Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-08-2003, 07:16 PM   #1
RoyalTen
n00b

OT - Fight Club....

Dont have much to contribute to the game, as in questions and such, so i will bring this up....i started that thread about Donnie Darko, and now Magnolia has come up, so while we are on the movie topics here, i think the greatest movie of all time has got to be Fight Club. Its got so much meaning and, i dont even know how to explain it, its just simply, GREAT.

RoyalTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 07:27 PM   #2
DolaBump
Mascot

Re: OT - Fight Club....

Quote:
Originally posted by RoyalTen
Dont have much to contribute to the game, as in questions and such, so i will bring this up....i started that thread about Donnie Darko, and now Magnolia has come up, so while we are on the movie topics here, i think the greatest movie of all time has got to be Fight Club. Its got so much meaning and, i dont even know how to explain it, its just simply, GREAT.

Okay, I like this movie, quite a bit in fact, but its not the best movie of all time. I'm not knocking it, but I'm not even sure I'd classify it the bst of the last five years.
DolaBump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 07:29 PM   #3
astralhaze
College Prospect

It's not even CLOSE to the best movie of all time. Hell, I'm not even sure it is David Finchers best movie.
Old 02-08-2003, 07:32 PM   #4
DolaBump
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by astralhaze
It's not even CLOSE to the best movie of all time. Hell, I'm not even sure it is David Finchers best movie.

Out of curiosity, what would you rank as Fincher's best?

Personally, I would put Fight Club at the top w/Se7en a close second.
Old 02-08-2003, 07:35 PM   #5
astralhaze
College Prospect

I think Se7en was arguably a better film. They are both pretty close in my mind. The Game was also a very good film.
Old 02-08-2003, 09:12 PM   #6
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

See my signature, and previous others.

I think it goes without saying this is one of my favorite movies of all time. (You are not your fucking khakis!)

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Last edited by Marmel : 02-08-2003 at 09:13 PM.
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 09:47 PM   #7
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Awesome movie, awesome book, must have DVD!
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 10:22 PM   #8
Braggadocioussss
In The Penalty Box

I thought deliverance was a good movie.
Braggadocioussss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 11:47 PM   #9
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I think that Fight Club's power comes from its quotes where as Seven's power comes from its overall message and story, making it the far superior film in my opinion.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 01:25 AM   #10
astralhaze
College Prospect

Hmmm...I thought the best part about Fight Club was the plot/storyline as well as the directorial mischief (ie, the complete head fuck at the end, the brief Tyler Durden shots in single frames, etc)
Old 02-09-2003, 01:57 AM   #11
JeeberD
General Manager

I liked Se7en better than Fight Club, but that's just me...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 08:36 AM   #12
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

The first time I watched Fight Club, I didn't really pay any attention and missed the first five minutes, so the ending really blew my mind...but now i watch it all the time...Really great movie. As for the pot topic, i think it should be illegal to watch this movie sober, the little frames that are cut in are much scarier high... just my opinion.
Old 02-09-2003, 09:22 AM   #13
RoyalTen
n00b

I think Fight Club is far superior because i have watched what seems to be dozens of times, and i still havent fully grasped the whole concept. To me its just an amazing movie, with amazing quotes, an amazing storyline.
RoyalTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 10:13 AM   #14
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Maybe y'all could start just one thread devoted to favorite films...bumping a lot of other threads down the chain, and nobody is really saying much about any of the films anyway.

NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 10:36 AM   #15
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by NoMyths
Maybe y'all could start just one thread devoted to favorite films...bumping a lot of other threads down the chain, and nobody is really saying much about any of the films anyway.

I'm curious. What kind of discussion did you expect regarding film? As far as many of the OT threads go, I find this one very interesting. Sorry you don't feel the same.
Old 02-09-2003, 11:52 AM   #16
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally posted by samifan24
I'm curious. What kind of discussion did you expect regarding film? As far as many of the OT threads go, I find this one very interesting. Sorry you don't feel the same.

I just feel embarassed to reply to several threads about individual films instead of just being able to address films in general in a single thread...that way I can expand on ideas and such. When the board is cluttered with posts about single films, it seems too much like a post-bumper and not an actual discussion. Example: I replied in the Donnie Darko thread that I enjoyed the film. But I'd be embarassed to just say that in 10 threads. I'd rather my second post (about magnolia, say) come in the same thread as my Darko post. Seems less distasteful somehow.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 01:42 PM   #17
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by NoMyths
I just feel embarassed to reply to several threads about individual films instead of just being able to address films in general in a single thread...that way I can expand on ideas and such. When the board is cluttered with posts about single films, it seems too much like a post-bumper and not an actual discussion. Example: I replied in the Donnie Darko thread that I enjoyed the film. But I'd be embarassed to just say that in 10 threads. I'd rather my second post (about magnolia, say) come in the same thread as my Darko post. Seems less distasteful somehow.

Like you, I enjoy discussing film. That is all that should matter. It is obvious we are after the same intelligent discussion. As for the "distasteful" nature of thediscussion, I don't follow you. There are plenty of off-topic threads here; I fail to see what is so wrong with some film threads, especially since we are after the same thing.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:20 PM   #18
astralhaze
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by RoyalTen
I think Fight Club is far superior because i have watched what seems to be dozens of times, and i still havent fully grasped the whole concept. To me its just an amazing movie, with amazing quotes, an amazing storyline.

You haven't?
astralhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 11:37 PM   #19
DolaBump
Mascot

What I liked most about the movie was that it ultimately denounced the quotes and "radical" ideas that made it so "cool." Basically, in the end it was movie about growing up and finding a way of existing in the world. And that a woman kicked off this whole testosterone kick was just great.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:09 AM   #20
couriers

What is This?

I thought that this was the FOFC Fight Club rejuvenated. What a disappointment to find out that it is just a bunch of chatter surrounding a friggin movie.