Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-13-2004, 12:56 PM   #51
CentralMassHokie
High School JV

I actually use a TiVo *and* a VCR. Stupid networks putting on too many good shows Wednesdays at 9pm and Sundays from 8-11.

Chances are, once I move, I may spring for a second TiVo.

Absolutely, without a doubt, the best electronics investment I've made. Then again, I think TV is a vastly underrated entertainment/artistic medium. It's not all reality shows and crappy sitcoms (Everybody Loves Raymond, I'm looking at you).

CentralMassHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 01:05 PM   #52
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralMassHokie
I actually use a TiVo *and* a VCR. Stupid networks putting on too many good shows Wednesdays at 9pm and Sundays from 8-11.

Chances are, once I move, I may spring for a second TiVo.

Absolutely, without a doubt, the best electronics investment I've made. Then again, I think TV is a vastly underrated entertainment/artistic medium. It's not all reality shows and crappy sitcoms (Everybody Loves Raymond, I'm looking at you).

Dude, seriously, you need to get off your ass and get a life.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 01:07 PM   #53
Samdari
Roster Filler

Yeah, stop watching tv and spend more time sitting in front of your machine and play more text sims.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:12 PM   #54
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:

This is why I'm glad I have DirecTV, I can record two shows at once with their DVR. Of course since most of the shows I watch are on HBO, I can record them at various times using the West Coast HBO.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 01:14 PM   #55
Daimyo
College Starter

I don't know anyone who has used a TiVo who still thinks like MJ4H (and I know plenty who thought that way before trying it). My parents were the same way, but I got them one for Christmas and now they're hooked as much as anyone. It really is such a drastic change from pre-TiVo that you really can't even comprehend it until you try it. It is several orders of magnitude more than just a "digital VCR." There is a reason there are so many TiVo zealouts out there now...

Unless you watch absolutely no TV at all or value your time very minimally I guarantee you will love it within a week of usage.

Last edited by Daimyo : 04-13-2004 at 01:14 PM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 03:37 PM   #56
CentralMassHokie
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Dude, seriously, you need to get off your ass and get a life.

Says the man with 4000 posts.

I've got a life. I just like to multitask. I also don't sleep a whole lot. So it works out nicely. Plus the winter/spring we've had in the northeast hasn't made it terribly easy to get outside. Now that it's warming up, I'm ramping back up to running 5 miles a day.

The only thing that's suffered since I got a TiVo over a year ago is my fiction reading. I'm able to read non-fiction books with other stuff going on, but I can't process fiction for some reason.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:52 PM   #57
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralMassHokie
Says the man with 4000 posts.

I've got a life. I just like to multitask. I also don't sleep a whole lot. So it works out nicely. Plus the winter/spring we've had in the northeast hasn't made it terribly easy to get outside. Now that it's warming up, I'm ramping back up to running 5 miles a day.

The only thing that's suffered since I got a TiVo over a year ago is my fiction reading. I'm able to read non-fiction books with other stuff going on, but I can't process fiction for some reason.

You read non-fiction books while you watch TV?

Whatever, man... I was just giving you $hit for being the only person I've ever heard of that couldn't stand to miss a TV show so bad he had to get TWO tivo boxes...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 03:54 PM   #58
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
You read non-fiction books while you watch TV?

Whatever, man... I was just giving you $hit for being the only person I've ever heard of that couldn't stand to miss a TV show so bad he had to get TWO tivo boxes...

I think that's funny also. He's probably got like 3 ovens, 4 microwaves and 5 computers too. Never know when you'll want to extreme multitask.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:02 PM   #59
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo
I don't know anyone who has used a TiVo who still thinks like MJ4H (and I know plenty who thought that way before trying it).

Seriously, you won't convince me to buy it
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 05:07 PM   #60
CentralMassHokie
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
I think that's funny also. He's probably got like 3 ovens, 4 microwaves and 5 computers too. Never know when you'll want to extreme multitask.

Exactly. I sit here typing this, making an omelete, while running on my treadmill.

And it's all thanks to Tivo.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:02 PM   #61
cincyreds
High School Varsity

I don't understand why you are paying $700 for TIVO??

I paid $99 for mine and pay a monthly fee of $4.99 per mo.

But $700?? I think you are getting ripped!
Old 04-13-2004, 08:26 PM   #62
tucker342
Pro Starter

TiVo is the single greatest invention ever!
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 08:35 PM   #63
sabotai
General Manager

Guys, remember he bought the, at least I think it is, high-end modal of TiVo (the 140-hour one, for those who spent $99 or $199, how many hours does your TiVo hold?) ($400). Plus the lifetime subscription ($300) = $700

The life time subscript, if the service is $5 per month, is essentially a bet that he'll be using it and getting the service for 60 months, or 5 years. After 5 years, he'll end up "ahead" of those spending the monthly fee. Considering that TiVo has lasted this long and doesn't seem to have any trouble ahead, I'm not so sure that isn't a good bet to make.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 08:42 PM   #64
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
Guys, remember he bought the, at least I think it is, high-end modal of TiVo (the 140-hour one, for those who spent $99 or $199, how many hours does your TiVo hold?) ($400). Plus the lifetime subscription ($300) = $700

The life time subscript, if the service is $5 per month, is essentially a bet that he'll be using it and getting the service for 60 months, or 5 years. After 5 years, he'll end up "ahead" of those spending the monthly fee. Considering that TiVo has lasted this long and doesn't seem to have any trouble ahead, I'm not so sure that isn't a good bet to make.

Another thing to remember is that the TiVo service is more expensive if you just have a stand-alone version, I think its $11 or $12 a month. So that's even less time he needs to have it to pay it off.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 08:49 PM   #65
sabotai
General Manager

If that's the case, then he'll basically be paid off in just over 2 years. I think that's a bet I would easily take considering TiVo's success.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 09:07 PM   #66
Daimyo
College Starter

The lifetime subscription is based on the unit's life, not the owner's. I believe if you get the unit replaced under warranty they'll transfer the subscription to the new unit, but otherwise if you get a new unit you have to buy a new subscription (or pay the monthly fee).
Old 04-14-2004, 03:24 AM   #67
wade moore
lolzcat

On the money issue..

The $99 + $5 a month is only for the DirectTV version as DirectTV has a special deal with TiVO. But at the same time it is a TiVO series1, so you don't have some of the features that you get with the TiVO series2 that you get if you have cable.

So, for cable you pay for the unit (from $150-$300 [possibly more?|]) and then for the service ($12.50/month or $300 for lifetime). And Daimyo is right, the lifetime subscription is for the lifetime of the unit. Lifetime is not an option for DirectTV users.
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 03:51 AM   #68
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
The $99 + $5 a month is only for the DirectTV version as DirectTV has a special deal with TiVO. But at the same time it is a TiVO series1, so you don't have some of the features that you get with the TiVO series2 that you get if you have cable.

I didn't get the $99 deal, but I did get my DirecTivo at a reduced price through DirecTV, and it is definitely a series 2 Tivo.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 02:12 PM   #69
Ramzavail
College Starter

You won't realize how great it is until you have it.

I have replay TV, the low end model (40 hours, plenty for me and my gf). I spent 250 on the membership and paid 175 for the machine about a year ago.

Between commercial skipping and watching the shows I like to watch whenever I want - it is priceless and well worth the money.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 02:18 PM   #70
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
I didn't get the $99 deal, but I did get my DirecTivo at a reduced price through DirecTV, and it is definitely a series 2 Tivo.
Maybe William & Mary alums are just smarter than everyone else - I think all 3 of us on the board are in this thread praising TiVo

What is the difference between a Series 2 and a Series 1 TiVo? I paid $99 for mine and the montly $5 service fee...

As an aside - there is no shame in having two TiVo boxes. I would love to do that - sometimes you want to watch tv on the big box in the basement - sometimes you want to watch it while you are laying in bed...as has been pointed out previously, TiVo is much more than a video recorder.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 02:31 PM   #71
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Freevo!! http://freevo.sourceforge.net/about.html

The OpenSource solution or rather version of Tivo.

Turn a computer into your own DVR.

I have a spare box around, and i am in the process of converting it over. Love the fact, I have the 80 GB HD in it too.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:32 PM   #72
Daimyo
College Starter

I think the DirecTivo's are series 2 but they have a lot of the functionality turned off (ie USB ports, support for an external NIC, Home Media Option, etc).
Old 04-14-2004, 02:41 PM   #73
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

TIVO IS HERE!!! I ordered it Monday afternoon and it arrives Wed. afternoon from bestbuy.com on free shipping! WOW!!!

It's setting up right now. I'll post some impressions once I get over the shock of actually owning a kickass device. This is the biggest purchase I've made in my whole life Gotta get ready before it's done phoning stuff in. GO TIVO!!!
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 02:48 PM   #74
j51
Mascot

I just ordered one from Directv for $39, comes on Friday

Trying to furiously switch between Bush's speech, NBA, NHL playoffs & baseball last night was the killer
j51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 03:18 PM   #75
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Quick question: with only one cable line going into TiVo, will it be able to record AND allow me to watch TV simultaneously? I was thinking the answer was yes, but reading the books and setup stuff I'm not so sure. If it is possible, this post is unnecessary

Interesting stuff. It's finishing the setup stuff now. It'll be able to record in 4-8 hours. So we'll see.

I'm having issues getting my setup configured. I'm using the book and my noggin to think of a good way to set up my living room.

I have:
Cable Splitter
TiVo
VCR
3 Game Systems
An A/V splitter box (one A/V goes in and three more A/V things plug into it. It has a knob)

I want to hook all of these things up and I'm getting close to a solution. The thing I want most right now, is to be able to have two separate cable signals going on so I can watch one thing and record another (so my roomy can watch anything he wants while I record). I thought of a way to do this, but it involves using the A/V splitter, and that would be a pain to use each time one wanted to switch from TiVo to surfing via VCR.

We'll see what happens. I'm gonna check out TiVo's website.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:31 PM   #76
Ramzavail
College Starter

With replay TV, you cannot watch one channel and let it record another channel - you must watch what you are recording. Im not sure if Tivo is different or any newer versions are different.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 04:48 PM   #77
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
of which I have been an ardent supporter for years

/adds Samdari to buddy list.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:11 PM   #78
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Okay, I have my TiVo, VCR, and 2 game systems hooked up (I can rotate the third in as needed). The TiVo will be taking 4-8 hours to setup the program list and stuff. But it seems pretty sweet already. I can't access the "season pass" thing yet, but I already set it up to manually record 5 shows for today Later tonight I will fiddle with the season pass stuff. I wrote down a list of the twelve shows I want to put on it.

Pausing live TV is so so cool. I just need to get myself on a one-day delay on the syndicated simpsons/family guy shows. That will help immensely. Then I won't be trying to watch it live.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:59 PM   #79
rufusjonz
Banned

From what i hear, this device and others of its type is similar to cell phones were a few years ago... you don't see the point in paying for it, til you have it, then it becomes ESSENTIAL.
rufusjonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:03 PM   #80
MJ4H
Coordinator

coincidentally, i use my cell phone next to NEVER. contrary to what people are saying here, i am 100% i would find tivo nearly useless aside from the neato factor.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 11:38 PM   #81
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Yeah! I don't need oxygen! All the rest of you can have it! I'll stick with what I've got! HUZZAH!
Old 04-15-2004, 12:11 AM   #82
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, TiVo is quite possibly the coolest thing ever. I was semi-confused on some of their lingo (repeats vs duplicate episodes), but now I have it together. And skipping through commercials is SWEET!!! I mean, Chappelle's show is awesome, but 10-12 minutes of commercials. Zipped through them in 3 seconds. And law and order...one of my fav shows...has FOUR minutes of commercials at each break. Not anymore

Seriously, I have 17 "season passes" and my roomy has 4. The TiVo will be recording something 10-12 hours a day. I don't watch near that much TV (usually ), but something will always be there if I wanna watch it. I even put baseball tonight and PTI on my TiVo. I tried SportsCenter, but that made the schedule crazy. Plus, there's a 50% chance that SC is on when I'm TV'ing anyway.

If you're thinking of getting TiVo AND can afford it, I'd highly recommend it. And I've only had it for ten hours
Old 04-15-2004, 03:23 AM   #83
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe William & Mary alums are just smarter than everyone else - I think all 3 of us on the board are in this thread praising TiVo

What is the difference between a Series 2 and a Series 1 TiVo? I paid $99 for mine and the montly $5 service fee...

As an aside - there is no shame in having two TiVo boxes. I would love to do that - sometimes you want to watch tv on the big box in the basement - sometimes you want to watch it while you are laying in bed...as has been pointed out previously, TiVo is much more than a video recorder.

I think you hit the nail on the head, we're just smarter

Series1 vs Series2 is features. The main things I can think of are that you have a USB jack for a NIC, Home Media Options is available, and a small but CRUCIAL thing to me is that I can put my shows in seperate folders by show.. so when I look at my now playing list I see one instance for each show and then I can arrow right to see each episode.. I look at my brother's TiVO (DirecTivo) and it is horrid to see so many things cluttering the now playing list..

But Daimyo could be right, that it is a Series2 with many features disabled.. but that still kind of stinks..

On that note.. anyone had any experience with the Home Media Option? I've been considering it but have not takent he plunge.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:07 AM   #84
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu
I want to hook all of these things up and I'm getting close to a solution. The thing I want most right now, is to be able to have two separate cable signals going on so I can watch one thing and record another (so my roomy can watch anything he wants while I record). I thought of a way to do this, but it involves using the A/V splitter, and that would be a pain to use each time one wanted to switch from TiVo to surfing via VCR.

I am assuming the TiVO unit has two inputs?

With regular analog cable, you should be able to split the raw cable input using a normal splitter and then feed both splitter outputs to the two TiVO inputs. If you have digital cable, requiring a decoder before the TiVO, the decoder is only capable of putting out one analog signal at a time, so there is no way of getting two signal to your DVR (except getting another cable box).
Old 04-15-2004, 08:09 AM   #85
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorsoccersim
Freevo!! http://freevo.sourceforge.net/about.html

The OpenSource solution or rather version of Tivo.

Turn a computer into your own DVR.

I have a spare box around, and i am in the process of converting it over. Love the fact, I have the 80 GB HD in it too.

Actually, I have a similar feature with my ATI All in Wonder video card. It has great software that works just like TIVO. However, I find myself never really using it. The whole process is just too cumbersome.

1. Who really wants to watch TV on their computer?

2. Sure, you could burn the show to CD-RW and play it on a DVD player, but again, the whole process isn't seamless, and more of a chore.

Its very much similar to the MLB.TV situation. MTV.TV is much better than MLB Extra Innings on paper, but until broadband starts going directly to TV's, its not going to be very useful.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 08:17 AM   #86
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980
Actually, I have a similar feature with my ATI All in Wonder video card. It has great software that works just like TIVO. However, I find myself never really using it. The whole process is just too cumbersome.

1. Who really wants to watch TV on their computer?

2. Sure, you could burn the show to CD-RW and play it on a DVD player, but again, the whole process isn't seamless, and more of a chore.

Its very much similar to the MLB.TV situation. MTV.TV is much better than MLB Extra Innings on paper, but until broadband starts going directly to TV's, its not going to be very useful.

You don't have to watch the stuff on your computer. The AIW card has at least S-Video and component outputs - you should be able to record to your computer and watch on your tv.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:43 AM   #87
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
You don't have to watch the stuff on your computer. The AIW card has at least S-Video and component outputs - you should be able to record to your computer and watch on your tv.

True, but still you're connected to that mouse and keyboard. What do you do if the computer and TV aren't in the same room? You could watch the show fine, but what about fast forwarding through commercials?

I've also heard through a few sources that the video isn't the same quality when exporting from Media Player or whatever you use to watch mpg's/avi's
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 10:26 AM   #88
BigPitt
n00b

Splitter

I just got PVR through cable and I am not up on all the technical stuff involved but when the installer came I asked if I could watch a program and record something else.

His answer of NO set me back but upon further discussion he checked my TV and said being a newer TV (actually 3 years old) he could use a splitter and fix it so I could do the above.The only restriction was that I could not watch a channel over 90 while recording another channel.Suits me.I only watch the golf channel in that category anyway.

Now with only 50 hours capacity this may not be as large as some but it costs me only $8.95 a month.No install fee.No unit to buy.
BigPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 02:34 PM   #89
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I would have done cable's DVR, except around here you have to have the super-expensive cable package. And no way in hell I was gonna do that.

I have season passes to so many shows, and it's recording all the time...why I just watched Price is Right after I woke up...at 2:30 PM!!! Words cannot express how cool that is. I love TPIR, but I'm never awake for it.

I HEART TIVO!!!
Old 04-15-2004, 05:27 PM   #90
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
TiVo2 has The main things I can think of are that you have a USB jack for a NIC,

FWIW, you can crack your TiVo series 1 open and install a nic.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 05:29 PM   #91
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkenst
FWIW, you can crack your TiVo series 1 open and install a nic.

I know.. the USB thing is just about ease of use.