Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-11-2005, 04:25 PM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

Board Games for Tsunami Relief - and a recommendation

On Wednesday, the Funagain Games site will be donating all profts from game sales to disaster relief efforts. So, if you are inclined to buy board games -- and there really is no beter place to do so than Funagain -- you migth take advantage of their genegosity, and stock up.

And while I'm on the topic - I have a recommendation. Balloon Cup is a nice little 2-player game that is pretty solid in terms of strategy -- not all that difficult to learn and play, but sufficiently complex to keep the game interesting. For under twenty bucks, it's a nice little deal.

And of course, if you don't have some of the "new genre" classics, than i'd certainly recommend Carcassonne or Settlers of Catan, two outstanding games that might expose you to the great leaps and bounds forward that board gaming has made in the last generation. Both of these games are truly excellent -- there have been previous discussions here about both, but both are really wonderful games for the strategy-inclined among us. If you can pull yourself away from the computer for a bit, and settle for rolling dice and sitting at a table - you're likely to love either of these games.

In any event - worthy cause, of course, and an excuse perhaps to plunge on a couple of games that will be well worth the money spent.

Last edited by QuikSand : 01-11-2005 at 08:33 PM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:35 PM   #2
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Man I just wasted two hours looking at all of the board games I don't have. Before I got married I had a crap load of board games. Bought them all the time. Now the latest one I have is Settlers of Catan. ALso a quick search of ebay shows that to replace my game of Titan, I will likely have to pony up $90.

Going to look at buying something tomorrow..Oh yes the Tsunami benefit sale is Wednesday not Tuesday according to their site.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:37 PM   #3
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Where's pop-o-matic trouble?
Old 01-12-2005, 05:37 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

bump
Old 01-12-2005, 05:51 PM   #5
Yossarian
High School Varsity

Just ordered Settlers of Catan....
I'm studying games design just now at uni and they mentioned it a few times.. I'm soooo out of the loop of board games.

Got a game called Frag over the christmas break.. was ok.
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 05:54 PM   #6
DanGarion
Coordinator

Buy Fluxx if you are going to buy something.
http://www.funagain.com/control/prod...duct_id=013915
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 07:58 PM   #7
markprior22
High School Varsity

I bought Carcassonne earlier today. Has consistently outstanding reviews. I am looking for games to play with my 10 yr old son (and other family members) that are challenging but somewhat easy to pick up (rules wise). This game description seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:07 PM   #8
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
On Wednesday, the Funagain Games site will be donating all profts from game sales to disaster relief efforts. So, if you are inclined to buy board games -- and there really is no beter place to do so than Funagain -- you migth take advantage of their genegosity, and stock up.

And while I'm on the topic - I have a recommendation. Balloon Cup is a nice little 2-player game that is pretty solid in terms of strategy -- not all that difficult to learn and play, but sufficiently complex to keep the game interesting. For under twenty bucks, it's a nice little deal.

Hey Quiksand (or anyone else who has played Balloon Cup for that matter)...

I teach 6th grade and am always looking for games that really challenge the kids to think. This looks like it could be a pretty good game for the real quick 6th grader. Do you think it is too complicated? Obviously, I don't expect an expert analysis, just an opinion would do. Thanks! (I would like to try and buy it today for the disaster relief, but no big deal I can contribute in other ways)

Last edited by panerd : 01-12-2005 at 08:06 PM. Reason: I called it Balloon Race instead of Balloon cup
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:26 PM   #9
QuikSand
lolzcat

Sorry if this response is too late for the promotion, but I think Balloon Cup would make a fine game for sixth graders. There is a bit of math and logic involved, but nothing too steep (addition and subtraction). It is, potentially, the type of game where a super-sharp sixth grader might be able to "figure it out" and play with good strategy, while other kids just played by basic concepts -- and the former would have a big advantage. Might be an issue, I suppose.

It does have some advantages -- a game takes only about 30 minutes to play, and it is a better 2-player game (it's for 2 only) than most multi-player games that have a 2-player variant.

Decent thumbs up from me for that purpose. I'll give some thought to other games that might be good for that audience. (Isn't there a junior version of Outburst? That's the first thing that came to mind for me...)
Old 01-12-2005, 10:29 PM   #10
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian
Just ordered Settlers of Catan....
I'm studying games design just now at uni and they mentioned it a few times.. I'm soooo out of the loop of board games.

I you're studying game design, but are not familiar with the newer-generation board games... then Settlers really ought to knock your socks off. It did mine.

I've played a fair bit, and would be up for some discussion about the game if you're interested. The game layout (with tiles that are randomly arranged each time, for a completely different-looking island each new game) is brilliant, in my opinion, and the accumulation and use of the different resources makes for a very clever, but still fairly simple, game.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:45 PM   #11
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yes, fabulous game. Was one of our favorites at my old job, where a small group of us would go and play games at lunch (Setters, Modern Art, Acquire, Honor of the Samurai, Family Business, Cosmic Encounter, Diplomacy, Kill Doctor Lucky ).
Old 01-12-2005, 10:48 PM   #12
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
And of course, if you don't have some of the "new genre" classics, than i'd certainly recommend Carcassonne or Settlers of Catan, two outstanding games that might expose you to the great leaps and bounds forward that board gaming has made in the last generation. Both of these games are truly excellent -- there have been previous discussions here about both, but both are really wonderful games for the strategy-inclined among us.

Agreed and agreed. I actually was into Settlers before I ever came to this board, but picked up Carcassonne on the advice of QuikSand and others. Great game as well. My only problem now is that I never see the people I played these games with. At least there are some online versions of Catan.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 04:31 AM   #13
Yossarian
High School Varsity

Quote:
you're studying game design, but are not familiar with the newer-generation board games

Yup. But I'm workign on it!

Grew up with computer games, did a CS degree worked in web programming (PHP, Java, DB stuff) , realised I really wanted to make games all along - so doing a masters in games tech & design just now.

Its been a real eye opener being exposed to all the different games and theories behind play and gaming (which can differ from play...). I'm trying to immerse myself in pretty much anything and everything to do with play just now but play is more work than I thought!
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 06:38 AM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I ended up buying 5 games in all, 3 board & 2 card:

Card games were:
Milles Borne, the reprint of a classic
Category 5, a hurricane-themed rummy type.

Board games were:
Ticket To Ride, current Game of the Year nominee, a collection & race style based on an Around The World In 80 Days theme, except that it's the U.S. & trains.
A House Divided and 1864:Year of Decision, a pair of counter-and-hex wargames.

The Civil War games are for me, the others are mostly for my son, who is really turning into a board game & card game kinda guy. He likes 'em a lot and that's something we plan to encourage as much as we can.