Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-22-2024, 08:56 AM   #151
QuikSand
lolzcat

PFF guided take-aways:

QB - we know where we are here, Murray is expensive but effective, Ridder is worth a stab as a #w but has not impressed

HB - running backs don't matter, Conner remains a very efficient player, backups are fine, buzz on rookie Benson has been mid

WR/TE - we're counting on MHJr to be an impact #1 right away, Michael Wilson, Zay Jones, and Greg Dortsch have completely different skill sets to complement him -- let's think of this sorta like we're aspirationally trying to build up the Lions pass catchers group. Not an awful plan. I feel like we're one quality guy short, but I don't see any easy path to fix that, lots of teams are.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2024, 09:00 AM   #152
QuikSand
lolzcat

OL - potential major weak spot, we really need P Johnson to develop into a high end #1 OT for this to come together at all, I felt like an early pick here made sense, they didn't, I get it... I guess the "plan" this year is Jonah Williams gives you passable play at RT, you cross your fingers along the interior, and install Paris at LT? If the team makes the jump I'd want to something like 7-10 and "frisky" then this feels like a spot for a veteran addition next year, right? Or you draft a RT with pick 12?
Old 08-22-2024, 09:15 AM   #153
QuikSand
lolzcat

DL/Edge - Looks like the Zaven Collins experiment is working okay, he's solind against eth run and still has got potential as a rusher, Gardeck the Barbarian is a replacement-level guy best as a situation pas rusher, and I don't know what else is happening on the edge with Ojulari out (not that he was proven, but at least there was a storyline there)... rookie Robinson may play some inside some outside, so maybe he can add some pressure, but I don't think there's enough here overall to think a 4-man rush is getting to anybody... another hallmark of a team needing help, lack of legit NFL talent on the other side of the LOS.

LB - with two recent 1st round picks spent here, this ought to be a major strength. Ugh. I guess you hope that Mack Wilson stays healthy and can play at replacement level or better, and you get something similar from Barnes and White. have not heard any camp buzz about anyone emerging here.

DBs - I actually kinda like where we are here, Baker is fine (PFF grade isn't strong but he passes the eye test overall) and PFF grading likes Jalen Thompson at the other safety slot, with Chachere a decent reserve/rotation guy. CB Sean Murphy Bunting is not awful (bad grade last year, so... maybe?) and a rotation of guys at the other corner jobs, including 2nd round rookie Melton and 3rd rounder Jones. CB might be a weakness, but I doubt it will feel like the reason they are a losing team. Another area where next year we reassess, and contemplate a fill-in veteran to help bring the team over the hump.
Old 08-22-2024, 09:19 AM   #154
QuikSand
lolzcat

Okay, so... overall, this feels like it's a standard rebuild underway. The coaching staff last year seemed to get more out of a deeply subpar roster than we'd have expected, so there are some reasons to feel okay.

They draft DL/DB/DB so the immediate emphasis is clear. Seems fine. They need to rebuild some infrastructure type things (one more heavy DL, a count-on OL, a reliable perimeter corner, maybe one more offensive receiving target) but most teams have a list of questions that sound similar (though the good teams are worried about their first tier of depth the way this team is about several starter slots).

Vegas pins them as a 7-10 team. The books fielding O/U at 7/5 have the OVER paying +170 or so. Those fielding them at 6.5 have the OVER paying a shade under even money. I think that sounds about right.
Old 08-22-2024, 09:22 AM   #155
QuikSand
lolzcat

If the wave of roster cuts in the next week or so yields someone intriguing at DL, maybe you give that a real look? (Miami cut Teair Tart, that sounds like a red flag to me, but that's the sort of guy I'm thinking about here)

But I don't think you go out and sign a malcontent veteran like CB Xavien Howard on a one-year deal, no real upside for this team in doing that. Just throw your young guys out there and see what you have. This doesn't feel like a two-guys-away roster, more like ten-guys-away, which is okay.
Old 08-22-2024, 09:48 AM   #156
QuikSand
lolzcat

AZ Republic article projecting the 53-man roster following their first preseason game:

archive.is

They have Tune beating out Ridder for QB2, and SA Chachere missing the cut amidst a youth movement...
Old 08-22-2024, 01:36 PM   #157
Thomkal
Head Coach

If they can keep their starters healthy and on the field, the Cards can have a good season say 9-7 or more. But there are so many new faces and moving parts its hard to predict until we see how they play. Harrison needs to stay healhy and show he's a #1 receiver right from the start.

I didn't think Tune was even going to be on the roster after getting Ridder given how terrible he looked last year so I don't really want to see either one of them on the field unless its a mop-up situation. Murray may be on his way out the door if he struggles. They pretty much have no reliable TE if McBride stuggles/get injured

There are just too many question/young talent on the OLine to know for sure if the coaches have improved the holes here. I see they signed a center-Froholdt-late in training camp. If this line can't protect Murray it will be a long season indeed. DL is much the same, not many sacks in preseason but I do like Collins and Gardeck. They have already had a season-ending injury here they need to not have anymore. Linebackers seems to have a couple of sold starters, who knows if they get hurt.

I have been a fan of Murphy-Bunting but he needs to solidify that he's a strong starter. Budda Baker needs to keep earning that big contract and stay healhy. not a lot of depth here for injuries but probably some of the corners could play here if need be.
Old 08-25-2024, 07:13 PM   #158
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well after that preseason giving up 38 to the Broncos, have to say things aren't looking good for my beloved Cardinals
Old 08-25-2024, 07:27 PM   #159
QuikSand
lolzcat

heh, i play in a survivor pool, but each week you have to pick a guaranteed loser (and cannot use that team again)... I'm taking ARZ to lose in Buffalo
Old 08-25-2024, 07:31 PM   #160
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
heh, i play in a survivor pool, but each week you have to pick a guaranteed loser (and cannot use that team again)... I'm taking ARZ to lose in Buffalo

Can't say I blame you for that Quik, but kinda glad cards don't have to play in a blizzard there
Old 08-27-2024, 11:52 AM   #161
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
AZ Republic article projecting the 53-man roster following their first preseason game:

archive.is

They have Tune beating out Ridder for QB2, and SA Chachere missing the cut amidst a youth movement...
Looks like Ridder is being cut today. I wonder if he ends up on a practice squad somewhere.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 12:52 PM   #162
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Looks like Ridder is being cut today. I wonder if he ends up on a practice squad somewhere.

have to think he will given the lack of QB talent
Old 08-27-2024, 02:45 PM   #163
QuikSand
lolzcat

Cards cuts:

T Dennis Daley
LS Joe Shimko
WR Daniel Arias
DB Michael Ojemudia
WR Daylen Baldwin
CB Delonte Hood
LB Chris Garrett
S Verone McKinley III
OL Austen Pleasants
DB T.J. Carter
QB Desmond Ridder
DT Naquan Jones
TE Blake Whiteheart
OL Marquis Hayes
CB Bobby Price
OL Marquis Hayes
WR Andre Baccellia
DL Myles Murphy
TE Bernhard Seikovits
Old 08-27-2024, 06:26 PM   #164
Thomkal
Head Coach

Arizona Cardinals make roster cuts, transactions to reach 2024 final NFL roster

Other than Ridder, not a lot of surprises thought RB Michael Carter would make the team
Old 08-27-2024, 08:23 PM   #165
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
well this was unexpected-falcons trading desmond ridder to the Cards for WR Rondale Moore.

ouch
Old 08-27-2024, 08:26 PM   #166
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
everyone is looking for the next Tank Dell, the smallish productive guy that seems so obvious to succeed as a superslot... maybe it's Malik Washington?

- YouTube

He's in my Cards mocks from here on out, independent of whether I target WR early. They need bodies there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I’m all in on Malik Washington! All. In.

Malik Washington made the 53 with the Dolphins, FYI, and had an impressive pre-season. He may see some early season field time, as they are ravaged with injuries, and I'm not sure what they are doing at WR to be honest.
Old 08-28-2024, 12:48 PM   #167
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Malik Washington made the 53 with the Dolphins, FYI, and had an impressive pre-season. He may see some early season field time, as they are ravaged with injuries, and I'm not sure what they are doing at WR to be honest.

I was thinking about Malik just this morning and got sidetracked before I could find out if he made the roster. On the one hand, I felt bad that Dolphins drafted him and he'd be buried behind Waddle and Hill, but he is in a great offense.

The Lions ended up keeping UDFA Isiah Williams out of Illinois as their 4th WR. I feel like he's the bargain basement version of Malik.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2024, 10:40 PM   #168
Thomkal
Head Coach

Ridder is now on the Cards practice squad
Old Today, 06:08 AM   #169
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

What a game! Nice job guys! Keep up the good work!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:45 AM   #170
Thomkal
Head Coach

I think we might need to help carolina next