Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-19-2004, 05:22 AM   #251
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Let's look at this from another perspective. Which team had more former University of Michigan players playing key roles for them? Indianapolis? Nope. None I can think of. New England. Well, you have Tom "Heart of a Champion" Brady and Ty "Three Interceptions" Law. Granted it's a simplification of the day's events, but as solid an analysis as you'll see. Way to make your fellow alumni proud, lads!

Good luck in the Super Bowl.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 05:40 AM   #252
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
First play of the game, kickoff to the Patriots. Whistle blows, a few seconds later a Colts ST member levels a Patriot. Definitely after the play is over, right in front of an official. Definitely a 15 yard penalty. Just an example. You see what you want to see.

In any case, I think 4 interceptions and 1 fumble tell the story. You turn the ball over that much and you give up the right to complain about anything except your own incompetence.

I guess I did not remember that play. I think everyone can agree that the officials were horrible.

Oh, I am sure that the turnovers were key. I don't think anyone in this thread even suggested otherwise.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 05:43 AM   #253
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez
As for the rest of you, if anybody thinks the Pats only won because of a few calls, stay in your world of denial. The Pats have the best coached, prepared, motivated team in the NFL that does nothing but execute plays. They won 14 games in a row with a 10-0 record against winning teams (beating Indy and Titans twice). Of course, they only did that because of the breaks and lousy officiating.

If anyone was suggesting what you alledge, they are a serious minority of those complaining about the game. Take off the rose colored glasses, my friend. Just because the officials sucked does not mean the Patriots only won because of it. It does mean that the game was not played according to the rules, though.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:28 AM   #254
rkmsuf
Head Coach

All the bitching and moaning about holding and lack of penalties in this thread is hilarious.

Pats handily won every facet of the game except converting tds in the red zone. The game wasn't nearly as close as the score in spite of Indy having a shot at the end. It should have been 38-14. Ain't no lack of calls going to make up for that physical and mental ass whipping...
Old 01-19-2004, 10:47 AM   #255
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Ain't no lack of calls going to make up for that physical and mental ass whipping...

One more person who does not get it.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:56 AM   #256
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
One more person who does not get it.

If I'm not getting what you are selling I'm better off for it.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:04 PM   #257
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I'm not selling anything. It sounds like you still don't get it.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:46 PM   #258
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I wish they would have just called one fucking holding call on New England. I just remember the 4th down play, where Freeney or maybe Mathis was tackled right in front of Brady. Total bullshit. That ref has helped your team in the AFC Championship a couple of times now. How about a holding on Pollard too? Nah... Oh, how I hate New England. Go Panthers!
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 12:51 PM   #259
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway
I wish they would have just called one fucking holding call on New England. I just remember the 4th down play, where Freeney or maybe Mathis was tackled right in front of Brady. Total bullshit. That ref has helped your team in the AFC Championship a couple of times now. How about a holding on Pollard too? Nah... Oh, how I hate New England. Go Panthers!

or maybe you wish your quarterback hadn't throw 4 picks. or that harrison had not fumbled. or that your long snapper wasn't a bum. or that the O-Line couldn't stop a THREE man rush. or that Ty Law wasn't amazing

no hard feelings or anything. It seemed like it was like playoff hockey. the officials swalloed their whistles. Almost no calls against EITHER team except for a few false starts and offsides
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 12:53 PM   #260
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

IND all the way to the AFC Championship Game...
Old 01-19-2004, 03:43 PM   #261
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I love being ganged up on by a bunch of over protective (of their officials) Patriot fans...
Old 01-19-2004, 03:49 PM   #262
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Let's look at this from another perspective. Which team had more former University of Michigan players playing key roles for them? Indianapolis? Nope. None I can think of. New England. Well, you have Tom "Heart of a Champion" Brady and Ty "Three Interceptions" Law. Granted it's a simplification of the day's events, but as solid an analysis as you'll see. Way to make your fellow alumni proud, lads!

Good luck in the Super Bowl.

Hey, maybe this isn't the thread for it, but I hate Michigan.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:55 PM   #263
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

And Pats fans love being ganged up on by a bunch of whiners looking for any excuse for how the Patriots were able to win 14 straight games.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 04:02 PM   #264
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
And Pats fans love being ganged up on by a bunch of whiners looking for any excuse for how the Patriots were able to win 14 straight games.

I don't see that at all. I just skimmed through the rest of the thread, but I didn't see anybody here try to say the Patriots didn't deserve the win.

You can deserve to win the game and still LOSE the game. It happens all the time. Nobody is crying about the Patriots winning this game, what we are upset about is that the officiating was one sided and took away any chance the Colts had to win the game.

Pollard WAS HELD on the play. Two plays in a row in fact. An Indy D-Lineman WAS tackled on a stunt on the 4th and 8 play, which led to 3 NE points.

If the Indy WR and TE's had to deal with what Pollard did on those last two plays all day, it isn't any wonder nobody was open and Manning had to force the ball into places he wouldn't have otherwise.

It was a BADLY officiated game, which hurt the Colts badly. NE deserved to win the game.

Those two observations do not have to be seperated.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 04:26 PM   #265
pjstp20
High School Varsity

Yeah Chowder Heads, be happy that your team is in the Super Bowl AGAIN and less concerned with what everyone else thinks. Its like you want everyones justification or something, but you arent gonna get it, no team ever does.
pjstp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 05:11 PM   #266
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Pollard WAS HELD on the play. Two plays in a row in fact.

No he wasn't.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 06:09 PM   #267
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Not sure what it matters, but from Peter King, the MMQB "Excellent officiating, I thought, by both crews in the title games. They let the guys play."
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 07:31 PM   #268
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
I don't see that at all. I just skimmed through the rest of the thread, but I didn't see anybody here try to say the Patriots didn't deserve the win.

You can deserve to win the game and still LOSE the game. It happens all the time. Nobody is crying about the Patriots winning this game, what we are upset about is that the officiating was one sided and took away any chance the Colts had to win the game.

Pollard WAS HELD on the play. Two plays in a row in fact. An Indy D-Lineman WAS tackled on a stunt on the 4th and 8 play, which led to 3 NE points.

If the Indy WR and TE's had to deal with what Pollard did on those last two plays all day, it isn't any wonder nobody was open and Manning had to force the ball into places he wouldn't have otherwise.

It was a BADLY officiated game, which hurt the Colts badly. NE deserved to win the game.

Those two observations do not have to be seperated.
I totally agree with everything you have said Troy. New England deserved to win, but there were some very big missed calls. On the Fourth down no holding, I thought to myself "It OK if he completes this, they had to have called a holding... WHAT? NO FLAG?" That is exactly my thinking process, and they showed Coach Dungy after that one. I think that is what he was thinking.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:14 PM   #269
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
No he wasn't.

OK, it WAS illegal contact. Happy now.

Bishop,

I don't care what that heck Peter King thinks. I don't care what Paul Zimmerman thinks. (I have no idea what Dr. Z thinks of it, but I'd respect his opinion more than King's anyway)

I only know what I saw. I'm not a Pats hater with blinders on hoping and praying the team fails. I'm just a football fan who wants to see a good game of football from BOTH teams and the officiating crew reffing them.

I didn't get the last part of that on Sunday and I have a right to be pissed off about it, even if I feel the more deserving team won the game.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:19 PM   #270
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
OK, it WAS illegal contact. Happy now.

Bishop,

I don't care what that heck Peter King thinks. I don't care what Paul Zimmerman thinks. (I have no idea what Dr. Z thinks of it, but I'd respect his opinion more than King's anyway)

I only know what I saw. I'm not a Pats hater with blinders on hoping and praying the team fails. I'm just a football fan who wants to see a good game of football from BOTH teams and the officiating crew reffing them.

I didn't get the last part of that on Sunday and I have a right to be pissed off about it, even if I feel the more deserving team won the game.

Troy, you have been saying this every month about every single important game. Mountain. Molehill. (Besides, I still won't let you go for your Colt/Panthers=druggie comment ).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 09:28 PM   #271
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Troy, you have been saying this every month about every single important game. Mountain. Molehill. (Besides, I still won't let you go for your Colt/Panthers=druggie comment ).

Hey, the Colts didn't win it did they?

And no, I haven't said it about every important game.

Lakers game #6 against Sac and game #3 against Minnesota.
Duke vs. Maryland in the Final Four. (the WORST officiated game I've ever seen and probably ever will see)
Indy vs. NE in the AFC Championship game.
KC vs. Denver, the clip.

That's about it. I thought there was one bad call in the Miami/Ohio St. game a couple of years ago, but not the one the Hurricane fans thought it was. I don't recall complaining about The Super Bowl or either championship games last year. Never said a thing about the "tuck" rule a few years ago. Didn't say a thing about any of the umping in the baseball playoffs. Didn't say a thing about any of the hockey playoffs.

Those 5 games above and some mean spirited overall NBA reffing calls are it.

Considering I've watched hundreds, if not thousands of games in that time span, I don't think that's an excessive amount.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:20 PM   #272
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:

Uh no! The refs did not help the Pats in 2001. To anybody who has seen the replay, Brady did not fumble according to the RULES. It was reviewed and called right and the NFL said it was called right. Even after winter meetings, the tuck rule remained and it has been used a number of times since.

It's funny, first you say the refs helped the Pats yesterday by NOT CALLING the game by the rules, and then you say the refs helped the Pats in 2001 by CALLING the rules. Which one is it?
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 10:27 PM   #273
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

The refs called the Pats Raiders game correctly according to the rules, just like they did in the Colts Bucs game earlier this year. You may not like the rule, however it is the rule. But there were several non calls in the Pats favor, specically defensive holding many times throughout the game that were not called. Bitch and moan one way or be in denial the other, its a fact.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:52 AM   #274
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Then you gotta blame the Colts for not doing it too. It's playoff time. Often the refs "let 'em play."

That said, I thought a flag might come out on the second throw to Pollard. After the replay, I was not entirely convinced. But earlier in the game, there were some non-calls against the Colts.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote