Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-17-2004, 06:47 PM   #1
Easy Mac

The Year That Was: Music

Personally, I thought the year in music started off pretty slow, but really took off during the summer. I like how we got back more towards 80's music in rock. The Killer's CD may be one of the better CD's I've heard the past few years. Franz Ferdinand was one of the more fun CD's I've listened to in a while. If this is the direction rock is going for the next 2-3 years, it will be a good time.

There also seem to be a lot of really good songs on the radio in the last month, Citizen Cope with Bullet and a Target, and the Killers have released a string of songs. Jimmy Eat World has really impressed me, since I've really only liked Sweetness before. I'm stoked about the 3 Doors Down CD coming soon, as their new song (while like all their others) is very good. I'm psyched to see the Zutons when they come to Chuck in January.

This was also the year I returned to buying CD's, mainly because I didn't have a high speed connection anymore. I'd say I've been very happy with almost all of my purchases: Modest Mouse, Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, Dogs Die in Hot Cars. The one I didn't like was Sparta's Porcelain. It was just a huge disappointment. It started off really well with Memorial Park, but just went down hill fast. I expected better after a solid debut, but it looks like The Mars Volta may have gotten the true talent.

There also seemed to be a resurgence in women's rock. Portions for Foxes is a very good song, and the local rock station has been playing a lot of Tegan and Sarah, a very good female group.

There were also good music put out by bands that have been around for more than a year. Jimmy Eat World has released some good songs off thier new CD, and aside from American Idiot, Green Day seems to have a solid CD. My dislike for U2 has grown, because if I hear Vertigo one more time I may kill someone.

I think I'm just finally glad to have a good rock station to listen to, now I don't have to hear shitty Metalica and their ilk every song like I did in G-Vegas.

As for rap, I thought it peaked around June or July and just devolved from there. The only stand out song for me was Snoop's Drop it Like Its Hot, and thats only because of the little video game hook in it (was that like double dribble or something?) It seemed the year ended with boring "lets get crunked" songs, and nothing new was offered. Maybe its just me, but I'm ready for the LIl' Jon era to be over as soon as possible.

I don't listen to country, so I can't comment on that.

But what are you're thoughts on the year that was music?

(P.S., I'm thinking about starting a similar thread for movies and games, and maybe trends or culture... but I am really just interested to see what I may have missed out on that other people could tell me about.)

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 06:54 PM   #2
Easy Mac

Well...

A) How old are you
and
B) You're in Galesburg... there's nothing there... get out!!! There is a good donut shop (starts with an "S" I think)... I miss that town
Old 12-17-2004, 06:55 PM   #3
Easy Mac

whoops, I forgot to say that the year in pop music sucked ass

Any year when Hillary Duff and Ashlee Simpson can have #1 albums has to be considered the worst year in pop music ever. Period.

damn misordered posts.

Last edited by Easy Mac : 12-17-2004 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:55 PM   #4
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I read this. 3 Doors Down, Green Day, and U2 comprise of the 3 bands I have heard of. Every other description had me staring blankly, as I've never heard of ANY of em.

I must be getting old.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 06:57 PM   #5
Joe
Pro Starter

a year that started off with nipplegate can't be all that bad
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 07:03 PM   #6
mckerney
Coordinator

Sparkle In The Finish by The Ike Reilly Assasination was a great album. More of the same great rock that was found on Ike Reilly's previous release, Salesmen and Racists, and probably the best album of the year. Indian Summer by Carbon Leaf also a fantastic album, and Futures was another solid release by Jimmy Eat World. I also really liked Hot Fuss by The Killers.

EDIT: Taking Back Sundays album Where You Want To Be also deserves mention, as long as Reese Roper's first post Five Iron release with his new group Roper.

Last edited by mckerney : 12-17-2004 at 07:07 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 07:05 PM   #7
DeToxRox
Head Coach

CD of the year: "Miss Machine" by the Dillinger Escape Plan

The technichal aspects of this CD are the best I've heard in I can't even tell you how long. This CD has blown my skull.

Other great CDs in no particular order..

Bars - Introducing

Punk rock/hardcore/rock from Mass. A really fun listen. It's very stripped down and in your face. Bonus points for seeing them live and having an awesome stage presence. They have the rock n' roll vibe.

Unearth - The Oncoming Storm

Another band from Mass (Hardcore mecca) that has exploded thanks to its stint on the Ozzfest, these guys rule. Metal meets hardcore with some of the best breakdowns you will ever hear. They have amazing guitars, and wicked drums. Hell, I just said wicked, Mass is totally rubbing off on me. Anyways, these guys are just awesome.

Where Eagles Dare - To Come From Nowhere

Arizona band that has a lot going on. They have a really unique blend of influences that make them a great hardcore band. No one probably knows these bands, but think Converge meets the Hope Conspiracy meets Bane. And of course, to tie that together, those three bands, all from Mass. But yeah, Where Eagles Dare, amazing band.

Those are the big ones for me. Not that anyone cares, but what the hell.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 07:06 PM   #8
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney
Sparkle In The Finish by The Ike Reilly Assasination was a great album. More of the same great rock that was found on Ike Reilly's previous release, Salesmen and Racists, and probably the best album of the year. Indian Summer by Carbon Leaf also a fantastic album, and Futures was another solid release by Jimmy Eat World. I also really liked Hot Fuss by The Killers.

I know you like Dropkick, so I must ask. Have you heard the Ducky Boys, and if so, are you a fan?
Old 12-17-2004, 07:22 PM   #9
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

An very good year for rock I think. Impressive debuts from Franz, The Killers, The Futureheads, Razorlight, Bloc Party and some others. Great new releases from Kings of Leon, The Libs, The Cure, Snow Patrol and a couple that I'm probably forgetting at the moment. EDIT: Forgot 80's Matchbox's great new album.

I'm not much into hip-hop/rap, but a second truly excellent album from The Streets and another solid one from The Roots caught my attention. Dizzie Rascal's follow up was also good, but somehow lacked the edge and bite of his debut. Jay-Z's new material was poor to be honest (apart from 99 Problems) and the new Eminem album is not very good at all.

Last edited by tanglewood : 12-17-2004 at 07:24 PM.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 09:06 PM   #10
Suicane75
Coordinator

Stuff I heard on MTV or the radio that I like, Modest Mouse and that Songs About Jane Band, other than that I couldnt name you 3 other "mainstream" things i heard or liked.

Albums i super dug this year,
Sarah Harmer- All Of Our Names
Wilco- A Ghost Is Born
Paul Westerberg- Folker
Bob Schneider - I'm Good Now
Steve Forbert - Just Like There's Nothing To It
Brian Wilson- Smile
Bottlerockets - Man of Constant Anxiety
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 05:08 PM   #11
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Easy Mac made a decent writeup, I thought, but I'll just throw in my two cents.

At times, this was an exciting year if you share my taste in music. Here are my picks:

The Killers-Hot Fuss: I was truly expecting "Somebody Told Me" and about 10 tracks of filler. After I finished the first song, entitled "Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine", my tune was ready to change. Sure, the lyrics aren't exactly coherent, but it's a fun record to listen to. I almost consider it a guilty pleasure. Best Song: "All These Things That I've Done"

The Faint-Wet From Birth: Five years ago, nobody would ever admit to listening to a band like The Faint, with it's sound ripped directly from synth-crazy 1982. Now, they actually have a *gasp* single, complete with a *even bigger gasp* music video. If you can't have a good time listening to this album, then you are a soulless bastard. Best Track: "Phone Call"

Muse-Absolution: Okay, maybe my view is slightly askew after the show-stealing performance I saw at Coachella, but these guys fucking rock. To get an idea of what they sound like, think of Radiohead circa The Bends. You will listen to the record and think "They must be using studio tricks...three dudes can't make a big sound like that...that guy can't sing this well live". Well, that is complete rubbish. These guys arer better live than they are on the record. Best Songs: Time Is Running Out, Stockholm Syndrome

The Good Life-Album Of The Year: The frontman (Tim Kasher) is better known as the singer for the indie/hardcore band Cursive. The Good Life, his side project, has a much mellower dynamic, yet the topics of the songs remain the same: Tim's messy relationships. The lyrics are so personal that they make you feel like an involuntary voyeur, looking in at the most troubled moments of someones life. The record opens up with the words, "The first time that I met her I was throwing up in the ladies room stall". Now, let me clarify: This is not the type of whining that you get from, say, Dashboard Confessional. Just saying Best tracks: "Album Of The Year", "Notes In His Pockets"

Worst things about music this year:

Clear Channel- Any radio station owned by Clear Channel is guaranteed to suck. Case in point: In the SF Bay Area, there are two alternative rock stations. Channel 104.9, which is owned by Clear Channel, and Live 105.3, which is owned by Infinity Broacasting. 104.9 plays Maroon 5, Matchbox 20, Dave Matthews, etc.. I'm not at Starbucks, so I don't want to hear coffeehouse rock on a modern rock station. Live 105 is completely in step with what the future holds for modern rock. Clear Channel doesn't care about anything but making money, so I am punished by having to hear the same songs for 6 months at a time.

U2-Why do they feel the need to overexpose themselves? I might actually like them if I didn't hear the song at work, in the car on the way home, and then on commercials during a basketball game. I have a feeling that when they release their next album, it's going to come with some sort of microchip that you can implant in your skull, so that you can hear U2 24 hours a day.

More later. Need beef stew
Old 12-18-2004, 05:20 PM   #12
Bomber
High School Varsity

If anyone is interested, here is the Top 25 albums of the year, as voted on by the members of another board I frequent:

http://www.bridgetop25.tk/
Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 05:23 PM   #13
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Tegan and Sara - So Jealous is easily one of my top 3 albums this year. Good to hear they're getting airplay somewhere.

the others:
Phoenix - Alphabetical
Le Tigre - This Island
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 05:27 PM   #14
Suicane75
Coordinator

Not a bad list. I think the Strokes are the real deal, but Ryan Adams.......man, ive been appologist for him for awhile but I really do think he would be best served to stop releasing an album every 2 weeks, he still shows flashes of brilliance but it's so dilluted at this point. I can't believe I didnt mention Outkast in my list, its a great album and the Norah Jones duet is just a great song.

Ive heard the Decemberist album and I just don't get it, not my bag.

I liked Summer Sun but nearly as much as And Then Nothing....

My GF loves Beulah but i've never been that enthralled by them.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:30 PM   #15
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Oh and is anyone else's sig. other's musical choices completely opposite of your own? My girl likes Clay Aiken, Toby Keith, and Matchbox 20... she says I listen to weird music.

That my friend, is how ya know it's love. She puts on Clay Aiken and you dont throw her out a window.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:32 PM   #16
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter
The Killers-Hot Fuss: I was truly expecting "Somebody Told Me" and about 10 tracks of filler. After I finished the first song, entitled "Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine", my tune was ready to change. Sure, the lyrics aren't exactly coherent, but it's a fun record to listen to. I almost consider it a guilty pleasure. Best Song: "All These Things That I've Done"

When I heard "Somebody Told Me" on the radio, I expected the group to completely suck. It was a catchy song, but so is "Vertigo", but that doesn't stop them from being annoying. Then I heard "All These Things That I've Done" and I was willing to give them a pass. Then "Mr. Brightside" came on the radio, and I had to pick it up. Love the CD though.

Oh and is anyone else's sig. other's musical choices completely opposite of your own? My girl likes Clay Aiken, Toby Keith, and Matchbox 20... she says I listen to weird music.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:35 PM   #17
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter

U2-Why do they feel the need to overexpose themselves? I might actually like them if I didn't hear the song at work, in the car on the way home, and then on commercials during a basketball game. I have a feeling that when they release their next album, it's going to come with some sort of microchip that you can implant in your skull, so that you can hear U2 24 hours a day.

More later. Need beef stew

dolaquote
They already did that... its called the U2 Ipod.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:35 PM   #18
DeToxRox
Head Coach

music from franz ferdinand and the killers all seems the same to me. funny i know from someone who listens to hardcore, but this new wave of rock seems to be the newest fad. just one mans thoughts anyways.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:36 PM   #19
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
That my friend, is how ya know it's love. She puts on Clay Aiken and you dont throw her out a window.

I won't let her play the Clayken CD... I sat through the Christmas special, thats penance enough.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:37 PM   #20
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Seven Wiser, a band from Wind-Up Records, had songs in the Punisher and MVP Baseball 2004. They came out with their self-titled album and were subsequently released from Wind-Up Records. Their music is great.

The Trans-Siberian Orchestra completed their trilogy with The Lost Christmas Eve. A great album and a great finish. Any Savatage fan should buy this.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 05:46 PM   #21
DeToxRox
Head Coach

2004 was a decent year for music in general.

I don't know much about the pop music of 2004 because I don't listen to the radio. The songs I've heard that seem to be in rotation I am not a big fan of, and the rock bands I've heard aren't very special either. It seems like it just all bleeds together for me.

I am not trying to sound like some music elitist, I'm just being honest. Radio has too many restrictions. Songs need to be 3 minutes, they have to fit way too much criteria. It's why I am glad I broke down and got an I-Pod and put all my CD's on it. I just can't stand to hear the radio nowadays for any significant length of time without getting peeved. I am sure some feel the same way and I am sure many don't. I respect all your opinions, and I just hope you respect mine.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:51 PM   #22
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
I know you like Dropkick, so I must ask. Have you heard the Ducky Boys, and if so, are you a fan?

