Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-06-2005, 08:15 AM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Crossfire host dumped by CNN-Jon Stewart fallout?

Jan. 5, 2005 | New York -- CNN said goodbye to pundit Tucker Carlson on Wednesday, and with him likely the "Crossfire" program that has been the granddaddy of high-volume political debate shows on cable television.

CNN will probably fold "Crossfire" into its other programming, perhaps as an occasional segment on the daytime show "Inside Politics," said Jonathan Klein, who was appointed in late November as chief executive of CNN's U.S. network.

Klein on Wednesday told Carlson, one of the four "Crossfire" hosts, that CNN would not be offering him a new contract. Carlson has been talking with MSNBC about a prime-time opening replacing Deborah Norville.

"I would host any kind of show for (MSNBC chief executive) Rick Kaplan," said Carlson, whose Friday night PBS show "Tucker Carlson: Unfiltered" resumes this week.

He said he enjoyed every minute working for CNN, but that he had told executives last April that he wanted to do something different from "Crossfire."

The bow-tied wearing conservative pundit got into a public tussle last fall with comic Jon Stewart, who has been critical of cable political programs that devolve into shoutfests.

"I guess I come down more firmly in the Jon Stewart camp," Klein told The Associated Press.

He said all of the cable networks, including CNN, have overdosed on programming devoted to arguing over issues. Klein said he wants more substantive programming that is still compelling.

"I doubt that when the president sits down with his advisers they scream at him to bring him up to date on all of the issues," he said. "I don't know why we don't treat the audience with the same respect."

"Crossfire" began in 1982 and was once a mainstay of CNN's prime time. Pat Buchanan from the right and Michael Kinsley from the left were two of its most prominent hosts.

But as Fox News Channel perfected the format with popular hosts Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity, "Crossfire" lost favor among CNN executives and was moved to the afternoons in 2002. It averages 447,000 viewers each weekday, down 21 percent from the previous season, according to Nielsen Media Research. Carlson rotates as host with conservative columnist Bob Novak. Paul Begala and James Carville are the left-leaning ringleaders.

Klein said he hoped Novak, Begala and Carville would continue with meaningful commentator roles at CNN.

Carlson had one failed bid at prime time on CNN with "The Spin Room," which was canceled after less than six months in 2001.

He subbed last week for newscaster Aaron Brown as Klein wanted to see him in a different role before making a decision about his future. Klein said his views on wanting to change the tone of political coverage were separate from the decision to keep Carlson.

"His career aspirations and our programming needs just don't synch up," Klein said. "He wants to host his own nighttime show and we don't see that in the cards here. Out of respect for him and his talent, we thought it would be best to let him explore opportunities elsewhere."

An MSNBC spokesman had no comment on CNN's decision.

"We think Tucker is a great journalist and we're exploring our options for a new 9 p.m. show," said MSNBC's Jeremy Gaines.

SirFozzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 08:23 AM   #2
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
"I guess I come down more firmly in the Jon Stewart camp," Klein told The Associated Press.

That's a really odd quote. Even if it were true, I'm not sure I'd offer that up. I think I'd go with the generic "we're going in a different direction..." sort of thing.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 08:53 AM   #3
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Say bye-bye to the bow tie.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 08:57 AM   #4
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

perhaps CNN would like Jon Stewart to come host a show? Then it wouldn't be that odd of a quote. He's a hot property, and CNN's primetime has no ratings to speak of right now. Might be a good move if they can pull it off.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:57 AM   #5
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
That's a really odd quote. Even if it were true, I'm not sure I'd offer that up. I think I'd go with the generic "we're going in a different direction..." sort of thing.

I believe, although I may be wrong, that that comment is referring more to the decision to can Crossfire than Carlson.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 08:58 AM   #6
Subby
lolzcat

Jon Stewart 1
Partisan Hacks 0
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 09:03 AM   #7
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Partisan Hack on Comedy Central 1
Partisan Hacks on CNN 0

fixed it for ya.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:11 AM   #8
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
fixed it for ya.

sweet
Old 01-06-2005, 09:13 AM   #9
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
fixed it for ya.

Heh...Jon Stewart is no hack, baby
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 01-06-2005, 09:17 AM   #10
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Heh...Jon Stewart is no hack, baby

His book was funny.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:35 AM   #11
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Saving America 1
Hurting America 0
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 09:38 AM   #12
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Isn't this the old "if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around - does it make a sound" cliche? I wasn't even aware that Crossfire was still on the air. I guess all 8 viewers will be in mourning today.

Last edited by Arles : 01-06-2005 at 09:39 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 09:51 AM   #13
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Neckties 1
Bowties 0
Old 01-06-2005, 09:53 AM   #14
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths
Making fun of America 1
Yelling about America 0

fixed that one for you too.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:22 AM   #15
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
I guess all 8 viewers will be in mourning today.

Or 447,000

Old 01-06-2005, 10:40 AM   #16
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:
Or 47,000

Cats and Dogs that happen to walk by the TV when the show is on don't count. Numbers have been adjusted accordingly.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:42 AM   #17
Suicane75
Coordinator

So this dude watched the show 100,000 times a day?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:43 AM   #18
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Tucker Carlson is hot in a "college professor I'd have a crush on" way....
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:43 AM   #19
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Those are some impressive man-boobs. . .
Old 01-06-2005, 10:44 AM   #20
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl

Dude.........I know you're a chick but........Dude.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:48 AM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Having Carlson on CNN is about like having Al Franken on FNC (or at least a poor man's version of him) ... it just ain't gonna work these days.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:55 AM   #22
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:

Yeah I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. Men with less testosterone than I are not hot.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 11:00 AM   #23
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Radii will attest to my strange taste in men from time to time...I can't explain it, but I think he's kind of hot.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 11:00 AM   #24
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Radii will attest to my strange taste in men from time to time...I can't explain it, but I think he's kind of hot.

Dude.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:03 AM   #25
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
fixed that one for you too.
hehe
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 08:11 PM   #26
clintl
College Starter

Quote:

So does this tell us anything about Radii?
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 08:23 PM   #27
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

I wonder if the bow tie spun when he was fired...
Old 01-06-2005, 08:25 PM   #28
SackAttack
Head Coach

Either the answer to that is "yes," or else that's the most unfortunate turn of phrase around here in a long time.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 08:25 PM   #29
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Paging Dangarion...
Old 01-06-2005, 09:33 PM   #30
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Radii is a testament to my strange taste in men from time to time...I can't explain it, but I think he's kind of hot.

Ewww!!!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:04 PM   #31
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

To add something to this, I'm watching The Daily Show right now and Jon Stewart has said that Crossfire will be cancelled and Tucker (Carlson?) will be going to MSNBC..

~tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:14 PM   #32
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
fixed it for ya.

Jon Stewart has more talent than any three partisan hacks I know, liberal or conservative....gotta be a reason he keeps winnning awards for news programs when he's following puppets making crank calls.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:23 PM   #33
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WussGawd
Jon Stewart has more talent than any three partisan hacks I know, liberal or conservative....gotta be a reason he keeps winnning awards for news programs when he's following puppets making crank calls.

wait a sec... i thought Stewart said he doesn't do a news program, he does comedy, and that's why he's NOT a partisan hack.

i'm confused now.

and i never said he wasn't a talented partisan hack, only that he is indeed a partisan hack.

it takes one to know one, you know.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:27 PM   #34
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
wait a sec... i thought Stewart said he doesn't do a news program, he does comedy, and that's why he's NOT a partisan hack.

i'm confused now.

and i never said he wasn't a talented partisan hack, only that he is indeed a partisan hack.

I believe he has said that, and it makes it all the sadder that he's winning the awards for news shows.

