Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-19-2024, 06:07 PM   #1
AlexB
Pro Starter

Great ‘lost’ albums & bands

A variant of the what are you listening to thread, we all have those bands that flew under the radar and yet should have been huge…

I start you off with

(Two of my all time favourite bands and the inspiration behind this thread, despite them releasing two albums and one album respectively)

And a hometown band just for sentimental reasons, as Crazyhead’s Some Kind Of Fever really deserved more love both then and now

Last edited by AlexB : 07-19-2024 at 06:25 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2024, 06:27 PM   #2
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I know Jellyfish, but had never heard Crazyhead before, which speaks to your point. It's good! Reminds me of Redd Kross.

These two French-Canadians put out exactly one LP (half of which they play here) and then not-so-promptly broke up, but I sure do love that LP. I thought people would be impressed! They were not:

Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-20-2024 at 12:17 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2024, 06:33 PM   #3
AlexB
Pro Starter

Solids are more than solid, especially as a duo. It’s late here, but that is a full listen tomorrow
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2024, 09:46 AM   #4
HerRealName
College Prospect

I've gone back to that Solids video a lot, I really like it.

I really like KEXP's live music in general. This is Aeon Station's (formerly most of The Wrens) performance there. The songs were mixed better at KEXP than they were on their album where they seemed to suffer from producer malpractice.

HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2024, 11:44 AM   #5
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

A couple of my favorites. First one is Elis, a German band that was active from 2003-2012. Their first singer, Sabine Dunser, died from a cerebral hemorrage just before their third album was released. They did release one more album with a new singer but that was it.

And then Hail the Villain. They only released one album, Population: Declining, in 2011 and then their singer left. Got to see them in concert, was a great show.

Old 07-20-2024, 12:43 PM   #6
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
I've gone back to that Solids video a lot, I really like it.

I really like KEXP's live music in general. This is Aeon Station's (formerly most of The Wrens) performance there. The songs were mixed better at KEXP than they were on their album where they seemed to suffer from producer malpractice.

Yeah, that does sound great! I too have been impressed by the quality of their sound & plenty of my favorite relatively low-profile bands have played there, which I appreciate. I probably wouldn't know about KEXP if I didn't have friends in Seattle that were fanatic about them, they're lucky to still have a quality radio station.

On the Solids front, they broke up close to 4 years ago, but just two weeks ago they made a surprise Facebook post out of nowhere, announcing 3 shows they're going to be playing in November, in and around Quebec. I'm considering traveling up there, or else I'll surely never see them.

Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-20-2024 at 02:24 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2024, 07:09 PM   #7
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Jellyfish was a life-changing band. Unforunately for me, they didn't change my life until about 5-6 years after they broke up.

The band that came closest to their vibe for me put out one amazing album at the end of the 90s, right as I got into Jellyfish, Falkner, and went on a huge power pop bender for about a decade.

Sugarbomb is the band. They were out of DFW and fronted by a couple of brothers.

They released one album, Bully. They had a mild hit with the song Hello which was used in a couple of movies (Van Wilder was one of them). They really captured that Queen vibe that Jellyfish incorporated, although instead of blending it with a 70s pop/psychedelic vibe, they had a more modern/late 90s sound.

A couple of my favorites:

This is a live track from a radio broadcast, a cover of Killer Queen. This is a spot-on, amazing cover:

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote