Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-31-2004, 02:44 PM   #101
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

OK thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:37 PM   #102
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but it seems the division winner tie breakers are wrong.

In 2006, my Browns and the Bungles finished 9-7. they split the two games. Divisional records were both 4-2. The conference mark was Cincy 6-6, Cleveland 8-4. The game gave the divisional title to Cincy. Why?

If the combined scores of the games counted, the Browns won, 59-37.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 01:16 AM   #103
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I had a late round player breakout on me and become a starter. With two years left on his contract, he held out for big $$. I offered to cap out his current offer, and he accepted it and ended his holdout.

I am not saying that this is a bug, but I do feel like I got out of the holdout pretty cheaply. If you can always end holdouts by capping out an offer, that is probably not a good thing (though it is very easy to work around).
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 02:20 AM   #104
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but it seems the division winner tie breakers are wrong.

In 2006, my Browns and the Bungles finished 9-7. they split the two games. Divisional records were both 4-2. The conference mark was Cincy 6-6, Cleveland 8-4. The game gave the divisional title to Cincy. Why?

If the combined scores of the games counted, the Browns won, 59-37.

Not a bug. Conference record has nothing to do with divisional tiebreakers. After the divisional record, the next tie breaker is record against all common opponents. Check this in your game, and my guess is it was done correctly.

Edit: Conference record does play a role but only after the common games tiebreaker.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 02-01-2004 at 02:22 AM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 10:18 AM   #105
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Yes. The games in common went Browns 0-3, Cincy 1-2. Which is a real 'huh?" since they were games against the NFC. In essence, games against non conference rivals count more than ones against conference rivals. A bit strange, IMO.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
Old 02-01-2004, 10:21 AM   #106
stevew
Hall Of Famer

When you make a 7 year offer in Multiplayer FA, the computer only recognizes the first 6 years. This is a pretty big bug.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 04:23 PM   #107
RedKingGold
College Starter

Stevew,

Are you using the latest patch? I thought Jim fixed this with the latest patch. I used to see that bug, but I think he fixed it

Mike
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 05:33 AM   #108
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I had this problem for a second time, and I *think* it may be related to saving a game *during* the staff hiring phase and then reloading it later. At any rate, the problem is a severe one: no draftees available. It stops your career right then and there.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:35 AM   #109
Flasch186
Coordinator

ugh

ugh that would suck, could you not import a file though to save it?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 12:16 AM   #110
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Can we please have it so when you lock a player or players, they stay locked after saving the game? I hate having to do it over and over after loading my season each day.

Thanks,

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 03:13 AM   #111
T-Storm
n00b

It'd be nice if the enter-keys behaved like the space key and not like the esc-key.
Also the esc key doesn't work as it should (closing the menu) in the "sign drafted rookie players"-window.
T-Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 06:45 AM   #112
amdaily
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Storm
It'd be nice if the enter-keys behaved like the space key and not like the esc-key.
Also the esc key doesn't work as it should (closing the menu) in the "sign drafted rookie players"-window.
Yes it would! They used to, I don't know what changed their behavior in 2K4.

Last edited by amdaily : 02-19-2004 at 06:45 AM.
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 07:48 AM   #113
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Let me add this multiplayer bug:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/f...ad.php?t=21767

To recap, when Training Camp is run in a multiplayer league, the scouts go through and decide for the human teams if they should be running a 3-4 or a 4-3, and then switch the DTs and LBs to appropriate positions if it thinks there should be a switch. Most of these position switches don't involve a loss of potential, but do incur a slight experience penalty, so you lose a bit because of the switch, and a bit more if you decide to switch back.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:59 AM   #114
Ben E Lou

Is it just me who is speculating that this will be the "patch to end all patches?"
Old 02-19-2004, 08:04 AM   #115
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Observation: It seems the AI will lean on the single back formation a little too much, even when it has a great run blocking fullback. It is hard to pinpoint it just feels that way.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:43 AM   #116
Ben E Lou

I am beginning to think there is a problem with QB's not being drafted early enough. For example, this guy fell to 1(13), despite having the highest adjusted rating in the entire draft:

I know he's only 21% developed, but still--13th???

It may be that there are too many half-decents ones in the draft pool, but that's just speculation. Point being, I think it needs to be looked at.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:46 AM   #117
Ben E Lou

More on this point, in a current test career, in 37 drafts, a QB has gone #1 overall only once.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:47 AM   #118
wheels
Creative Director, Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
I am beginning to think there is a problem with QB's not being drafted early enough. For example, this guy fell to 1(13), despite having the highest adjusted rating in the entire draft:

I know he's only 21% developed, but still--13th???

It may be that there are too many half-decents ones in the draft pool, but that's just speculation. Point being, I think it needs to be looked at.

now that's one strong qb!
wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 09:06 AM   #119
T-Storm
n00b

Not a bug, but a tweak that I'd like to see:
Being able to change a players position more often than 3 times.
Ok, I know why this had to be implemented (maxing out line backers by continously switching them ilb-olb-ilb-olb etc.) but this is just a factor during their rookie and maybe sophomore year.
veterans don't gain potential if you try that trick, do they?
So it might be helpful to be able to switch a players position 3 times every 2 years or something? I think that would solve some problems - especially in multiplayer leagues.

And another little thing bugging me, that might already have been reported:
The ai often recommands veteran players, that are starters as kick/punt returners.
Example: I have no player that has more than a 0 for kick returning. I hit the recommend button and quite often I find my starting cornerback of 10 years slotted as the primary or secondary kick returner. But he has no kick return ratings and this just increases the injury risk unnecesarrily.
I think veteran players, that have no ability as returners shouldn't be slotted, especially not if they are starters.
And I believe to have read somewhere that they shouldn't be slotted that way by the ai anyway. So I'd categorize that as a bug that needs to be fixed.
I never ever want to see my starting cornerback with a rating of 0 at punt/kick returns to return a kick or punt.

And I agree about QBs being taken to late and there being to many half decent QBs.
And FBs are to predictably in the draft. While this has been improved I bit (at least I believe it has) it's still rather predictable that no FB will be taken below the 3rd round, and no more than 2 FBs Until the 3rd round is over.
And I think the HoF criteria for FBs, TEs and Punters should be adjusted slightly downward.
T-Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 10:29 AM   #120
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

This has been a gripe for me since my first version of FOF (and includes TCY).

The save game system needs to allow a 'sort' function. I have multiple careers going and I like to be able to go back and pick them up. But the saved game list is fixed in the sequence in which the games were saved and can't be sorted by either team name or save date. This means I give up on careers just because its hard to sift through the saves and remind myself of previous seasons, draft analysis and various decisions.

So I give up, delete it all, and start again, rather than continue with a career I like.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:30 AM   #121
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants
This has been a gripe for me since my first version of FOF (and includes TCY).

The save game system needs to allow a 'sort' function. I have multiple careers going and I like to be able to go back and pick them up. But the saved game list is fixed in the sequence in which the games were saved and can't be sorted by either team name or save date. This means I give up on careers just because its hard to sift through the saves and remind myself of previous seasons, draft analysis and various decisions.

So I give up, delete it all, and start again, rather than continue with a career I like.

you're right, this really would be a great help.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 10:56 AM   #122
Buzzbee
College Starter

I'm curious. Aren't the save game files somewhere in the Universe folder? If so, wouldn't it be possible (although a bit of a pain to do it every single time) to go into Windows Explorer and manually sort the files based on name? Seems like doing this should adjust the way the files are displayed in the Load Game window. You could conceivably only do it every once in a while, or when you are looking for a specific game to load.

Don't have the game at work, so can't test it.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:28 PM   #123
Samdari
Roster Filler

Don't see this mentioned in this thread, but have seen it elsewhere, and it just reared its ugly head twice in week 2 in the IHOF. In multiplayer, starting QBs get benched often, despite having high playing time ratings. The indicence of this is much higher than in the regular season games in single player. Just a thought - is the reg season of muliplayer using the preseason logic for player replacement?
Old 02-20-2004, 03:29 AM   #124
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
Let me add this multiplayer bug:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/f...ad.php?t=21767

To recap, when Training Camp is run in a multiplayer league, the scouts go through and decide for the human teams if they should be running a 3-4 or a 4-3, and then switch the DTs and LBs to appropriate positions if it thinks there should be a switch. Most of these position switches don't involve a loss of potential, but do incur a slight experience penalty, so you lose a bit because of the switch, and a bit more if you decide to switch back.

Make sure your commissioner has the option set to not allow computer coaches to set game plans. Those options must be set on the commissioners computer, and must be set with the multi-player window open.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 03:33 AM   #125
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Is it just me who is speculating that this will be the "patch to end all patches?"

You mean I can quit when this one is done? What if something comes up?

One thing I've learned about this business is that nothing is certain other than the mass market's dislike of games that make you think a little.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 04:12 AM   #126
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
One thing I've learned about this business is that nothing is certain other than the mass market's dislike of games that make you think a little.

That's sig material!
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 04:31 AM   #127
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
You mean I can quit when this one is done? What if something comes up?

1. That's not *exactly* what I meant by that (and I know you won't quit if something major comes up). I was more saying that there's so much good about this game that the fine-tuning that I suspect will happen with this patch is *REALLY* going to take it to the next level.

2. Neal Boortz puts it thusly: they're not called the "dumb masses" for nuthin'.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 02-20-2004 at 04:32 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 06:39 AM   #128
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
Make sure your commissioner has the option set to not allow computer coaches to set game plans. Those options must be set on the commissioners computer, and must be set with the multi-player window open.

That option is turned off. I turned off all options that let the computer do anything when we started the league, and verified they were still off when we ecountered the issue.

It looks like at this stage of the game when it's done running the training camp, the scout sets the depth chart for all teams. All the AI teams signed a bunch of undrafted FAs to get to roster minimums, for example, and I now have all my starters set for me. Maybe had I set a depth chart this would not have happened, but I wasn't expecting to set my starters until the next turn when exhibition week 1 runs.

Last edited by gstelmack : 02-20-2004 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Clarifications
gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 07:07 AM   #129
Subby
lolzcat

In multi-player there is no way to save your depth chart and roster changes - so if your computer crashes before you export you lose all of the work...
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 01:43 PM   #130
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
I'm curious. Aren't the save game files somewhere in the Universe folder? If so, wouldn't it be possible (although a bit of a pain to do it every single time) to go into Windows Explorer and manually sort the files based on name? Seems like doing this should adjust the way the files are displayed in the Load Game window. You could conceivably only do it every once in a while, or when you are looking for a specific game to load.

Don't have the game at work, so can't test it.

These aren't normal Windows files with nifty names. The in-game name does not exist in the file name.

The file names are numbers:

00000222.fga

for example. Which one is which career is less than obvious.