Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-05-2024, 10:06 AM   #401
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I mean, do we really care if it's a N-H by committee? A no-hitter is a big individual feat, and one that is rare. A guy throwing seven no-hit innings is not an everyday thing, but it's not celebrated. Nor are RP throwing no-hit innings. This just happens to be instances of these thrown together, but at that point why should I care?

I don't disagree, but the practice has been to send out BREAKING notifications when any team has a no-hitter going past the 6th. It doesn't matter if it's an individual or a committee situation. I just found the whole thing odd that the first time I heard about it was after it ended. That's unusual.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 10:32 AM   #402
PilotMan
Head Coach

Alright kids! It's the home stretch and it's time for your White Sox update!

It's been 10 games since the last update. Over this run the Sox have gone 2-8 and actually lowered the winning percentage to .229 with a 33-111 record. They are fully on pace to set all three records across the board.

Currently there are 144 games played, and 18 games remaining on the season. The tide if full in favor of the White Sox breaking this historic record. The scale of bad that this represents cannot be overstated. The next worst team in the entire league is the Colorado Rockies at 54-90. That is 21 games better than the White Sox. Again, to put this into perspective, all the teams of the AL West, the AL East, and the NL Central are all within 21 games of the lead of their division. THE LEAD. That's half the league with a narrower spread between the best and the worst in their division than the White Sox are from the NEXT WORST TEAM IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE! Holy crap this is amazing!

So what needs to happen from here on out?

The White Sox would need 43 wins to have 119 losses and fully avoid all records. From here? That's gonna have to be a 10-8 record. Just no way. No way that's happening. What else?

Most Losses = 121 would need to go 41-121...8-10 the rest of the way. I'm less excited about this since there's 162 games in a season, but whatever. They would need to play .444 ball the rest of the way. This is almost totally assured to be broken.

Worst winning percentage = <.250 Would need to go 40-122 or 7-11 the rest of the way. Still not as excited with this one, but it does fully define them as the all time worst. They would need to play .389 ball over the final 18 games. Still not likely, but only 2 ML teams (Rockies and Marlins) have played worse than that over the entire season, so from a professional standpoint, it's totally doable for a normal team.

Least wins = <40 Would need to go 39-123 and 6-12 over the final 18 games. That's a .333 winning percentage and something every other team could do, but over this season, the Sox haven't even come close. This is the big one. This is the record that deserves to be broken by this team. In other words, this team can win 1 out of the every 3 games and still break this record.

Of the teams they have to play, the Guardians and the Padres are still playing for something, so expect teams that want to win. The A's, Angels and Tigers could be sending out more prospects, which will give the White Sox a fighting chance. Final word, if the White Sox lose their next 3 games it's over and we'll celebrate!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 12:04 PM   #403
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I believe the White Sox will pick 10th and the A’s 11th in 2025 due to the new lottery rules.

If the Reds or Rockies finish in the top 6 they will not be in the 2026 lottery and can pick no higher than 10th.

As are not in the lottery this year cause they finished in the top 6 in 23/24 and received revenue sharing. White Sox were in the top 6 in 2024 and don’t receive revenue sharing so they can’t pick in consecutive years.

Last edited by stevew : 09-10-2024 at 06:36 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2024, 04:48 PM   #404
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This certainly explains a lot.

David Bednar is tipping pitches

Last edited by stevew : 09-10-2024 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-10-2024, 04:58 PM   #405
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I believe the White Sox will pick 10th and the A’s 11th in 2025 due to the new lottery rules.

They should do this in other leagues too. Teams that don't try should not be getting the best players in a draft.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2024, 10:12 PM   #406
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Went to see Skenes vs the Marlins on Monday and I’d be lying if I could identify anyone in the Marlins lineup.
Old 09-10-2024, 10:56 PM   #407
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Went to see Skenes vs the Marlins on Monday and I’d be lying if I could identify anyone in the Marlins lineup.

Well you KNOW that was gonna make me look up that lineup.

And I will use as my standard "know them aside from MLB The Show "

From tonight's lineup: I would have known Jake Burger from his past. Mayyyyyybe Jesus Sanchez if I had a lucky brain moment.

The rest? Only Jonah Bride is recognisable to me even WITH MLBTS influence.
Old 09-11-2024, 01:26 AM   #408
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Oh yeah I forgot I did know of Burger.
Old 09-11-2024, 07:19 PM   #409
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Shohei Ohtani has 16 games left to hit 4 HR and steal 3 bases to reach 50/50.

He is legitimately insane
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2024, 09:04 AM   #410
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cal Raleigh is 2nd all time for primary Catcher Home Runs thru 4mlb seasons. He’s also one of only 12 catchers with 2 30 HR seasons.
Old 09-12-2024, 11:59 AM   #411
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Cal Raleigh is 2nd all time for primary Catcher Home Runs thru 4mlb seasons. He’s also one of only 12 catchers with 2 30 HR seasons.

He's outstanding defensively too. He also crushed 2 homers in the game against the Mets that I went to.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2024, 12:51 PM   #412
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

You can also argue that he's been a little unlucky with a .250 BABIP.
Old 09-12-2024, 01:04 PM   #413
PilotMan
Head Coach

White Sox can play .400 baseball the rest of the season and still break the Mets record for least wins in a season. 9 of the remaining 15 games are on the road, and 3 of those games are against a team in playoff contention.

They are 21.5 games behind the next worst team in the entire league. The .224 winning percentage is the worst since the late 1890s teams. That's not even comparable to today's game. Neither really are the 1916 As or the 1935 Boston Braves. Even the 62 Mets get a pass as an expansion team.

The level of bad that this team has been is nearly impossible to digest in the modern era of baseball. It's so hard to be this bad.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 09-12-2024 at 01:04 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2024, 01:22 PM   #414
Atocep
Coordinator

What makes it even more incredible is, in the era of tanking, they were actually sort of trying this year. They had no incentive to tank.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2024, 01:28 PM   #415
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I don't know how they even did it. Their opening day roster was bad, but not that bad. And the team they had a couple years ago was trending to contender. Ton of young talent, strong farm system, and a mix of good vets.
Old 09-12-2024, 08:14 PM   #416
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Thomkal, did you see this?

Quote:
The Minnesota Twins released minor league catcher Derek Bender on Thursday after he told opposing hitters the type of pitch that was coming to the plate during at-bats of the game last week that eliminated his team from playoff contention, sources told ESPN.

Bender, a sixth-round draft pick out of Coastal Carolina in July, was playing for the Fort Myers Mighty Mussels, the Twins' Low-A affiliate. In the second game of a Sept. 6 doubleheader, Bender told multiple hitters for the Lakeland Flying Tigers, a Detroit farm team, the specific pitch being thrown by starter Ross Dunn, sources said.

Lakeland scored four runs in the second inning and won the game 6-0, to capture the Florida State League West division and eliminate the Mighty Mussels from playoff contention after they had held a six-game lead three weeks earlier.

Fort Myers coaches were notified by Lakeland coaches about Bender's pitch tipping following the game, sources said. Bender's willingness to tip pitches surprised Lakeland players, and there are no indications of wrongdoing from the Flying Tigers, sources said. Bender had told teammates he wanted the season to be over, according to sources.

Bender spent the final two games of the season, which the Mussels won, in the team's bullpen instead of his typical place in the dugout, sources said.

Through his agency, Bender declined comment. The Twins declined comment.
Old 09-13-2024, 09:32 AM   #417
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Thomkal, did you see this?

Will be interesting to see if this goofball will be given another chance by another club.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2024, 10:44 AM   #418
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just another punk from Coastal Carolina

Sources -- Twins cut minor league catcher Derek Bender for tipping pitches - ESPN
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2024, 10:48 AM   #419
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Thanks for joining us, Lathum
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2024, 10:52 AM   #420
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Well. Shit then.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2024, 12:20 PM   #421
Suicane75
Coordinator

Dude just wanted to go home. I can respect that.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2024, 02:13 PM   #422
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Will be interesting to see if this goofball will be given another chance by another club.

Probably the Astros
Old 09-13-2024, 02:58 PM   #423
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Guessing it depends on how good a prospect he was. Seems like there would be some major trust issues no matter where he goes and that seems important when you're trying to work with a pitcher. That's also a great way to get your ass beat.
Old 09-13-2024, 03:15 PM   #424
Danny
Head Coach

He is done. Its one thing to cheat to help your own team but how could anyone trust him in the future. Silly way to throw your career away.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2024, 06:29 PM   #425
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
He is done. Its one thing to cheat to help your own team but how could anyone trust him in the future. Silly way to throw your career away.

Maybe he already knew his career was done?

Quote:
A catcher and first baseman selected with the 188th pick this year, Bender signed for $297,500, slightly below the $320,800 slot for that selection. He will keep the entirety of his bonus, sources said.

Bender played 19 games for Fort Myers, hitting .200/.273/.333 with two home runs and eight RBIs. In three seasons at Coastal Carolina, he hit .326/.408/.571 with 32 home runs and 153 RBIs in 144 games.

The draft was what the middle of July? He signed on July 24th. He was assigned to the Mussels on August 6th. $297,500 for a month of playing shitty baseball in Fort Myers?

Morally reprehensible? Absolutely.

Financially? Well....um...
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2024, 10:56 AM   #426
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Maybe he already knew his career was done?

The draft was what the middle of July? He signed on July 24th. He was assigned to the Mussels on August 6th. $297,500 for a month of playing shitty baseball in Fort Myers?

Morally reprehensible? Absolutely.

Financially? Well....um...

Done as a player? I guess. Maybe he had no interest in ever becoming a coach? In any case I can't imagine anyone hiring him for a baseball job in any capacity after this. I at least know I wouldn't. Can he even go home and get the local high school baseball team's manger job?
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2024, 11:05 AM   #427
Danny
Head Coach

Why would he have been done? Hes 21 and just drafted in the 6th round. Maybe not a future star but he could still stick around and have a career in the game.
Old 09-14-2024, 11:07 AM   #428
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
but he could still stick around and have a career in the game.

Seems obvious that he'd decided he didn't want one.

edit to add: This quote from draft day didn't age very well
Quote:
Bender’s former coach at St. James High, Robbie Centracchio, said that day that Bender does “things the right way at all times.”

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-14-2024 at 11:13 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2024, 11:17 AM   #429
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Seems obvious that he'd decided he didn't want one.

edit to add: This quote from draft day didn't age very well

Well yes buf im saying he wasnt done just because of a slow start. Obviously hes done now. Perhaps he was used to being a star and couldn't handle struggling.