Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-27-2004, 05:23 PM   #1
rufusjonz
Banned

some decent poker tips from espn guy

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...ovinger/040816

Of course im taking a bit of a break myself, after losing about 2k in profits then 2k more on party poker earlier this week... and i've been playing for about 15 years

rufusjonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 05:29 PM   #2
rufusjonz
Banned

omg i actually played with this guy in vegas right before the wsop

-- we were in a single table $200 buy in or so, and when it got down to me and him and 1 other guy, we split the pot, with a bonus going to the winner -

- the picture is small and doesnt look exactly like him, but i remember him telling me he worked for espn and was trying to be a pro and writing about it
Old 08-27-2004, 10:53 PM   #3
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

Quote:
This doesn't seem quite right to me, either, because J-J is the fifth-best starting hand you can have; and it seems, logically, like you should be able to do more with it than with, say, 3-3. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

well, for one, 33 rarely has a flop of all undercards. so thats one. JJ is a very situational hand that i have only now after a year become comfortable with, but it is the 5th best hand for a reason
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 07:10 AM   #4
Logan
Head Coach

I'm a big believer in #5:

"5. As often as possible, raise or fold. Don't call unless it is absolutely necessary, or you are trying to trap someone. If you call, you only have one way to win the pot -- by showing down the best hand. When you raise, you can win the pot right there if everybody folds -- and, if they don't, you can still show down the best hand."

If it's good enough to call, its good enough to raise.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 10:05 AM   #5
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMetTrentGreen
well, for one, 33 rarely has a flop of all undercards. so thats one. JJ is a very situational hand that i have only now after a year become comfortable with, but it is the 5th best hand for a reason

Yeah, with 33 you pretty much always know where you stand. With JJ unless you hit a set, you have no idea. And, if you hit a set with other high cards on the flop there's a straight out there. You can't fear it, but it's there...
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 03:28 PM   #6
sabotai
General Manager

JJ

I think I've lost more money with this hand than any other. It's definately a bitch goddess. (Mainly because at the tables and tourneys I play, anyone with a Q, K, or A, regardless of their second card, will keep calling to the river no matter how much you raise.)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 04:00 PM   #7
rufusjonz
Banned

when my lucks running good i hold 44 and turn the third 4

when my lucks running bad, i hold kk and an ace turns
Old 08-29-2004, 09:33 AM   #8
Dutch
"Dutch"

Rule #1 for me - always try and see the flop.

Rule #2 for me - If you have an above average hand, don't let an aggressive better scare you away before the flop.

Rule #3 - Once you see the flop, regardless of betting, never be afraid to fold.

Rule #4 - Once you see the turn, rergardless of betting, never be afraid to fold.

Rule #5 - Once you see the river, regardless of betting, never be afraid to fold.

Folding sucks for you, but it sucks more for the guy with a great hand to see people folding even if they get you for some money. And you get to see another day where you get the cards to push your strategy with.

Last edited by Dutch : 08-29-2004 at 09:34 AM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 11:08 AM   #9
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Dutch, I don't mean to rag on your play, because I understand that everybody plays differently, but do your #1 and #2 rules ever seem to cost you some money?

You say "always try and see the flop." Does that apply if you're holding 3-6 unsuited? If all it'll cost you to see this flop is to call the big blind, do you do it? About #2, if your above average hand is KTs, for instance, do you cap against an aggressive player pre-flop, even considering that they may be holding KK or AA? In the long run, wouldn't these plays cost you money?