Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-06-2005, 04:01 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

In Texas, Killing wife=4 Months, Wounding her boyfriend=15 years?

Somehow, I'm not surprised it comes from Texas.

Obviously, if he had been a better shot, he would have gotten 4 months for the boyfriend too. That's Texas's version of Gun Control, right?

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -- A man sentenced to just four months in prison for killing his wife, after a jury concluded he acted in a blind fury, drew a 15-year term for wounding her boyfriend.

Jimmy Dean Watkins pleaded guilty Wednesday to attempted murder for shooting Keith Fontenot on December 22, 1998. Watkins' estranged wife, Nancy, was killed with multiple gunshots as she tried to dial 911 during the attack.

The jury at his 1999 trial found Watkins guilty of murdering his wife but decided he acted with "sudden passion" when he discovered her with Fontenot.

In a decision that provoked an outcry, the jury recommended 10 years' probation. Because of the jury's recommendation, the most the judge could have given Watkins was six months behind bars. He sentenced Watkins to four months.

Another wrinkle was added to the case in 2003, when two defense witnesses who gave key testimony pleaded guilty to perjury. They had claimed that Nancy Watkins and Fontenot had taunted Watkins in the hours before the shooting.

Watkins had admitted the attack but claimed temporary insanity. Texas defines "sudden passion" as being so overcome by rage, resentment or fear that the defendant is "incapable of cool reflection." Jurors said they recommended probation because they didn't think Watkins could be rehabilitated in prison.

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 04:03 PM   #2
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Somehow, I'm not surprised it comes from Texas.

Obviously, if he had been a better shot, he would have gotten 4 months for the boyfriend too. That's Texas's version of Gun Control, right?

Last edited by sachmo71 : 01-06-2005 at 04:04 PM.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 06:36 PM   #3
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Texas at its finest..
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 06:47 PM   #4
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Old 01-06-2005, 07:38 PM   #5
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Jimmy Dean Watkins pleaded guilty

God, I hope that's not the guy who makes the sausages....
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 07:53 PM   #6
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Don't mess with TEXAS, Don't do it!!!
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 08:13 PM   #7
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Makes sense to me. The 4 months sentence came from a jury. You know, the kind that let OJ go free. Based on the outcry over that and the 2 defense witnesses who were found to have committed perjury, the prosecution was suddenly in a position to go for the maximum for attempted murder on the boyfriend. So, he pleaded guilty and accepted a greater sentence on the shooting of the boyfriend, since the prosecution had the upper hand.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 03:22 AM   #8
Icy
Pro Starter

Talking about laws, tomorrow in Spain one of the worst ETA terrorists is going out of jail after 18 years.... he was punished to stad in jail for 3000 years because he killed 20 persons in 11 terrorist attacks (bombing, shooting, etc) during his terrorist days until he was cought....but he had "SOME" years discounted by his good behavior at prison... Looks that he couldn't find any way to put bombs into the prison so he is a good guy now...

Here is the link to the news, it's in Spanish sorry.
hxxp://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2005/01/06/espana/1105010108.html

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 05:16 AM   #9
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

$500 bucks says the wife was a sooner
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote