Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-05-2005, 11:38 PM   #1
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Carnivale (HBO) - anyone watching?

Having been stricken with the flu for most of the last week or so, I'm watching the entire first season (it's on ON DEMAND for us here). I know the second season premieres Sunday.

Anyone else into this show? I find it interesting, and they seem to drag out the major backstory as slowly as they can without losing my interest.

Not quite Deadwood or Six Feet Under (in it's prime, I think the show jumped the shark in mid-season 3), but it's entertaining enough for me to watch it when I feel like.

cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 11:51 PM   #2
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

I'd give my left nut to have HBO. I don't even have cable.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:52 AM   #3
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

It DOES drag the backstory like a bitch. But I'm still watching... I find the topic of a good/evil force around us to be quite fascinating indeed.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 02:01 AM   #4
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos
It DOES drag the backstory like a bitch. But I'm still watching... I find the topic of a good/evil force around us to be quite fascinating indeed.

Yeah, like i said. They give you just enough to keep you watching, while doing it slowly enough that season 2 will probably be more fulfilling than season 1. I've watched 10 of the 12 Season 1 episodes and I still feel like I'm largely in the dark about the backstory (or 'the real story' perhaps).

**minor spoilers***

And I don't really recall watching a show that has had two major storylines that have gone this long without truly intersecting. Right now you have the preacher and his story and the kid & the carnival. Obviously they're destined to collide, given their mysertious, unexplained connection.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 07:26 AM   #5
spleen1015
Coordinator

I have been watching it on HBO On-Demand as well. I watch episode 8 last night. I've wanted to watch the next episode after each one. You're right about the slowness. They alluded to who Scudder was then finally hit you in the face with it at the beginning of episode 9, I believe. I watched half of 9 last night before going to bed.

I will definitely finish this up before the Sunday premeire. Most of HBO's show are well done. I'm a fan of Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, and this one. They have one called Rome starting up this year. I'm not sure what it is about. I only saw brief scene during one of their promos.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:42 AM   #6
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

There are two prophets there is a kid "good", and there is a preacher "evil". Lots of weird stuff happens. There you are caught up on the understandable parts of Carnivale Season one. There's really no point in watching it now, as afterwards you probably won't know very much more than what I've laid out for you.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote