Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-10-2004, 08:07 PM   #1
hukarez
College Starter

Ty Law wants back in New England

Sorry if this was posted earlier!

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/NE/7408589

EDIT:
FOXBORO, Mass. (June 10, 2004) -- Ty Law now says he wants to retire with the New England Patriots, an about-face that comes after he declared he wanted to leave and called his coach a liar.

Law met with coach Bill Belichick on Thursday, June 10, the first day of the team's minicamp, and emerged to declare that he wanted to retire a Patriot.

Belichick was less forthcoming.

"It's my job to coach the team, get the team ready for the opener and the regular season," he said. "It's his job to prepare to play and I expect both of us will do that."

"It's just time to move on, the past is the past," he told reporters after the meeting, about which he gave few details. "Things happen, this is a business. I'm a Patriot and I'm glad to be."

Law was key part of New England's second Super Bowl title in three years. But since the season's end, he's battled with the team over an extension of his current contract, which has $16.9 million remaining over two years. The team offered a four-year, $26 million extension, including a $6.6 million bonus, but Law said it was "a slap in the face."

"I can't even see myself putting on that uniform again, that's how bad I feel about playing here," he said at the time. He also had said Belichick "gets paid to lie."

Though he took a conciliatory tone Thursday, Law expressed uncertainty when asked if he expected to be with New England at the start of the season. He added he wanted to help the Patriots defend their championship.

In order for Law to leave New England, the team would have to trade or release him.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter

Last edited by hukarez : 06-10-2004 at 08:11 PM.
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 08:36 PM   #2
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I'm not at all surprised.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:01 PM   #3
Philliesfan980
Banned

I really don't think Belichick cares about what Law says about him. Thats the difference between him and some of the other coaches in the league. IF you get on Parcells bad side, you might as well ask for a trade because your life will be hell for the rest of your duration there.

Belichick seems more like a lets get it done on the field kind of guy, and who cares about the rest of that stuff. Winning is everything. If Law is worth the current wage he's getting Belichick will keep him, if he's not, he won't. Pretty simple.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote