Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-08-2024, 08:44 PM   #101
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

That was some lovely detroit offense and defense there.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 09:56 PM   #102
thesloppy
Pro Starter

This all looks like classic Lions
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 10:37 PM   #103
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Best call of the night was Stafford taking heads, it looks like.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 10:38 PM   #104
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Montgomery went beast mode at the end there.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 11:04 PM   #105
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

WOW Montgomery is a MONSTER! Pick him up now if he's avaialble!
Old 09-08-2024, 11:05 PM   #106
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Odunze is a good pick. You can't pass up that kind of value. The issue is they didn't use their massive cap space to sign competent offensive linemen. There were centers available at relatively cheap prices, but we needed to spend money on Gerald Everett for some fucking reason.
My point it that they didn't need a WR this year. Are there no good ones in next year's draft class? So for this year Oduze was a bad pick when it was clear that the lines needed help. That #9 pick was worth a lot to some teams especially with Odunze still on the board. A smart GM would have made a deal.
Old 09-08-2024, 11:11 PM   #107
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
This all looks like classic Lions

Is this sarcasm of some kind? Or...I'm just not sure how to read statements like this anymore
Old 09-09-2024, 01:27 AM   #108
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstraub View Post
No Offense but throwing 200 passes to your kids (with nobody trying to hurt you) is not the same as having, at minimum, three large and fast men trying to hurt you while throwing.

I agree QB play looks sloppy but lets not get carried away here... The QB position is not easy to play.

I think it’s too early to make definitive judgement on anything for another week or two at least: one less preseason game, starters barely played and a Sunday gap means players are severely undercooked.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 02:23 AM   #109
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Seems like the Giants or panthers have a reasonable shot at not winning any games. The Raiders as well.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 02:38 AM   #110
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

So how's that round 1 draft pick shaking out, atlanta?
Old 09-09-2024, 06:35 AM   #111
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
So how's that round 1 draft pick shaking out, atlanta?

If they keep losing, probably pretty good. I imagine if the playoffs seem far off they will play Penix. Hell, he may give them the best shot at winning right now if the line is really as bad as people in this thread say it is. Cousins was never mobile and is coming off an injury that will likely make him even less so.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 06:42 AM   #112
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
I think it’s too early to make definitive judgement on anything for another week or two at least: one less preseason game, starters barely played and a Sunday gap means players are severely undercooked.

We can draw some immediate conclusions (Chiefs will be good, Panthers will suck etc) but I agree with the general point. I know the old cliche is that certain QBs can roll out of bed and put 300+ yards, but no. These guys still need to play at least a three quarters of preseason football. That is now happening during the first 2-3 weeks of the regular season instead of games two and three of the preseason.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 06:44 AM   #113
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
These guys still need to play at least a three quarters of preseason football. That is now happening during the first 2-3 weeks of the regular season instead of games two and three of the preseason.

If a coach really isn't getting his team ready for the regular season and you are taking losses for it why wouldn't an owner move on from that coach? His job during the pre-season should be getting the team ready for the regular season. If he fails that then he has failed that portion of the season.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 07:10 AM   #114
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 08:01 AM   #115
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
If they keep losing, probably pretty good. I imagine if the playoffs seem far off they will play Penix. Hell, he may give them the best shot at winning right now if the line is really as bad as people in this thread say it is. Cousins was never mobile and is coming off an injury that will likely make him even less so.

The line is what they are. They are a great if not elite run blocking group. They are mediocre at best in pass blocking. The RT is just too big and slow to handle a great speed rusher like Watts, and the coach for some unexplained reason stopped using the blocking TE to help slow him down in the second half.

As for Cousins, I'm starting to feel like there is a combination of not wanting him to move much with the fact that according to Vikings fans he has always been a slow starter. He doesn't play well when uncomfortable, and that game was probably peak uncomfortable. Hopefully he settles in and they can figure out a way to get him in a better comfort zone. If not, about game 4-5 we might be seeing Penix.

edit: Just to add, if Penix does start they may need to rejigger the line as well. That would make the worst pass blocker his blindside linemen. I think they will have to replace McGary some how.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 09-09-2024 at 08:03 AM.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 08:47 AM   #116
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Brady/Brees gave us unrealistic expectations of QB longevity.

Maybe a 36 year old QB coming off an Achilles tear just isn't able to play at a high NFL level anymore. That's not a crazy outcome.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 09-09-2024 at 08:48 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 09:07 AM   #117
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, curious to see how the 40yo coming off one does tonight.
Old 09-09-2024, 09:09 AM   #118
QuikSand
lolzcat

Are we worried about Burrow and the Bengals? Or is this just their traditional slow start?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 09:16 AM   #119
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Depends. I saw a number of sources report that his wrist was still bothering him. If that's true, then I'd definitely be concerned. But without that I think I'd give it another week or two before panicking.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 09:29 AM   #120
cuervo72
Head Coach

I lose a bit of confidence in a QB who bleaches his hair, or frosts his tips or whatever is going on there.
Old 09-09-2024, 09:54 AM   #121
Drake
assmaster

A couple of observations from the games I was able to catch this weekend:

1. The crowd energy for the Brazil game was weird and often incongruous to the point of being distracting. Sort of like the crowd energy from Americans watching soccer...where most spectators can sort of tell when something positive has happened, but they're not 100% sure if it was impressive or not.

2. I didn't look up who the referee was from the Lions game last night, but he was cracking me up all night by somehow suggesting through world-weary tone and body language that they weren't just penalties, but some variety of moral failure on the part of the participants. I would happily watch him referee every game for the rest of the season.

Edit: Apparently the ref's name is Adrian Hill, and he's also a rocket scientist. https://www.cbsnews.com/baltimore/ne...-field-latest/

Last edited by Drake : 09-09-2024 at 09:59 AM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 10:21 AM   #122
cuervo72
Head Coach

Oh, watching the Brazil game was really getting my wife annoyed. The sound mix was off, so much of the time it was tough to hear what the announcers were saying. Part of that was probably the crowd doing whatever they were doing, but also the PA announcer was LOUD and far too noticable.

On the crowd, I told my wife that they are used to soccer where nothing happens for 95% of the game so they kind of have to keep themselves occupied with chants and sing alongs and annoying musical instruments and the like.

(Seriously -- I do not GET the whole soccer anthem thing. Like, who the hell goes to a sporting event to sing show tunes? WTF is that about??)
Old 09-09-2024, 10:27 AM   #123
Ksyrup

It's like watching a Japanese baseball game. Just relax, eat a hotdog, drink a beer and enjoy the game. The moments of frenzy are actually few and far between.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-09-2024, 10:38 AM   #124
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
If a coach really isn't getting his team ready for the regular season and you are taking losses for it why wouldn't an owner move on from that coach? His job during the pre-season should be getting the team ready for the regular season. If he fails that then he has failed that portion of the season.

Depends on how much the owner believes one loss means the coach did not have the team ready for the regular season.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 09-09-2024, 10:48 AM   #125
Ksyrup

In the case of the Bengals specifically, assuming a Week 2 loss to KC, the Bengals will have started 0-2 in 5 seasons and 1-1 in 1 season under Zac Taylor.
Old 09-09-2024, 10:55 AM   #126
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
“Let’s get rid of our good QB and trade a bunch of assets for a bad QB and give him a fully guaranteed contract.”

“Hmmm. Tempting. Do you have anything more to seal the deal?”

“He’s also a sex pest.”

“Sold!”

The Watson debacle requires some over the top, extreme accountability panel, trial or something. Everyone on the football side needs to explain why they should not be banned from making football decisions again and for the owners from owning the team. Nothing about this signing has been a positive for anyone or anything besides Watson's bank account.
Old 09-09-2024, 02:56 PM   #127
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Steelers punter is out for the season and I have to think that’s worth at least a half loss or more.
Old 09-09-2024, 03:03 PM   #128
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
The Watson debacle requires some over the top, extreme accountability panel, trial or something. Everyone on the football side needs to explain why they should not be banned from making football decisions again and for the owners from owning the team. Nothing about this signing has been a positive for anyone or anything besides Watson's bank account.

I dunno, Watson at least was at one point a quality QB. Yes the sex pest stuff is distasteful, but he’s at least done it on the field. Daniel Jones never has been an above average QB.

That contract and then doubling down when in position to take the QB of the future and move on is unforgivable IMO.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 03:11 PM   #129
Ksyrup

Didn't Watson miss 2 full seasons, or something close to that, when they traded for him?
Old 09-09-2024, 03:35 PM   #130
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Didn't Watson miss 2 full seasons, or something close to that, when they traded for him?

I don't think so.

He missed 1 full season (held out) in HOU. THEN they traded for him and then he missed 11 more games while suspended by the league.

So he missed nearly two full seasons, split between HOU & CLE i.e. before AND after the trade
Old 09-09-2024, 03:37 PM   #131
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Odunze getting an MRI on his knee today. Brutal news if it's serious.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 03:45 PM   #132
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

This is pretty specific

Deshaun Watson is sued for sexual assault and battery - NBC Sports
Old 09-09-2024, 03:46 PM   #133
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

Before yesterday, he had only played in 12 games total over the previous 3 seasons
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 03:46 PM   #134
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

I mean the fact that they could have had an excellent player to actually HELP COusins like a lineman, WR, or back
Old 09-09-2024, 04:41 PM   #135
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I guess the question for the Browns is how long do you stick with Watson this year? The team around him is really good and they don't need a lot of help. Jameis makes some bad decisions, but he's also willing to throw down field which that offense desperately needs.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 04:45 PM   #136
GrantDawg

"I mean the fact that they could have had an excellent player to actually HELP COusins like a lineman, WR, or back"
There was zero chance they would have used that pick in any of those. It would have been a defensive lineman. They have top ten picks at wr, rb, and te. The whole offensive line are first and second round picks. They aren't lacking talent on offense. They are lacking quarterback play. That was what Cousins was supposed to bring and what Penix brings in the future.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 09-09-2024 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-09-2024, 04:45 PM   #137
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Yeah, curious to see how the 40yo coming off one does tonight.

I had to let my twin brother, a Jets fan, know that i hoped his starting QB lasted more than 4 plays this season, being the kind thoughtful twin that i am.

Last edited by Thomkal : 09-09-2024 at 04:48 PM.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 06:51 PM   #138
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

So did anyone compile a list of how rookies and players on new teams did?
Old 09-09-2024, 06:55 PM   #139
Ksyrup

OK, I don't need to be RFK Jr. to smell a ripe conspiracy theory. Watson's albatross contract + continuing poor play + horrible Week 1 loss + Browns kept 4 QBs out of training camp = they had this lawsuit in their back pocket just ready to give the signal to drop, right?

Do we know whether he's got a morals clause or anything related to additional lawsuits/accusations that would allow them to rescind his contract or claw back some/most of the signing bonus?
Old 09-09-2024, 06:55 PM   #140
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I don't think so.

He missed 1 full season (held out) in HOU. THEN they traded for him and then he missed 11 more games while suspended by the league.

So he missed nearly two full seasons, split between HOU & CLE i.e. before AND after the trade

So yeah, he missed something close to 2 full seasons.
Old 09-09-2024, 06:57 PM   #141
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
So did anyone compile a list of how rookies and players on new teams did?

