Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-09-2003, 10:49 AM   #1
Tarkus
High School Varsity

New #1: Darko Milicic

Milicic has now been cleared to play in the NBA next year. If I had the #1 pick I'd take this guy in a heartbeat. 7'0" tall, great ballhandler, shoots threes, very quick, too quick for most power forwards, too big for most small forwards, runs the floor well, plays very good defense for his age, has long arms, jumps better than most his height, good court awareness, and smart. What more can you say? Whoever gets this guy is going to be one happy puppy for a long time.

Tarkus

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 10:50 AM   #2
McSweeny
College Starter

big plus for him over lebron is he's played against men for the past few years and not boys
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 11:25 AM   #3
sooner333
College Starter

I would take him as well, but you know that an NBA team cannot do that. It is simply about marketing and taking somebody other than James would be a PR disaster. He IS the next best thing right now. He IS going to be the next superstar...at least in the eyes of most. If he is taken second and becomes a star, the first team will be hated by its fans no matter how good Milicic is. If James sucks and the first team picks him, it will just be as if everyone was wrong...its not like the first team went out on a limb. Either way, its win-win for the team to pick James and lose-lose to pick Milicic. I'd rather have the number 2 pick this year.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 11:29 AM   #4
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by sooner333
I would take him as well, but you know that an NBA team cannot do that. It is simply about marketing and taking somebody other than James would be a PR disaster. He IS the next best thing right now. He IS going to be the next superstar...at least in the eyes of most. If he is taken second and becomes a star, the first team will be hated by its fans no matter how good Milicic is. If James sucks and the first team picks him, it will just be as if everyone was wrong...its not like the first team went out on a limb. Either way, its win-win for the team to pick James and lose-lose to pick Milicic. I'd rather have the number 2 pick this year.

I agree with you here.

Tarkus
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 11:39 AM   #5
cmp
Pro Rookie

Hopefully Memphis ends up with the 2nd pick in the draft, they would then have to give it up to Detroit. The Pistons would then take Milicic and win the NBA Finals next year.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 12:05 PM   #6
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

According to this link, Darco is only averaging 6 points and 3.5 boards in Europe.

He is a talent according to everyone, but probably a role player in his first year IMO.

Darco Link

Last edited by bosshogg23 : 02-09-2003 at 12:07 PM.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 12:19 PM   #7
mckerney
Coordinator

I'd take Milicic as well, 7 footer to play the 3 or 4, and from what I hear he's got a much better shot than James (despite the 52 James dropped the other night).

I'd take the 6-3.5 by a 17 year old who's playing in a pro league. Being an international player he's probably much better fundamentally, which is preferably to a flash player of the same talent level.

And as far as being a roleplayer the first year, I don't think too many people expect James to be much more as a rookie either.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 01:16 PM   #8
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Just imagine that at the same age, Tony Parker was averaging 3,9 pts and 1,7 Assists behind Laurent Sciarra in Paris
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 07:09 PM   #9
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by bosshogg23
According to this link, Darco is only averaging 6 points and 3.5 boards in Europe.

He is a talent according to everyone, but probably a role player in his first year IMO.

Yeah, but in Europe you don't play based on potential in most cases. You actually have to be better than the guy in front of you to get playing time. They take several years to make sure you develop fundamentals before throwing you out on the floor for 30 minutes a night.

I expect him to put up decent numbers if he gets playing time. He will already be more skilled than 95% of the big men in the league right now. As Yao, along with the Europeans have shown, there's more to basketball than dunking and throwing behind the back passes.

Last edited by The_herd : 02-09-2003 at 11:56 PM.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 09:21 PM   #10
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by The_herd
As Yao, along with the Europeans have shown, there's more to basketball than dunking and throwing behind the back passes.

Exactly, its the fundamentals the players from overseas learn while future NBA stars are on the playground working on behind the back passes and flashy dunks.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 10:04 PM   #11
Easy Mac

Yeah, it would be a marketing disaster, a white boy with the first pick 2 years in a row, that hasnt happened since 74-75.

I'd hate for the NBA to ruin its urban image while it consistently makes it so people in urban areas can't even afford to watch a game.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 10:07 PM   #12
JeeberD
General Manager

I didn't know that Chinese were considered white....

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 04:28 AM   #13
Alf
Pro Starter

LOL

Where does Darko play ? I follow the Euroleague of BasketBall closely and don't remember seeing him.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:09 AM   #14
cincyreds
High School Varsity

I was glad that Stern gave the approval for this kid to come over and play. Stern is a class act commish.

I don't think he will be the No.1 pick but definetly the No.2.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:14 AM   #15
Bee
Pro Starter

He might end up being a better player than James, but I would be shocked if he were drafted ahead of James. LeBron will bring to the team he's drafted by an instant superstar.

Milicic might win you a few more games, but James will sell out the arena every night. Sports is no longer about winning games, it's about making money.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote