Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2004, 04:02 PM   #1
The_herd
College Starter

Marcus Vick.....

Man this guy is really is making an ass of himself....

hxxp://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1835172

Quote:
Associated Press

RICHMOND, Va. -- Virginia Tech quarterback Marcus Vick has been charged with reckless driving and possession of marijuana, state police said Tuesday.

Vick, the brother of Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick, was stopped by a state trooper early Saturday morning on an interstate about 25 miles east of Richmond.

Vick was clocked on radar at 86 mph, 21 mph above the speed limit, state police spokesman Gary B. Payne said.

"As a result of the traffic stop, he also was charged with possession of marijuana," Payne said.

Both charges are misdemeanors, he said.

In May, Marcus Vick was convicted of misdemeanors stemming from a drinking party with underage girls.

He was sentenced to 30 days in jail and fined $2,250 on three counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor after he and two teammates gave alcohol to 14- and 15-year-old girls at the players' apartment.

After the trial, Virginia Tech athletic director Jim Weaver promised to punish the players, but refused to disclose what kind of disciplinary action he'll take, citing the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974.

Coach Frank Beamer also has declined to discuss the convictions, saying he prefers to wait until the appeals process has run its course.

Vick has appealed his conviction and sentence to Montgomery County Circuit Court.

Virginia Tech does not automatically suspend students charged with a misdemeanor. University spokesman Larry Hincker said that any student convicted of a misdemeanor is subject to disciplinary action levied by the university office of judicial affairs. Penalties range from a simple warning to dismissal from school.

The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 04:09 PM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

He's definately the Roger Clinton of the sports world.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 04:10 PM   #3
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Well, I gotta say, he is a Moron.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:29 PM   #4
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I say he is young and foolish I hope he can get himself together because he is a great talent. Good Luck Marcus...
Old 07-06-2004, 04:44 PM   #5
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop
I say he is young and foolish I hope he can get himself together because he is a great talent. Good Luck Marcus...

I fail to follow that logic. I hope that all young fools get themselves together, but I certainly don't hope that any moreso for the great talents among them. Does that stem from a selfish desire to see them perform?

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 04:50 PM   #6
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
I fail to follow that logic. I hope that all young fools get themselves together, but I certainly don't hope that any moreso for the great talents among them. Does that stem from a selfish desire to see them perform?

He is young and foolish. Meaning he is just going thru the period in his life when he can't get anything right.(It happens to most young people) I guess I do want to see him perform because as I said he is a great talent. You can call whatever you want...
Old 07-06-2004, 04:59 PM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If Vick didnt have a rich athlete brother and play football himself, his ass would be in jail. He's a moron.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:04 PM   #8
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop
Ditto. But at the same time, I have to confess that I no longer want him representing my alma mater on the athletic field. I hope he can get his life in order, but I have reservations about Virginia Tech putting their reputation (how much is left of it) on the line for someone who is seemingly as irresponsible as Marcus has persented himself.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 05:07 PM   #9
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Dola
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
If Vick didnt have a rich athlete brother and play football himself, his ass would be in jail. He's a moron.
You should probably know facts about a topic before you spout off a stereotypical line such as this. The incident that he was involved in previously did not warrant any further jail time. However, this one may (due to probation violation)...even then, you should hold off on your condemnation of the judicial system until he receives his sentence.

Last edited by VPI97 : 07-06-2004 at 05:08 PM.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 05:14 PM   #10
Tigercat
College Starter

I'm all for second chances, but these are two big screw ups. As you said VPI, hes representing a University, thats why he deserves all the (verbal) condemnation he can get, at 18+ he should know better. Sometimes people won't act decent if you don't expect and demand it, and damnit we should expect more than this of our young athletes that are representing our universities(not that VT is one of *my* universities, but we have all seen all schools go through troubled student athletes like this). Marcus Vick is talented enough that if he doesnt screw up big time, someone will give him extra chances, but there has to be consequences. And that should include people calling him the idiot he has acted like and VT telling him to go play somewhere else.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:07 PM   #11
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

I agree with Noop in that I hate to see a kid waste his talent and i hope he gets his head on straight. if anything, I think his celebrity makes things harder for him. If he didn't have a rich athlete brother and play football himself his sentence might have been exactly the same, but his mistakes wouldn't be magnified by being in the newspaper.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:48 PM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
Dola
You should probably know facts about a topic before you spout off a stereotypical line such as this. The incident that he was involved in previously did not warrant any further jail time. However, this one may (due to probation violation)...even then, you should hold off on your condemnation of the judicial system until he receives his sentence.

Dude, I am well versed on the previous occurance. He was local to the area in which I had been living till a couple of weeks ago(Norfolk VA). The crap with the teenage girls, alcohol and photos just speaks volume of his character.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:53 PM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
... speaks volume of his character.

Or lack thereof.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:06 PM   #14
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- Virginia Tech quarterback Marcus Vick was suspended indefinitely from the team Tuesday, the same day it was revealed he was charged with reckless driving and possession of marijuana.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html