Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-11-2001, 08:40 AM   #1
Subby
lolzcat

Post VC II Browns 2026-: Operation Smashmouth

2026 PreSeason (reposted from previous thread)

Just trying to get familiar with these Browns:

We really have no weaknesses at this point. Choosing between QBs will be tough though, because while Benson looks better, Brentlinger rates better in the future. Again, though - it looks to me like Benson is the better potential. Johan rates VG at QB and YT, so I will take his word for it and start Brentlinger next year.

Herb Score: 87 (100/100/65/74)

Profitability killed us,although we WERE able to turn an 86 million dollar profit.

Retirements:

A moment of silence, please. Three greats have decided to call it quits.

Trevor Foster, S (keeper): 14 years, 57 Ints, 5 tds, 2 time allpro, defensive roy (2012).

Phillip Hamilton, DT: 14 years, first 12 as a starter. 468 tckls, 89 sacks. First pick in the 2012 draft.

Norbert "Grandaddy" Page: 17 years, 34.2% career block %.

Ticket Prices:

We decide to leave them alone. They'll get jacked up in three years.

Franchise Player Designation:

We toy with franchising Scott Fleming, but with a good backup already their and an eye on the cap, we decide no.

Coaching/Scouting:

Yeah right.

Free Agency:

We receive trade offer for G Hansen, DT Swift and Keeper T Finch. No,no, and no. We arent really wanting for anything, but we keep an eye out for affordable backups along the lines, as well as a great Punter.

We cant do anything, though, because our salary budget for draftees is too high (we have 9 picks in the upcoming draft). We trade our 2 3rds and our 4th for Oakland's 2nd (1). We continue to consolidate, trading two second round picks (31 and 36) to Philly for their 2nd (3). We then offer our 1st (18), 2nd (18), and 4th in 2027 to Milwaukee for their 1st (6). We now have the following picks: 1(6), 1(9), 1(13), 2(1), 2(3), 2(5). Cap room doesnt loosen too much, so we look trade a high-priced veteran. We take advantage of our depth at WR and trade former 1st rounder WR Cole and the 13th pick in the 1st round to Vegas for the 5th pick overall. The logjam at WR starts to clear.

We sign 5th year backup G Brady Moore (48/65/58) and also sign 6th year backup T Edward Knight (72/60/69) to a 3 yr 9 mil contract. We clear some more room by trading our 3rd string TE Bell and 3rd string RB Rose KC for a 2nd round pick in 2028. They both give us experienced and inexpensive 4th string depth.

Draft:

Bad news. I have 6 great picks, but this may be the worst draft I have ever seen. So I am going to try and parlay my picks into more picks to use as trade bait. My objective? Get young starters at the following positions: T, G, DT, S, WR.
+We trade the 1st round pick (5) to Buffalo for their first rounders in 2027 and 2028.
+We trade the 1st round pick (6) to Carolina for their first rounders in 2027 and 2028.

But I look again and we are so stacked I am not sure we CAN improve...so while I keep the radar up, I move to the draft. Amazingly, the starting S we liked, but didnt want to draft as high as 5 or 6, falls to 9th. We grab him. One down.

1. (9) Al Pettine, S, LSU (92, 97, 76, x, x, 96). One of only two 8.0s on the board this year, he will be ready when Arnold Storey starts to fade in a few years. He'll also give us a formidable one-two punch with fellow Safety Graham "The Greek" Theophilokas for money years to come - on par with the glory years of the great Trevor Foster and Gerry Dunkleberger.
2. (1) Sammie McKnight, QB, Tulane (96,85,98,74,92,100,98,96,100). McKnight will be our third string QB, meaning that whomever loses the job coming out of training camp will get dealt.
2. (3) Darryl Hutchins, CB, Michigan Tech, (100,97,100,x,x,87). Possible future starter at CB.
2. (5) Ian Reese, P, Boise State, (59,97,88). Now we have a quality Punter!

Trade offers for DE Wiese, T Finch, and DT Swift are rejected.

We do some housecleaning and trade former starting Punter Curtis Norris to the Las Vegas Hitmen for a 4th round pick in 2027.

After Training Camp:

Now for the QB Controversy. Our Scout now likes Benson better than Brentlinger over the long term. Clark has healed to the point where he is rated higher at the moment than the other two. Passing cohesion with Clark would be 92. With Benson it would be 75 and Brentlinger a 78. In the end we decide to go with Dwight Benson - its a move I may regret the next two years, but I think it will pay off in the long run...and Benson has a real chance to be great. We give Benson a 4-yr 16.8 million dollar deal and we immediately trade QB Roger Brentlinger to the Washington Redskins for 1st round picks in 2027, 2028, and 2029. We have 13 first round picks over the next three years at the moment. Coming off a Bowl win and the future looks bright.

Exhibition Season:

Cleveland @ Green Bay W 16-10
San Francisco @ Green Bay W 16-14 (WR Robbie Jeffries out 2-3 months)
Cleveland @ Tampa Bay W 28-6 (LB Seth Gordon out 2-3 months, QB Benson 3-5 weeks)
Cleveland @ Minnesota W 28-21 (no injuries)

Ok, so we make it out of pre-season minus just two starters - and we will probably start Clark the first game and in any game where Benson is hurt. Let's hope Nate "The Bookstore" Borders can carry us through!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 08:41 AM   #2
Subby
lolzcat

Regular Season

Week 1

Cleveland (0-0) -8 @ Baltimore (0-0)

Borders and Beyer do the Cleveland two-step all over Baltimore, and the Offense rolls up 429 yards total offense. Two tds by Baltimore in the final two minutes make it look closer than it was. Clark got knocked out halfway through and Benson came in, injured, and played great.

Cleveland wins 36-28

Clark 8-16-106-0-1
Benson 8-14-115-1-0
Borders 18-8-0
Beyer 13-115-2
Henderson 4-71-0
Weise 3.0 sacks
MoeReilly 5-5 FG 3-3 XP

Injuries: LB Gordon 2-3 months, WR Jeffries 3-5 weeks

Week 2

San Francisco (1-0) @ CLeveland (1-0) -9

Our new defensive coach, hired in the off-season to light a fire under the vets, has installed an aggressive system designedto force mistakes. It worked this game as the defense forced 6 interceptions and 4 sacks, while allowing 227 total yards. The offense does its job and doesnt turn the ball over.

Cleveland wins 44-7.

Clark 14-27-171-3-0
Borders 20-91-1
Lee 2 catches-56 yards-2 tds
Weise 1.5 sacks
Tubbs and The Greek 2 INTS (The Greek returned one for a TD)

Injuries: LB Gordon 2-3 months, S Dunkleberger 3-5 weeks, LB Sapp 3-5 weeks

Week 3

Jacksonville (1-1) @ Cleveland (2-0) -7

Remember Rudy? He has a new name. Sammy McKnight. Down 20-17 late in the fourth quarter, both Clark and Benson out of the game, Sammy took his team to the promised land and hit Burt Porter on a 10 yard out with 2:51 left. Game. The defense continued its dominance, allowing 222 total yards, gaining 3 sacks, a fumble recovery and an interception.

Cleveland wins 24-21.

Clark 9-15-114-0-1
McKnight 5-8-53-1-0
Borders 21-89-1
Porter 6-83-2
Lamar "Rerun" Tubbs 8 tckls

Injuries: LB Gordon 2-3 months, S Dunkleberger, T Finch, QB Benson: 3-5 weeks

Week 4

St.Louis (2-1) @ Cleveland (3-0) -9

We storm out to a 37-13 lead, thanks to a kickoff and int return. St. Louis storms back with 25 unanswered points, and the game looks bleak. 5 seconds left, Browns have the ball at the 34. Moe Riley trots out onto the field and crushes a 51-yd fg for the win.

Cleveland wins 40-38.

Clark 14-27-266-1-2
Borders 25-139-1
Porter 5-122
ReRun Tubbs 7 tckls
Riley 4-4 FGA, 4-4 XP

Injuries: S Storey Out Long Term, LB Gordon 2-3 months, Dunkleberger, Finch 3-5 weeks.

Week 5

Cleveland (4-0) -4 @ Cincinnati (1-3)

Smashmouth returns. We hold them to 140 yds, gaining 4 sacks and 3 ints. We roll on the ground, gaining 239 yds rushing. Clark just gets out of the way...

Cleveland wins 24-7.

Clark 10-17-95-1-1
Borders 25-168-1, receiving: 4-44-0
Beyer 17-59-1
2 sacksfor Wiese, one a piece for Capt Kirk and ReRun Tubbs
Vanderclute 6KRB, 0 sacks allowed.

Injuries: S Storey Out Long Term, LB Gordon, Dunkleberger, Finch: 3-5 weeks.

Week 6

Cleveland (5-0) -4 @ Pittsburgh (3-2)

Big-time divisional tilt. Our defense steps up to the plate AGAIN and we continue Operation Smashmouth. We get 3 defensive tds on a Brenden Swift fumble return and TWO INT returns by LB Lamar "ReRun" Tubbs (Def POW honors). On a day when pur offense only gained 220 yards, we needed this effort.

Cleveland wins 35-10.

Clark 12-22-125-1-0
Borders 24-104-1
The Greek 7 tckls 1 int
"ReRun" Tubbs 2 ints for tds

Injuries: The fragile Moe Riley: Out for the year, C Leo Sheldon 2-3 months, Finch, Weise, Gordon, and Hanson: 3-5 weeks. We look to rest our guys as we peruse FA. Luckily, we find a very good Kicker, Neil Drake, on waivers and snatch him up.

Week 7

Cleveland (6-0) -2 @ Atlanta (4-2)

Have a bad feeling about this one. We are banged up on the o-line and rely heavily on our running game. I was right. We go down 17-14 in the 4th quarter and it looks grim. Out of no where, Lee Clark hits Nate Borders on a screen and does his best Marshall Faulk, scampering for48 yds and the game winning score!

Cleveland wins 21-17.

Clark 17-31-259-2-1
Border 22-71-1, 4-78-1
Jeffries 5-78-1
Sapp 10 tckls

Injuries: K Moe Riley 2027, C Leo Sheldon 2-3 months, Storey playoffs, Finch, Weise, Gordon, and Hanson: 3-5 weeks.

Week 8

BYE WEEEK. Praise the Lord and pass the gauze.

Halfway: 7-0, 2nd in scoring offense (224), 5th in scoring defense (128)

Week 9

Cincinnati (2-5) @ Cleveland (7-0) -10

Weise is Questionable, so we let him sit this one out and move Capt Kirk outside. Youngster Riddick Tubbs (second cousin of Lamar "ReRun" Tubbs) gets his first start at DT. Clark keeps starting as long as we keep winning - although he is not playing real well. Nate Borders puts another claim on ownership of the team, as he puts everyone on his back and rumbles for over 200. Clark plays decently and we overcome a poor showing by our D.

Cleveland wins 27-17.

Clark 15-26-196-2-1
Borders 36-205-1 (OPOW)
Pearson 5-76-1
Dunkleberger 9tckls, 2 ints. (DPOW)
"ReRun" Tubbs 2 sacks

Injuries: K Moe Riley 2027, S Storey playoffs, C Leo Sheldon, LB Scarlett 3-5weeks.

Week 9

Tennessee (4-4) @ Cleveland (8-0) -11

Operation Smashmouth continues as we rack up 276 yards rushing, 7 sacks, 1 int, 1 fumrec. Time of posession is in our favor for +9 minutes. The best of all is we have one of those rare days where two backs on the same team gain over a hundred yards! BUT. There is always a but. Nate Borders is carried off the field before the first half is over - done for the year. For the record he was leading the league in rushing (8 games, 206 att, 1065 yds, 5.1 avg, 8 tds). He was on pace for 2000. Some Injury rating on Courtney. Oh well - time for Clark and Beyer to step up. LB Seth Gordon re-injures himself in just his second game back and is gone now till at least the first round of the playoffs.

Cleveland wins 34-20.

Clark 13-19-178-0-1
Beyer 21-110-2
Borders 15-110-1
Wiese 5.0 SACKS!!!!!
Sapp 12 tackles!!!!
The Greek 1 int

Injuries: RB Borders, K Riley: done, S Storey, LB Gordon: playoffs, CB Peterman, LB Scarlett: 3-5 weeks.

Week 10

Cleveland (9-0) -4 @ Charlottesville (5-4)

We quickly re-up Beyer and Gordon, as it looks like we will need both of them thorughout their careers. Big let down for the team without Borders. We allow 24 unanswered points and the passing game goes even further in the shit can. Now that we have lost our first game, Clark sits the rest of the way, barring injury.

Charlottesville wins 31-17.

Clark 8-26-107-1-2
Beyer 22-117-1 (not theprob, obviously)
Ogden 1.5 Wiese 1.0 Sapp 1.0 scks

Injuries: RB Borders, K Riley: done, S Storey, LB Gordon: playoffs, CB Peterman, LB Scarlett, S Dunkleberger: 3-5 weeks.

Week 11

Cleveland (9-1) -6 @ Tennessee (4-6)

Benson's first start. Let's see if B&B Football Factory can pull one out on the road. We do. The Browns play mistake-fre football and acquit themselves nicely. Beyer chalks up his third straight 100-yd game.

Cleveland wins 24-17.

Benson 12-23-142-2-0
Beyer 30-131-0
Vanderclute 6KRB

Injuries: RB Borders, K Riley: done, S Storey: playoffs, LB Gordon, LB Scarlett: 3-5 weeks.

Week 12

Cleveland (10-1) -5 @ Baltimore (5-6)

If we win here, on the road, we clinch homefield throughout the playoffs. Smashmouth continues as we run the ball 52 times for 3 tds and 4 fgs. We also benefit from 17 penalties by Baltimore. Beyer tops 100 yards for the 4th straight game.

Cleveland wins 33-18. Homefield through the playoffs.

Benson 6-17-101-0-1
Beyer 36-182-2
Swift 2 scks
Sheldon 6 KRB

Injuries: Done: RB Borders, K Riley Playoffs: S Storey 3-5 weeks: LB Gordon.

Week 13

Cleveland (11-1) -6 at Jacksonville (6-6)

B&B Football factory returns as Beyer scores two tds and Benson throws two. The defense shows up, holding the Jags under 300 yards of offense while adhering to the tenents of Al Davis style defense. That's right - the Jags QB went down. And he went down hard - getting knocked out of the game. The offensive line continues to plow through opponents like mack trucks over anorexic cheerleaders.

Cleveland wins 30-16.

Benson 15-29-188-2-1
Beyer 28-103-1, 3-27-1 (5 straight games over 100 yds rushing)
Porter 5-82-1
One sack each for ReRun Tubbs and The Dunk
One INT for The Greek

Injuries: Done: RB Borders, K Riley 3-5 weeks: S Storey.

Week 14

Cleveland (12-1) -5 @ Miami (4-9)

Only a 5 pt favorite on the road against an inferior opponent...what do the handicappers know that we don't? In the second quarter Miami comes in on a corner blitz, blindsiding Benson - knocking him out of the game. He is listed as Doubtful for the last two games of the season. Enter veteran Lee Clark - perhaps the most enigmatic Brown in the storied history of the franchise. It is Clark's team again - and he must stow his baggage and lead this team to its destiny (enter NFL Films' The Power and the Glory, downloadable on your friendly neighborhood Napster). Anyway - Coach Joseph does not abandon his gameplan - Beyer Left, Beyer Right, Beyer Up the Gut. Before the crowd can blink, Beyer passes 1000 yards rushing for the season, the first time int his franchise's history two backs have topped 1000 yards in the same season. Lee Clark senses this is his last chance to garner a ring - and gets the look in his eye...the outcome but a formality.

Cleveland wins 21-13.

Clark 7-9-122-1-0
Beyer 31-171-1
Pearson 3-81-1
Reese 7 punts, 44.1 avg, 3 in20
Wiese, Swift sack
Dunk, Bell Int
Sapp7 tckls

Injuries: Done: RB Borders, K Riley, LB JB Banks 3-5 weeks: S Storey, QB Benson.

Week 15

Indianapolis (3-9-2) @ Cleveland (13-1) -10

The outcome was never in doubt as Operation Smashmouth rolls on. Our defense and running game dominate in EVERY sense of the word. The D holds them to 9 first downs, 137 total yards and 23 minutes of possesion time. They threw in 5 sacks and 2 interceptions. We knock out 2 Quarterbacks. Our rushing game took the ball 52 times for 231 yards, with the offense going over 300 yards for the 14th time this season.

Cleveland wins 30-6.

Clark 10-16-106-1-2
Beyer 37-179-1 (OPOW)
Lee 6-35-1, 4-36-0
Kirk, Rachal, Wiese, Copeland, Ogden each get a sack
Graham "The Greek" Theophilakos - 2 ints
Vanderclute- 6 KRB

Injuries: Done: K Riley, LB JB Banks 3-5 weeks: RB Borders, S Storey, QB Benson.

Week 16

Pittsburgh (8-7) @ Cleveland (14-1) -10

A meaningless game for us, but we would like to finish the season on a positive note. We rest anyone with even a hint of injury, plus anyone else we can fit on the Inactive list. We pull it out with a FG at the buzzer, using the same formula as always: Smashmouth. For the record, Beyer has gone over 100 in every single start this season (8). Amazingly, Beyer finishes FOURTH in the league in total rushing yards.

Cleveland wins 20-17.

Clark 14-25-159-2-2
Beyer 25-118
Porter 6-87
ReRun Tubbs and Sapp - 7 tckls a piece

On to the playoffs...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 01-11-2001, 08:55 AM   #3
TheRoyalOne

Great season, and again I'm disappointed in Mighty...make that Meager Moe Riley.

Wiese with a 5 sack game, awesome! The Greek seems to be a playmaker.

Nice to see Clark finally do something now that he knows that he has to earn his starts.

Tough seeing Borders go down, but Beyer has always been a fav of mine despite not having the superstars ratings.

One question, I suppose you using the Morgado(I said Marmel, oops) game plan?

[This message has been edited by TheRoyalOne (edited 01-11-2001).]
Old 01-11-2001, 09:20 AM   #4
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

What is the Marmel game plan? Has a game plan been named after me? That would be cool! Unless, of course, it was a bad game plan, and then it would not be cool, but probably accuratly named!

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 09:25 AM   #5
TheRoyalOne

Actually Marmel, I meant Morgado, pictures of you dancing around the streets of Colorado Springs after the Squirrels championship are confusing my brain.
Old 01-11-2001, 09:39 AM   #6
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Damn. I was hoping there was a game plan named after me. Maybe I'll make one up.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 10:04 AM   #7
Subby
lolzcat

Royal - yes- with a few minor mods.

Playoffs

Wildcard Round

Minnesota (9-7) 21
Atlanta (9-7) 13

Oakland (9-7) 30
Charlottesville (9-7) 10

Seattle(8-8) 29
Milwaukee (8-7-1) 28

San Francisco (9-7) 7
Washington (11-5) 10

Quarterfinal Round

Minnesota (10-7) 0
Chicago (13-3) 34

Washington (12-5) 13
Dallas (12-4) 23

Oakland (10-7) 12
Denver (10-6) 14

Seattle (9-8)
Cleveland (15-1)

Let's just fastforward to sudden death overtime. It's now 20-20. We each 2 punts a piece and Cleveland gets the ball on its own 23. Beyer goes off tackle for 31 yards, but we can't get in the red zone. K Drake trots out on the field. It will be a 54-yarder if he makes it. The snap is good, the kick is up...wide left. Seattle takesover on their 44. Several plays later they have 2nd and 8 on our 33 when Riddick Tubbs bull rushes the QB for a sack and loss of 7. Wiese hurries the QB on the next throw and Seattle's FG unit comes on the field. This would be a 57-yarder if they make it. The snap is good, the kick is up...just short of the crossbar - my heart was literally in my throat on that one. We gain possesion, but trade punt into the second OT. Our punt pins them on their 14, and they fail to advance the ball, giving us great field position (SEA 45) after the ensuing punt. 20 yards to Porter. Sanders up the middle for 18. Clark to Jeffries for 12 and the TOUCHDOWN!We gain a whopping 627 yds total offense.

Cleveland wins (and avoids an epic upset) 26-20.

Clark 24-37-351-2-0 (Clark steps up!)
Beyer 29-244-1
Porter9-161
Jeffries 4-76-2
Sapp 11tckls, 1 sck
ReRun Tubbs 9 tckls
Whiting 2 ints

Injuries: We lose Capt Lou Kirk for the rest of the playoffs. Ouch.

League Finals

Dallas (13-4) 20
Chicago (14-3) 23

Denver (11-6)
Cleveland (16-1) (-8)

Again we take you to the end of regulation as Denver kicks a FIFTY-SEVEN YARD FG to tie the game and take it into OT. Denver wins the toss and elects to receive. They take thekick out to their 20. On the second play of the OT, the Denver runner is hit HARD by Copeland and coughs the ball up - and the ball is scooped up the Greek and advanced 7 yards. First and ten Cleveland on Denver's 18. Beyer up the middle for 8 ya...FUMBLE! Denver recovers and advances the ball 21 yards to the CLE 46. An absolutely huge play. 11 plays and 6 minutes later, Denver puts it in the end zone and our fairy tale season is over. This REALLY hurts. For the first time all year the defense let us down.

Denver wins 40-34.

Clark 22-31-337-2-0
Beyer 31-184-2
Francis 5-93-2
Pearson 5-70
Wiese 2 sacks

Injuries: who cares...

Super Bowl

Denver (12-6) 13
Chicago (15-3) 23

Season Summary to come...

Old 01-11-2001, 11:28 AM   #8
Subby
lolzcat

Season Review:

Real quick - Lenny Spano - our LB for two years a while back - has had over 100 tackles for 6 straight years since leaving the team and just garnered his second league MVP award.

Honor Roll

FB Clarence Lee rushing: 16 GS 60-239-4 receiving: 20-266-3 blocking: 13-25 KRB, 52% 1st Team Fullbacl
G Ben Vanderclute blocking: 16 GS, 55-119 KRB (1st), 46.2%, 6 SkA 1st Team Guard
T Norm Sanderson blocking: 16 GS, 34-91 KRB, 37.3%, 5 SkA 1st Team Tackle
G Duane Hanson blocking: 16 GS, 39-103 KRB, 37.3%, 4 SkA 2nd Team Guard
LB Lamar "ReRun" Tubbs Defense: 16 GS, 69 tckls, 4 scks, 4 ints, 2 tds 2nd Team Linebacker

Key Starters
QB Lee Clark passing: 12 GS, 151-275-2005-15-14-75.1 rating
RB Casey Beyer rushing: 8 GS, 287-1,360-4.7 ypc-11 tds receiving: 14-136-1 (robbed)
RB Nate Borders rushing: 8 GS, 206-1,065-5.1 ypc-8tds receiving: 19-187-1
WR Burt Porter receiving: 16 GS, 48-716-7
TE Bruce Pearson receiving:16 GS, 40-468-4
C Leo Sheldon blocking: 12 GS, 40-90 KRB, 44.4%, 6 SkA (robbed)
T Rondell Finch blocking: 11 GS, 27-53 KRB, 50.9%!, 3 SkA

K Neal Drake + Moe Riley kicking: 16 GS, 32-39 FG, 56 long, 52-52 XP
P Ian Reese 39.9ypp, 35 in20
LB Gary Sapp defense: 15 GS, 84 tckls, 2 scks
S Graham "The Greek" Theophilakos defense: 14 GS, 57 tckls, 8 int, 1 td (robbed)
DE Kurt Wiese defense: 14 GS, 15 tckls, 16.5 sacks
CB Roy Matthews defense: 7 int, 1 td

Team Stats

Offensive Scoring: 460 (1)
Defensive Scoring: 283 (4)

Run Offense: 656att(1), 2,951 yds(1), 184.4 YPG(1), 4.4avg(5).

Run Defense: 393att(1), 1,542yds(2), 96.3ypg(2), 3.9avg.

Pass Offense: 203-379-2662-166.3(last)-7.0(15)

Pass Defense: 493att(18), 231comp(1), 3241yds (10), 202.5ypg (10), 6.5avg (6)

Turnovers: +18(1)

3rd down %: .372(10) opponents: .303(4)

Analysis

Not many complaints - will be interesting to see who retires and where we stand cohesion-wise after this year. We have legitimate starters for the next 5 years AT EVERY POSITION, except maybe G (Duane Hansen finishing year 13) and WR (Jeffries and Porter aging). Its all about cohesion and that will be my focus for next year.

On to 2027...

[This message has been edited by Subby (edited 01-11-2001).]

Old 01-11-2001, 02:08 PM   #9
Subby
lolzcat

Preseason

Herb says:

90/100/84/74 : 90

HOF Inductees (no Rico)

Raymond Gardner
Justin Reynolds
Harvey Covington
Tony Fisher
Rico Huntley
Neal McNeil
Todd Boticario
Cornelius Jennings
Kris Gutierrez
Skip Sizemore
Arnold Barton

Retirements

DT Louis "Capt" Kirk, DE Clifton Duncan. Both of these guys played at a high level for a number of years. Good chance Kirk will make our team HOF.

Unfortunately, the guys I wanted to retire (Wheeler, Copeland), didn't.

We dont set a Franchise Player, but I would like to point out that we are allowing 2 longtime starters (now backups) to test FA: LB Eighteen Wheeler and CB Charles Whiting. We will probably lose both, unfortunately - but we need the 30 million in cap room the move affords us.

As it stands now, our Cohesion (93/100/100/100) is far and away the tops in the league - so we try not to mess that up.

Our profits increased by close to 50% - without raising ticket prices!

We are keeping an eye out in FA, but with silly amount of picks in the upcoming draft, we are more likely to deal.

Free Agency
We get offered the number one pick in the draft for Borders. I said no

We have 6 firsts, 5 seconds, 3 3rds and a 4th in the upcoming draft, BTW.

We let Wheeler and Whiting go - we try to bid, but we need 50 mill for the draft (that will change). We shall miss those guys...theyllbemaking 5 mill a year and get to start - more than they could get from us.

Draft

+We send a 1(30), 2(34), 3(34), 3(27), 4(25) to Jacksonville for their 1(7).
+We send a 1(27), 2(27), 3(18) to Kansas City for their 1(8).
+We send a 2(3), 2(19), 2(25) to Greensboro for their 1(9).
+We send a 1(23), 1(25), 5 in 2029 to New Orleans for their 1(5).
+We send a 1(18) to New Orleans for a 1 and 4 in 2029.

We now have picks 5.6.7.8.9 in the first round.

Darkiller has 5 1st round picks next year and 3 in 2029.

Of course the computer is being a little bitch about letting me trade picks for players. Sigh.

We decide not to spend 5th pick money on anyone on the board, so...

+We send a 1(5) to Houston for their 1st rounders in 2028 and 2029.

Finally! We clear enough room to get the bookend WR on the Cowboys we have been eyeing. Now WR Jim Henderson will have a buddy just like Burt Porter had in Robbie Jeffries.

+We send a 1st in 2028, 1st in 2029, and 5th in 2028 to Dallas for WR Raymond Etaton (99,92,95,96,99,56,56,96).

1(6) Dale Still, LB, Rutgers (95,96,97,100)

Looking to upgrade our stellar o-line, we make the following trade for the best Tackle in the game - we have 100 cohesion there, so hopefully we wont drop too much:

+We send 7th year T Norman Sanderson, a 1st(7), and 2nd and 3rd picks in 2028 to St Louis for T Herb Dill (100,100,100 - thats actual) and a 1st(10).

Jealous of Detroit's number one pick, though not jealous of the signing bonus, we offer the following trade to fill DT and DE gaps caused by retirements:

+ We send T Stanley Hamilton, our 1st(8) and a first in 2028 (Washington) to Detroit for the #1 pick in the 2026 draft, DE Gene Woodson (93/94/95).

Last trade:

+We send LB JB Banks, G Brady Moore, 1st(9), 1st pick in 2028 (CAR), 6th pick in 2029 for T John Barber (2nd year potentials - 90,72,87), G Antonio Dela Cruz (2nd year potentials - 60,74,65), DT Mark Chapman (2nd year potentials 75/89/71)

Finally we pick:

1(9).Jim Rich, LB, Arkansas, (96,96,80,95)

We sign them and go into training camp with 50 playerson the roster, 28 million under the cap and a cohesion rating of: 96/94/98/100.

Here is a recap of our new accquisitions:

Finally! We clear enough room to get the bookend WR on the Cowboys we have been eyeing. Now WR Jim Henderson will have a buddy just like Burt Porter had in Robbie Jeffries.

WR Raymond Etaton (3rd year from Dallas) (99,92,95,96,99,56,56,96).
LB Dale Still (Rookie) (95,96,97,100).
T Herb Dill (7th year from STL) (100,100,100 - thats actual).
DE Gene Woodson (Rookie) (93/94/95).
T John Barber (acquired from KC)(2nd year potentials - 90,72,87)
G Antonio Dela Cruz (acquired from KC) (2nd year potentials - 60,74,65)
DT Mark Chapman (acquired from KC) (2nd year potentials 75/89/71)
LB Jim Rich (Rookie) (96,96,80,95)

That was fun

After Training Camp our cohesion stands at 99/93/93/100. Without Clark starting at QB passing cohesion drops to 84 - not bad - but we'll give Clark another crack at it since he finished so well in the playoffs...

Old 01-11-2001, 03:31 PM   #10
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

was out for most of the last couple days.
first of all, awesome Syrinx (the SuperBowl win) I hadn't had the time to congratulate you yesterday. so now it is done ! lol

Subby, a great season too...
The teams looks good, the championship game that we lost reminds me of that last SB I brought the team to, where we dominated the whole year but stunk in that particular game (unfortunately the most important of the year, the SB which was against the Bucs) and all of a sudden all we had built on during the course of the year seemed lost and we just didn't seem to want to play that game...I was mad after it.

Good luck for next season.

ps : I love the pic of the 2025 Championship team !!!
maybe we should do the same with each and every year we won the SuperBowl..just an idea

- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 03:57 PM   #11
WebEwbank
High School JV

Where to start ?

I really like the dashes better than the slashes in the game leaders summary.

What are Nate's ratings post-injury ?

Subs, you deal draft picks like I do, and that's not a nice thing to say about someone.
Trading up in the draft and back in time can yield truly embarrassing riches. It does position you to really make a splash in a rich year, though.

If you sum Nate and Beyer's stats last year, we topped Nate's single season yardage record, I believe.

Truly a dominating year, and just a bad time come up a little flat.

Very sneaky the way you forced double overtime to pad stats in the previous game...the Competition Committee is reviewing this as we speak.

Keepers: do we get two overall - or one O and one D ?

Keep the faith.
WebEwbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 12:31 AM   #12
Subby
lolzcat

Exhibition

Cleveland @ Charlottesville W 23-17.
Washington @ Cleveland W 27-24
Detroit @ Cleveland W 24-21
Cleveland @ Atlanta W 32-3

We finish 4-0 with no significant injuries.

Regular Season

Week One

Dallas (0-0) @ Cleveland (0-0) -9

The offense never gets going and we fail to have a 100-yd rusher for the first time in 12 games. Clark is mediocre at best and will get one more chance before the hook comes. The defense, on the other hand, plays well - our starting LB Corps combines for 26 tackles.

Dallas wins 13-6.

Clark 13-22-112-0-1
Borders 22-77-0
Reese 6punts 48.5avg 3in20
Sapp 11tckls
Gordon 8 tckls
Rerun Tubbs 7 tckls
Wiese sack

Injuries: none.

Week Two

Philadelphia (1-0) @ Cleveland (0-1) -8

We need a win here or there will be a big shakeup. Our running game is still not clicking, but CLark has a masterful game and Mighty Moe Riley manages to not get injured. The defense plays a dominating game, allowing but 190 total yards.

Cleveland wins 13-7.

Clark 20-23-232-0
Borders 29-68-0
Etaton 6-100-0
Riley 2-5FG
Sapp 8 tckls
Wiese, Ogden sack

Injuries: None.

Week 3

Cleveland (1-1) -2 @ Jacksonville (1-1)

Our first division tilt of the year after two against the NFC East. We owned Jax last year. We owned pretty much everyone last year. Guess what? The offense finally woke up! The defense was already awake - and we dominate Jacksonville in almost every sense of the word. Actually, let me rephrase that - Nate Borders dominated Jax in every sense of the word.

Cleveland wins 38-3.

Clark 16-21-215-1-0
Borders 29-168-4-0 (OPOW)
Etaton 3-50-1
Storey 3ints
Wiese, Ri Tubbs sack
Hanson 6 KRB

Injuries: 2-3 mos.: FB Jelinek (future starter)

Week 3

Pittsburgh (1-2) @ Cleveland (2-1) -11

Another important Conferene matchup - we arent pulling away from the field like we did last year. We are up 21-6 at halftime and coast on the shoulders of Lee Clark! Our defense is tenacious again, allowing but 10 yards rushing. They also gotseven sacks,two ints,and a fumble recovery. If our offense can keep up, we might just have a good football team this year.

Cleveland wins 38-20.

Clark 16-33-289-4-1 (100.8 rating so far)
Borders 20-68-0 (100-381-5 sofar)
Beyer 6-40-1
Etaton 7-126-1
Gordon 8 tckls
Wiese 3.0 sacks (6.0 on the season)
Ogden 1.5 sacks

Injuries: 2-3 mos.: FB Jelinek

Week 4

Cleveland (3-1) -2 @ Baltimore (3-1)

Four teams sit atop the AFC Central with 3-1 records. We need this game early in the season. With 2:51 left in the 4th Q, Baltimore kicks a FG to take a 3-point lead. We take the ball and move it past mid-field, setting up a 4 yard Moe Riley FG attempt. The kick is good. Forty-two seconds areleft on the clock. The game goes to overtime. Overtimes give us a nervous tic after last year conference final and now I remember why. Baltimore goes 77 yards on two plays and gets the win. Ulcer city. Nate Borders gets his nose broken and is out for 3-5 weeks. We'll see if his well-compensatedcounterpartcando any better.

Baltimore wins 23-17 (OT).

Clark 11-16-148-0-0
Borders 21-56-2
Gordon 9 tckls,1 sack

Injuries: 2-3 mos.: FB Jelinek (future starter), 3-5 weeks: RB Borders, TE Pearson (now a backup).

Week 6

Cleveland (3-2) @ Tennessee (4-1) -3

First time in two years we have been the dog (I think). The Titans are co-leaders of the AFC Central with Baltimore at the moment. We got torched for 350 yardsin the air last week, so we put the Greek in the starting lineup to shake things up. We get shellacked anyway. We have the best roster in the league, 100/98/96/98 cohesion, the same game planas last year,and all seems to be falling apart. Ugggh. Clark's 4 turnovers (2 ints, 2 fumbles) should tell the story, because we gained 377 yards of offense. Thank god next week is a bye week.

Tennessee wins 40-13.

Clark 13-29-190-1-2 (he'll be benched next game)
Beyer 12-62-0
Etaton 5-66
The Greek, Gordon 7 tckls
Ogden 1.5 scks

Injuries: 2-3 mos.: FB Jelinek, 3-5 weeks: TE Pearson.

Week 7

Bye week. Baltimore wins this week and stands at 6-1. We stand at 3-3.

Week 8

Cleveland (3-3) @ Pittsburgh (3-3) -3

Borders is still Q, so we go with Beyer again. Benson gets his first start of the year. The Greek stays in the starting lineup. We like Pittsburgh. The Steelersscorefirst then we rip off 31 unanswered points for the win. Our defense is back in form and Casey Beyer reminds us why he was the team MVP last year. Benson doesnt turn the ball over, which is about the best I can say for his performance - I guess he won too, thoug.

Cleveland wins 31-7.

Benson 7-15-81-0-0 rushing: 9-41-1
Beyer 24-195-2
Rid Tubbs 1.5 sacks
Gordon 6 tckls
Ogden 1 sck

Injuries: 2-3 mos.: C Sheldon (HUGE LOSS), 3-5 weeks: FB Jelinek, DE Wiese.

Week 9

Baltimore (6-1) -1 @ Cleveland (4-3)

We're a home dog for the first time in ages - giving the players a little extra incentive. We pull this out with two touchdowns in the last minute of the game. Our defense came to play - our offense? Yuck. We also lose sack leader Kurt Wiese til the end of the season.

Beyer 23-63-1 (whither the magic?)
Benson 9-25-112-1-1
Dunleberger 10 tckls, int for td (DPOW)
Swift 3.0 scks
Wiese 2.5 scks

Injuries: Playoffs: TE McCullough 2-3 mos.: DE Wiese, 3-5 wks: CB Matthews, C Sheldon, FB Jelinek

Week 10

We have a bit of a prob at WR, as Keeper Rob Jeffries is Disgruntled. We have to keep him relatively happy - so the moment he becomes unhappy we'll have to stick him back in the starting lineup.

Cleveland (5-3) @ Charlottesville (5-3) -2

Are they all must wins from here on out? Borders goes back in the starting lineup. We tweak the pass distance prefs to try and play a bit more to Benson's strengths (his medium passing hasnt developed much yet). The moves works - mostly because The Bookstore plays like he is supposed to play.

Cleveland wins 30-23.

Benson 16-23-166-1-1
Borders 32-177-1
Storey, Dunkleberger 5tckls, 1 int a piece
Vanderclute 6 KRB, 0 scks allowed

Injuries: Playoffs: TE McCullough 2-3 mos.: DE Wiese, 3-5 wks: CB Matthews, C Sheldon, FB Jelinek

Week 11

One game out of first. Baltimore, Cincy, Tennessee all 7-2. We have three games remaining against Tenn and Cincy. We can't rely on the Wildcard either - too many good teams. Our scoring defense (147) is #1 in the league. Scoring offense (213) tied for 10th.

Tennessee(7-2) -2 @ Cleveland (6-3)

Tennessee spanked us 40-13 in Week 6, even though we outgained them 377-281 on the ground. Hopefully we wont have 5 turnovers again.

Down 7-3 in the 4th quarter, we decide to do the smart thing and give the ball to Nate Borders. We win! Operation Smashmouth really showed its head to today...51 rushes for 167 yards - and we allowed them but 162 yards of total offense, while garnering 4 sacks and a pick. Dwight Benson (incidentally the second african-american qb to start for the Browns. can you name the first?) plays solidly again, making few mistakes. Now just 1 game out of first. Borders pulls a Moe Riley and gets hurt again...this time a sprained ankle will keep him out next week (he's questionable).

Cleveland wins 20-14.

Benson 13-19-132-0-0
Borders 38-110-2, rec: 4-28
Rerun Tubbs 5 tckls, .5 scks
Swift 1.5 scks
Ogden 1.0 scks
Dill, Barber 4 krb

Injuries: Playoffs: TE McCullough 3-5 wks: C Sheldon, DE Wiese

Week 12

Jacksonville (2-8) @ CLeveland (7-3) -13

Division leading Cincy gets Baltimore this week. Did I mention yet that this is an important game? Well - I told the team anyway. And guess what? We won and Baltimore won! Meaning that the Division now looks like this:
[pre]
AC Central W L T Pct PF PA Div Conf
Baltimore 8 3 0 .727 245 217 5-2-0 5-3-0
**Cleveland 8 3 0 .727 257 164 6-2-0 7-2-0
Cincinnati 8 3 0 .727 300 238 4-2-0 6-3-0
Tennessee 7 4 0 .636 245 207 5-3-0 6-3-0
Pittsburgh 4 7 0 .364 197 246 1-6-0 2-7-0
Jacksonville 2 9 0 .182 140 252 1-7-0 1-8-0
[/pre]

Cleveland wins 24-3 (behind a defense that gives up just 182 total yards).

Benson 12-20-95-1-0 rushing: 7-18-1
Beyer 25-162-1
Sapp 9 tckls
Ogden, Swift sack a piece

Injuries: Playoffs: TE McCullough 3-5 wks: DE Wiese

Week 13

Cleveland (8-3) @ Washington (7-4) E

Tough out-of-conference road game for us. Beyer has the hot hand and starts. Benson again gets the start for us (he's 6-0 as the starter). The QB for Washington is the former QB-in-waiting for the Browns, Roger Brentlinger. This game is kind of a referendum on whether we kept the right QB. No pressure on Benson or anything Well we're down 20-7 with 6:41 left in the 4th quarter and Johnny Unitas enters Dwight Benson's body. 34 yards to Jeffries, 26 to Porter, draw, scramble, and a 4-yd pass to Etaton - its 20-14. 3 and out for Washington and we have the ball at the our 45. 8 plays later and we've stalled. Its 4th and 15 and our season comes down to this. Benson hits Jeffries on a slant, Jeffries avoids the tackle and goes in for the score! Moe Riley makes it 21-20. Washington tries to answer but CB Bell intercepts Brentlinger and returns the ball 44 yards for the score.

Cleveland wins 28-20.(6th straight win behind Benson)

Benson 15-22-221-3-0 (Brentlinger 18-39-183-1-1)
Beyer 23-78-0
Jeffries 6-113-2
Sapp 6tkls, sack
Ogden sack
Finch 4 KRB, 0 sacks allowed

Injuries: Playoffs: TE McCullough 3-5 wks: DE Wiese

Week 14

Cincinnati (9-3) @ Cleveland (9-3) -3

We take our 6 game winning streak into the most important game of the year. A win puts us in sole posession of the division. A loss puts our playoff hopes in jeopardy. Storey intercepts a pass in the first quarter and the rout is on. Cincy can only muster a 53 yard field goal as time expires in the first half. We smashtheir passing game into submission - 6 sacks, 2 ints, as they go 15-44-200-0-2.

Cleveland wins 34-3.

Benson 14-24-164-0-0 (no mistakes)
Borders 24-89-3
Reese 7 punts, 45.4avg, 2in20
Storey 6 tckls, int, td
Woodson 2.5 sck

Injuries: Playoffs: TE McCullough 3-5 weeks: FB Jelinek

Week 15

Denver (11-2) @ Cleveland (10-3) -4

Revenge would be nice here. Number one offense (them) versus number one defense (us). We play them well, but our o-line allows 8 sacks and Denver breaks our losing streak. Baltimore and Cincy win, making another three way tie for first.

Denver wins 23-17.

Benson 20-36-210-2-0
Borders 20-78-0
Etaton 8-112-1
Riddick Tubbs 8tckls

Injuries: 3-5 weeks: FB Jelinek, TE McCullogh

Week 16

Cleveland (10-4) -4 @ Milwaukee (5-9)

We need to win our next two games to get a first round bye. Milwaukee is an inferior opponent and our top ranked defense treats them as such. Baltimore and Cincy also win, setting up a season-ending showdown with Cincy. Our defense holds them to 239 yards, gets 2 sacks and 5ints. The Bookstore is open.

Cleveland wins 34-9.

Benson 16-25-162-1-0
Borders 33-191-3 receiving: 3-21-1 (OPOW)
Sapp 6tckls
Matthews 3 int

Injuries: 3-5 weeks: FB Jelinek, TE McCullogh

Week 17

Cleveland (11-4) -1 @ Cincinatti (11-4)

Wiese is back at full health for this one. Cincy scores with 14 seconds left to get the win. We'll play them in the first round of the playoffs.

Cincinatti wins 28-24.

Benson 9-21-113-1-0
Borders 26-118-1
Lindsay 2 punt returns for 83 yds and a td
Ogden 2 sacks
Wiese 1.5 sacks
Sapp 7 tckls, .5 sacks

Injuries: Done: TE McCullogh, G Vanderclute Questionable: FB Jelinek

Playoffs

Wildcard Round

St Louis 17
Chicago 13

Green Bay 23
Philly 17

New York Jets 24
Miami 16

Cleveland (11-5) @ Cincinnati (12-4) -1

Down 31-16 in the 4th quarter, we manage to cut it to 31-23. We drive to our 45. 2 and 7. Incomplete. 3 and 7. Incomplete. 4th and 7. Benson looks down field...everyone is covered...he tucks the ball under and takes off...for a yard. Ball goesover on downs, Cincy runs out the clock and our season ends quickly.

Cincinnati wins 31-23.

Benson 12-26-159-1-0
Borders 17-79-1
Etaton 2-41-1
Sapp, Tubbs 11 tckls

Quarterfinals

Cincy 28
Baltimore 26

St Louis 3
Carolina 27

New York J 13
Denver 19

Green Bay 15
Minnesota 34

League Finals

Carolina 17
Minnesota 10

Cincinnati 31
Denver 21

Bowl

Cincinnati 17
Carolina 37

End of Season

Honor Roll

G Ben Vanderclute 40-88-45.4% KRB 5 SkA 1st Team Guard
T Herb Dill 33-101-32.6% KRB 4 SkA 1st Team Tackle

Key Players

QB Dwight Benson 10 GS 133-233-1482-10-3 85.1 rush:43-164-2
RB Nate Borders 11 GS 302-1224-17 rec: 23-199-3 (20 tds in 11 GS!)
RB Casey Beyer 5 GS 146-724-5 rec: 11-98
WR Raymond Etaton 52-761-4
WR Burt Porter 44-541-1
LB Gary Sapp 91 tckls, 1.5 scks, 1 int
LB Seth Gordon 73 tckls, 1 sack
DE Reggie Ogden 11.5 scks
DE Kurt Wiese 9 GS 10.5 scks
S Arnold Storey 57 tckls, 9 ints (robbed)

File has been zipped and sent to Darkiller...

Old 01-13-2001, 01:21 AM   #13
WebEwbank
High School JV

Another strange one. We fought through adversity and a early slump, clawed out way into the postseason, and then pancaked. Coach ran out of those lil yeller motivational pills, I guess.

On D, we are where we need to be.

On O, Borders & Beyer are what I'd hoped for: a true 1-2 punch. Is Benson the answer or just the question ? Hopefully Lee Clark opts to retire. Basic maintenance at WR and OL should keep us very happy with these units.

Like most of my stints in the Big Leather Chair by the Lake, this was a talent acquisition phase. Hopefully the Dark Fellow can start off a string of Bowl wins.
WebEwbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 05:47 AM   #14
Morgado
High School JV

Subby,

If only Borders could have stayed healthy! Good showings despite the ravages of injury. What i've generally found running the 75 Offense is that when the team runs the ball 40+ times, we usually come out on top. Although dominant quarterbacking isn't really necessary, that third down changeup is really crucial to keeping the defense off balance. I hope Benson works out for you guys in the seasons to come.

Great seasons and reading (and that goes for the rest of you guys too)! The VCII site is outstanding.
Old 01-13-2001, 08:06 AM   #15
Subby
lolzcat

Thanks guys...Tough year...I definitely think Benson is the answer - he just has a lot of green still.

Team Stats

Scoring Offense: 394 (T-4)
Scoring Defense: 246 (1)

Rushing Offense: 158.6 (1)
Rushing Defense: 83.2 (1)

Passing Offense: 168.2 (36)
Passing Defense: 196.0 (5)

Turnovers: +16 (1)

3rd down: .386 (3) .309 (3)
Penalties: 115-788 (19)

My keeper, along with Gordon, is QB Dwight Benson. Good luck Darkiller...

Old 01-13-2001, 10:58 AM   #16
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Subby,
I had to modify a few things that i had in mind since i just read you have Benson as you're keeper...
This is too bad actually since Lee Clark DID NOT retire and i decide to go -for the moment- in another direction...
which means that basically i was on the verge of trading Benson when i saw you made him your keeper..
So have a look at what I did, i did not trade him..that was close but it's a good thing i went over here to get a look...but i had already started season 2028 so you might no be too pleased. sorry about that.
Anyways, that complicates the QB situation a little but i'll stick with my choices since I started it BEFORE reading you post.
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Old 01-13-2001, 11:00 AM   #17
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Village Challenge II

Season 2028

For 2027 :
Team Performance : 72/100
Franchise Value : 100/100
Profit Loss : 58/100
Difficulty : 74/100

YEAR END SCORE : 78

Please welcome the following players for induction
into the Hall of Fame this season:
Donny Dayoc
Mercury Oliver
Deron Gunn
Adam Foley
Vincent Winslett

Two players retired : DE Sedrick Copeland and CB Roy Mathews.
Unfortunately Lee clark decided to hang on for a 16th season and I am forced to franchise him...This is a blow to this team, but nothing we can do about it.

I decide to keep our Head coach Courtney Joseph and lead Scout Erik Johann since they've done a remarkable job so far and both still have outstanding skills (especially Courtney).

45 players are already signed for 2028 and only 1 starter is a FA (S Arnold Storey) but QB Clark is a keeper so no need to question any move : he HAS to be franchised.

Financially speaking, we are not that good : our profit last year went down by 85% and our costs jumped 12% (this explains our 58/100 in profit).
Still the attendance is 100% (fan loyalty as well) and we made the playoffs for a 25th time in 29 seasons so I will raise ticket prices a little.

We are currently $48,410,000 under the cap and i'm now going to renegociate a bunch of contracts of high profile players. We need to cut our costs a bit but as I said, the Lee Clark unretired issue is a blow since he will NOT start and will cost us a lot.
Except Clark we only have 5 players FA including 11 year S Arnold Storey which we will try to resign -but we won't be "agressive"- ; we won't keep the other 4 backup FAs.

Our team is so good at every positions that it is kind of scary : we don't have any particular need and i feel like a spoiled child. The thing is, though, we actually have too many "star" players that are -it's obvious- expensive.
I don't want our Browns team to become the FOF version of the 2000 Washington Redskins.
So I may trade some players this year or the next to make room for younger, cheaper players.

Instead of going "strong" in the free agent market (which is an expensive market and -sorry- but we NEED to be more careful financially wise), I will look for trades. I'm most willing to give up a couple 1st round picks for nice cheaper veteran players.

Free-Agency :
Starting Safety Arnold Storey decided to accept our 1 year $5M offer. And we also signed a backup Center Lamont Walz (5 year Vet, former 1st round pick -31st overall in 2024-) who has some good capacities and should be an efficient backup to starter Leo Sheldon.

Trade Offers :
The Detroit Lions have inquired about Kurt Wiese and are willing to give their n°1 pick this year (16th) + FB Hunter Shreiber.
The New York Giants come up with an interesting offer : their n°1 pick (7th) + a Center for RB Casey Beyer.
Both offers are rejected though.

The 2028 NFL Draft :

We own three 1st round picks (10th, 15th, 31st) as well as a 2nd, 3rd and a 4th rounder.

The Quarterback issue :
Now we have to be serious on the QB topic.
No more fooling around from one guy to another we have to settle on a prospect and STICK with him long term.
I said many times I didn't like Lee Clark, and he proved me right since he never really fullfilled the expectations placed in him. Anyways, barring devastating injuries, he won't start this year.
On the roster we currently have two young QBs :
Dwight Benson (6 year vet) who is now pretty advanced in his "developpement" and had has winning experience.
the other QB being Sammy McKnight (3 year vet) who has NEVER started any game and is still a "work in progress" compared to Benson.
Both, though, have great potential (and both were 2nd rounders).
Benson is a 5"11 QB whereas McKnight is 6"4 (this COUNTS for me )
Actually 6"4 is one inch taller than what I look for (6"2 - 6"3) but this McKnight guy seems to have intangibles that I like and he reminds me of a young Blaine Davies or some great QBs that i've had over my careers.
A look at this year's draft QB prospects and no one stands at all except for a certain Leo James (6"2 220 pounds out of Kansas) but i'm not thrilled.
So basically the options are as following : either stich with Benson OR McKnight...or trade for a QB...or wait until next year.
We will adress that AFTER the draft.

With no particular need and no outstanding prospects, this draft is not what I envisionned so it is Trade time ! and will benefit from it greatly
I trade our 1st pick (10th) + our 2nd rounder for Minnesota's top flight TE Marvin Welch !!!
Welch is arguably the best TE in all of the NFLn he was the 7th overall pick in 2023.
He is young (6 year vet) with umbelievable ratings (98/95/97/97/96/92/98) !!!
the scouts rate Marvin Welch currently at 94 with an future estimate of 99 !
This is a huge trade since we couldn't have done a better job in the draft with that 1st pick.

2028 Draft Report:

Rnd 1 (10th) - pick traded to the Vikings for NFL's best TE Marvin Welch

Rnd 1 (15th) - Reuben Hopkins, G, Wesleyan (27/74 32/94 68) scouts say he has a potential of 96 which would make him a star..he's currently at 38 (4th G out of 5 on roster)

Rnd 1 (31st) - Leo James, QB, Kansas (23/68 30/91 25/84 20/74 22/85 90 26/84 17/58 96 84)
Scouts rate his with a future at 86. Hiw weakness is his throwing power (58) but he is a great scrambler (96) and could avoid the pressure by using his legs. Doesn't seem -at 1st glance- as talented as Benson or McKnight but except from the throwing power rating, could be special. Will be tested in Pre-season.

Rnd 3 - Alex Holmes, CB, Texas A&M (5/17 2/10 35 100 97 11) absolutely horrible ratings except for...Kick and Punt returns where he will be a blast to watch. He's already a lock for returning those and I hope for a bunch of TDs this year.

Rnd 4 - Warren Lewis, CB, Boise State (26/65 23/52 44 70 96 65) Nothing too special about him, will be a backup if he makes the team.

Trade Offers
The Jaguars want G Duane Henson,
The Rams want Kurt Wiese and the Colts want...newly acquired TE Marvin Welch
all trades are rejected again.

We sign every players and waive backup CB Lincoln Lindsay.
I will keep all 4 QBs on the roster for the Pre-Season and i'll make some clear cut decisions for our future after it.

We then trade long time Starting TE Bruce Pearson (14 year vet now, replaced by Welch) + a 1st rounder next year + a 4th rounder for Kansas City's Kicker Blaine Chandler (ranked 2nd among NFL Kickers).
K Chandler is just in his 3rd NFL season (2nd in the NFL only to a 15 year vet) and has great ratings of 80/84 98 96.
We release Kicker Moe Riley.

We trade 7th LB Jim Rich (a promising young one but we arlready more than full at the position) for the Eagles n°1 DE D.J Givens.
Then we sign FA DT Darnell Starks (a good player that gives us some much need space at the DT position)

We release 3rd RB Moe Flemming, saving us some cap room, and we sign FA RB Otis Hawkinks to take his job at a lower cost, Hawkinks being also slightly better than Flemming.

We are $30,060,000 under the cap at the start of the pre-season
The Browns sell 99,900 season tickets for the season out of a capacity of 99,900.

After training camp we sign FA T Van Chandler (84 82 63) to a 1 year $2M deal.

The Browns are "worth" $2,532,360,000 (1st NFL)
Stadium (98) 1st
Roster (100) 1st
Support (99) 1st
Economy (54) 13th

Pre-season along with QB analysis :

We finish the preseason 3-1 and the offense looks as good as ever recording 35, 34 and 43 points in 3 of the 4 games we played.
At QB we played McNight, Leo James and Benson and let Lee Clark be inactive all the time.
the result was very very positive for the young QBs and Sammy McNight, though listed at 66 (to 77 for Benson) WILL BE the Browns starting QB.
I believe he has more upside than Benson. As for rookie Leo James, he had a very good pre-season and will develop into a true QB soon.

McNight 15/22 134 3 1 *** 9/15 123 1 0 *** 11/17 132 1 0 *** 7/8 102 3 0
Benson 8/11 120 1 0
James 8/18 105 0 1 *** 7/12 62 0 0 *** 12/15 163 2 0

Pre-Season Totals (for the 2QBs that played in more than 1 game) :
Sammy McNight 42/62 (67,7%) 491yards 8TDs 1INT
Leo James 27/45 (60%) 330yards 2TDs 1INT

Injury Report:

Nate Borders, RB - Torn Thumb Ligament, full strength in 2-3 Months
Brenden Swift, DT - Broken Arm, full strength in 2-3 Months
D.J. Givens, DE - Hyperextended Knee, full strength in 0-2 Weeks
Herb Dill, T - Sprained Ankle, full strength in 0-2 Weeks

The first two are big blows to this football team. Nate "the bookstore" Borders is as talented a RB as we've ever had but i'm starting to question his ability to stay healthy. Hopefully he can rest his wounds quicker than what the docs envision.

I've made the decision to go with McNight and develop him into an All-League QB and a future great. Benson was told of the front office's decision yesterday and didn't say more than this " I expected something like this to happen since i didn't play a lot in pre-season. Browns want to go in another direction than what i expected, too bad...but i'll look for an opportunity to start anyways".

Also good to see that in the 3rd pre-season game (a win over Saint Louis) Casey Beyer had a HUGE game : 21 carries for 193yards 9.1yds/c 3TDs !

Roster Cohesion :

passing (73)
Off Line (92)
Deff front (93)
secondary (87)

Sammy McNight is the Cleveland Browns starting QB and Leo James is the backup. Dwight Benson will be the 3rd stringer and Lee Clark will be inactive.
I take some big risks here letting the top two QBs (according to scouts) at positions #3 and inactive but this will pay in the long run. I have no doubts about it.
Sammy McNight will become a great QB and Leo James will have a fine career either as his backup or better.

McNight, entering his 3rd NFL season, has only thrown 14 passes so far and will make sunday his very first Regular Season start.
He picked jersey #8 because as he said wednesday to the media "Steve Young was my favourite QB, though i wasn't even born when he retired after the '99 season..."

now let's get on the regular season.
Old 01-13-2001, 01:21 PM   #18
Subby
lolzcat

Oh well - I still dont understand your preocupation with QB height in a game where it has no bearing - but what can you do?

How come you added a another DE to a unit with three Excellents? Just curious...

Im sure it will all work out - I had a tough time making moves when we were already stocked at every position...this might be the hardest part of the game - juggling all-stars...perhaps we need more restrictive house rules?

Old 01-13-2001, 01:49 PM   #19
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Marmel:
Damn. I was hoping there was a game plan named after me. Maybe I'll make one up.

Nah, who wants a game plan that can only produce 2 rushing yards a gam?
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote