Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-12-2005, 02:50 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Mandatory Sentencing Laws No Longer Mandatory..

Buh?

In a major criminal law decision, a closely divided U.S. Supreme Court ruled on Wednesday that federal judges no longer must follow the long-criticized sentencing guidelines in effect since 1987.

The 5-4 ruling was a defeat for the U.S. Justice Department, which had defended as constitutional the federal sentencing guidelines that now apply to more than 60,000 criminal defendants each year.

Thousands of cases nationwide have been on hold awaiting a ruling by the high court. The decision, which makes the guidelines advisory instead of mandatory, was seen as the most important criminal law decision of the court's term.

The court reaffirmed the principle in its ruling in June striking down a similar state law that any facts necessary to support a longer sentence must be admitted by the defendant or proven to the jury. A judge alone cannot decide those facts.

In the court's main opinion, Justice Stephen Breyer said federal judges are no longer required to apply the guidelines, and only can consider them, along with certain other sentencing criteria, in deciding a defendant's punishment.

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:53 PM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

dola: I may be wrong, but hooo boy does this open a can of worms, does this mean EVERY SINGLE CASE since 1987 that fell under mandatory sentencing laws (such as three-strikes rules, etcetera) can be appealed now?
Old 01-12-2005, 02:54 PM   #3
QuikSand
lolzcat

This is a very big deal.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:55 PM   #4
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Yes, it was just a confirmation of a ruling they made last year.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:56 PM   #5
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
dola: I may be wrong, but hooo boy does this open a can of worms, does this mean EVERY SINGLE CASE since 1987 that fell under mandatory sentencing laws (such as three-strikes rules, etcetera) can be appealed now?

Or, asked another way, does albionmoonlight's workload increase by a factor of eleventy-billion over the next couple of years?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:58 PM   #6
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola--

over the next couple of days, decent commentary will be collected here

http://legalaffairs.org/howappealing

I may try to have a post for the board generally after I digest the case, for whatever my opinion is worth.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:59 PM   #7
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie

I'm not sure this would affect three strikes laws, because this applies to Federal Sentencing Guidelines. I do agree though that this is a huge deal for lots and lots of individuals. There are a number of cases that get brought to the public view where a person has been sentenced in Federal court to mandatory 20 to 30 year terms, but if their crime had been filed in State court they would have gotten dramatically lower sub 5 year sentences some including periods of probation.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:12 PM   #8
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

YAY!

As for sentancing that happened since 1987, I don't think they can rechallenge it, because they were sentanced under the law as it was at the time.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:25 PM   #9
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

It's a great ruling for criminals (and bad for citizens) in California, where there are a lot of liberal judges who want to give lenient sentences. It's a very bad ruling for criminals (and good for citizens) in the southern states, where all judges need to have the nickname "maximum" before being appointed to the bench.

It won't affect California's Three Strikes law in any way.

Minimum mandatory sentences under Federal law will not be affected.

Last edited by Grid Iron : 01-12-2005 at 03:28 PM.
Grid Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 06:46 AM   #10
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
YAY!

As for sentancing that happened since 1987, I don't think they can rechallenge it, because they were sentanced under the law as it was at the time.

This isn't a "change of law" but a ruling that the law was unconstitutional. It will affect *every* case falling under these rules since 1987.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote