Old 01-14-2004, 05:00 PM   #1
The_herd
College Starter

Bears Hire Lovie Smith

According to ESPNews

The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 05:08 PM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Maybe he'll be a better head coach than defensive coordinator. I wasn't all that impressed with him.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 05:52 PM   #3
The_herd
College Starter

Got a link for ESPN.com now.

I think its a good hire. He did a good job in Tampa as the DC, and made a record setting (in the bad way) defense in St. Louis very respectable.

He also says he plans on running a version of the Rams offense that focuses more on the run. Something that should make Bears fans smile.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1708770
Old 01-14-2004, 06:12 PM   #4
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

But Grimm looked like Ditka.

Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 06:14 PM   #5
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

It doesn't matter. Without a QB da-Bears are...
BigJohn&TheLions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 06:15 PM   #6
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Hiring Grimm would have been amusing. We fired Jauron and replaced him with Jauron-lite .

Lovie is a decent hire. Let's see if he can be a head coach... though a QB is definetly needed. Maybe they can snag Brunell?
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 06:17 PM   #7
The_herd
College Starter

Brunell says he's playing for either Dallas or Miami.

As a Bears fan, I just want them to hand it over to Grossman and let him play the position. It would be great to see how he does thowing to guys running routes that are longer than 5 yards.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:17 PM   #8
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

He's from UF, of course he'll flop .
Old 01-14-2004, 06:33 PM   #9
Subby
lolzcat

How would Russ Grimm be Juaron-lite?
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 06:53 PM   #10
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I just don't see Grimm being much more different a coach than Jauron.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:11 PM   #11
SteelerFan448
High School JV

I don't see Grimm going from OL coach to HC. I'm surprised he was even mentioned. Although, he does now have a good chance at being moved to OC with the Steelers
Old 01-14-2004, 07:22 PM   #12
dreadloxz
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_herd
Got a link for ESPN.com now.

I think its a good hire. He did a good job in Tampa as the DC, and made a record setting (in the bad way) defense in St. Louis very respectable.

He also says he plans on running a version of the Rams offense that focuses more on the run. Something that should make Bears fans smile.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1708770

he was only the LB coach In tampa
dreadloxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 07:25 PM   #13
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadloxz
he was only the LB coach In tampa

Oops, my fault.

Didn't do a bad job there either though.

Last edited by The_herd : 01-14-2004 at 07:26 PM.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 07:28 PM   #14
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I teach at a middle school that has a lot of Rams, Cardinal, and other Saint Louis "celebrities" kids and I have to say that Lovie was one of the nicest and most interested parents I have ever met. I don't know if it is the money or just the power but some of these guys (and their wives) walk into our school like they own the place. But his attitude was always that we knew what we are doing and he was very involved but supportive. What is the whole point of any of this? Well I don't get to meet a lot of nationally known names, and I feel that something like this couldn't happen to a better person. I wish him the best and maybe one day maybe he will come back and take Martz's job!

Last edited by panerd : 01-14-2004 at 07:30 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 07:35 PM   #15
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Maybe he'll be a better head coach than defensive coordinator. I wasn't all that impressed with him.

I echo these thoughts. I'm glad he's gone, no offense to what he has done for the community, but he wasn't very consistant with the defense and cost us the Detroit game as well as made the Panthers look like an offensive juggernat.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 07:40 PM   #16
Daimyo
College Starter

St. Louis's defense was deceptively good this past year. Footballoutsiders.com power rankings has them ranked second overall. They compare every play of a team to the NFL average for plays that happened under the same circumstances and then basically give a weighted average for how much better or worse that team was over the NFL average over the course of all their plays in the season. St Louis came out to be 21.3% better than average (2nd to BAL at 32.7%).
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 09:33 PM   #17
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Oops, my fault.

Didn't do a bad job there either though.

Well, he better not with Hardy Nickerson and Derrick Brooks to coach at the time!!!

Seriously, a big portion of coaching is getting good experience and training under good bosses and I think he has had the right kind of exposure with Tony Dungy (defense) and Dick Vermeil and the current homeslice (homeslice's name escapes me) in St. Louis (offense).

He could very well be the most well rounded rookie coach to come along in some time...but...it is the Bears afterall, so I am guessing we shouldn't expect too much barring a freak 15-1 season which is standard everytime the planets are aligned.

Last edited by Dutch : 01-14-2004 at 09:34 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 09:44 PM   #18
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn&TheLions

DOOMED!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 09:47 PM   #19
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Nice stat Daimyo. I guess the Panther game is still haunting me.

I hope he does well in Chicago, but I'm looking foward to a new DC here in St. Louis.

Todd
Old 01-15-2004, 12:01 AM   #20
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Maybe Dick Jauron .
Old 01-15-2004, 07:33 AM   #21
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Maybe Dick Jauron .

Todd
Old 01-15-2004, 07:46 AM   #22
Subby
lolzcat

I agree that Grimm-as-finalist was a head-scratcher. I just didn't see any apt comparisons between him and Jauron since (I think) Jauron is a defensive guy and Grimm is an offensive guy descended from Coryell-Zampese-Gibbs-Turner and finished by Mike Mularkey.

Grimm will get the OC job in PIT or WAS and will become a fantastic head coach in a few seasons. I'm glad he didn't get the job - Angelo seems like a pretty sorry GM...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 08:06 AM   #23
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

FYI, I read this earlier today:

The Chiefs may be losing quarterbacks coach Terry Shea to the Chicago Bears, where he would become offensive coordinator for new head coach Lovie Smith. Tight ends coach Keith Rowan told Vermeil he would stay with the Chiefs rather than become offensive-line coach for the Arizona Cardinals. Rowan had previously worked with new Arizona head coach Dennis Green.

— Ivan Carter/The Star (KC)
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 08:43 AM   #24
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Grimm will get the OC job in PIT or WAS and will become a fantastic head coach in a few seasons. I'm glad he didn't get the job - Angelo seems like a pretty sorry GM...

I agree with this, both that he'll be a fantastic HC some day and that I am glad he did not get the job. I think he needs more coordinator experience, and a better situation could not hurt either.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:52 AM   #25
cincyreds
High School Varsity

Same ol Bears.

They go cheap each year with QB's and now they go cheap on a coach.

No wonder why they lose all the time.

Like that old saying, 'you get what you pay for'.

Stinkin Bears!
Old 01-15-2004, 10:31 AM   #26
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

This of course raises another vacancy, that of Defensive Coordinator in St. Louis. It comes at a pretty critical time for the Rams D. They've got several irons in the fire, and a crucial draft class pending.

Of note:

(1) Age & contract issues. Is Grant Wistrom worth a big new contract, and/or will he stay for a reasonable amount? He is a pretty steady RDE, not fantastic but can be a force. Great team personality and community guy. Aeneas Williams is another year older. Jason Sehorn was a disaster and will not be back.

(2) The Young DTs. So much money and high draft picks invested...someone needs to step up.

(3) The LBs. Tommy Polley and Robert Thomas are good but injury prone. Pisa Tioisamoa is a good young talent. Duncan is a mess.

(4) The DBs. Too little talent & depth.
Old 01-15-2004, 03:24 PM   #27
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

After listening to the press conference earlier today, I think its been made official that Angelo is a douchebag.

Lovie said the right things, but coaches always seem to say the right things at first. Although he said his number one priority was to beat Green Bay. He then listed making the playoffs and Super Bowl priorities #2 and #3. Um, I think he may need to re-think that.

Three seasons ago we were 13-3 and lost twice to the Pack, no complaining there.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 09:11 PM   #28
PineTar
High School JV

My family had seson tickets for my entire childhood. Wanstedt-Jauron-Smith can't hold a candle to Gibron-Pardee-Armstrong. The Ditka/Finks era was a fluke people. The Bears will never be legitimate until the McCaskey family sells the team.

Six weeks til pitchers and catchers report to HoHoKam!! w00t!

Last edited by PineTar : 01-15-2004 at 09:11 PM.
PineTar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 09:16 PM   #29
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
FYI, I read this earlier today:

The Chiefs may be losing quarterbacks coach Terry Shea to the Chicago Bears, where he would become offensive coordinator for new head coach Lovie Smith. Tight ends coach Keith Rowan told Vermeil he would stay with the Chiefs rather than become offensive-line coach for the Arizona Cardinals. Rowan had previously worked with new Arizona head coach Dennis Green.

— Ivan Carter/The Star (KC)

Rutgers ex-coaches are making the rounds. Have fun with Shea!
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 11:35 PM   #30
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Rutgers ex-coaches are making the rounds.

Coaches?
Old 01-16-2004, 07:51 AM   #31
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

(1) Age & contract issues. Is Grant Wistrom worth a big new contract, and/or will he stay for a reasonable amount? He is a pretty steady RDE, not fantastic but can be a force. Great team personality and community guy. Aeneas Williams is another year older. Jason Sehorn was a disaster and will not be back.

I would let Wistrom go, he's going to want big time $$$ and I would think a better/cheaper pass rusher would be out there in FA. Remember, with Pace getting franchised, and Bulger needing a contract, we need all the cash we can spare. Aeneas should be fine at safety and I think the Rams have a youngster to take Sehorns place.

(2) The Young DTs. So much money and high draft picks invested...someone needs to step up.

Two words, Jimmy Kennedy. He needs to put up or shut up.

(3) The LBs. Tommy Polley and Robert Thomas are good but injury prone. Pisa Tioisamoa is a good young talent. Duncan is a mess.

Duncan needs to go, but I think he has a long term contract. I would like to see a draft pick LB somewhere next year. Why did we pass up Boss Bailey?

(4) The DBs. Too little talent & depth.

I was impressed by our CB's this year. I think our LB's were most of the problems, not to mention the DT's. I could see a CB draft pick as well, although a good FA CB would be nice.

Todd
Old 01-16-2004, 12:49 PM   #32
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Coaches?

I believe Ted Cottrell was an assistant coach at Rutgers. Not sure how long ago tho, early 80s tho, I think. As far as Shea goes, he couldn't recruit New Jersey and didn't want to make a run at the big talents in state, something that Coach Schiano isn't afraid to do. Shea is a great Xs and Os guy, and I think he could really help Grossman alot.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 12:55 PM   #33
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Coaches?

Doug Graber is also head coach of one of the NFL Europe teams (Frankfurt I thiunk). I hear his name come up occasionally for assistant positions.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:56 PM   #34
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
I believe Ted Cottrell was an assistant coach at Rutgers. Not sure how long ago tho, early 80s tho, I think. As far as Shea goes, he couldn't recruit New Jersey and didn't want to make a run at the big talents in state, something that Coach Schiano isn't afraid to do. Shea is a great Xs and Os guy, and I think he could really help Grossman alot.

In all seriousness, he made Mike McMahon look pretty good at Rutgers, and is probably the sole reason the guy made the NFL at all.

Trent Green has had a couple solid years since he's been there... so maybe it wouldn't be such a bad hire.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:18 PM   #35
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I was simply disputing that Rutgers coaches are making the rounds (I haven't seen Cotrell and Graber going anywhere this year) . Only Shea seems to be (and the New Jersey recruiting wasn't his only problem... his West Coast offense just wasn't working with the players he has on the Banks of the Ole Raritan).
Old 01-16-2004, 03:33 PM   #36
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
I was simply disputing that Rutgers coaches are making the rounds (I haven't seen Cotrell and Graber going anywhere this year) . Only Shea seems to be (and the New Jersey recruiting wasn't his only problem... his West Coast offense just wasn't working with the players he has on the Banks of the Ole Raritan).

Cottrell got the Vikings DC job last week. He was with the Jets last season.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 03:55 PM   #37
The_herd
College Starter

Back to the Bears, K.C. QB coach Terry Shea has been confirmed as the new OC.

Great news for Bears fans. Shea is seen by many as a top offensive mind and great teacher. This also goes with the direction Smith said he was taking the offense (Rams style with more of a focus on the run),
Old 01-16-2004, 03:57 PM   #38
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Back to the Bears, K.C. QB coach Terry Shea has been confirmed as the new OC.

Great news for Bears fans. Shea is seen by many as a top offensive mind and great teacher. This also goes with the direction Smith said he was taking the offense (Rams style with more of a focus on the run),

Rams style offense with more focus on the run? What exactly is that?
Old 01-16-2004, 03:59 PM   #39
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Rams style offense with more focus on the run? What exactly is that?

Picture Faulk getting the ball as much as he should, I'm assuming.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:00 PM   #40
The_herd
College Starter

What Smith described when talking about the offense is actually closer to the Chiefs offense than the Rams.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:02 PM   #41
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Picture Faulk getting the ball as much as he should, I'm assuming.

Doesn't make sense since that's not the Ram's style...what the heck is Lovie talking about?

Booker/Gage/Terrell? Soldier Field? The second greatest show on grass? Uh, they don't have Faulk. Lovie needs to let it go and build the Bears own identity. Seems to me the defense and developing Grossman is a good way to start...
Old 01-17-2004, 11:06 PM   #42
The_herd
College Starter

In a shocker, John Shoop has already found work. The Bucs have hired him as their new Quarterbacks coach.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:10 AM   #43
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby

Looks like Grimm won't get either the PIT or WAS OC job...but instead will return as line coach of the Steelers with an attached title so that the team can say they "promoted" him. Whisenhunt will most likely be the Steelers new OC.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:47 PM   #44
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Doesn't make sense since that's not the Ram's style...what the heck is Lovie talking about?

Booker/Gage/Terrell? Soldier Field? The second greatest show on grass? Uh, they don't have Faulk. Lovie needs to let it go and build the Bears own identity. Seems to me the defense and developing Grossman is a good way to start...

I think Lovie was answering the media's inquiries of the horrific Offense the Bears have. In which case, everyone had known his work with the turnaround of Defenses, but folks have ben wondering what plans he had for the Offense.

In which case, he responded as such. Folks were curious about what plans he had for improving offensive production, and apparently, that was the best comparison he could have come up with.

The way I see it - as long as offense turns it around and just scores points: ground or air, I'll be satiated. That's just me though.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 01:25 PM   #45
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn&TheLions

Below the roster minimum for Quarterbacks.

If I were them, I'd look for somebody who is high in intelligence and leadership.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:28 PM   #46
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
Below the roster minimum for Quarterbacks.

If I were them, I'd look for somebody who is high in intelligence and leadership.

What about volatility?
tweet tweet twitter
Old 01-18-2004, 01:33 PM   #47
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez
What about volatility?

I don't think a high sperm count has much to do with being a good Quarterback.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:55 PM   #48
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
I don't think a high sperm count has much to do with being a good Quarterback.

I guess 'Low' would be your choice on this then.
tweet tweet twitter