Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-07-2003, 03:08 PM   #1
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Madden PC help (couriers?)

This weekend, I'm finally going to start a career in Madeen 2003 PC. I have been doing a lot of exhibition games and practicing, mainly to see how I work with the gamepad controls.

I have been studying the various settings posted on websites, primarily couriers one at http://home.attbi.com/~kschetti/madden.xls

Since maddenplanet does not have the 2003 stuff up yet, I am wondering about changing a couple of them but not sure how. Here's my problem. I love a balanced game: running and passing. I let the QB throw on its own using the play that I call but I love to run with the RB/FB myself. The problem is that I suck at running (not coordinated enough to get to the juke/spin/dive/jump buttons). I also like to run outside more than anything else. courier's recommended settings for human/cpu RB ability (5/14) assumes that it is easy to run. Since it is not for me, what do I change it so that I can average 90-130 ypg and be able to run outside better. The recommended RB blocking is 19/15.

Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 03:29 PM   #2
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Okay, this might be a stupid question, but did you realize that those settings are for the PS2? For the PC the sliders run from 0-99 so if you are using the PS2 settings make sure to multiply them by 5 to get the corresponding PC settings.

Now assuming you already knew that, the easiest way to increase your running ability (besides a lot of pratice) is to up the running back ability. His setting of 25 is pretty low for a beginner. I'd up it to at least 50, if not higher. The other way to get more yards running is to up the run blocking slider which is already pretty high at 95. In the settings there is also a run assist button but I wouldn't mess with that. Those two I mentioned have the biggest impact on running. Things like CPU defensive awareness and tackling also can impact your yards. As far as outside versus inside rushing the best way to get better outside is make sure you have strong offensive tackles as opposed to guards and center.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Tarkus

P.S. I like to use 13 minute accelerated clock. It gives just about the right number of plays per game. I don't know if his 10 minutes are accelarated or not but IMHO 10 accel is too low and 10 reg is too high.

Last edited by Tarkus : 02-07-2003 at 03:41 PM.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 03:32 PM   #3
primelord
Pro Rookie

So I am guessing you are going to start your career with the Falcons and force Vick to stay in the pocket for his entire career?
Old 02-07-2003, 03:50 PM   #4
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

primelord: You should know better. I'm starting with your Rams, of course. Besides, I do not care what the QB does behind the LoS, just as long he makes every attempt to throw the ball.

tarkus: Thanks. Yes, that's the same thing Gindin did when displaying 0-100 on the screen but printing out 0-20. The thought process was automatic.

Question though. Maddenplanet talked about WR blocking when running outside. Is that a matter getting good blockers or a slider setting?
Old 02-07-2003, 03:56 PM   #5
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Well, both. Run blocking I believe affects all players blocking on the play so if they start with good blocking skills it just increases them. The tight end and fullback (if he's in the formation) also help a lot with outside running.

Tarkus
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 04:47 PM   #6
Buzzbee
College Starter

A - Another thing that I found really helped my outside running was holding down the "burst" button. I used to just smack it and let it go, but then I read on here that you can hold it down and it will give a continuous burst. With a RB who has good endurance, you can use it quite frequently and not be toooo concerned about wearing out your RB. I also liked to keep a pretty good backup RB as well.
Old 02-07-2003, 05:00 PM   #7
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Buzz, that's the only button I have learned to use while running. I'm just not a good multi-button masher.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:53 PM   #8
Raven
College Prospect

With running, concentrate on learning one button at a time. First you want to use the speed burst button. Once you get used to that learn the juke moves. Then throw in the spin move. Then probably the stiff arms and finally the hurdle.

If you concentrate on learning one at a time, you only have to learn one, not five.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 09:50 AM   #9
couriers

Anrhydeddu,

Haven't been around for a few days and just noticed this. Sorry for the delay in responding but it seems that Tarkus and the others have covered the question well. Even though the settings are actually for the Xbox and not the PS2 they do work the same and the difference between them and the PC version is why I stipulated the source in the first place.

Personally, it seemed that the automatic running in the game was way too good while the automatic catching was really bad. This led me to decrease & increase the other so dramatically. One thing to consider with slider settings is to add the variable of your own ability for more realistic results. Main point of this is to not look at the settings as concrete but rather as something that could require a minor adjustment here and there as the season’s progress and your abilities get better. Ravens advice of learning one skill at a time is excellent and will eventually have you using all available options as you choose if so desired. End ramble.

BTW, have you started your career yet and if so how is it going so far?

I’m just about to enter my second season stats. My team was eliminated in the first round of the playoffs after having won 3 in a row to barely squeak in. My star running back had won the NFC RB of the Year award and was snubbed for the Pro Bowl, go figure.

Exciting so far and looking forward to the season coming up.

FTR, the Pro Bowl can be very enjoyable to actually play since you get to use a bunch of different players as opposed to the same old throughout the year. Mixing things up a bit is always a good thing and the end of a long season is a really good time to do it. I also like to do this so that I can adjust the Depth Chart to include the players from my own team that have happened to get selected so that they actually get playing time.

It also adds to the flavor of the game when you have 27 free agents that you know personally. Some of them are on my team while the others were spread across the league during the second season free agency period. Now I find myself looking through the other team rosters more often to see how certain “friends” are doing.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:31 AM   #10
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Thanks couriers for responding. I have just played my third game of the season last night (playing as the Rams). I think I have come up with a stable set of ratings but each game I am still tweaking the RB Ability slider (between 12-14 on the 20 pt scale). Faulk should get 100-yd games and it's fun to do so and Warner can complete great passes if he is not turning the ball over. So far, I lost to the Broncos 19-14, mainly due to Warner's 6 ints (I then moved that slider down a bit). I beat the Giants 24-16 with good clock management. Last night, I played a whopper of a game against the Bucs on Monday Night. I lost 38-35 with Warner getting about 210 yds passing and Faulk with about 130 yds rushing. I gave up some big plays, made a few of my own, but 3 ints and poor defense down the stretch made the difference. I didn't think I could have 73 points and 600+ yds in total offense playing with 10 min qtrs and accel. clock, esp. since my first two games were half that.

I thought I would get into the Player Management more but I am letting the AI take care of all of that. I'll have fun with that during the off-season I suspect.