I am a huge Ducky Boys fan and their new album, "Three Chords and the Truth" is simply amazing. I've seen them something like 8 or 9 times this past year and they always put on a great show, including the time they played a free basement show for like 40 kids and a keg of beer.

As for some of my favorite 2004 albums

Green Day "American Idiot"
Social Distortion "Sex, Love, and Rock and Roll"
Flogging Molly "Within A Mile of Home"
Ducky Boys "Three Chords, and the Truth"

i'm sure there are a few more that are slipping my mind, but these are the 4 that really stand out
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 05:55 PM   #23
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Bars - Introducing

Punk rock/hardcore/rock from Mass. A really fun listen. It's very stripped down and in your face. Bonus points for seeing them live and having an awesome stage presence. They have the rock n' roll vibe.

the Bars do put on a great show. haven't picked up the album yet, but it's on my shortlist.

Couple of other Boston area bands that made me stand up and take notice this year

The Pug Uglies
The Marvels
Avoid One Thing
The Blue Bloods
Far From Finished
Old 12-18-2004, 05:57 PM   #24
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeny
I am a huge Ducky Boys fan and their new album, "Three Chords and the Truth" is simply amazing. I've seen them something like 8 or 9 times this past year and they always put on a great show, including the time they played a free basement show for like 40 kids and a keg of beer.

As for some of my favorite 2004 albums

Green Day "American Idiot"
Social Distortion "Sex, Love, and Rock and Roll"
Flogging Molly "Within A Mile of Home"
Ducky Boys "Three Chords, and the Truth"

i'm sure there are a few more that are slipping my mind, but these are the 4 that really stand out

Yes The Ducky Boys are outstanding. It's funny that their lead singer and Blood for Bloods singer are brothers. Their lyrical content is the same, though the degrees of harshness differ, but the musical styles are a lot different. I am a huge B4B fan too though.

So my next question is have you seen BFB live?

Followed up with, does FSU show up at a lot of shows you go to?
Old 12-18-2004, 05:58 PM   #25
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Yes The Ducky Boys are outstanding. It's funny that their lead singer and Blood for Bloods singer are brothers. Their lyrical content is the same, though the degrees of harshness differ, but the musical styles are a lot different. I am a huge B4B fan too though.

So my next question is have you seen BFB live?

Followed up with, does FSU show up at a lot of shows you go to?

Not really a big Blood for Blood fan. I am however a big fan of Rob Lind's work with Sinners and Saints (which also involves his brother, Mark Lind of the Ducky Boys).

I have never had a real problem with FSU. From what i've heard the seem like a bunch of assholes who go to shows and fuck people up. I'm not into the Boston hardcore scene and thankfully they don't seem to care about the Punk/Rock and Roll scene at all.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:11 PM   #26
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeny
Not really a big Blood for Blood fan. I am however a big fan of Rob Lind's work with Sinners and Saints (which also involves his brother, Mark Lind of the Ducky Boys).

I have never had a real problem with FSU. From what i've heard the seem like a bunch of assholes who go to shows and fuck people up. I'm not into the Boston hardcore scene and thankfully they don't seem to care about the Punk/Rock and Roll scene at all.

Sinners and Saints, very nice. Yeah, I heard FSU sometimes goes to Ducky Boys shows because Rob is a member, but I didn't think they went to all of them.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:17 PM   #27
samifan24
Pro Starter

I don't ever listen to Kelis or anything like her, but I was flipping channels and stopped on Chris Rock's show on HBO last night. Kelis performed her single "Caught Out There," which features an inspiring chorus of "I hate you so much right now." It has to be one of the worst things I've ever heard in my life. I even went to her website tonight to confirm that it was indeed a real song and not some sort of joke.

edit- I neglected to mention that she screams the chorus every time it comes up. She sings before and after, but just screams the chorus. Has anyone else had the extreme misfortune of listening to this crap?

Last edited by samifan24 : 12-18-2004 at 06:19 PM.
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 06:52 PM   #28
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I really like what I have heard of The Killers, Frans Ferdinan, and Modest Mouse. The new Gwen Staphani grew on me after a couple of hearings and the new Duran Duran CD is first rate (saw them in concert at the begining of the month. Great Show). I also really like what Maroon 5 has done this year.

All in all it was a very good you for music.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote