Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-21-2004, 01:35 AM   #201
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"This week a battered Central Michigan travels to Ypsilani to take on their cross state competetion in Eastern Michigan. Broderick Corbitt and the Eastern Eagles fight for another BCS berth, today, on TV5"

"Excerpts from Abe Sargent's Journal: The Middle Years"
Copyright 2033

Week 7 - CENTRAL MICHIGAN (we are only favored by 24)

We have eight recruits visiting this week. I just call them up and visit and try to swoon them. No major problems.

Then the game. We beat the spread and pitch a shutout 34-0. Looks nice.

Broderick has his first pedestrian game of the season - 19 carries, 64 yards. Pat Pierce was surgical with 3 TDs, no picks.

Bo Willis had a sack and a half, Watson and Malone had picks.

We bring in a receiver and guard, but that TE gem goes to Wisconsin.

Big jump in the polls this week - AP #6, Coach's #5. #2 in the computers, #3 in the overall rankings. Excellent.

As you can tell, there were a few losers last week. Ohio State lost to Wisconsin. Two losses esentially removes them from the Championship Contention.

Boston College beat previously undefeted Syracuse. South Carolina beat previously unbeaten Georgia. Arizona beat previously unbeaten USC. The chips are starting to fall. Can you feel it?

"Former MAC power Marshall relinquished all rights to the title when Eastern Michigan put on a football clinic. At 5-0, Eastern seeks its third consecutive BCS Bowl berth and fourth straight undefeated regular season. 3-2 Marshall seeks respect and redemption. The only place to start is with the Eagles. The Thundering Herd storm into town to take on the Eagles, next, on TV3"

Copyright 2033

Week 8 - MARSHALL (we are favored by 7)

There are 11 recruits visiting us this week and I need to go find a TE. I find a pair of Tight End candidates - one from Illinois, the other from California.

After that, I call up my recruits. Make them feel wanted.

The big game is next. Although, it's not so big now. We beat MArshall and they are 3-3 on the season. Sure, they would have lost to Arizona and Miami of Ohio, both highly touted teams, but they'd still not help us unless they could rally against the rest of the MAC East schedule, which is not too far from reality.

Still, we circled Marshall at the beginning of the year, and now we have them. Time to remind them why they are no longer the class of the MAC. I grew up in Southern West Virginia. Oh, I want Marshall.

49-20 says I have them

Broderick Corbitt had 178 yards rushing on 21 carries, 4 TDs, 10 catches, 95 yards.

Pierce launched 358 yards of distance. 122 of those yards anda TD went to Kuntz. Shanks caught the other passing score.

S Scottie Cyrus picked off Marshall and 75 yards later was in the endzone. Backup safety Mercury Bennett added a pick. Taylor with a pair of sacks. Good day!

We pulled in a C and an OLB.

We do have two major injuries.

WR Rob Shanks is doubtful with a sprained knee. He could be out for several weeks.

OLB Pat Jenkins is out for a few weeks with a severe wrist sprain.

Starting in their places are senior OLB Norbert Chandler and sophomore WR Dwayne Humphrey.

We rose to number 2 in the overall rankings, #2 in the computer, but fell one spot in each poll. Number 3 in the rankings? Fresno State.

"Eastern Michigan travels to a surprising Ball State. At 4-2, Ball State has begun to rise out of the MAC basement and towards respect. Is this a temporary anomaly, or is Ball State the next MAC power? If they can defeat Eastern Michigan, they can lay claim to being on the cusp of greatness. Eastern Michigan, meanwhile, is trying to solidfy its hold on the Number Two BCS spot. Find out who will survive, tonight, on TV3"

Copyright 2033

Week 9 - at Ball State (4-2) (we are favored by 19)

This is our first unsuspectedly difficult game. With WMU sort of faltering, you hoped that another team would rise from the ashes. But Ball State?

In recruiting, I simply call up our recruits. No big deal. I also make an offer to a second receiver.

Another shutout, this time on the road. 31-0. The Eagle-naut is rolling!

Broderick Corbitt, 100 yards rushing, 31 carries, 1 TD, 10 receptions, 98 yards, 1 TD.

Pat Pierce threw three strikes - Corbitt, Humphrey and Gonzalez. Humphrey had 156 yards receiving. Good idea to start him, eh?

Seevral sacks, but we never forced a turnover. Usually you do when you shutout a team, but nope.

Another injury - T Charlie Maxwell is doubtful for a few weeks with a pulled groin. Starting for him is Emmanuel Morris.

We are now number one in the computers!

We bring in that safety from Kentucky but miss out on our QB and an ILB.

"As Eastern Michigan's trek across the MAC resembles Sherman's march through the south, each team knows that, if they can defeat the vaunted Eagles, accolades shall be theirs. Each win makes that task more and more daunting. Northern Illinois is next on the menu as the Eagles take their show on the road, this Saturday, only on TV4"

Copyright 2033

Week 10 - at Northern Illinois (we are favored by 25)

I make offers to a QB and ILB pretty quickly. It's always easy to find QBs who fall through the cracks, difficult to find busy positions like linebacker. Pretty quick week.

Ideally, I'd like to defeat Northern Illinois like I have the with the other MAC competetion, but I wouldn't be surprised if NI plays us the best that any MAC school has this year so far.

And I was right. We won, 27-11. Not a great win, but a win.

OLB Alan Watson returned a pick 33 yards for a TD.

Broderick had 118 yards on the ground, 75 in the air, and 2 TDs one each in teh air and on the ground.

Capshaw missed two FGs. Ick.

Blake Tanner had another pair of sacks.

DE Any Ross is out for a month or so with an abdominal strain. Blake Tanner will get the start while Clyde Segal will play on passing downs.

We brought in five recruits this week. WR, OT, ILB, OLB, and CB. Excellent.

Number one in the computers. We are number one in four of the polls, so we are number one overall by a lot.

#5 in each poll.

Texas lost this week, so we are number 1 in the rankings!!!!!

U of M is right behind us. We are just .13 behind Michigan but we are both ahead of Texas by four points - a solid lead.

Only us and Georgia Tech remain unbeaten. Everything is coming together nicely.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 02:11 AM   #202
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"Number one in the BCS and computers is Eastern Michigan, a new position for them as the favorite to go to the Fiesta Bowl. With three games left, and two against teams with just win each, Eastern has two obstacles to overcome. Traveling to cross state rival, fellow MAC West power and 5-3 Western Michigan, and then the MAC Championship game later this year against likely MAC East victor Miami of Ohio. Can the Eagles make in 9-0 on the road in their toughest road game since Fresno State? Find out, next, only on TV2"

Copyright 2033

Week 11 - at Western Michigan (we are favored by 21)

Nothing in recruiting. Some phone calls and that's it.

So the real stuff is the game. We defeat WMU 34-24. Not the outstanding game I was hoping for, but a victory nonetheless.

Broderick Corbitt had 113 yards on 29 carries and a TD. Add 91 yards receiving.

Kuntz caught a TD.

Both Tyrus Bernstein and Wade Hoke picked off WMU and returned them long distance for scores. We would have lost otherwise. Tyrus ran his back 81 yards and Wade his back 79 yards. Bennett and Boss had picks as well as WMU just sprayed balls everywhere.

Blake Tanner responded to his first start with 2.5 sacks. Tyrus Bernstein fored and recovered a fumble. Also pretty good.

DE Clyde Segal is also injured, out for several weeks with a pulled quad.

However, Charlie Maxwell has been upgraded to probable and will start in two weeks. We'll see who else is ready then. I may have to start another DE if Andy Ross isn't ready to go by then.

We brought in a QB, TE, and ILB.

This week moved us to #2 in the rankings, but Michigan and us etched even closer to the top.

Week 12 - Bye

We have a bye week to rest a few injured players. Hopefully some will be ready post-Bye.

All we have left is a DE and QB, but we have just one spot remaining. So I rescind our offer to the QB.

We bring in our DE this week. Florida lost again, their second one. Marshall couldn't win, and Miami of Ohio is the East Champion early.

We move ahead of Michigan again for the top overall ranking. We move to #4 in each poll with Florida's second loss. With our DE recruit, all recruiting is complete.

Week 13 - BOWLING GREEN (we are favored by 36. That's funny)

Yale is 7-3, and I'd like to see them 8-3 on the season. Fresno State is above us in the polls. Stanford is 8-2 and I'd like them to be 9-2 on the season. Just in case something odd happens, I want the best Strength of Schedule possible. You never know when Texas might try a last second surge with a championship game.

Boht of our receivers have been upgraded to probable and will start. So has OLB Pat Jenkins. DE Tyrone Stone will start for us, a pretty decent backup.

We win 34-7. No beating the spread for us. Still a good game nevertheless.

Broderick Corbitt with 21 carries for 148 yards, 1 TD.

Pat Pierce with 2 TDs, one each to Kuntz and Shanks. Pretty standard game all told.

Injuries:

Rob Shanks aggravated his injury and is doubtful for a while.

I root hard for Oklahoma to knock off Texas, but they barely lose 28-25. Yale wins to go to 8-3, Stanford wins to go to 9-2.

MICHIGAN LOST. Texas is now in number two and we are far past them in the rankings, especially since we are now #3 in both Polls. Above us? #1 Fresno State and #2 Texas.

Georgia Tech lost and we are the only undefeated team in the country. Miami of Ohio lost, but it probably doesn't matter now.

"Favored by an amazing 40 points this week, the nation's last undefeated team hosts their rival. Eastern Michigan looks to sweep the MAC and Toledo looks for respect, today, on TV5"

Copyright 2033

Week 14 - TOLEDO (we are favored by 40!)

Our largest favor yet.

However, Toledo makes a serious game of it - 38-41. We had to score two TDs in the last 7 minutes of regulation to win. Here is why we won:

Broderick Corbitt, 27 carries, 239 yards, 2 TDs, 57 yards receiving, 1 TD

Gino Gonzalez had 156 yards receiving on 7 catches. And two TDs. Bo Willis with a sack and a half. Wade Hoke with a pick.

Texas really caught up to us in the rankings. Although we are still number one, they are 0.16 ahead of us. Still, as long as we are number 2, who cares?

-Anxiety

Old 01-21-2004, 02:21 AM   #203
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The MAC CHAMPIONSHIP

Miami of Ohio is 9-2 on the season. Upsetting loses to Gerogia and Buffalo could be redeemed by an upset victory here tonight. Miami of Ohio is currently #14 in the AP Poll, #12 in the Coach's Poll.

But they'll run into the "Eagle-naut" tonight. For the past few years, both of these teams have met in the MAC Championship. Eastern has won every time. In fact, Eastern Michigan, witha win tonight, will likely be the first MAC team ever to play for a National Championship.

Each teams has something to play for as the Eastern Eagles host Miami of Ohio, today, on TV3

Week 15 - MIAMI OF OHIO (We are favored by 8)

This is our last obstacle. Defeat M of O and achieve a dream. Lose, and live with regret for the rest of a lifetime. We are the better team, we are the home team, we should emerge victorious. Should. Emerge. Victorious.

EMU only 21 points

Miami of Ohio only 10 points.

Broderick Corbitt, 28 carries, 247 yards, 2 TDs. Is he stoppable? Prior to this week he led the NCAA Div 1-A.........in receptions! Number two in rushing yards, number one in rushing TDs.

Pierce tossed a TD to Kuntz but three picks stymied our team all day long.

Texas surpassed us in the overall standings, but who cares. WE ARE GOING TO THE FIESTA BOWL!!!! And Ypsilanti erupts and their hatred of Ann Arbor burns and people torch stuff and throw it in downtown Ann Arbor. Silly freakin' liberals with all of your anti-smoking laws and your hyper-environmentalism and your sheer elitism. Take that!

-Anxiety

Old 01-21-2004, 02:26 AM   #204
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Other MAC teams in Bowls:

Motor City Bowl: Washington State vs Miami of Ohio
Peach Bowl: Georgia vs Marshall

Incidentally, Stanford is playing Michigan in the Sugar Bowl and Fresno State is up against Georgia Tech in the Orange Bowl. Scheduling two power teams really helped!

Miami of Ohio loses. Marshall wins.

Fresno State wins, Stanford loses.

-Anxiety

Old 01-21-2004, 02:47 AM   #205
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Hello Everybody and welcome to today's game. We have a great matchup for you today on TV1 as the Eastern Michigan University Eagles will play the Texas Longhorns.

It's been a long road to this game for the eagles. They had three previous undefeated regular seasons before getting to polay this game. Twice, they ended the regular season ranked #3 in the overall rankings. This day has been a long day coming for the Eagles. And their leader Broderick Corbitt.

This running back leads the NCAA in rushing yards, rushing TDs and receptions. Broderick is the sort of X Factor back that you might see rarely in the NFL, like Marshall Faulk. Hailing from Deming, New Mexico, the Eagles took a flyer on him. Yet Broderick took the trip all the way from New Mexico to Michigan, and now to the Fiesta Bowl. Ranked #107 by Rivals.com, ranked the 11th best back in the country, Broderick watched as other running backs were picked up by more prestigious schools.

In came Eastern Michigan, and the rest is history. EMU quarterback Pat Pierce know sa bit about adversity. Over the past four years, Pat Pierce and Artie Brown split the QB duties, each having 24 starts. This year, Pat has been behind the helm completely, and has thrown the fourth most yards this year in Div 1-A. This team truly loves to beat opponents both ways. No one, not even Fresno State at home, has beaten these Eagles.

In fact, the Eagles are 2 point FAVORITES, yes I said favorites, to win this game, and all of America has started to root for them. They are the classic underdog story,m the classic underdog team, and yet, here is a regional school from Detroit, playing on college football's biggest stage. The Eagles are the only remaining undefeated team. And all of their injured players are rested and starting today.

But, let's not forget about Texas. Texas has won this Fiesta Bowl twice, and they've played in a lot more bigger games than the Eagles have. This is Texas's fourth appearance on TV1 this year, this is Eastern Michigan's first.

Texas has a pretty good quarterback in Gene Newton, the junior from Houston. He'll have to play well to avoid the Eagles corner tandem of Wade Hoke and Ed Boss. Wade was All-Amercain Second Team last year and led the league in picks a year ago. Ed Boss was on the MAC team. And Defensive Tackle Bo Willis is an expert at collapsign the pocket and stopping the run.

The Texas is normally led by DE Kelvin Lincoln, who has 14.5 sacks on the season. Tragically, he was injured in the Big 12 Championship Game and will not play tonight.

Texas's whole year has been wraught with problems. One of the best DTs in the nation, Robert Keys, on academic suspension. One of the best receivers in the nation, Scottie Keys, suspended for the season for shoplifting. OT Terry Ingram, again, one of the best in the country, out with a pulled hamstring. In fact, aside from the kickers, the only other top player is DE Victor England, with 19 sacks on the year so far. He'll need to be at his best to get through this Eastern Offensive Line, however.

The Eagles have what is general considered to be the best starting wide receiver duo in the country in Rob Shanks, Dusty Kuntz and Gino Gonzalez. They'll do everything they can to try and stymie this secondayr, led by Texas corner Tom Zarate from closer to Eastern than Texas in Pennsylvania. In fact, the Texas secondary is their weakest spot, so expect to see Eastern push it.

And Eastern's weakest spot is their linebacker corps. Expect to see Texas pass over the middle and run up the gut with blockser to try and overpower the linebackers.

This one promises to get a classic. A game for the ages. Can David really beat Goliath? Find out after these messages, on TV1!

-Anxiety

Old 01-21-2004, 03:14 AM   #206
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

THE FIESTA BOWL:

Score Summary:

Texas starts out with a reception for a TD.

Broderick Corbitt catches one of Pierce's TD passes for a TD to tie it at 7-7.

Broderick Corbitt plunges it in from the 2 for another score to end the first quarter. 14-7.

Anthony Patterson, the Texas RB, breaks free and scrambles 32 yards for a TD in the second. 14-14.

Texas kicks a FG. 17-14.

Dusty Kuntz catches a 46 yard pass for a TD near the end of teh first half. Score is 21-17 us.

Texas begins the third with a 4 yard plunge, then follws on the ensuing drive, capping it off with a 2 yard plunge as well. 31-21 in the middle of the third.

EMU kicks a FG. 31-24. End of third quarter.

To start the fourth quarter, Ernie Lohrer, our backup RB, runs it in three yards to tie the game at 31-31.

Texas QB Gene Newton hits a receiver for two yards and a TD.

Gene then hits his RB for 12 yards and another TD. 45-31 with 4:16 to go.

EMU drives, Dwayne Humphrey catches a 46 yard pass from Pat Pierce to get within seven with 3:31 on the clock.

Eastern kicks off. Texas gets the ball. Eastern's defense holds, Texas is forced to punt. With the ball on our own 21 and with 2:11 on the clock, we go to work.

Unfortunatley, work meant one down gone. Two downs gone. Third down, sack. Fourth and 15. No good. Turnover on downs.

Texas wins the game 45-38 and a great game it was too!!!!!

Stat Highlights:

RB Broderick Corbitt, 44 yards, 1 TD on 15 carries, 7 receptions for 78 yards and another TD.

Pat Pierce, 21 of 35 for 373 yards, 3 TDs, 1 Int

WR Rob Shanks, 6 catches for 118 yards

DT Bo Willis was knocked out of the game.

We lost, but we gave it a good run. And we proved that we can play with the big boys. Instant classic.

-Anxiety

Old 01-21-2004, 03:14 AM   #207
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The Heisman Vote:

As expected, Broderick Corbitt is up for the Heisman. Also up is Pat Pierce. I keep track of what states voted for who -

I vote for Broderick.

Here are the states Broderick carried:

New Mexico, his home state
Michigan
Wisconsin
Illinois
Oklahoma
Maine
Rhode Island
Delaware
Oregon
Alabama
Louisiana
California

(There were no finalists from California)

He won with 134 votes!

Coming in third:

Pat Pierce had 111 votes and won:

Ohio
Indiana
Pennsylvania
Arkansas
Alaska
Georgia

Amazing!

-Anxiety