Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-10-2005, 01:31 PM   #1
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Are you Glad Martin Beat out Alexander for Rushing Title?

I think Alexander is a bit of a prick. However, I love Curtis Martin and his old school style of play and attitude. Hence, I love that Martin won the rushing title, and not Alexander.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 01:39 PM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

Agreed. Alexander is a whiny bastard. Martin is classy.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 01:39 PM   #3
mgadfly
High School Varsity

I think Martin is a bit of prick. However, I love Alexander and his old school style of play and attitude. Hence, I am disappointed that Martin won the rushing title, and Alexander did not.
mgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 01:41 PM   #4
Joe
Pro Starter

alexander is an asshole. he should moon the nfl alongside moss.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 01:41 PM   #5
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Martin was a remarkable grinder this year. Amazing to get that many yards with no big plays really. Just 4 or 5 every time.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:51 PM   #6
mgadfly
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
alexander is an asshole. he should moon the nfl alongside moss.

What has he done to be an asshole? He didn't moon anybody or fake wipe or run over a cop with his car, or shoot/stab anybody.

In fact, his career, much like Martin's, has been full of examples of him taking the extra step in his community, of praising the players around him, of being articulate, respectful, intelligent and well spoken.

He made one poor comment at a moment he was very disappointed. The people still harping on this are the whiny assholes. Get over it, you should have better things to do with your time than worry about who is the nicer guy, Martin or Alexander.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:57 PM   #7
Joe
Pro Starter

I would like to point out that Moss didn't run over anybody in his car. It came out in court that the traffic cop jumped on the hood of his car.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:59 PM   #8
chinaski
College Prospect

one little story about Alexander and all of a sudden he's a prick? He more than apologized already, wtf? You guys know hes a hardcore christian who spends more time volunteering in the community than any other seahawk right?
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:00 PM   #9
chinaski
College Prospect

forgot to mention im glad my favorite Martin won it :P
Old 01-10-2005, 02:05 PM   #10
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

He didn't apologize to his coach or teammates. Said he didn't need to. I thought that was a little off, myself.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:10 PM   #11
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I'm glad that Martin got it. Personally, I'd rather have LaDanian Tomlinson win it though. That dude reminds me a little bit of Barry Sanders (not in his running, but in his off-the-field style).
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:21 PM   #12
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Personally, I'm happy Martin won it, mostly because I've always liked the Jets.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:24 PM   #13
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski
You guys know hes a hardcore christian who spends more time volunteering in the community than any other seahawk right?

Does being a hardcore Christian really make a difference in whether you are a selfish jerk or not? I'm sure there are plenty of assholes out there who are also Christian.

Sorry. It just annoys me any time someone tries to equate being religious with being a good person.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:27 PM   #14
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

I was kind of hoping Troy Hambrick would win it myself.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:29 PM   #15
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
Does being a hardcore Christian really make a difference in whether you are a selfish jerk or not? I'm sure there are plenty of assholes out there who are also Christian.

Sorry. It just annoys me any time someone tries to equate being religious with being a good person.

I'll second this- I dont see any correlation at all between the 2. And I say this as someone who thinks Alexander's incident was overblown.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:29 PM   #16
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Ologist
I was kind of hoping Troy Hambrick would win it myself.

He was right there until after Week 1.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:31 PM   #17
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:

Oh damn no, I just was pissed at what GW. Bush said, so figured the Christain comment was applicable. I in no way give anyone who says theyre a religious person the benefit of the doubt. I just know what a good guy Alexander really is off the field and dont like people talking trash about him when hes probably one of the most charitable guys in the NFL.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:40 PM   #18
Joe
Pro Starter

sorry, I'm still bitter about his 5 TD half against the Vikings a few years back.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:47 PM   #19
mgadfly
High School Varsity

Quote:

I'll disagree here. I think it does mean something. Not anything more than being hardcore humanitarian or hardcore [fill in the blank with charitable/religious/any type of giving organization... But it does mean something.

I think Christian in context with the sentence refers to his motivation and execution of charitable giving. Being hardcore about it speaks to his committment.

I think the problem is that people read it and think their is an implied meaning that the "Christian" part is better than someother well-meaning belief system. Sometimes I'm sure that is the intent of the speaker, but just because that might be part of the message (and is false) doesn't mean that being hardcore Christian isn't evidence of some sort of a persons make-up.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:47 PM   #20
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
sorry, I'm still bitter about his 5 TD half against the Vikings a few years back.

He was on my fantasy team back then, so it's a fond memory for me.

If he's very charitable, that would certainly hurt the argument that he's a selfish jerk. The Christian thing is just a pet peeve of mine. "Oh sure, he beats his wife and children every day, but he never misses a Sunday at church, so he must be a good guy." (Nothing like exaggerating to get a point across.)
Old 01-10-2005, 02:51 PM   #21
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgadfly
I'll disagree here. I think it does mean something. Not anything more than being hardcore humanitarian or hardcore [fill in the blank with charitable/religious/any type of giving organization... But it does mean something.

I think Christian in context with the sentence refers to his motivation and execution of charitable giving. Being hardcore about it speaks to his committment.

I think the problem is that people read it and think their is an implied meaning that the "Christian" part is better than someother well-meaning belief system. Sometimes I'm sure that is the intent of the speaker, but just because that might be part of the message (and is false) doesn't mean that being hardcore Christian isn't evidence of some sort of a persons make-up.

And I would argue that hardcore could speak to a lot other things. Look, simply put I think religion doesnt make the man good or bad. I understand the implication, but am somewhat bothered by it, that's all.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:02 PM   #22
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Martin is classy.

Word. The most underrated player of all time. And I'm not even a Jets fan.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:05 PM   #23
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgadfly
I think Martin is a bit of prick.

Seriously, what has he ever done or said to give you this impression?
Old 01-10-2005, 03:18 PM   #24
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I haven't seen anything to ever think Martin is a prick. He has ALWAYS seemed like a classy stand-up guy. Alexander has generally appeared to be decent as well, and these stupid comments are the first bad thing that I can think of him doing publicly. That being said, those comments make me think that he is a me-first type of guy, and therefore I'm glad to see Martin win the rushing title.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:24 PM   #25
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I like Martin and was happy to see him win. But I have no problem with Alexander, and it wouldn't have bothered me to see him take the title either.

Quote:
He was on my fantasy team back then, so it's a fond memory for me.
I was the only person in the world who had Alexander on his fantasy team and still lost that week.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:59 PM   #26
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
And I would argue that hardcore could speak to a lot other things. Look, simply put I think religion doesnt make the man good or bad. I understand the implication, but am somewhat bothered by it, that's all.

I agree. Religion doesn't make a person good or bad. Look at the Catholic priest scandal. They are the representation of the church, but they aren't acting better then everyone else. You don't have to be a Christian, Jewish, Hindu or whatever your beliefs maybe, to be a generous person, or an assest to society.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 05:01 PM   #27
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Anways, back to the topic:

I think Alexander and Martin are two good backs. Alexander made some dumb comments, but don't we all? Was their anything at stake for Alexander, such as contract incentives, a contract year, or whatever?
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:24 PM   #28
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I don't really care how classy athletes are, so no, I'm not particularly glad that Curtis Martin won. It doesn't bother me. I just don't really give a damn.