Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-07-2004, 05:29 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

E-voting glitches...

I guess this type of stuff is to be expected?

I'm sure it didn't happen anywhere else in the entire country that used e-voting. In fact, it probably ended up giving Kerry more votes than he should've got, making the President's victory even more decisive.

I wish those non-Bush supporters would just shut up already and realize that the election is over. This story was uncovered by folks from Democratic Underground.com site and picked up by the national media..sorta.

Sour grapes, that's all it is.

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 05:38 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The election IS over. Hell, so is this story, it's been around for several days already.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:43 PM   #3
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Actually, these kinds of errors can have a large effect on smaller races. In NC, a couple of county commissioner type races are up in the air because the machines in those districts malfunctioned (or, to be more accurate--the process malfunctioned). Neither you nor I care who the registar of deeds is in Pissant County, but I see no reason why we should mock attempts to try to give everyone a fair chance at honest elections.

I think that it is good to use the lessons from 2004 to try to fix the process for future elections--when electronic machines will be in even more use. I believe that working to make the process more accurate both increases public faith in elections and prevents potentially harmful problems from arising.

You, however, state that these errors show that President Bush's election was probably more decisive than it appears and used a rolleyes in your post, so I bow before your superior debating skills.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 05:45 PM   #4
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Doesn't matter, the guy I voted for came in 4th. I'm not angry and have no plans to kill myself at WTC. I just think that the possibilty of fraud is something no one wants to consider. And it's interesting to me, that's all.

I don't care what the result is, who goes down for it or whatever. I just think that - at minimum - we need a real paper trail, or else, these elections are just a boondoggle and waste of time. They make for good TV, but little else..if they're not actually recording what the people want.

Not to say that people wouldn't want more Bush, obviously millions do. Just saying...
Old 11-07-2004, 05:47 PM   #5
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight

You, however, state that these errors show that President Bush's election was probably more decisive than it appears and used a rolleyes in your post, so I bow before your superior debating skills.

I was just being cynical because I found it on a democrat website. Between their crying and the GOP gloating, I'm tired of everyone and just want the truth.

You're right this affects smaller races significantly. Out here in Wyoming, they had a pencil and paper ballot and in this small town with less than 2,000 people, they got the mayoral results wrong. Seems the Clerk wrote the results backwards. The one candidate that should've won, found out two days after she discovered the error.

That has nothing to do with this. But I thought that if those kinds of things still happen (honest mistake and all) you can imagine the types of issues that happen with e-voting and that we ought to stamp out.

Oops, my bad.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 11-07-2004 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:51 PM   #6
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Cool. This election has made everyone a bit snappish. I really should not have called you out like that.

Back to the point--they really should not allow machines that do not leave a paper trail--even if it is just to increase public confidence in the outcome. E-voting will become more and more popular, and it would be a shame if the fate of the free world was thrown into confusion because some guy with a magnetic keychain walked too close to a voting machine in Miami.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 05:55 PM   #7
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
Cool. This election has made everyone a bit snappish. I really should not have called you out like that.

No harm, no foul.. and hey, think of the posts I'm adding to my count. I'm a month behind though I'll never have as many as commensurate with when I joined.

I'll just say its about quality.. riight.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:19 PM   #8
Dutch
"Dutch"

move on dot org

Last edited by Dutch : 11-07-2004 at 06:19 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote