Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-06-2005, 12:00 PM   #1
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

OT: Maybe somebody here knows ...

This is so dumb, but I can't think of the name and it's going to bother me for the rest of my life if I don't figure this out. Back in the day there was this cartoon chracter, a lot like a young Frank Sinatra or maybe even Dean Martin. Really thin body and a huge head and when the girls would see him he'd faint blah blah, does ANYBODY remember this cartoon character, and if they do what was his name? He used to kinda "co-star" in cartoons with Bugs Bunny and the like, if that helps any. /sigh.

LionsFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:03 PM   #2
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFan10
This is so dumb, but I can't think of the name and it's going to bother me for the rest of my life if I don't figure this out. Back in the day there was this cartoon chracter, a lot like a young Frank Sinatra or maybe even Dean Martin. Really thin body and a huge head and when the girls would see him he'd faint blah blah, does ANYBODY remember this cartoon character, and if they do what was his name? He used to kinda "co-star" in cartoons with Bugs Bunny and the like, if that helps any. /sigh.

His name was Joey Harrington. And it was when he'd see a blitz he would throw the ball to the other team rather than take a hit like a real QB.

(If you had sait that he was really big and fat he would have been Scott Mitchell)
Old 01-06-2005, 12:05 PM   #3
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I know who you're talking about, but I can't think of the name either.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:07 PM   #4
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn&TheLions
His name was Joey Harrington. And it was when he'd see a blitz he would throw the ball to the other team rather than take a hit like a real QB.

(If you had sait that he was really big and fat he would have been Scott Mitchell)

Oh yeah, I thought someone here would figure it out.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:12 PM   #5
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

I think that was supposed to be Bing Crosby.
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 01:56 PM   #6
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

His name was 'Frankie' and he was based on Sinatra. The Bing Crosby character appeared in a few cartoons, as well, but was never identified by name.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 02:04 PM   #7
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I had an image in mind but it wasn't a crooner but a mob guy. Wore a yellow hat with yellow suit or something like that. I recall him chasing after Daffy Duck.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 02:06 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Bucc -- you're thinking of the Edward G. Robinson character.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:11 PM   #9
Buccaneer
Head Coach

That would be it but I was thinking his name was Frankie as well.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:32 PM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Here's a screen cap of Bugs & E.G. Robinson (episode also had Peter Lorre)
http://www.jenn98.com/bugs/1946-5.html

I can't find an image, but another mob-inspired bit was Bogart, tried to get an order of rabbit for Lauren "Baby" Bacall from waiter Elmer Fudd. He might have been wearing yellow in that one from 1947, called Slick Hare.

Perhaps the best known mobsters in the old WB cartoons were Rocky & Mugsy, who appeared several times in the 50's. And there is a Daffy Duck installment called Golden Yeggs where the mobster kidnaps D.D. thinking he's the duck who is laying golden eggs. I didn't find a screen cap from it, but here's a page in French that has images of Rocky, Mugsy, and even Baby-Face Finster.
http://telemaniac.free.fr/lesgansters.htm

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-06-2005 at 02:32 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 02:50 PM   #11
Buccaneer
Head Coach

That's the one...Rocky. Can you find one of Frankie that LionsFan was thinking of?
Old 01-06-2005, 07:29 PM   #12
Runtheball
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
His name was 'Frankie' and he was based on Sinatra. The Bing Crosby character appeared in a few cartoons, as well, but was never identified by name.

That's it! Bugs had alot of popular stars doing cameos on his show (though they probably weren't aware of it at the time). I remember the one you're describing, and I'm sure it was supposed to be a young, slim version of Frank Sinatra. If Bugs referred to him as "Frankie" then, well, there you have it.
Beware the beast "Man", for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates he kills for sport, or lust, or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
-- The Lawgiver
Runtheball is offline   Reply With Quote