Partisan or no though, love his show and think it's one of the funniest on TV. Never really looked at it for deep and meaningul political insight, which I think is his point. He's not marketing it as something it isn't, whereas Crossfire for instance made itself out to be a debate show, which it wasn't..it was barely a show.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:33 PM   #35
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

From http://www.realitytvworld.com/index/....php?s=1000982
I think the best part of the following article is how CNN president Klein said he realized that Stewart was right...
CNN to cancel 'Crossfire' following Tucker Carlson's departure

UPI News Service, 01/06/2005

CNN is planning to cross off "Crossfire," the smash-mouth political slugfest, from its U.S. lineup, the Washington Post reported Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT
The network signaled its decision within hours of conservative co-host Tucker Carlson's announced move to MSNBC. Carlson told CNN last April he wanted out of the high-decibel, low-data broadcast begun 22 years ago.

CNN/U.S. President Jonathan Klein sided Wednesday with comedian Jon Stewart, who used a "Crossfire" appearance last fall to rip the program as so much hackery.

"I think he made a good point about the noise level of these types of shows, which does nothing to illuminate the issues of the day," Klein said. Viewers need useful information in a dangerous world, he said, "and a bunch of guys screaming at each other simply doesn't accomplish that."

Carlson praised the show but said that he felt constrained by its partisan format.

"When my opinions diverged from those of the White House it was difficult" to conduct the expected debate, "particularly when I opposed the Iraq war," he said.
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 04:53 PM   #36
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Quote:

i'm confused now.

People who don't watch Jon Stewarts show on a regular basis think he's some liberal partisan hack. But he's not, he attacks both sides of the political spectrum. Partisan hacks also will spin everything that happens. Stewart doesn't do that even if he's more of a liberal. People who watch his show, liberal or conservative like his show because he isn't a partisan hack. They like it because its funny yet truthful about many of the news stories.
Sharpieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 04:54 PM   #37
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin

Carlson praised the show but said that he felt constrained by its partisan format.

"When my opinions diverged from those of the White House it was difficult" to conduct the expected debate, "particularly when I opposed the Iraq war," he said.
Maybe he has some brain cells after all.
Sharpieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:09 PM   #38
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
Dude.

Quit judging her interpretation of man-hotness. You got some kind of better taste in men, sweetcakes?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 09:37 PM   #39
duckman
Pro Starter

What is CNN?
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:52 AM   #40
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman
People who don't watch Jon Stewarts show on a regular basis think he's some liberal partisan hack. But he's not, he attacks both sides of the political spectrum. Partisan hacks also will spin everything that happens. Stewart doesn't do that even if he's more of a liberal. People who watch his show, liberal or conservative like his show because he isn't a partisan hack. They like it because its funny yet truthful about many of the news stories.

Sorry, Stewart is a liberal, partisan hack. Last time I attempted to watch him, thinking he was a liberal partisan hack, was before the Pres campaign. Stewart first took his usual shot at Bush (how did Bush ever get that big, o'l jet into the air being as stupid as Stewart always claims he is?)

Ok, I thought, now Stewart gets his chance to 'even the scales' with something on Kerry. Stewart then goes on about how 'According to Kerry's critics, Kerry was never even IN Vietnam!" Deadpan look at camera, pause for laughing. See, Stewart attacks Bush with the usual 'he's so stupid' cheap shot, but then instead of giving Kerry his turn Stewart instead actually attacks Kerry's CRITICS!

Just a matter of point-of-view I guess, but if I want funny political jokes I'll just watch Dennis Miller (who at least ADMITS he's sympathetic to conservatives and doesn't try to blow smoke about being 'neutral.") Liberals claiming to be 'neutral' while being complete partisan hacks (Jon Stewart) just reinforce their true hypocrasy to me, but that's a different thread.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:53 AM   #41
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

In other words, give me a conservative joke bringer rather then a neutral/"liberal" one.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:57 AM   #42
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
In other words, give me a conservative joke bringer rather then a neutral/"liberal" one.

