Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-12-2024, 01:36 PM   #9951
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
It doesn't take 60 votes. That's a self-imposed rule they don't actually have to abide by.

And regardless, you only need a simple majority if done through reconciliation which is how they would have done it.

49 votes doesn't do much in reconciliation or in a majority, but you knew that.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2024, 01:43 PM   #9952
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I thought the Democrats had control of the Senate.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2024, 04:05 PM   #9953
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
I thought the Democrats had control of the Senate.

No one believes you're this dumb. Obstinate and self-righteous, sure, but not this dumb.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2024, 04:49 PM   #9954
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

You're blaming Republicans for not voting for a Democrat's bill. It's as silly as Trump blaming Democrats for the wall not being built. They're the opposition party.

If you want to blame members of your own party, have at it. But the minority party is not responsible for passing your legislation.
Old 09-12-2024, 05:52 PM   #9955
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
You're blaming Republicans for not voting for a Democrat's bill. It's as silly as Trump blaming Democrats for the wall not being built. They're the opposition party.

If you want to blame members of your own party, have at it. But the minority party is not responsible for passing your legislation.

Stop gaslighting, the bill had enough support to get 60 and Trump killed it and as others have said, it would have been DOA in the house too. Beyond that is a solid talking point, "if the GOP wants a secure border why would they sink this bill that would have accomplished that."
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM   #9956
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

unpopular opinion that probably gets me drummed out of the cool Democrats club: The SAVE act doesn't bother me much. I think that it is largely unneeded and probably could and should be improved, but it isn't a bill a would lay down in traffic to try to stop.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM   #9957
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The biggest problem with SAVE is that it would seemingly invalidate all voter registration and require a new document standard to re-register. It simply couldn't be done by November.
Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM   #9958
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The biggest problem with SAVE is that it would seemingly invalidate all voter registration and require a new document standard to re-register. It simply couldn't be done by November.

I think that's why they want it. It's a no-win for Democrats. If they don't support it, Republicans will claim it's so they can do fraud. If they do support it, it'll never be implemented in time so they'll also say it's because Democrats want to commit fraud.
Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM   #9959
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
unpopular opinion that probably gets me drummed out of the cool Democrats club: The SAVE act doesn't bother me much. I think that it is largely unneeded and probably could and should be improved, but it isn't a bill a would lay down in traffic to try to stop.

As currently written I think it's trash. Anything like this should be looked at after the election, not right before. It also specifies that it is effective immediately. The biggest issue, though, is there's no funding included to assist states in getting it implemented so how would we have an election by November?

There are far better ways of getting something like this implemented if they took the time to do it correctly using REAL ID.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:53 PM   #9960
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I feel like REAL ID is just a running gag by the government at this point.
Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM   #9961
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think that's why they want it. It's a no-win for Democrats. If they don't support it, Republicans will claim it's so they can do fraud. If they do support it, it'll never be implemented in time so they'll also say it's because Democrats want to commit fraud.

In so many ways the GOP just doesn't care if things can work. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if they used a chaotic SAVE Act implementation as an argument to throw the election to the House and SCOTUS might agree.
Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM   #9962
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

You’re welcome to the independent club.

I don’t mind the SAVE act but agree it can’t be implemented well for Nov. maybe the compromise is Dems agreeing to bring it to a separate vote in the Senate after election is done.

But I do think the Dems have an upper hand here with elections so close.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM   #9963
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I never suspected it could be implemented before November. There is no legal way that could happen, and the Republicans I have seen discussing it even admit that. There should be a couple of negotiated changes for sure. I would think that it could be tied to passing a renewal of the voting rights act, but of course, that would all require some kind of actual functioning Congress that could negotiate in good faith.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM   #9964
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

It Mitch McConnell said previously that we shouldn't do something so rash as to replace a Supreme Court Justice in the last year of a President's term, then surely a wholesale revamp of voter ID laws should also wait a few months?

The smart thing for Democrats to do would be to let it die in committee. Keep tabling it while also saying "oh yes, we're definitely looking into it seriously".
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM   #9965
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

As it exists currently it says changes go into effect as soon as it becomes law. I doubt the GOP would change that since their whole argument is that we need it to keep Kamala from stealing the election. Who in the GOP has the guts to face the wrath of Trump?
Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM   #9966
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

lol

Speaker Johnson put the CR with SAVE up for a vote and couldn't pass it. The GOP is a total shit show.
Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM   #9967
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
lol

Speaker Johnson put the CR with SAVE up for a vote and couldn't pass it. The GOP is a total shit show.

It failed by 20 votes. It wasn't even close. I don't even know how you manage to fail at counting your votes that badly.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM   #9968
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

He knew it was going to fail. This was to provide a CYA when he negotiates a six month clean CR, in an attempt to avoid getting McCarthy-d.. May not stop the firebrands from having a go.. wonder if the democrats would love the chaos of yet another house speaker election during election season.
Old Today, 04:35 AM   #9969
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
He knew it was going to fail. This was to provide a CYA when he negotiates a six month clean CR, in an attempt to avoid getting McCarthy-d.. May not stop the firebrands from having a go.. wonder if the democrats would love the chaos of yet another house speaker election during election season.

I agree with you. But we'll see if GOP really has a Plan B.

It's a little reassuring to see some members of the GOP risking the ire of Trump this close to election season.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:21 AM   #9970
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Kathy Hochul has a lower net approval in NY than does Trump.

Worst Dems in America.