Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-29-2001, 03:17 PM   #1
TheDawgsAreOut
H.S. Freshman Team

Post The (Return of the) Keith Jackson Challenge

In the interest of those longing for an actual FOF challenge/dynasty on the front page of the Dynasty section, I have decided to bring back the Keith Jackson Challenge. Of course, this challenge's premise is only using players from Mr. Jackson's favorite conference (as well as mine) and the one he graduated from (Washington State University, unfortunately).

To see the last time I attempted this challenge (and failed rather miserably, with my excuse that it was my first time playing FOF besides the demo), visit these links:
http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/ubb/...ML/000031.html
http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/ubb/...ML/000064.html

This time I will take over the Jacksonville Jaguars. The other teams with a number of Pac-10 players (New England, Oakland), I had already played or am playing franchises with, so we'll try the Jags, with the intent to eventually move them to Pac-10 territory, but not before building a solid squad (I hope).

As a result of my added knowledge of FOF, I will be adding to my initial rules by following the WLC roster rules with the one exception being that I may sign urfa's to 4-year contracts at the minimum salary. These players will likely form a large portion of my team the first few years.

The initial rules:
1. Start with an Empty Cupboard by releasing all non-Pac-10 players. No 'easing' into the challenge.
2. Only players from Pac-10 schools and Idaho - an honorary Pac-10 school by virtue of beating Washington State the last two years - are eligible.

Remember, as always, Just Try to Dis The Pac-10 Now! Hmm, perhaps I should wait until I actually have some success to say that.

TheDawgsAreOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 03:27 PM   #2
TheDawgsAreOut
H.S. Freshman Team

By the way, this is not just a pathetic attempt to increase my post totals.

After releasing everyone else, I'm left with the following Pac-10 players:

QB Mark Brunell, Washington (8th year, 67/67)
A key player in our current and future plans. Excellent QB for a challenge team like this.

TE Rich Griffith, Arizona (7th year, 27/33)
Filler.

WR R. Jay Soward, USC (1st year, 42/69)
Top wide reciever ... for now.

WR Lenzie Jackson, Arizona (2nd year, 25/25
More filler.

T Tony Boselli, USC (6th year, 94/94)
The franchise.

K Mike Hollis, Idaho (6th year, 54/54)
Adequate kicker.

DE Rob Meier, Washington State (1st year, 15/32)
Yet more filler.

LB Hardy Nickerson, California (14th year, 60/60)
Will be a nice player until retirement.

LB Brant Boyer, Arizona (7th year, 42/42)
Adequate starter.

S Carnell Lake, UCLA (12th year, 71/71)
Rock of the secondary right now.

The roster will be filled with free agents (perhaps not from the Pac-10 if I can't fill all the positions.)
Old 03-29-2001, 06:34 PM   #3
TheDawgsAreOut
H.S. Freshman Team

I filled out the roster with the use of 7 players not really eligible for the KJ challenge. Here's how the eligible players stacked up:

Arizona - 4
Arizona State - 5
California - 7
Idaho - 1
Oregon - 4
Oregon State - 3
USC - 6
Stanford - 2
UCLA - 4
Washington - 6
Washington State - 4

3 Players get multi-year contracts:

WR Sean Dawkins, Cal (8th year, 60/63)
A fine perfomer for me in the first KJC, and a bargain as a free agent.

WR Dameane Douglas, Cal (2nd year, 36/56)
A solid young wideout, and amenable to a long-term deal.

LB Ink Aleaga, Washington (4th year, 35/55)
Another veteran of the first KJC who was once the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year for me.

I also extended the contracts of LB Hardy Nickerson and S Carnell Lake, who were both in their final seasons.

My roster rates a 14, tied for 29th in the NFL.

Cohesion is dead last in three categories, but a respectable 68 in passing, better than five other teams.

[This message has been edited by TheDawgsAreOut (edited 03-29-2001).]
Old 03-29-2001, 09:59 PM   #4
TheDawgsAreOut
H.S. Freshman Team

The first year of the Keith Jackson Challenge ends in failure, as the Jaguars limp their way to the finish line with a record of 5-11, finishing last in the AFC Central. General Manager Kevin Pelton expected some struggles, and was not particularly displeased with his team. "In a way, [finishing poorly] is a bit of a blessing. The last time I did this, we won a weak division our first year, and all it did was hurt our draft pick. We lucked out that year because Leo [Branch, starting quarterback for all 8 years of his career in the first Keith Jackson Challenge] was cut by the Seahawks, but this time we should legitimately be able to add some talent."

The Jaguars began the year with back-to-back road wins in division, over Cleveland and Baltimore. They proceeded to even their record. The Jaguars rebounded with a pair of victories over AFC Central rivals Pittsburgh and Baltimore. Then, the bottom fell out, as the Jaguars early success was revealed to be the product of largely smoke and mirrors. Jacksonville lost their final three games prior to their bye week, and then proceeded to lose three more after that to fall to 4-8 on the season. The Jaguars got their final win against Cleveland in week 14, then lost their final three games to finish at 5-11.

Significant injuries were suffered by wr Sean Dawkins, who missed 11 games after excellent play in the early going, and dt Mike Lodish.

The Jaguars finished tied for the second-worst record in a parity-filled NFL, and will undergo a coin flip in February with the Kansas City Chiefs and New York Jets to determine their draft position. GM Pelton says he expects a tumultuous off-season. "Basically, there are a lot of factors that mean we're going to be moving a lot of guys," said Pelton. "Most of the guys we signed prior to the season were only willing to sign one year deals, and had unreasonable demands for a second year. I don't expect those demands to come down, in which case they won't be back." As well, the Jaguars are in a difficult cap situation because cut players' bonuses will count against the cap next season. "It'll be tight," said the GM. "We won't likely be able to pursue anyone in free agency, and we'll probably have to rely on a lot of undrafted rookie free agents." Pelton urged the fans not to expect too much for 2001. "We'll have another down year," he predicted. "We're basically looking at 2002, when we'll have some serious cap room. Unfortunately, we'll be bidding against an expansion franchise, who will have cap room and holes galore."

Statistical Leaders:
QB Mark Brunell - 345 of 585(1st), 58.9%, 3732 yards, 23 tds (4th), 12 ints, 82.3 rating
RB Amos Craig - 145 carries for 589 yards, 4.0 ypc, 0 td
WR R. Jay Soward - 96 catches (t2nd) for 1251 yards, 13.0 avg, 6 td, 14 drops (3rd)
[editor's note - screwed out of offensive roy]
WR Justin Armour - 96 catches (t2nd) for 1032 yards, 10.7 avg, 4 td, 11 drops
WR Dameane Douglas - 73 catches for 901 yards, 12.3 avg, 9 td, 6 drops
LB Derek Smith - 124 tackes, 90 solo, 2.0 sacks, 14.8 tkp
LB Hardy Nickerson - 98 tackles, 75 solo, 1.0 sacks, 16.4 tkp
S Carnell Lake - 107 tackles, 83 solo, 1.0 sacks, 13.7 tkp, 4 ints, 41.2 pdq
CB Craig Newsome - 4 interceptions, 34.6 pdq

No Jaguar achieved any awards or honors.