Meat Loaf 11 18.97%
Nirvana 6 10.34%
No Doubt 5 8.62%
Shania Twain 13 22.41%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2003, 01:33 PM   #51
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Haha the last tour they had to turn down the pitch for 2112 because Geddy can't go that high anymore.

HornedFrog Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 01:34 PM   #52
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
NO!!! That voice...in my head now!!!! NO!!!

I feel that way about Dave Matthews.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 01:37 PM   #53
Craptacular
College Starter

take these chances
place them in a box until a quieter time
lights down, you up and die
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 01:44 PM   #54
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Down with Creed!
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 01:53 PM   #55
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
It seems like the 'cool' thing to do is to not like Nirvana now...it's ashame too. They did make some cool music. Not the best by any means, but some of their songs were really cool.

I can understand why some people would not like Nirvana because of Kurt's voice. That's the reason I don't like Rush...that voice is just...unnatural.

But to each his own. Beleive it or not, there are people out there that don't like Elvis. That's just down right nutty.

It's only fair. Back when Nirvana came out, they made it uncool to like 80s pop metal bands. Now Nirvana has become uncool too. I personally have hated Nirvana from Day 1. The only song of theirs that is worth a damn is All Apologies. It's also nice to watch Pearl Jam go down into oblivion. The smirking, self-important guys that they are.

I like that one line: "I wish I was like you - easily amused."

Last edited by Kodos : 02-21-2003 at 01:55 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 01:57 PM   #56
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
It's only fair. Back when Nirvana came out, they made it uncool to like 80s pop metal bands. Now Nirvana has become uncool too. I personally have hated Nirvana from Day 1. The only song of theirs that is worth a damn is All Apologies. It's also nice to watch Pearl Jam go down into oblivion. The smirking, self-important guys that they are.

I like that one line: "I wish I was like you - easily amused."

What do aliens listen to, Engelbert Humperdinck?
Old 02-21-2003, 01:59 PM   #57
Kodos
Resident Alien

Aliens are all about anything from the 80s, with a special fondness for the pop metal movement.

P.S. - It looks like Creed has a little under 2 hours left on the island.

Last edited by Kodos : 02-21-2003 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-21-2003, 02:07 PM   #58
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Talking Heads "Remain in Light" is a great new wave album.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Old 02-21-2003, 03:46 PM   #59
Kodos
Resident Alien

Time's up! Creed is out!
Old 02-21-2003, 03:49 PM   #60
Tasan
College Starter

arrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhhh

Yes, I'm 27 and ashamed to admit I like Creed.....
Old 02-21-2003, 03:53 PM   #61
sabotai
General Manager

"It's only fair. Back when Nirvana came out, they made it uncool to like 80s pop metal bands. "

80's pop metal was ever cool?

And Pearl Jam is still selling out anywhere they go, so I wouldn't say they are going down into oblivion...
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 04:05 PM   #62
Kodos
Resident Alien

Are they playing large venues? (I don't know)
Old 02-21-2003, 04:23 PM   #63
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

It's the natural cycle. Give any fad 15-20 years, and it will go out and then come back. It happened with tie-dye shirts/psychedelic music in the 80's, bell-bottoms/disco in the 90's, and now 80's fashion/music is back. In 5 years, I guarantee flannel and grunge will have a revival, Soundgarden will get back together, Alice in Chains will be touring with Kurt Cobain's kid on lead vocals, and Eddie Vedder will actually look like Neil Young from his years of trying to be him.

It's all about kids wanting to be cool, and being cool is not liking what those immediately before you liked. So in the early 90's, it was uncool to like Bon Jovi. Now that 10 more years have passed, it's uncool to like Nirvana because they were your brother's favorite band, so Bon Jovi is back. Also, companies trying to sell products to those with income bring back music, etc, from when those people were younger. Which is why Burger King commercials play Crazy Train and You've Got Another Thing Comin', and Cadillac is trying to sell its cars to 50 year olds with Zeppelin tunes. It all makes sense.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 01:02 PM   #64
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally posted by pjstp20
Those are some strong words Kodos. Why so bitter? I'd like to know what kind of music you like. Me personally, I like music that has some depth and actually tries to address social issues, you know, make use of the milloins of ears that they have. It seems a little more purposeful then talking about how many riches you have, how many girls want to sleep with you, or even about your girlfriend or boyfriend and how much you love them or want them back, etc. Too many acts today miss this point. Plus they couldn't write music, lyrics, or play an instrament to save their ass. But like I said before it takes all kinds.

BTW, I'm sure Nirvana and Pearl Jam hated their mainstream success as much as you did.

Because I am a bitter, bitter man.

Also, I dislike bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam for a variety of reasons, none of which I claim are the final word. They are just my opinion.

1. They came in and helped kill my favorite kind of music, pop metal.

2. They (bands like Pearl Jam especially) took themselves so damn seriously. You could see their contempt for everyone in Eddie Vedder's little holier-than-thou smirk and constant political ramblings. At least my groups don't pretend to be deep or brooding. They just want to put out enjoyable music, and don't pretend to be anything else.

3. I like music that is fun. Music is entertainment, and it should be entertaining. Sing about girls, sex, rock and roll, etc.

4. I don't want to listen to whiny people cry about how awful the world is and how it has done them wrong, especially when they are multi-millionaires and appear on the cover of every other Rolling Stone magazine.

5. If I want to hear about social issues, I will look elsewhere. I don't mind the occasional social issue song, but if that is all you can write about, get some therapy.

6. I don't like to listen to music that makes me want to commit suicide.

7. I don't want to hear how great and deep Kurt Cobain was. Way to set an example for people with problems by killing yourself. Way to abandon your child. Although, honestly, if I was dumb enough to marry Courtney Love, I'd want to kill myself too.

8. If they hated success so much, they must be much happier today.

9. If they hated attention so much, maybe they should have given out fewer interviews and appeared in fewer videos.

10. Yada yada yada. I won't go in to your musicianship argument, because that is even more pointless to argue than the stuff above. While there were certainly groups with lesser skills in the pop metal movement, there were also plenty of groups that featured first class players. Or is Eddie Van Halen a talentless hack too? (Just an example)

In the end, what it comes down to is I just don't enjoy their music. Pearl Jam's music itself was okay, but Eddie Vedder's singing and lyrics did not appeal to me. Almost nothing about Nirvana's music appealed to me, especially not Cobain's lyrics, voice, or guitar playing. If you want to say the music I listen to is crap too, that is fine. If you want to say your music is better because it sings about deep social issues, that is fine. We obviously look for different things in our music. For me it is escapism, for you it is something else. Like I said earlier, it's all subjective. Your opinion is just as valid as mine. Mine is just as valid as yours.

Good day.
Old 02-22-2003, 05:05 PM   #65
Kodos
Resident Alien

I don't really listen to many of today's bands. I like Goo Goo Dolls, Third Eye Blind, maybe a couple others. Otherwise, I stick with older music or the new music of older bands.

It's just my personal taste. Many others disagree.