Marvin Harrison Jr shouldn’t get fitted for a gold jacket yet.
Old 09-09-2024, 06:58 PM   #142
Ksyrup

Bo Nix averaged 3.3 YPA on 42 attempts, the 6th lowest YPA of a QB with 40 or more attempts since the invention of the wheel, or something like that. So there's a rookie stat for you.
Old 09-09-2024, 07:05 PM   #143
GrantDawg

"Do we know whether he's got a morals clause or anything related to additional lawsuits/accusations that would allow them to rescind his contract or claw back some/most of the signing bonus?"

According to Mike Florio, yes.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2024, 07:06 PM   #144
Ksyrup

Keeping 4 QBs out of camp makes this hella suspicious, IMO.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-09-2024 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-09-2024, 07:08 PM   #145
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Bo Nix averaged 3.3 YPA on 42 attempts, the 6th lowest YPA of a QB with 40 or more attempts since the invention of the wheel, or something like that. So there's a rookie stat for you.

Old 09-09-2024, 07:23 PM   #146
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am certain I said it somewhere on this board and I know I've said it in person several times. Bo Nix literally can not throw the ball downfield. Literally every pass at Oregon was a 3 yard out and their freakish athletes did the rest.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 07:44 PM   #147
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

wow I forgot about Rodgers. Didn't realize he was well. He's looking fantastic. Calm centered. Not panicking. Not scrambling. That was a great drive.
Old 09-09-2024, 07:46 PM   #148
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I am certain I said it somewhere on this board and I know I've said it in person several times. Bo Nix literally can not throw the ball downfield. Literally every pass at Oregon was a 3 yard out and their freakish athletes did the rest.

Perfect fit for Payton then, because Nix looked like a much cheaper, faster version of Russell Wilson yesterday. He forgot about the freakish athlete part, but in fairness to Payton, his hands are tied with 20% of their payroll still tied up in Wilson.
Old 09-09-2024, 08:26 PM   #149
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I dunno, Watson at least was at one point a quality QB. Yes the sex pest stuff is distasteful, but he’s at least done it on the field. Daniel Jones never has been an above average QB.

That contract and then doubling down when in position to take the QB of the future and move on is unforgivable IMO.

After dealing with the likes of Pat Schumur, Joe Judge etc. Jones went 9-6-1 and won a playoff game under a new head coach/offensive genius of the day before the Giants signed him to his current contract. It was definitely a mistake but it is not that egregious for a team to resign their top 5 draft pick who is a QB after that sort of season. They can also get out of their mistake at the end of this season for a $22,210,000 dead cap hit as far as I could tell. It did probably cost the Giants their QB of the future but there will be another QB of the future next year or the year after that because there is always a QB of the future and that team might be bad enough to get one. Or maybe they will find a 40 year HOFer who wants to also play in that stadium. You just hope he is better than Jones. That is not ideal but I feel that is far from being unforgivable.

Watson missed an entire year before he went to Cleveland. He was someone else's pick. You could also say that giving up what they did in draft capital also cost them a chance to get their QB of the future with . The Browns can not get out of their mistake at the end of the season because they nor can any team can't survive the $172,770,000 cap hit if they let Watson go. The Chiefs can get off of Mahomes' contract with just a $77,838,045 hit. That is unforgivable.
Old 09-09-2024, 09:54 PM   #150
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I don't get the Daniel Jones thing at all. He does not move the chains. He has never moved the chains. If you're OK with that, Carson Wentz is a better choice.

At least Deshaun Watson showed a lot of promise before he melted down in Houston, but instead of being happy getting paid with a good second contract, he wanted out and that's not leadership.

The Texans were more than happy to get a king's ransom for him and they're set up to be good for quite a while if Stroud keeps progressing.

The Browns... who knows if yesterday was a fair test. The Cowboys can torture quarterbacks and make just about anyone look bad. But if Watson really is still that bad, or close, they cannot get out from that contract. Not now, not next year, really not at all.

Too early to worry about the newbies, but Bo Nix and Caleb Williams both really struggled to do much of anything.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote