Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-12-2024, 06:00 PM   #10151
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Catering to the 1% is what AEW does. WWE really needs to avoid that.
the 1% of what, exactly?
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 06:52 PM   #10152
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
the 1% of what, exactly?

The 1% of pro wrestling fans that consumes everything wrestling. The 1% that hangs out on internet message boards and talks about wrestling. Us pretty much.

Last edited by dubb93 : 06-12-2024 at 06:53 PM.
dubb93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 08:05 PM   #10153
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
“NOAH and WWE will make a major announcement at the BUNTAI event in Yokohama on June 16th!

“A message from a certain wrestler is also being released!”

403 Forbidden

I think it works much better for AEW, to be honest. WWE fans are very insular, and much more casual.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 08:32 PM   #10154
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I think it works much better for AEW, to be honest. WWE fans are very insular, and much more casual.

I didn't say I thought this specifically was a great idea, but figured I'd throw it out here anyway.

Honestly, I don't like it much for the NOAH product, which was good enough in person last week that Will had already mentioned that he should probably expand his various subscriptions & try to watch more from Japan besides NJPW.
Old 06-13-2024, 07:25 PM   #10155
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I’m getting frustrated missing Dynamite’s main event every week because DirectvStream won’t let me extend the damn recording.
Old 06-15-2024, 10:10 PM   #10156
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

The Indie promotion that we go to all their shows ran an angle tonight that culminated in a Dog Collar match being set for July 20. I wonder how that is going to turn out?
Old 06-15-2024, 11:27 PM   #10157
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Have there been any recentish dog collar matches? My son asked what they are after the show and I sent him a video of Piper-Valentine. Idk, I’m old I guess.

Last edited by dubb93 : 06-15-2024 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-16-2024, 12:18 AM   #10158
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

This was one from DEAN~! on wrestlemania weekend
VIDEO - Mad Dog Connelly v DEMUS highlights from DEAN~!!! - YouTube

Also: CM Punk vs MJF
Old 06-16-2024, 08:21 AM   #10159
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Can't forget FTR vs. The Briscoes.

Somewhat oddly, Jay Briscoe's penultimate match was a dog collar match while Brodie Lee's last match was also a dog collar match (vs. Cody).
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 10:54 PM   #10160
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't know about that last segment.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 11:06 PM   #10161
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't know about that last segment.

That might not be THE dumbest thing I've seen in probably 2+ decades, but it's waaaay up the list.

I'd argue that the last James Mitchell into The Underworld (or whatever the hell it supposed to be) was actually even dumber ... but that was also on a non-serious C-grade program too.

That shitshow made Broken Matt look like Shakespeare, and based on the arena reaction honestly I'm wondering if the IQ of the paying fanbase might not be at a low we haven't seen in decades.
Old 06-18-2024, 05:46 AM   #10162
Flasch186
Coordinator

When I saw they were playing murder I said out loud

“They fucking blew it.”

And I was the only one in the room. I hope I’m wrong. But how do you reverse people being murdered in the play?

Smh

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 07:10 AM   #10163
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm wondering if the IQ of the paying fanbase might not be at a low we haven't seen in decades.

The reaction was for Bray. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.
Old 06-18-2024, 11:20 AM   #10164
Mota
College Benchwarmer

It reminds me of a time I was running an e-fed over 25 years ago. I was super busy and didn't have time to read every interview before posting them in my recap show. I was going to read them later. Then someone sent me a note, "Hey, you realize that Stygian (who had a kind of demonic gimmick) just blew up a church full of people in his latest segment, right?". Oops. Had to do a comment from the announcers in the next show saying "thankfully the church was empty", hahaha. I always read everything before posting after that.
Old 06-18-2024, 03:19 PM   #10165
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm not a big fan of the spooky supernatural gimmicks. It's fine in smaller feds like Lucha Underground or TNA as it gives them something different from the others.

There's probably a way to pull off a faction like that. But the over-the-top production values and then completely no-selling it after it happened just comes across weird to me.
Old 06-18-2024, 05:34 PM   #10166
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of the spooky supernatural gimmicks. It's fine in smaller feds like Lucha Underground or TNA as it gives them something different from the others.

I’m not saying I liked this angle as I haven’t watched it yet but I just want to point out that WWE is and always has been the wrestling place for the supernatural. One of the most iconic WWE wrestlers of all time is The Undertaker and Bray Wyatt is a multi-time champion that has taken the world title into WrestleMania and both had supernatural gimmicks.

It isn’t even just those two. Off the top of my head I can think of The Boogeyman, Kane, The Ministry of Darkness, and The Brood as other successful supernatural gimmicks and I’m sure there are many other examples of this stuff littered throughout WWE history (Papa Shango interfering in the main event of Wrestlemania for example.)
Old 06-18-2024, 05:46 PM   #10167
RainMaker
General Manager

Agree, although a lot of those gimmicks are old. And later on characters like Kane were almost tongue-in-cheek with how serious you were supposed to take them.

I still wasn't a fan of the Fiend gimmick. Cool concept, Bray was a creative guy, but it's kind of tough to go anywhere with it. It ultimately ended up with him burying Rollins and then having that weird match with Orton that most people made fun of.

I'm sure they'll sell a ton of merch and fans will tune in for the next couple months to see what kind of stuff they do. But I feel like it's tough to create real storylines with the supernatural stuff in today's business. Feels like Bray should have been working in Hollywood.
Old 06-18-2024, 06:30 PM   #10168
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Agree, although a lot of those gimmicks are old. And later on characters like Kane were almost tongue-in-cheek with how serious you were supposed to take them.

I still wasn't a fan of the Fiend gimmick. Cool concept, Bray was a creative guy, but it's kind of tough to go anywhere with it. It ultimately ended up with him burying Rollins and then having that weird match with Orton that most people made fun of.

I'm sure they'll sell a ton of merch and fans will tune in for the next couple months to see what kind of stuff they do. But I feel like it's tough to create real storylines with the supernatural stuff in today's business. Feels like Bray should have been working in Hollywood.

Pretty much this.

As I noted at some point last night, being sorry that Windham Rotunda died and absolutely hating 90% or more of his "creative input" aren't mutually exclusive positions.
Old 06-18-2024, 06:37 PM   #10169
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Orton vs. Bray was absolutely one of the worst wrestling matches of all time. One thing I never understood about Bray was wrestling with the different colored arena lights. The red lights or even the “Mountain Dew pitch black match.” I don’t even think Gunther vs Tomohiro Ishii would be watchable under that crap.
Old 06-18-2024, 07:02 PM   #10170
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
As I noted at some point last night, being sorry that Windham Rotunda died and absolutely hating 90% or more of his "creative input" aren't mutually exclusive positions.
Old 06-18-2024, 08:14 PM   #10171
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

If any wrestler had this kinda heat these days, they'd flee the arena and never return

x.com

(The Rougeau Brothers in Mexico in 1990)

Remember how the fans would be chucking stuff into the ring at the end of Nitro after yet another NWO run in? These fans are so amped, they're doing it during a REST HOLD.
Old 06-18-2024, 08:33 PM   #10172
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Ahhhh Mexico lol

What was the Jericho comment, about getting doused with a full cup of cold piss?
That you REALLY had to hate someone bad to hold a cup full of piss long enough for the temp to drop just in order to hit 'em with it

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-18-2024 at 08:34 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 04:52 AM   #10173
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, I think the coolest single moment of Will's trip to Japan has now occurred.

He had some time to kill before heading off to drink his way around/through Shinjuku, a perfect opportunity to go a couple train stops away and visit Minoru Suzuki's merch store (basically a small shop in the basement of a mini-mall).

Lo & behold, the KING himself was in. Gracious for a photo and a quick bit of conversation, the legend-turned-proprietor even bagged up the shirts himself.

Not sure I've heard my child as excited after something since he was about 7 or 8 and did photos with Samoa Joe and a fair chunk of the TNA roster.
Old 06-20-2024, 07:00 AM   #10174
Mota
College Benchwarmer

If I met Minoru, I think I'd have to ask him for a chop. That is a pretty cool experience!
Old 06-20-2024, 12:35 PM   #10175
RainMaker
General Manager

The Joe Hendry gimmick is really goofy and completely over with me. Not sure if it'll work on a big stage but NXT seems perfect for it. Song is catchy too.
Old 06-20-2024, 12:44 PM   #10176
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Okay, I think the coolest single moment of Will's trip to Japan has now occurred.

He had some time to kill before heading off to drink his way around/through Shinjuku, a perfect opportunity to go a couple train stops away and visit Minoru Suzuki's merch store (basically a small shop in the basement of a mini-mall).

Lo & behold, the KING himself was in. Gracious for a photo and a quick bit of conversation, the legend-turned-proprietor even bagged up the shirts himself.

Not sure I've heard my child as excited after something since he was about 7 or 8 and did photos with Samoa Joe and a fair chunk of the TNA roster.

This is so incredibly cool. Trying to imagine Minoru bagging up some shirts for a customer has me laughing.

In Japan, is wrestling just considered more mainstream? It seems like it doesn't have that negative association you find in the states.
Old 06-20-2024, 12:53 PM   #10177
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In Japan, is wrestling just considered more mainstream? It seems like it doesn't have that negative association you find in the states.

Yes, absolutely ... but also, kinda sorta, not entirely either.

It gets fairly serious sports page treatment for example. The fans are a pretty good cross section, though he's coming away feeling like it's considerably more promotion-by-promotion than we previously understood. So it's segmented, but in a way different from the promotional loyalties we're accustomed to here.

At the same time, similar to anime I suppose, it's more mainstream but by acknowledging your fandom there is a certain degree of ... marginalization that you subject yourself to. There's just a bit more people willing to accept that marginalization, if that makes sense.
Old 06-20-2024, 06:35 PM   #10178
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I was in attendance last night with the boy at AEW Dynamite here in Fairfax. Pretty great show, it does seem small-time compared to WWE, go figure. I was surprised how small the ring looked as compared to on TV. The wrestlers looked bigger, however. All the hometown folks (Sanjay Dutt, Nyla Rose, Lio Rush, Serena Deeb) all got huge hometown pops which was very cool. No pyro, thank goodness.

If you're interested, I'm on the hard-cam all night long - left side in a blue polo that stands out amongst all the black tshirts. The boy is on my right with Eddie's "Deez Nuts" shirt.

Last edited by Toddzilla : 06-20-2024 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-20-2024, 08:25 PM   #10179
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

If this news about Lucas Oil is correct then I need to start saving now. Royal Rumble, WrestleMania, AND SummerSlam within the next handful of years?
Old 06-20-2024, 08:33 PM   #10180
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
I was in attendance last night with the boy at AEW Dynamite here in Fairfax. Pretty great show, it does seem small-time compared to WWE, go figure. I was surprised how small the ring looked as compared to on TV. The wrestlers looked bigger, however. All the hometown folks (Sanjay Dutt, Nyla Rose, Lio Rush, Serena Deeb) all got huge hometown pops which was very cool. No pyro, thank goodness.

If you're interested, I'm on the hard-cam all night long - left side in a blue polo that stands out amongst all the black tshirts. The boy is on my right with Eddie's "Deez Nuts" shirt.

I feel like AEW would come across better if they did medium sized arenas. Venues of like 5k where it can get real loud and has an intimate feel. Can still do big arenas for big shows.

When I do watch their weekly show, it just feels off because they're filling out maybe 5000 people in an 18000 seat arena.
Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM   #10181
RainMaker
General Manager

Jacob Fatu to WWE. Looks to have slimmed down a bit but looked pretty menacing.