No, if Stewart just went ahead and admitted he was what he was, a partisan political hack, I could at least respect his honesty. But apparantly liberals are easy marks for 'smoke blowing', meaning Stewart's audience.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:05 AM   #43
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

There is a local talk radio host/columnist/author that is nationally syndicated. Maybe you've heard of him? Mitch Album. He just had a movie on TV about a book he wrote "The Five People That You Meet In Heaven."

Album always claims that he is 'neutral' and such, but he leads his program off by pretty much ticking off the democratic party's talking points for the day (as issued forth by the NY Times.) One guest he had one called him what he was, a "Trendy Lefty." Love that term! Fits him and most of the Hollywood crowd to a T. But the point is that conservatives always admit their political bias, liberals usually don't (Al Franken is an exception.) Why is that? Do some folks actually believe you can be 'neutral' and 'unbiased?' I don't think that is really possible to begin with.

Last edited by Bubba Wheels : 01-10-2005 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:07 AM   #44
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels
No, if Stewart just went ahead and admitted he was what he was, a partisan political hack, I could at least respect his honesty. But apparantly liberals are easy marks for 'smoke blowing', meaning Stewart's audience.

Well, I guess on the one day you watched it for 5 minutes, he didn't make fun of Kerry...

He made fun of every single candidate during the Democratic primaries and spared nobody. He made fun of John Kerry quite frequently, but he and the writers most likely are democrats. As a person who didn't support Bush, I find a lot to make fun of. As a person person who supports Bush, you obviosuly find a lot in Kerry to make fun of. Increase your sample size...I'm not saying you won't find more Bush jokes than Kerry jokes, but you'll find a lot more democrat jokes than you think.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:08 AM   #45
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I'm a big fan of Stewart from his pre-Daily Show days, and I still think Daily Show is one of the more entertaining shows on TV. That said, I'm not sure how anyone could watch it and realistically argue that it's balanced. The show clearly slants to the left. I don't think it's a reflection on Stewart himself or even on the writers, so much as it's just the reality of knowing your audience. The Daily Shows viewers are typically young and very often are students. That demographic is more likely to respond to anti-Bush jokes, so that's what they get.

I think the quality of the show suffered last year. The combination of the war and the election lead to so much anti-Bush sentiment that the writers didn't have to work very hard to get their laughs. For a while, the jokes all followed the same pattern: 1.) Show Bush quote. 2.) Cut back to Stewart. 3.) Stewart deadpans something along the lines of "The president then added, I'm a poo-poo head". 4.) Hysterical laughter and applause from studio audience. It was just lazy writing. But they seem to be back on track lately -- perhaps re-energized by the Crossfire incident and the success of the (excellent) textbook parody.

Remember, nobody said that a show like the Daily Show had to be fair. The show can still be very, very good and very, very funny with a liberal bias (even if you don't share its politics). But let's not pretend it's balanced, because it's clearly not.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:31 PM   #46
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Paging Dangarion...
You rang?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 01:58 PM   #47
Calis
College Starter

Hmm, I guess I don't see it so much as bias as it is more fun of making fun of those in charge.

Do people actually think if the Democrats were running things he wouldn't be bashing them daily? I don't, but maybe so. Think people like to see those in charge being made fun of, not the "losers". It's a comedy show, and it's being provided plenty of easy material. Can't blame them for using it. I think if the political power in the country swings the other way, so will The Daily Show.

Either way, if it is partisan hackery, it's by far the best version of it around, nothing on the left or right really comes close imo.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:04 PM   #48
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
Quit judging her interpretation of man-hotness. You got some kind of better taste in men, sweetcakes?

Brad Pitt is gorgeous, Dule Hill is smoldering, George Clooney is too cocky for his own good, Colin Ferrel is not half of what he thinks he is, Roger Clemens is alot more attractive than people ever give him credit for.

And before you start in with me, let me point out that i've never had a pair of balls on my forehead, mmmmkay.