Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-15-2004, 05:26 PM   #1
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Kerry's wife a republican?

I turned on my AOL, and it had a story about how Kerry's wife was a registered Republican until he started this run at the presidency. Also, she was married to a republican senator who was the heir to the Heinz fortune before he died. I am guessing that this dead senator would be "displeased" to know that his family fortune is being used to get a Dem in the Whitehouse. Funny.

judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 05:32 PM   #2
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Hmmmm. . . that would mean that she was a registered Republican all through his Senate campaigns I guess. Why switch now? It just looks like what it is--a move designed for the PR aspects of it.

I think that--had it ever become an issue--they could have spun it into a positive. Something like "Senator and Mrs. Kerry do not allow their political differences to disrupt their marriage and this proves that he will be a good communicator across the asile - - -"or something like that.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 05:35 PM   #3
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Kerry's wife use to be married to John Heinz, aka Heinz Ketchup. He was a senator from PA. A few months after he passed she married John Kerry.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 05:39 PM   #4
MrBug708
Head Coach

I wonder if Maria Shriver is a Republican? I'd imagine not since Arnold is pretty liberal of a Republican.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 05:50 PM   #5
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk
I turned on my AOL, and it had a story about how Kerry's wife was a registered Republican until he started this run at the presidency. Also, she was married to a republican senator who was the heir to the Heinz fortune before he died. I am guessing that this dead senator would be "displeased" to know that his family fortune is being used to get a Dem in the Whitehouse. Funny.
Huh. Is John Heinz displeased in the afterlife? Based on what I've read about John Heinz, my guess is that he would be all for it. Mr. Heinz apparently loved his wife very much. If she wanted to be first lady of the United States, I'd bet he'd be for it. For anyone who is married or deeply committed in a relationship, would you want politics to stand in the way of your loved one achieving something they want to do if you passed away?

As for the using the family fortune, Kerry is not using the Heinz fortune to bankroll his campaign. First of all, aside from the odd, insane Internet billionaire, no one bankrolls their own campaign for national political office. That's why you raise donation. Kerry did indeed borrow personal loans to keep his campaign afloat and get started in the beginning, but those were loans on his personal property or joint property that he and his wife purchased outside of the Heinz fortune -- it's been made clear that no Heinz family money is being used in the campaign.

I also see that Theresa has come out saying she switched parties following the repugnant campaign tactics the Republicans used against Max Cleland. The man lost three limbs in Vietnam and the GOP accused him of being unpatriotic because he was oppposed to certain provisions in the Department of Homeland Security regarding workers' rights.

Except for her reasons, the rest of this is old news. This story ran during the primaries and quickly disappeared because no one cared, other than people who will not vote for Kerry anway.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 05:51 PM   #6
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
I wonder if Maria Shriver is a Republican? I'd imagine not since Arnold is pretty liberal of a Republican.
That's the real question -- how do the Kennedy's feel about having Arnold in the family?
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 05:59 PM   #7
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:
Kerry's wife use to be married to John Heinz, aka Heinz Ketchup. He was a senator from PA. A few months after he passed she married John Kerry.

You are forgetting the part where she made Kerry get an annulment instead of divorce (after about 20 years of marriage and 2 grown children) because she is Catholic and they don't "believe" in divorce. Personally, I find that fact repugnant...what kind of man would 1st of all, leave his wife for another woman, and then to add insult to injury ask for an annulment after 20 years of marriage? It is my understanding that the annulment is supposed to be used instead of a divorce in cases or abuse, "extenuating" circumstances, or when the marriage has not been consummated. NOT for cases where a man wants to get out of one marriage (long term) to marry someone else.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 06:03 PM   #8
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

John Heinz was part of a political party that bears little resemblence to what's called the Republican Party these days.

I'd imagine he'd have a tough time choosing which side to support if he were alive today, so, grandstanding over the Cleland issue aside, I'm sure he'd have no problem with what Theresa is doing (aside from the fact that they might still be married today).
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 06:10 PM   #9
SFL Cat
College Starter

Of course, as a registered Democrat who has voted Republican for the past 25 years (except in some state and local elections), I would say the Democratic party bears even less resemblance to the party I thought I was a part of.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 06-15-2004 at 06:11 PM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 06:43 PM   #10
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

I believe that this dead republican senator would not want his money spent on helping a democrat win the whitehouse. Loving your wife very much is not a reason to support her new husbands political ideas that conflict with your own. Now, it is not this dead republicans money anymore anyway, so I agree that heinz might want her to do anything with it that she wants, that brings us to the money,

I do not believe that this fortune is not being used to Kerry's campaign. I will say that I don't think there would be anything wrong with Kerry using the money, and i agree that most politicians do not break themselves financially campaigning. At the very least, it is far less likely that Kerry would be where he is today if he was not a multi-millionaire (or didn't marry one.). I do think that this applies even more to Bush. Bush is just another in a long line of rich and connected families in the united States who run the government. Either Kerry was allowed into that club because of his own families money or connections, his wife's, or because maybe he showed unusual talent. This is one of the things that i admire about Clinton. His rise to power was primarily because of his own talent.

The story that I read did say that kerry's wife stopped being a Republican because of the campaign against Max Cleeland. i do not buy this. If I showed her an example of repulsive campaign tactics used by democrats running against honorable republicans, would she then leave the democratic party? I don't think so.

I did not know that this is old news, but I do agree that it won't sway me in whether or not I would vote for kerry. That is to say that i do not hold it against him, although if his wife remained a republican, i might be slightly more likely to vote for him because it would be kind of cool that his wife is from the opposing party. It would show that he and his wife are reasonable people who can rise above political differences.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 06:52 PM   #11
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
That's the real question -- how do the Kennedy's feel about having Arnold in the family?

Maria is still a Democrat. And this article might give you some insights:

http://www.sacbee.com/content/politi...10584018c.html
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 06:57 PM   #12
clintl
College Starter

Dola...

I may be wrong, but I believe that Kerry himself came from a wealthy family, and has his own fortune separate from Teresa's. Not as nearly as big a fortune, of course, but substantial. I have always heard that Teresa switched parties because of anger over the campaign against Cleland. Everything I have heard about her says that she is a very strong-willed, independent person.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 07:00 PM   #13
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

And according to Drudge, "cheeky and sexy".
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 08:07 PM   #14
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Saint Ronald of Reagan was a Democrat at one time.

I was a Republican, until I watched Reagan in action for four years.

Like people can never have a change of heart over their politics at a point in their lives.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 09:22 PM   #15
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Does it really matter what he party is, or was? She made Kerry sign a prenup (and its something she is big in speaking on) before they married, to protect her fortune for her 3 kids. To be honest, I would vote for her then either Bush or Kerry if she could run (which she never could do due to citizenship requirements to run). Also, I believe her late husband (hwo she married for years and has 3 children with and is the love of her), would want her to be happy. If marrying Kerry is that, then I'm sure he would be happy.

Last edited by SunDancer : 06-15-2004 at 09:24 PM.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 09:42 PM   #16
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl
You are forgetting the part where she made Kerry get an annulment instead of divorce (after about 20 years of marriage and 2 grown children) because she is Catholic and they don't "believe" in divorce. Personally, I find that fact repugnant...what kind of man would 1st of all, leave his wife for another woman, and then to add insult to injury ask for an annulment after 20 years of marriage? It is my understanding that the annulment is supposed to be used instead of a divorce in cases or abuse, "extenuating" circumstances, or when the marriage has not been consummated. NOT for cases where a man wants to get out of one marriage (long term) to marry someone else.

You need to be careful what right wing blog you read. Kerry's been divorced from his first wife since 1982. He did not leave his wife for another woman, and certainly not Teresa (they met in 1992). So who's lie exactly did you buy into when stating this?
Old 06-15-2004, 09:44 PM   #17
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
John Heinz was part of a political party that bears little resemblence to what's called the Republican Party these days.

Which could also be inversely said about Zell Miller.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 09:45 PM   #18
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintl
Dola...

I may be wrong, but I believe that Kerry himself came from a wealthy family, and has his own fortune separate from Teresa's. Not as nearly as big a fortune, of course, but substantial. I have always heard that Teresa switched parties because of anger over the campaign against Cleland. Everything I have heard about her says that she is a very strong-willed, independent person.

Kerry's first wife was very rich.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 09:47 PM   #19
Critch
lolzcat

Laura Bush is a former Democrat who has said that she's a Republican by marriage, so maybe Bush and Kerry should swap wifes.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 09:49 PM   #20
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
Laura Bush is a former Democrat who has said that she's a Republican by marriage, so maybe Bush and Kerry should swap wifes.

That's hot.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 10:10 PM   #21
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WussGawd
Saint Ronald of Reagan...

huh?
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 10:13 PM   #22
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:
You need to be careful what right wing blog you read. Kerry's been divorced from his first wife since 1982. He did not leave his wife for another woman, and certainly not Teresa (they met in 1992). So who's lie exactly did you buy into when stating this?

From www.greenspun.com

"In 1997, when Sen. Kerry sought to have the marriage that had produced their two daughters annulled, Thorne was furious at being asked to acquiesce. In an interview with the Boston Globe she said the request "was disrespectful to me ... and devoid of any sense of the humanity of what this means to me and the children." "I cannot look my children in the eyes or stand before them with integrity and know in my heart that I have contributed in any way to a process that invalidates and nullified the union from which they were created," Thorne raged. Still, the spurned ex-wife decided not to contest the annulment.In a statement released to the press, Kerry declined to comment on his request for annulment, except to say that he "very much understands Julia's feelings and appreciates her support." Thorne has since remarried and lives quietly in Montana."

From a timeline on rotten.com:

25 Jul 1988 After a six-year separation, divorces first wife Julia Thorne (two daughters: Alexandra and Vanessa).
26 May 1995 Marries second wife Teresa Heinz in Nantucket.
7 May 1997 Publicly admits that he has requested that the Catholic church grant him an annulment for his 18-year marriage to Julia Thorne, by whom he has two daughters.

Ok - if he had already married Heinz, then WHY would he need an annulment from the church? He is pro-choice, which goes directly against the Catholic church, but felt he needed to nullify the marriage that lasted for 18 years????? And he has been separated since 1982, but didn't get divorced until 1988. The when or why doesn't really matter, it's the fact that he did it that I don't like.

Last edited by oliegirl : 06-15-2004 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:26 PM   #23
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
From www.greenspun.com

"In 1997, when Sen. Kerry sought to have the marriage that had produced their two daughters annulled, Thorne was furious at being asked to acquiesce. In an interview with the Boston Globe she said the request "was disrespectful to me ... and devoid of any sense of the humanity of what this means to me and the children." "I cannot look my children in the eyes or stand before them with integrity and know in my heart that I have contributed in any way to a process that invalidates and nullified the union from which they were created," Thorne raged. Still, the spurned ex-wife decided not to contest the annulment.In a statement released to the press, Kerry declined to comment on his request for annulment, except to say that he "very much understands Julia's feelings and appreciates her support." Thorne has since remarried and lives quietly in Montana."

From a timeline on rotten.com:

25 Jul 1988 After a six-year separation, divorces first wife Julia Thorne (two daughters: Alexandra and Vanessa).
26 May 1995 Marries second wife Teresa Heinz in Nantucket.
7 May 1997 Publicly admits that he has requested that the Catholic church grant him an annulment for his 18-year marriage to Julia Thorne, by whom he has two daughters.

Ok - if he had already married Heinz, then WHY would he need an annulment from the church? He is pro-choice, which goes directly against the Catholic church, but felt he needed to nullify the marriage that lasted for 18 years????? And he has been separated since 1982, but didn't get divorced until 1988. The when or why doesn't really matter, it's the fact that he did it that I don't like.

What a fascinating family, those Greenspuns.

I couldn't find the Kerry info you quoted from there on the site, but by looking at them I'm quite sure they're a credible and entertaining news source.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:36 PM   #24
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:
I couldn't find the Kerry info you quoted from there on the site, but by looking at them I'm quite sure they're a credible and entertaining news source.

The info I quoted was from a Boston Globe interview that is archived at newsmax.com: http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2...4/133600.shtml

Since what I quoted wasn't an opinion, but quotes from a newspaper, it shouldn't really matter what the other content on that particular site said, now should it?
Old 06-15-2004, 10:51 PM   #25
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
The info I quoted was from a Boston Globe interview that is archived at newsmax.com: http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2...4/133600.shtml

Since what I quoted wasn't an opinion, but quotes from a newspaper, it shouldn't really matter what the other content on that particular site said, now should it?

Well, you did mention that you got the quote from the site and the site had nothing much on it, certainly nothing news related. I was poking fun about that as it's an amusing attempt at a website.

That was my point. It ties in with the original question.The original question was "what right wing blog did you get your news from"? It wasn't regurgitate the news you got. By posting the link you did it sure seemed like in answering the question, you'd relied on that family for this information, which I didn't exactly knock, but come on, look at the page, it is kinda funny when thought of in this context.

If you got your information from the Boston Globe, it would have probably made more sense to attribute it to them rather than quoting a quote and pointing to a family's personal web page that doesn't have the quote on it. I don't know, that would have made more sense wouldn't it?
Old 06-15-2004, 11:07 PM   #26
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:
If you got your information from the Boston Globe, it would have probably made more sense to attribute it to them rather than quoting a quote and pointing to a family's personal web page that doesn't have the quote on it. I don't know, that would have made more sense wouldn't it?

Probably, but that was the first site I came to and I didn't realize exactly what it was b/c I didn't look at any other pages.

Goodnight!!!! I am off to bed...
Old 06-15-2004, 11:09 PM   #27
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Probably, but that was the first site I came to and I didn't realize exactly what it was b/c I didn't look at any other pages.

Goodnight!!!! I am off to bed...

Gotcha!

Goodnight!!!

I'm still stuck at work.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:20 PM   #28
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Does it really matter what his wife is or was?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 11:23 PM   #29
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan
Does it really matter what his wife is or was?

I'd say if the answer to what his wife is or was is "a man" then yes, it matters quite a bit.

It's a joke people, not a reason to turn this into another type of thread entirely.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:26 PM   #30
SFL Cat
College Starter

All you have to do is see which charities she supports. That will tell you quite a bit about her political leanings.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 12:49 AM   #31
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
huh?

Sorry, my mistake. I thought with the disgusting wall to wall Reagan lovefest last week that he must have been beatified.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:07 AM   #32
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat
All you have to do is see which charities she supports. That will tell you quite a bit about her political leanings.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4825959/site/newsweek/
Good article on her. I think she needs to dress herself up alittle more (some makup, ect.) and needs to work on her body langauge more.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 07:55 PM   #33
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16

Heinz died in 1991, John Kerry and Theresa married in in 1995. They didnt even begin dating until 1993. Where does this misinformation come from?
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 08:09 PM   #34
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WussGawd
Sorry, my mistake. I thought with the disgusting wall to wall Reagan lovefest last week that he must have been beatified.

You are a very nasty player in the partisan politics world.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote