Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-29-2004, 01:03 AM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Anyone have one of those Skip Dr. DVD Scratch repairer thingys?

A few of my DVD's have some not so nice scratches on them. I was wondering if one of those 30-50 dollar Skip dr things like this one. I know it wont take all the scratches, but is it worth it?

Next step is to keep my wife from letting our 5 year old use the DVD player

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 01:35 AM   #2
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I had a game dr. it looked exactly like that, and worked solidly for all cds dvds and ps2 games. it usually fixed em to where they worked again.
Old 02-29-2004, 02:24 AM   #3
Hurst2112
College Starter

I would say that it is worth it. The other option you have is to go to a used CD store. Usually, they have machines like the game dr...or electronic version that will buff the scraches out for you. They tend to charge aroun 2-3 bucks per disc. Possibly a solution if you don't have too many scratched discs.

Remember that it is better to scratch the bottom of the disc than the top. The top is where the reflective coating is placed. With this coating gone, the laser can't reflect. SO, teach your 5 year old that for the future.

Thank the media gods that you don't have a reel to reel in use...hehe
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 02:31 PM   #4
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Well worth the investment. I've had one for a couple of years, have managed to save quite a few audio CDs and a couple of PC CD-Roms that way.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 05:35 PM   #5
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
Remember that it is better to scratch the bottom of the disc than the top. The top is where the reflective coating is placed. With this coating gone, the laser can't reflect.
Besides which, I think in pressed CDs it carries the data. (In at least some CD-Rs, the coating is just reflective, the data is carried in dye that lies between the plastic and the reflective material, something I've observed when I've destroyed CD-Rs by cutting through the plastic and then ripping off the label.)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote