alarm provides a good free software firewall. I had them until internet buzz indicated that one of their updates caused a lot of machines to go screwy. I have no idea if they got back on track or not.

Right now, I have Norton Internet Security, which is an antivirus and firewall all in one. I have had almost no problems with it, though some have said that it is not compatible with all systems.

Your best bet, I have heard, is to get an external firewall--but I was unable to find one that was not also a router--which I didn't need and for which I didn't want to pay extra.

So--in short, I have NIS, and I like it.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 01:01 PM   #3
Franklinnoble
Banned

Ping: Router Help
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 01:02 PM   #4
rkmsuf
Head Coach

He wants firewall help so shouldn't he ping Firewall Help? duh.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:21 PM   #5
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Firewall Help

You could get by with any of the Linksys firewall cable/dsl routers. They are inexpensive and will provide the protection you need. If you go with a wireless one I do recommend setting up WEP or MAC filtering for additional security. It should explain how in the manual. Look for the BEFSX41, that should do the trick. You can find them for $60-$70.

If you want a more industrial quality one go for a Cisco PIX 501 or Checkpoint Safe@Office 110. They'll run $300-$600.

Last edited by Lonnie : 01-13-2005 at 08:22 PM.
Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 08:38 PM   #6
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

You can certainly run ZoneAlarm or Norton and be ok if you keep the firewall settings fairly high. The annoying problem is if you have a personal computer on the same network, your accessibility to normal web surfing/game playing will be quite limited.

Otherwise I think your best bet is an external firewall like others said.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:07 PM   #7
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Firewalls on the basic level do 2 things - one is to prevent unwanted incoming traffic (ie from the web) and the other is to prevent (or monitor) outgoing traffic (a program on your computer accessing the web without your permission).

Any external router (like the Linksys) have a firewall built in that does fine against the first thing (basically, it "hides" your computer from random pings and stuff). But it doesn't really do much for the 2nd aspect.

A software firewall (for example, Zone Alarm), will handle both things, and is generally easier to both configure and monitor than routers. However, it does take up system resources (it's running in the background) and, personally, I find it to generally be more annoying than anything.

In my case, I just use the firewall in the router. If I ever get suspicious about stuff accessing the net on my PC, it's always possible to just run Zone Alarm for a day or so to see what's up.