Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-13-2005, 03:42 AM   #51
Axxon
Pro Starter

dola,

I wasn't knocking your opinion Tigercat. I recognize that the movie probably doesn't age well but at the time it did make sense and it was thought provoking and it wasn't done simply for shocks sake. That's what I was getting at, not saying anything bad about your opinion just maybe giving you some ideas about why people liked it so much.

Also, to add to it, there was more shocking stuff on tv in those days. There was graphic footage of death and carnage in vietnam. There were riots in our cities. There were SLA bombings and the weathermen and Kent State and lets not even talk about Alabama and the deep south. The country was screwed up and we don't really dwell on it anymore but it was a rough time but the Kumbaya crowd was out in force and it was a big dope inspired lovefest which really wasn't based in reality.

Can you blame somebody for reflecting what was happening in the real world and making a statement about it?

Last edited by Axxon : 01-13-2005 at 03:46 AM.
Axxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 06:44 AM   #52
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew
I freely confess that I, too, really like Sense and Sensibility. I like the old version (Lawrence Olivier) of Pride & Predjudice, too. Heck, I even liked Emma.

Sorry, oliegirl; I'm already spoken for.

Damn...if only I'd waited a couple extra months to get married!

Just kidding radii
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 06:56 AM   #53
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan
You must not have seen many movies. It's not a classic by any stretch but far from the worst movie of all time IMHO.

Best: Me, myself... just kidding.

Best:
The Patriot
Die Hard (1 and 3)
Braveheart
The Lost Boys - not really the best but a movie that I always have to stop and watch when it's on

Worst:
Star Trek (not sure which number but the one where they 'find god', either 3 or 5)
4 Weddings and a Funeral - those lousy date movies
Little Nicky
Zoolander

Zoolander is one of the funniest movies I've seen...it took a second watching but some of that stuff is hilarious.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:20 AM   #54
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon
Of course, if you missed the whole anti peace and love crowd themes and the whole satirical anti rehabilitation plot both of which were huge issues in the late 60's early '70's and the very obvious statement that there's a bit of violence in us all and there very well has to be to survive in society in general, then yeah, it's just shock for shocks sake.

A lot of us got a lot more out of it though. Can a man survive without violence? We had just had the civil rights movement which was non violent and people were really into the whole peace and love thing and the doctors in the movie were modeled after this ideal. Very idealistic, very sheltered ivory tower types, concerned with theory and science who hadn't lived in the real world like Alex did so see they couldn't have known what everyone else knows, life is a bitch and sometimes you have to be too.

We also had one of their own, the victims husband, who knew the truth and in fact, he himself disproves their whole point by his treatment of Alex after he finds out who he was. See, even the ultra liberal peaceful guys are capable of opening up a can of whoop ass and if you aren't ready to fight back, you're screwed.

The whole law/criminal scale is cleverly commented by his ex gang members becoming police but really never changingwhich was also extremely topical in that era when pigs was the operative word for policemen.

Of course, it could have all been just shock for shocks sake.

If I were at home right now, I think I would put on a bit of the old Ludwig Van and relax a bit.

I just think a big part of driving home the points of the movie has to come by overwhelming you with horror of certain deplorable actions. For some reason thats just a direction that doesn't appeal to me. Maybe because I am too senitmental when it comes to people?

Admitedly, I also had some bad experiences with the movie, like being caught watching parts of it with a friend who had been sexually assaulted. Although I don't think it would be my bag even without that experience. Big Kubrick fan on everything else though.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:37 AM   #55
Klinglerware
College Starter

Interestingly enough, Anthony Burgess said in an interview that he hated the Kubrick adaptation. Apparently, the American version of the book (which Kubrick based the movie) left out the final chapter, where Alex is an adult regretting his past. Haven't read the thing so I can't really comment on it--but it allegedly makes Alex more redeeming, and is supposed to pack more of an ironic punch: the government attempt to modify Alex's behavior is ultimately useless, since Alex ends up feeling regret of his own free will (not a by-product of simple aversion response)...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:52 AM   #56
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked
Zoolander is one of the funniest movies I've seen...it took a second watching but some of that stuff is hilarious.

Maybe I need a second viewing. I know I've seen worse movies but their names escape me at the moment (must be blocking them out).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 12:07 PM   #57
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Worst movies:

Red Zone Cuba

I suppose if you saw one of the more famous MST3K movies actually in theater, that counts for a lot

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 12:10 PM   #58
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl
Damn...if only I'd waited a couple extra months to get married!

Just think, you could have been the lucky girl to have, what, ten or so of his kids.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 12:30 PM   #59
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
I suppose if you saw one of the more famous MST3K movies actually in theater, that counts for a lot

SI

No I saw the misted version. Have it on tape in fact. Have never gotten to the end. I am an avid fan of MST3K but they weren't enough with this movie. All I could even think to say is, 'why'. Horrid in every possible way. Nothing redeeming about it.

Ironically Kiss of the Spider Woman is the only movie I've ever walked out of in a theater. I didn't intend to. I got up to go to the bathroom and two elderly ladies were in front of me. One said to the other 'I can't believe we were sitting here watching this crap.' I agreed so I snuck into Invasion USA instead. Now, this was also crap but in a way I could handle and I still like the movie, mainly because of when I saw it. KotSW will make you appreciate any movie you see right after it.

I'm not going to try this experiment with RZC though. My head might explode.

Basically that's why I put them on this list. They are the only two movies I've seen that I didn't watch all the way. That should count for something.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:33 PM   #60
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Best:
LOTR 1, 2, and 3
Braveheart
Star Wars
To Kill a Mockingbird

Worst:
Congo
The Quiet American
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 12:39 PM   #61
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat
I just think a big part of driving home the points of the movie has to come by overwhelming you with horror of certain deplorable actions. For some reason thats just a direction that doesn't appeal to me. Maybe because I am too senitmental when it comes to people?

Admitedly, I also had some bad experiences with the movie, like being caught watching parts of it with a friend who had been sexually assaulted. Although I don't think it would be my bag even without that experience. Big Kubrick fan on everything else though.

I can appreciate that. Like I said, I don't think that was his intention but it seems like it now. There was far worse violence shown every night on tv with the war footage. I also think it was visionary. Some of the things Alex did pale in comparison to some of the news stories we read lately.

I do want to warn you, don't EVER see the movie Irreversable. There are a couple of scenes in that one that would make A Clockwork Orange look like It's a Wonderful Life.

A couple of scenes almost shocked even me and I will honestly say that those scenes were two of the most disturbing things I've ever seen on film. If anybody reading can handle that sort of thing and like offbeat dark indie pics you might want to give it a rent. I warned you though.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:42 PM   #62
Axxon
Pro Starter

I'd like to add a new category.

Best cinematography in a movie.

The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover.
Saving Private Ryan
Dances With Wolves
Field of Dreams
Old 01-13-2005, 12:52 PM   #63
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Saving Private Ryan
Dances With Wolves
Field of Dreams

For all its plot problems and such, AI had tremendous cinematography. Really cool perspectives, uses of mirrored surfaces, etc

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:46 PM   #64
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Saving Private Ryan
Dances With Wolves
Field of Dreams

I'd add "The Last of the Mohicans" to this list.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:48 PM   #65
Suicane75
Coordinator

I loved and still love Hudson Hawk. And i'm not ashamed to admit it.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 05:13 PM   #66
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:

Saving Private Ryan
Dances With Wolves
Field of Dreams

Dances with Wolves all the way. You can just feel the west in its cinematography and score.

Others i like:
Legends of the Fall
Solaris(Clooney version)
Lord of the Rings
Road to Perdition
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote