Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-29-2004, 07:19 PM   #1
mattwakeman
Mascot

50 cent bottled off stage at Reading festival

Not that I wish to either condone it or to propagate the image of Brits as being a bunch of bottle weilding thugs, but it is hard to imagine this happening to a more deserving guy. Maybe the crowd didn't like him because he came from New York.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...208620,00.html

or:

STARS BOOED OFF BY FANS
Finnish band The Rasmus and rap megastar 50 Cent were were both forced to leave the Reading Festival stage early after being booed and pelted with missiles by music fans.

The Rasmus had scarcely begun their set when the crowd started throwing missiles at them.

And 50 Cent was booed by the crowd before he even stepped onstage.

Despite winning a clutch of Finnish Grammy awards, The Rasmus came unstuck in front of the mud-caked British audience and left after little more than one song.

One festival-goer said: "It was just kids chucking bottles and a bit of mud at them, it does sometimes happen.

"But obviously the crowd here today weren't really their crowd."

Boston group Dropkick Murphys then braved the main stage shortly afterwards to an ecstatic reception.

Mercury Music Prize nominee The Streets appeared on stage later. The 25-year-old Birmingham rapper topped the charts this summer with his string-driven single "Dry Your Eyes".

However, festival fury claimed its second victim when 50 Cent gave in to a relentless barrage of missiles and booing from the crowd.

Even before the lights went up for the main stage appearance fans started chanting and hurling abuse.

As the lights went up the stage was packed with hundreds of plastic bottles and paper cups.

And despite soldiering on for 25 minutes, 50 Cent eventually gave up and left the stage.

The traditional rap call of "put your hands in the air" was met by a sea of hands delivering a one-fingered salute.

The sell-out, three-day festival has attracted 55,000 people a day to watch top names including The Darkness, The White Stripes, Franz Ferdinand and Morrissey.

mattwakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 07:29 PM   #2
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

now THAT was an entertaining read, nice to see the Dropkick Murphys get a warm welcome
Old 08-29-2004, 07:44 PM   #3
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwakeman
Boston group Dropkick Murphys then braved the main stage shortly afterwards to an ecstatic reception.

that article really made me laugh. Good stuff
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 09:41 PM   #4
Tom E
H.S. Freshman Team

It would have been gangsta if 50 had pulled out his 9 MM and started shooting into the crowd...

I'll Never Forget What's Her Name...

A Democrat is Somebody who Knows the Issues, a Republican is Somebody who Understands the Issues...
Tom E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 09:53 PM   #5
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwakeman
The traditional rap call of "put your hands in the air" was met by a sea of hands delivering a one-fingered salute.

My kind of crowd. Lol.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 11:35 PM   #6
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

How did they get him in there? I guess it was kind of like those tiny ships they build.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 01:06 AM   #7
MrBug708
Head Coach

Why the hell would anyone think that Morrisey fans would like to see .50?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 01:25 AM   #8
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Why the hell would anyone think that Morrisey fans would like to see .50?

well....they liked some rap i guess..................
Quote:
Mercury Music Prize nominee The Streets appeared on stage later. The 25-year-old Birmingham rapper topped the charts this summer with his string-driven single "Dry Your Eyes".
.....just not 50cent rap.....
Old 08-30-2004, 02:18 AM   #9
bhlloy
Coordinator

The Streets is not really a rapper... not in the American sense of the word anyway. Kind of a fusion between UK garage, little bit of dance, little bit of indie with his own unique style of rapping (talking/singing) over the music.

I absolutely love the guy, but I've never met anyone from the US who did. Without wishing to start flame world war 3, I'd say it's much easier to relate to if you were brought up in the UK. My girlfriend thinks I am very strange for liking his music.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote